Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Seven Sister do you attend? Ca. 1952

It's 1952 and you're a clever pretty white girl from a good family. Which Seven Sister, or similar woman's college, do you choose to attend, and why?

Barnard College, Bryn Mawr College, Mount Holyoke College, Radcliffe College, Smith College, Vassar College, and Wellesley College. Also in the choice: Skidmore, Bennington, Sarah Lawrence, Mills, Scripts and Sweet Briar.

You are NOT allowed to go off the list, or to Katharine Gibbs to become a secretary for example.

(Also feel free to respond: are you lezzie curious? Sexually liberated? A slut? Pure and innocent? What's your goal in life?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2021 12:53 AM

I've read that these colleges all had different "personalities" but I don't know what they are, so it is hard to make an informed choice.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2015 1:08 PM

I would go to Barnard. I want to meet a nice Jewish boy, so where better to look than across the street?

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2015 1:31 PM

Since I am related to Sophia Smith of SMITH COLLEGE, I choose there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2015 1:39 PM

Only fuggos and lesbos go to Barnyard, Smart pretty girls go to Vassar.

Smith is for sluts.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2015 1:49 PM

Sweet Briar almost closed recently, so I would hope I'd have the sense to avoid that one.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2015 1:56 PM

Here OP, let this childrens cartoon illustrate the various different "personalities" of the Seven Sister.

However if you have to ask, obviously you are strictly NOKD, may I suggest a school more fitting your social status, I hear SUNY Buffalo has low standards, why not try there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2015 1:58 PM

I don't think Sweet Briar is a 7S, but it is a nice school, nonetheless, and I am glad it was saved.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2015 1:59 PM

Right R7, the second list are schools that were not the original 7 Sisters, thats the first list.

R6 - I know the personalities, Maybe your note was to R1, not me the OP. Great Cartoon.

I'm Sharon from Pittsburg, and I dream of being a NY bohemian but my parents won't let me go to Barnard. So I'm going to Vassar. I'll spend my time in the West Village and go to a few Yale Football games, but I'm going to end up dating for 2 years a hot wise-cracking Jew from Brooklyn College who won't take no for an answer. I'll pretend that I dumped him after I graduate and move to Paris, but in reality he calls me a Shiksa slut in my senior year and dumps me in May, when he moves to LA to take a job at MGM from his second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2015 2:11 PM

I'm guessing, Sharon from "Pittsburg," that you wouldn't have gotten into a Seven Sisters college not knowing how to spell the name of your hometown. Or maybe that didn't matter yet in 1952.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2015 2:17 PM

Well I only know about Sweet Briar because the classiest girl in my high school announced she was going there. She wore a different outfit every day of the school year--never wore the same thing twice. I found out later that she went to UT Austin instead!!

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2015 2:22 PM

I choose Smith, if it was good enough for beloved FLOTUS and DL Icon Bar Bush.

I shall also follow in her Smith alumna illustrious footsteps, mainly getting knocked up by some Navy pilot from a much lower social class and dropping out after 2 weeks., and running off to Midland Texas to raise a family of imbeciles whom with he soiled my womb

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2015 2:15 PM

Smith College - as a non-American, one of the few I've heard of. And the great Sylvia Plath went there.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2015 3:13 PM

Mills is in OAKLAND! How GHASTLY! Definitely not top drawer!

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2015 3:14 PM

How is Bryn Mawr? No one ever mentions that school.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2015 3:23 PM

Marilyn Monroe as Sugar Cane mentioned Bryn Mawr in Some Like it Hot. But she lied and said she graduated from the Sheboygan Conservatory of Music.

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2015 3:29 PM

Bryn Mawr has an endowment of 850 million and 1,300 undergraduates. I'm sure its a lovely place to study with good facilities.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2015 3:31 PM

Last week I climbed the Seven Sisters Hill from Engle Street to Route 9W.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2015 3:39 PM

I'm an Upper Richmond Girls' School girl!

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2015 3:44 PM

[quote] Also in the choice: Skidmore, Bennington, Sarah Lawrence, Mills, Scripts

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2015 3:47 PM

Sylvia Plath was Barbara Bush ( Pierce at the time)freshman year roommate at Smith , even though Bar left after only 2 weeks, her influence on Plath's work and life are well known.

"Oh for heavens sake Sylvia , stop blubbering., I haven't seen your damned journal , you had it in the kitchen last night, why don't you look in the oven again?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2015 3:48 PM

Bar did finish her degree though after the war, an Arts degree from a small private college in Maine, Loathesome Hall.

Bar is not one to lord her degree over others, but she is quite proud of being "A Loathesome Old Girl"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2015 4:06 PM

Two of these bitches died and nobody told me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2015 4:10 PM

Q: What's the difference between a Smithie and a Ferrari?

A: Most men haven't been in a Ferrari.

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2015 4:12 PM

Swarthmore, darling, Swarthmore.

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2015 4:23 PM

I'm a Vassar girl, forever faithful to the V. After Vassar, I'm off to Hollywood for a taste of glamour. I've an executive secretary position lined up with the chief of an important bank in Beverly Hills. Can't wait to add West Coast birds to my Life List.

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2015 4:24 PM

[quote]I'm a Vassar girl, forever faithful to the V.

You can say that again, bulldagger!

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2015 5:05 PM

"Hi girls! Did you hear that Princeton had to switch to artificial turf in the football stadium?"

"Well, they had to do something to keep their cheerleaders from grazing at half-time!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2015 6:06 PM

That's Scripps, OP, not Scripts. And yeah, I'd go there.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2015 1:30 AM

Bryn Mawr College because it's the prettiest campus(possibly the prettiest in the country) and would have lots of rough blue collar townies to slum with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2015 1:47 AM

Kate Hepburn was a Bryn Mawr girl although she almost got thrown out at least once.

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2015 2:17 AM

Today I would go to Mills, but not in 1952. It had no prestige then.

It depends on how I feel about the big city. If I'm scared of it, Bennington (or more probably Middlebury). If I like it Barnard since it's in New York. As a gay man I like the cities, but my pretty clever white girl may I might find them scary. Also it's the 1950s, so I'm hoping for an MRS, right, so it has to provide opportunities to socialize. In that case I might go for Mt. Holyoke (Smith might intimidate the guys).

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2015 4:37 AM

Amherst

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2015 4:38 AM

Amherst went coed in 1974. So no. Pay attention to directions, darling.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2015 10:07 AM

R24 Swarthmore was always coed, so no. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2015 10:08 AM

My mother went to Bryn Mawr in the late 1950's, so I can answer from her point of view. My mother applied to Wellesley, Bryn Mawr, Smith, and Vassar. She felt that Mt. Holyoke and Radcliffe weren't at her level (Holyoke below, Radcliffe above) and that Barnard was too Jewish (my mother is sort of a self-hating Jew). She was rejected by Wellesley (she believes because of a Jewish quota) and chose Bryn Mawr because it was stronger academically than the others, which in her mind seemed more directed toward the Mrs. degree.

My mother was rather unusual in her focus, and she became rather successful as a result.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2015 11:00 AM

Bryn Mawr, because of their Honour code, and I'd be an honourable kinda girl [but still pretty and smart though].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2015 1:47 PM

I'd be the one at Bryn Mawr who got all the drugs and alcohol for the other girls. I'd bring them to parties where all the rough trade were. One of them would pull a train after she passed out on too much booze and pills. She'd regain consciousness at guy number three. A colored boy maybe. She'd come crying to me the next day. I'd be all: "Betty please. Are you crying because it happened or that you enjoyed it?" Not to worry though I'd know where to get an abortion too.

The funny thing is, at our 20 year reunion, I'd be the one with the long lasting marriage and be the stay at home mom to five beautiful kids. "I'm sorry you're still filled with this anger and hurt Betty but that's NOT the way I remember it. "

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2015 9:45 PM

I need to re-watch "The Group."

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2015 10:17 PM

The Group was an OK movie but this scene is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. Who would have thought Hagman and Bergen would be a lesson in subtlety?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2015 10:36 PM

"I never picked you for a Sapphic. Or to put it crudely-- a LEZBO! Were you always that way?"

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2015 12:08 AM

I didn't go to Scripps, but I slept there a lot.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2015 12:14 AM

Vassar and I'm lezzie only on campus, not in New York, Palm Beach and Sun Valley.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2021 10:17 PM

Mt Holyoke, alma mater of DL fave JULIA PHILLIPS

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2021 10:40 PM

I knew a really obnoxious black woman who went to Wellesley when she was middle-aged. Lived in the dorms and everything. She was a former crackhead with dentures. She was obsessed with new money v. old money, shit like that. Had to be personality disordered.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2021 10:53 PM

She was also a slut and slept with anyone who would take her. Now she’s a fake lesbian. Loved being a lesbian at Wellesley, too.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2021 10:54 PM

Wellesley since it’s about halfway between mummy and daddy’s home in Boston and their summer place in Westerly.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2021 10:54 PM

Seven Sisters of the South

Agnes Scott College – Decatur, Georgia.

Brenau University – Gainesville, Georgia.

Hollins University – Roanoke, Virginia.

Mary Baldwin University – Staunton, Virginia.

Salem College – Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Sweet Briar College – Sweet Briar, Virginia.

Wesleyan College – Macon, Georgia.

I would avoid those Yankee lesbian hotbeds like the plague!

Spend four years sweating around with all those big ol' Field Hockey Gals?

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2021 11:00 PM

47 comments and no one has said the most commonly heard phrase about two of these girls' schools:

"Smith to bed, Holyoke to wed."

That's what all us Ivy guys said in the 1960s. And before.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2021 11:13 PM

I'm a pure but innocently lezzie curious, liberal arts major at Mills who liberates everything after reading "Lady Chatterly's Lover" on a long, un"lost" weekend.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2021 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!