Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can we talk about coffee bean grinders?

I'm the guy who posted 2 weeks ago about my scathingly brilliant purchase of a Cuisinart refurbished Keurig-type single cup coffee maker. It is working brilliantly and I'm very happy with my choice.

I went to Costco and bought 1 of every type of coffee they had offered (I'm using the reuseable K-cup with my own coffee). I have about 70 lbs of coffee in the house now. I haven't tried them all yet, of course, but I'm telling you the Dunkin' Donuts ground coffee is much better than Maxwell House or my old standby, Community Coffee (a New Orleans blend).

But I accidentally purchased many bags of coffee BEANS instead of ground, so now I have to think of a way to grind them. Can we talk about coffee bean grinders?

This is what I've found out: There is the whirring blade type grinder and the "Burr" grinder. The burr grinder has no blades. The burr grinder crushes the coffee bean between two rotating circular discs made of steel or ceramic. The distance between the two blades determines how fine the coffee particle size will be.

Well, I noticed that the Cusinart water RUSHED through the Community Coffee blend because of its large particle size---and gave me a weak cup of coffee.

The Dunkin Donut coffee had a much finer particle size, and when the Cuisinart coffee maker shot hot water through it, the product was a slow drip because of this finer sized coffee particle---and the coffee was much, much stronger. (Smaller coffee particle size = more coffee bean surface area = stronger coffee).

So, I'm looking around for a BURR coffee bean grinder, a reasonably priced one. This Mr. Coffee one showed up as #6 on the 10 best list of Consumer Reports, what do you think?

And one last question: Can I use this burr type to grind spices like seeds, hard cinnamon and the like. Oh yeah, how do you clean these things?

Let's talk.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2020 1:24 AM

I forgot the Mr. Coffee link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2015 2:57 AM

I wouldn't put spices in a burr grinder because you will never get rid of the odors and essences. Most spices that you would grind are oily and tend to leave a residue.

While I know a burr grinder is supposed to be the best, I don't have the space on my counter and I'm not hauling it out every day. The solution that works best for me is to use my blender, which is on my counter because I use it so often. I'm on my second blender and I saved the base and blades when I threw my old one away. I also have a little one cup blender jar. I use the extra base and blades with the mini jar and I only use it for coffee. It works a charm.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2015 3:04 AM

OP can you link to the coffee maker you got? I missed the other thread.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2015 3:10 AM

Isn't the point of a Keurig to make a single cup fast and easy? Why bother using a reusable pod that you have to rinse after each use, and spend time grinding whole beans?

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2015 3:23 AM

OP - Costco online has a very good Capresso burr grinder for only $89.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2015 3:38 AM

(R4) Keurig single use are an eco disaster with a nasty global foot print.

Uh, coffee gets stale and rather quickly. You need to start giving away some of your huge supply before it's undrinkable.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2015 8:19 AM

OP - NEVER buy so many packs of coffee. Even vacuum packed commercial brand coffee beans are better soon after purchase, and as soon as you open the bag, its a pretty limited self life.

Also, if you really MUST keep a few pounds of coffee around, don't grind the beans until the day you need them.

The whole point of getting a Burr grinder is that you are interested in the finer details of brewing coffee, and its flavours. So now you must step up your game. Otherwise you are gaining a LITTLE bit by having a burr grinder, but defeating the whole purpose if you are keeping beans too long, or keeping ground open coffee for more than a few hours, at most.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2015 8:30 AM

No you cannot grind anything besides coffee in your burr grinder.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2015 8:31 AM

Do you have a lot of friends? If you are impatient for the results of your survey, you should do your taste taste of all the different coffees but then give the rest of each coffee away, and just stick to one or two varieties in the future.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2015 8:40 AM

I love those DD coffee pods too! I was doing some work in this woman's apartment last year and she had 'em and always had them ready to go when I got there. The best!

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2015 8:44 AM

W - A - Y too much commotion surrounding your daily coffee preparation ritual!

Use an instant coffee brand (try several) and be done with it.

Instant has come a long way in eecent years.

Actually drinkable now and quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2015 8:49 AM

no r11

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2015 9:07 AM

If you are remotely serious about having good coffee, you must grind it right before brewing, however you brew it. Coffee loses 50% of its aroma within an hour of grinding, and vacuum packing doesn't do much to prevent that.

Oh, and Keurig coffee makers are complete crap. I cannot believe so many Americans are using them, except when I remind myself what all American coffee was like less than 30 years ago (which is the only comparison by which Keurig coffee is an improvement).

Even ordinary filter coffee can be pretty good if you use good beans, grind them fresh and use enough of them.

Oh, and don't get me started on Dunkin Donuts coffee. Try the House Blend from Costco instead -- it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2015 10:24 AM

65 lbs of your coffee hoard will be stale by the time you around to drinking it.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2015 11:42 AM

I dislike the sound of electric, so recommend a manual grindr - and Gevalia or Starbucks Breakfast Blend. Those are the two widely available smooth coffees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2015 12:04 PM

should i get a keurig? i drink a lot of coffee (a pot a day).

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2015 12:30 PM

No r16

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2015 12:32 PM

R16, in the final analysis, it's still drinking water from hot plastic.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2015 12:38 PM

Yeah that's kind of what turned me off of those pod-type coffemakers in general, r18. We still don't know all the harmful effects of plastics on our health; I doubt BPA is the only problem.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2015 12:53 PM

Can we talk about Gayle Grinders?

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2015 12:56 PM

"Scathingly brilliant"?

SOMEbody is a "Trouble With Angels" fan...

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2015 12:57 PM

I got a percolator for that reason r19. The pour - over method is nice too. I also like Starbucks individual dehydrated coffee crystals. Just mix with hot water. Those are surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2015 1:01 PM

I second the Capresso burr grinder in r5. I bought mine about six months ago on Amazon and have been very pleased with it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2015 1:02 PM

Put unopened bags of beans in the freezer. Use when you need them.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2015 1:07 PM

Coffee beans are best stored at room temperature in the dark (cabinet).

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2015 1:09 PM

Do not grind spices in your coffee grinder unless you want your coffee to taste like those spices.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2015 4:05 PM

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2015 10:36 PM

Are those coffee grounds, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2015 10:51 PM

OP, you're much too involved with your coffee and need an intervention. Consider yourself intervened.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2015 11:51 PM

I don't drink coffee anymore, but a grinder and a fresh press really do make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2020 1:10 AM

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill.

I've had it for more than ten years, use it daily, and it needs to be set way over to coarse for the Cuisinart drip coffeemaker, finer for cold brew or a French press.

I got a Krups coffee grinder as a gift a couple of years ago. I haven't taken it out of the box.

Whoever mentioned grinding spices, Cuisinart also makes a small spice grinder - not a burr mill, the blade's more like the business end of a blender - that's terrific grinding weed - a pulse or two is all it takes. But you have to soak and scrub the stainless steel bowl to get the pot smell and the gummy rosin out of it before using it for anything else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2020 1:23 AM

70 pounds of coffee? Umm do you run a coffee shop? The coffee will go stale before you can drink it all.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2020 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!