Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Melanie: Singer of "Brand New Key"

Melanie Safka: The singer/songwriter from the late sixties and seventies. She has continued to record and perform - and I believe continues to insist that "Brand New Key" is not about horniness and fucking.

What do we think?

I have always thought she was underrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2018 2:39 AM

She could be wry and wistful all at once.

From the youtube comments for Any Guy:

I was middle-school aged (male) when Melanie was at her late 1960's peak, and quickly decided that listening to her music was, maybe, toxic for my soul. Playful, warm, and intensely feminine (and very very cute), she stole my heart. So completely insightful and honest with her own emotions, she made me feel totally shallow and immature and unworthy. She made relationships seem complicated and hurtful but she never lost her willingness to enter the next one. She seemed to know how to play a male heart like she played her acoustic guitar. She could wail like a kitten so that I would move heaven and earth to want to comfort her. She teased and flirted and sometimes acted irresistibly silly, and then would reveal a heart that believed and hoped in the absolute best for all humanity. She drove me crazy. There was no musician like Melanie Safka.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2015 11:04 PM

Any Guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2015 11:05 PM

Steppin'.

A shell of casual indifference and layers of hurt underneath - before she realizes that the true tragedy is that she that she really doesn't need him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2015 11:11 PM

Ils ont changé ma chanson, Ma Ils ont changé ma chanson, Ma

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2015 11:11 PM

I always thought she was a caterwauling cunt of the hippie persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2015 11:14 PM

lay it down was great

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2015 11:18 PM

"Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" really captures the spirit of protest and activism for me, from the anti-war era up until the beginnings of the AIDS crisis. I'll always love Melanie.

Her whole "Gather Me" album is very enjoyable, especially the fun and spiritual "Ring the Living Bell".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2015 11:23 PM

I'm Back in Town.

The joke's on Melanie. Funny and sad.

"I guess I was wrong, so I'll be goin' home..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2015 11:28 PM

Reply 7 thats what i thought. wish i would have been a teenager in the 60s

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2015 11:31 PM

Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man.

She finds melancholy at its heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2015 11:34 PM

Some Say(I Got Devil) was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2015 11:38 PM

I saw her in concert in a small venue about '82. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2015 12:17 AM

Ari Shapiro just admitted to a love of Melanie this past Sunday on All Songs Considered. Ari is a little more feminine in person than when he's delivering the news, which is not a bad thing, in my head.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2015 12:19 AM

Cover of Cheryl Wheeler's Arrow.

More Melanie melancholy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2015 12:37 AM

Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields got her to record on his 6ths album. He taps into the often overlooked sadness of her voice.

He also adds a touch of insanity with the toy piano.

and though I feel like I got no skin /

I got New York and the winter wind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2015 12:43 AM

Love. Her.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2015 12:44 AM

So she finally earned enough in royalties to be able to afford a last name?

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2015 1:23 AM

Acoustic cover of Elton John's eighties hit I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2015 1:15 PM

No. She sang off-key. Some things are best left in the past, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2015 1:18 PM

Here I Am.

Composed after her mother's death and dedicated to her.

Lost and adrift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2015 1:33 PM

Millennial here, bump cuz I just discovered her. I'm intrigued by her bone-dry, spooky, stray-cat voice - it's got a chatty, brassy, exhausted quality that gives it depth despite the twee instrumentation. It would have been cool to hear her sing in the 60s and 70s rock scene (like for another Heart or Fleetwood). As it is she just seems like the younger, more chill little sister of Janis.

Also, it's hard to find a bio on her. Any elder know what she was like, personality-wise? Or what her creative process/relationship with her work was? Was she private or what? Uber-fans cite her 'sweet' and 'funny' but that's not much to go on.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2017 9:51 PM

Saw her first show St. Patrick's Day 1972 at Westbury Music Fair.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2018 8:03 AM

Wow her mr. tambourine man is gorgeous. I never would have thought..

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2018 8:38 AM

Love her cover if Ruby Tuesday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2018 9:28 AM

Thanks for posting this, OP. I've been wanting to post a link to this version of "Lay Down" for a while.

First of all, it's a great song. Secondly it's like finding a time capsule. The audience looks really weird with their grey hair and cat eye glasses. Secondly the black backup singers have the cheapest wigs I've ever seen. I couldn't help but wonder what their lives were like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2018 9:40 AM

Melanie is a libertarian according to her wiki page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2018 9:40 PM

True hippies didn't wear false eyelashes.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2018 9:55 PM

I love her. Always have. Always will.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2018 10:12 PM

Best concert I ever experienced, spoiled me so I could never again go sit in an audience with some pea-head singer 500 miles away or up on a monitor. 2006 or so in Austin, TX at a coffeeshop on the UT campus, tickets $25 but only 50 people or so could fit. Like listening to her in one's living room -- AND we had her to ourselves afterwards to sign albums, etc. It was bliss. And she was a sweetheart. AND sounded great.

I worked in Europe and go exposed to her later work too, fortunately. A lot of it is really great. Find her rendition of Cheryl Wheeler's "Arrow" for starters. "Window Pain" too. That whole CD with the purple cover, think it's "Freedom Knows My Name".

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2018 10:17 PM

(Sorry, R14 beat me to "Arrow". Glad it's there. Love this whole thread actually. THANK YOU to whoever posted her cover of "That's Why They Call It the Blues" above. Had no heard it and it sounds great).

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2018 10:20 PM

R2 That's what Bernadette Peters would sound like if she did pop. And couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2018 10:24 PM

You have a way with words, R21.

And Melanie's wonderful and got screwed over by the suits for her royalties. That would make anyone a libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2018 10:26 PM

I'm sure most people on here know this already but Melanie hates (or maybe just hated) "Brand New Key". Hijacked her career from cool Woodstock hippie chick to cutesy girl singer. She says that she resented it so much, she would sing a truncated version in concert or skip it altogether. Maybe she eventually came to terms with it. Wonder how much she gets for it from movies like "Boogie Nights"?

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2018 3:47 PM

My favorite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2018 3:53 PM

A million Melanies were named after her. Like all the Michelles from the Beatles song. And a bazillion "Dawns" after the Four Seasons song.

I'm surprised "Cher" was never a big name. There were some, but not many.

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2018 4:26 PM

I only just discovered today she's now a scientologist....goodbye Melanie, I loved you so

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2018 8:57 PM

No! [R36] NYET! Jamais de la vie!

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2018 9:03 PM

Yes she is..there is still Mia Farrow..

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2018 9:06 PM

Classic performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2018 9:10 PM

The New Seekers had hits with 2 of her songs, "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma" (a favorite) and "The Nickel Song).

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2018 9:14 PM

An alternate, more acoustic version of "Lay Down"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2018 9:17 PM

Melanie back in the day.

She said she resented that people thought that she sang songs to cows in meadows - but what's wrong with that?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2018 9:18 PM

Melanie today. She's 71.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2018 9:20 PM

R42 Calling all cows - Melanie is ready to sing. And they're a great audience!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2018 9:22 PM

Hey Mom, can we go hear Melanie sing this afternoon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2018 9:26 PM

I'm not crying, R39, YOU'RE crying.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2018 9:50 PM

What did you guys think of the audience and background singers in r39? Totally a different era.

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2018 10:26 PM

I loved her the most.

by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2018 10:46 PM

She's still cute today! But the Stevie Nicks hair doesn't work. She needs to dye it back to its regular brown.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2018 10:50 PM

Her "Ring my Bell" is cray cray. In a good way.

And no, not Ring the Living Bell but the disco hit.

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2018 12:29 AM

Really? I need to track that down.

I once had her on a 60s mix tape playing in a car full of people and, near the end of "Beautiful People", they all started screaming at me to turn her off. I guess she is an acquired taste, a taste I am glad I got to experience like Leonard Cohen or Joni or any of the other non-traditional singers I love.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2018 12:33 AM

I spent around 30 minutes online trying to find proof absolute that she's a $cientologist. Nothing. Except that she stayed at their hotel in San Fran or someplace and you have to be a party member to do that. It's weird I couldn't find anything to prove or disprove that she belongs to the church.

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2018 12:48 AM

She should do a video where she sings to cows in a meadow.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2018 1:14 AM

She was unique. That strange creaky voice of hers! And she obviously had a sense of humor, what with songs like "Animal Crackers" and her big hit "Brand New Key." I thought she was a good, if eccentric, song writer. And her song "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain) is a classic and boy she sure sang the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2018 1:23 AM

R24: Has Cyndi Lauper ever mentioned Melanie being a musical influence?

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2018 1:24 AM

I haven't thought of "The Nickel Song" in ages.

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2018 1:30 AM

[quote] What did you guys think of the audience and background singers in [R39]? Totally a different era.

A little context. That was a music television show in the Netherlands in 1970. Most of the audience was probably born during WW2 and didn't understand enough English to really grasp the song. I've kept a copy of the video on my computer for more then a decade, I've always loved their confused expressions in addition to her performance.

For the Sonny and Cher show they did a special video of Brand New Key.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2018 1:54 AM

James Blunt feels the same way about "You're Beautiful". Thinks it ruined his career by making him out to be a sad sack sap.

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2018 2:13 AM

She looks like Kathy Bates on Disjointed.

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2018 2:51 AM

This was a minor hit single by Melanie in 1972. "Together Alone". Got it in a thrift store the other day for just 49 cents. Priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2018 2:52 AM

Friend of mine was her manager for a brief time a couple of years ago. He ran real fast in the opposite direction after no time at all. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2018 3:03 AM

She explains the scientology thing on her FB page

by Anonymousreply 62March 17, 2018 9:47 AM

"Explains" meaning sends you to a major Scientology link. I am baffled, actually, never seemed her thing. And she is far from rich enough to make them much money. Unless that is where all her residuals went.

by Anonymousreply 63March 17, 2018 8:10 PM

I have an idea that her husband sold off the rights to her songs without her knowledge and then went and died on her, so she doesn't get any royalties from covers, use in ads etc. I was a big fan back in the day and from time to time check out her website. A couple of years ago, after her husband had died, she wrote some post about how General Motors or someone was using Brand New Key in an ad but she didn't get any money from it and how they could at least have her website URL on the bottom of the screen. It was all a bit sad and delusional. Still enjoy some of her music though. Beyond the hippy flower girl image and cutesy novelty songs she also wrote some lesser known ones that have stood the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 64March 17, 2018 9:08 PM

Great duet w/ Miley Cyrus on Look What They've Done To My Song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2018 9:30 PM

Why would a songwriter thinking they deserve royalties for the use of their song be "delusional," R64?

by Anonymousreply 66March 17, 2018 10:48 PM

When they don't own the song rights, r66.

by Anonymousreply 67March 17, 2018 11:08 PM

My parents had a few of her albums. I thought she was so pretty!

Mostly I remember “I Don’t Eat Animals”.

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2018 12:57 AM

"The voice of offended innocence"

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2018 1:10 AM

It amazes me sometimes that a very old thread which died within an hour of when it began - is revived years later and is suddenly quite popular. haha

Thanks to whoever revived this thread. I always thought Brand New Key was as perfect a pop song as ever there was. I love it to death and have never grown tired of it.

It's just dumb, fun and joyful.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2018 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!