Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gentrification

It seems to be a real problem.

Has it affected your city? And is your city being sold out to foreign investors, looking to flip real estate to make some fast cash?

So when locals get priced out of their hometowns, where do they go? What do they do?

I'm at a loss.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote]So when locals get priced out of their hometowns, where do they go? What do they do?

I'm trying to decide.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2015 3:02 PM

It's a real problem in London. Particularly central London. I feel a little sad when I watch old British films that are set in London and you see the city as it used to be, with real character and a proper social milieu. As opposed to now, where it's mostly a lifeless, overpriced, craphole with no character or purpose.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2015 3:10 PM

I grew up in Notting Hill in West London. It was a great mix of classes with a large migrant community from the West Indies. That mix helped give birth to the punk movement, and a small local theatre (The Mercury)was the venue for affordable cultural nights out and ballet classes for local kids. That theatre is now a private home to a multi-millionaire and the area is awash with the jaded super-rich, playing at being bohemian. London is dying as a vibrant creative city.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2015 3:14 PM

You want to see a meet of LGBT activists turn ugly? Bring up gentrification.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2015 3:27 PM

Gentrification is a symptom of a larger problem.

Assuming this is a reference to the cafe story, London has a lot of separate issues - it's surrounded by a greenbelt that prevents expansion, the population has grown by millions in just a few years, much of the available land is held by developers in land banks, and the UK has a Byzantine system of planning regulations. None of which the government has any plans to fix.

Gentrification is nothing more than house prices in bad areas increasing to a point that the poor can no longer afford them. That's not the fault of the people that buy them, it's a systemic problem in the market. Few wea;thy people would choose places like Shoreditch if they didn't have to.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2015 3:45 PM

Washington DC now has fewer African-Americans than it did a decade ago. And huge swathes of the city burned down in 1968 are now Yuppieville.

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2015 3:57 PM

[R3] You can move to East London . Lot of vibrant ethnic middle class community is there

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2015 4:03 PM

In LA, Gentrification occurred after large swaths of the city were colonized by foreign immigrants, leaving only slivers where Anglos could live happily. So now, they are targeting the weakest of the immigrants -- Latinos -- to take their neighborhoods, and to hopefully sell them out to better heeled colonizers such as the Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2015 4:04 PM

I am in the USA. Being pushed out of the only place I could afford means I must relocate far away, very far away. Basically, I have to start all over again as a stranger in a strange place. Even rents are impossible when gentrification occurs. Whereas if the place didn't gentrify, I could at least get a fixer-upper, or rent cheap. And I do not like hipsters and the spoiled rich who move in and re-invent the place. This brings me no benefits.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2015 4:05 PM

I am a "middle-class", gay, college educated person who has been both an agent and mostly a victim of gentrification. Usually I was part of the first wave of people to start to "gentrify" a neighbourhood I could barely afford. Later the neighborhood would be solidly, completely gentrified by people far rich that I. People like me, who never had the cash to buy something in the beginning of a gentrification process - get pushed around. We can't complain as much as the poor who get completely squashed but I was closed to squashed a few times.

Finally gave up on NYC and my roommate moved to Turkey and I moved to Switzerland. Geneva is unaffordable to the young bohemian class. I am no longer young and I am not bohemian anymore. Also I can't afford Geneva. The only "biggish" city in Western Switzerland that has enviable housing stock at affordable prices is La Chaux de Fonds which is an odd big town in the Jura Mountains and one of the coldest cities in Western Europe Beautiful art nouveau and art deco apts but its really not close to anything. It would be like New Yorkers deciding Schenectady is the best new place, if Schenectady had amazing housing stock. (Does it?) Geneve, Nyon, Morges, Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux, all on the Swiss "riviera", all lovely, are impossible for modest incomes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2015 4:16 PM

[quote] And I do not like hipsters and the spoiled rich who move in and re-invent the place. This brings me no benefits.

Only if you bought a place before gentrification, sold it and moved on to a cheaper town, with a big fat profit in your pocket.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2015 4:17 PM

Laughed my ass off when I read an article that Detroit was being gentrified by racoon and possums. Here comes the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2015 4:28 PM

No pity from us.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2015 4:44 PM

[quote] Washington DC now has fewer African-Americans than it did a decade ago.

Same thing happened to New Orleans.

After Katrina hit and the AA residents were forced to move, the rich people came in and saw it as an opportunity to take over the city and build expensive housing.

The city has basically lost all of the character that made New Orleans what is once was.

I swear, gentrification-ers are like vampires. They suck all the life out of a city.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2015 4:46 PM

[R14] What character enrichment AA people were giving to New Orleans?Can you please explain?

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2015 4:49 PM

If you want to avoid it come to Phoenix. There is no chance this place will ever be hip.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2015 4:52 PM

The greater Phoenix area is filled with Latin-Americans and the doddering, Fox News-addicted, liver-spotted racists who hate them.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2015 7:11 PM

Meanwhile, in LA's Gentrification Central:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2015 7:25 PM

[quote] London has a lot of separate issues - it's surrounded by a greenbelt that prevents expansion

I assume that you're referring to the old plague pits in Greenwich? I'd not want to stir up anything that might be released by digging them up and building housing.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2015 7:30 PM

London's real estate prices were jacked up by Russian oligarch trash and flashy Emirates oil money. Just as Miami has been recently by Venezuelan rich fucks who can't stand the proles taking over there.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2015 7:41 PM

R20 you forgot the corrupt oil-rich Nigerian government ministers who cream off all that overseas aid money that's supposed to be building sanitation and schools in rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2015 8:07 PM

Well, "my city" being Paris, the answer will be yes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2015 8:13 PM

[quote]It seems to be a real problem.

Wow, that's some really nuanced insight, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2015 8:36 PM

The President of Cameroon pretty much lives in Geneva. Imagine that!? King Fahd did as well. Capital is borderless and its accumulation in the hands of a relative few is wrecking some cities. Oh well. There's always another one on the cusp, ready to welcome the 1st wave of gentrification.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2015 8:40 PM

It's all being driven by the Central Banks.

Low (zero) interest rates leave very few places to "invest" your money. People are choosing to invest their money in real estate.

It will end... badly.

It always does.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2015 8:43 PM

R19 No, London is surrounded by a ring of countryside called the greenbelt, which it's illegal to build on. It was implemented to prevent the city growing any larger.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2015 8:49 PM

The current UK government sells UK residency to foreign nationals in exchange for £1 million of government backed gilt-edged securities.

This kind offer has been unsurprisingly taken up by Albanian and Russian gangsters, the type of people who have a million pounds lying around to buy residency with, plus many millions more to purchase a second home in West London. Their dirty money, which comes from human trafficking, the child sex abuse industry, and illegal drug and arms sales, is laundered into clean money through London wealth managers and estate agents. These pigs have so much dirty money to spend that they have priced the British rich out of Belgravia, Chelsea, Mayfair, etc and those Brits are now moving East into Shoreditch and Hackney.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2015 8:59 PM

I sometimes lived in a royal saudi "flop house" (very elegant huge mansion) in Mayfair in the 90s so it's not new and not just the eastern gangster money.

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2015 9:02 PM

It's a simple matter of supply and demand.

The first wave of people to come in, pass laws to restrict the second, and that is what is the real problem. For instance, in LA, until a few years ago, you had to put 2.5 parking spaces in each new housing you built. This meant you had to essentially put in underground parking, as many of this "new housing" was simply refurbished. This drove up costs, and made it necessary to build higher end apartments and condos. (This rule was revoked in a few areas of LA).

From rent control, to zoning, to NIMBY-ism, cities actual PROHIBIT new housing by making it to costly to build affordable housing. It has little to do with foreigners buying up things, except in Lower Manhattan (which has corp apts) and Florida (seasonal housing).

Why should a developer build low cost or middle class cost housing when for a few thousand more he can double his profit? That is how things work. Don't like it? Get your city councils to remove housing restriction that would make it profitable to build lower cost housing units.

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2015 9:04 PM

The Saudis have been in West London since the 1970's, yes, R28. But the problem of the global super-rich - many of whom are criminals - buying up property and forcing up prices sky high is new, it began 12-10 years ago. And it is a disaster for the city.

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2015 9:05 PM

ok i see your point. as if the saudi royal money isn't "criminal".... degrees......

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2015 9:07 PM

I retired a few years ago, and because of my lack of financial responsibility, never accumulated assets, like real estate. Always rented. It's not a regret, as I don't equate happiness with material wealth. I never wanted to be a slave to home ownership. Going to Rio for a vacation, and driving an Audi was more important to me. I do have a pension for life, and on retirement, could no longer afford to live in Vancouver, Canada. The average single lot house is priced at $1.2 million, and that gets you an older, very basic house. Rents are $1,300 for a one bedroom apartment. Off shore money from Asia has made the city unaffordable for middle income earners. So, I moved to Central America. . .

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2015 9:08 PM

Who is doing this gentrification? I don't know any gentry (other than the divine Bobbie, of course) -- do you?

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2015 9:15 PM

the world is topsy turvy

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2015 9:16 PM

I fail to understand why you are calling this a problem, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2015 9:17 PM

R35 - It's a problem when modest populations can't have some stability in their residence.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2015 9:19 PM

You should have bought a building when the neighborhood was still a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2015 9:20 PM

I've lived in Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago, and Philadelphia --- all in neighborhoods that became gentrified. I'm an artist and designer so it's par for the course. But at least those cities have something wonderful about them. About 20 years ago, I visited a cousin in Denver. He was buying a "loft" in a "hip" part of lower downtown (which, of course, Denver people called "LoDo"). Anyway, since I was at the time an architect, my cousin took me to his new home. It cost twice what it was worth and it smelled like urine. It had been a horse stable in the early 1900s. My cousin said, "Oh, the agent said the smell will go away" and I told him, "If it still smells 90 years after the last horse left, there is no hope." But he was hell-bent on living a hip life. In Denver. In a smelly stable.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2015 9:36 PM

R38 I heard the whole city smells like that.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2021 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!