Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Early music videos

I loved some of the early music videos that came out in the early 80's. Liked David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" and Kim Carnes' "Bette Davies Eyes".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2020 6:55 PM

yeah Bowie was really cool love the song and video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2015 1:53 PM

I was really into Missing Persons. I loved Dale Bozzio's look and sound back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2015 1:56 PM

I loved Duran Duran, early Madonna

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2015 1:57 PM

I love early music!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2015 2:04 PM

r4, that doesn't apply to this thread. thanks for posting, though.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2015 2:06 PM

Old Madonna had a farm. E I E I O!

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2015 2:08 PM

More Early Music!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2015 2:20 PM

So Much Fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2015 2:21 PM

The first music video that made an impression on me was Billy Joel's "Pressure" Russell Mulcahey directed it. He set the standard for the first half of the 80s. His list of directed videos is quite impressive peaking with Duran Durans Wild Boys..,, then David Fincher came along

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2015 2:26 PM

Abba the pioneer of music videos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2015 2:38 PM

Sid. Always hated Nancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2015 2:45 PM

Here you go, OP. The first 30 videos played on MTV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2015 6:25 PM

When Chrissie Hynde was recently on Conan she mentioned that the reason you saw so many British bands on the early days of MTV was not just because of some supposed British music invasion, but because British bands often made short pre-recorded performance videos for British tv shows aimed at teenagers. And, so, when MTV started in the US, where it was not yet de rigeur for every American artist/band to have videos for their singles, a disproportionate number of slots got filled up with those British bands' videos. Pretty interesting. Had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2015 6:39 PM

Just prior to his MTV gig, see if you can spot VJ Alan Hunter as one of the Bowie's dancers in this early video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2015 6:48 PM

Another great early Bowie video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2015 5:11 AM

Back in the 90s, someone gave me a vcr tape filled with Patsy Cline "videos"

One I remember was her ironing as she sang one of her hits

Must have been the late 50s or early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2015 5:15 AM

Guys, 16 responses and nobody mentions this? Pre MTV and as gay as one can get circa 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2015 5:19 AM

Electronica...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2015 5:49 AM

The Cure...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2015 5:49 AM

Syenie Nucks- Gypsy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2015 8:24 AM

R15 - that video is amazing. I knew the song of course, but had never seen the video. It wasn't until the second cutaway that I even realized the backup singers were Bowie in drag. It seems like the 70s and 80s were a lot more adventurous in the middle. Bowie was many things at different times - avant garde, androgynous, alien, gender-bending, scary, seductive - but he was, above all, a pop star. If he started out today, I'm sure he'd be a very successful niche artist with a loyal following, because there's still tons of amazing music being made at the fringes of mainstream, but he would not be a household name. It's a shame that these days pop music is so homogenized. And I'm not some eldergay, I'm actually far too young to have experienced Bowie at the height of his power and fame.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2015 8:52 AM

Tine Turner's What You Get Is What You See. Circa 1983. I used to think the guys in this video were SO HOT.

A companion to Cher's video up-thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2015 8:53 AM

[quote]Tine Turner's What You Get Is What You See. Circa 1983.

'87. It was from "Break Every Rule", which was released in '86.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2015 11:08 AM

Who else remembers Video Jukebox on HBO? It preceded MTV by a couple of years; a new edition was broadcast monthly. They played the video for Cruisin' by Michael Nesmith every month for years, it seemed like, and even now it's burned in my brain. Lucy and Ramona, and THEIR BROTHER SUNSET SAM!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2015 11:42 AM

R17 Fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2020 6:49 PM

"Ashes to Ashes" (1980) is not 'early' Bowie, dumbass OP. He'd been making music since 1962.

OP is a dumbass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2020 6:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!