Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Easy Quick (Cheap) Recipes for One

Inspired by the cooking thread. Preferably leftovers for not more than one meal (not a fan).

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2021 6:57 PM

Learn to saute meat and fish and steam vegetables. Buy what you need. NO leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2015 12:40 AM

White fish fillet panfried with sauce made from a tsp butter, capers and a quarter of a chopped lemon.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 9:21 PM

A george forman is easy. Throw any piece of meat on it. Fix whatever vegetables and throw a sweet potato in the microwave.

Boom. A great meal for one, very easy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 9:23 PM

REAL Maine chowdah!

Real chowder isn't gloopy white sauce with tiny bits of clams in it, it's a hearty bowl of good fresh seafood, potatoes, and onions, in milk or cream. A bowl is enough for a meal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 9:32 PM

I need to start eating a lot more calories, but from real food. Suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2015 9:37 PM

Courtesy of Rachel Ray. I add black-eyed peas and quinoa. Makes more than one meal - but it doesn't re-heat like leftovers. Actually freezes pretty well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2015 9:38 PM

OP, is there some reason why this isn't IN the cooking thread? Clearly you saw that thread.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2015 9:41 PM

[quote]REAL Maine chowdah!

I got excited about trying out R4's recipe. Then I read >> > 2 cups heavy cream.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2015 10:09 PM

What did you think they put in clam chowder, R8, hot water and white crayons?

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2015 10:17 PM

To tell the truth Linus, I didn't think two fucking cups full of HEAVY CREAM.

Maybe I can put in two cups of half fat creme fraiche or something, instead.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2015 10:20 PM

You type that as if it were TWO CUPS OF GASOLINE.

It's heavy cream, chefs cook with it all the time. It's not poison. A bowl of clam chowder made with heavy cream is not going to hurt anyone. If you eat three bowls of it every day you'll turn into a fat pig but who would do that?

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2015 10:24 PM

When I make that chowder recipe above, I use half-and-half or whole milk, or combine the two.

It's still very good with less fat, but it absolutely needs some fat to be tasty.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2015 10:36 PM

How big are the people in Maine?

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2015 10:40 PM

Thanks, R12...I'll try that.

I've never made Fish Chowder. I'm in England, but I loved it when I was in NEW England.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2015 11:24 PM

i love fish soup

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2015 11:40 PM

R8, you dingleberry with teeth, the two cups of cream go into a recipe for 8-10 people. What is life like without a brain?

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2015 3:34 AM

I don't understand those delicate flowers who turn up their noses at leftovers. Just call it a "prepared meal", and it will seem a revelation in convenience, and efficiency!

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2015 7:23 AM

My life and my food are delicious and well-prepared, R16. What is life like being afraid of basic food ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2015 7:32 AM

I think this is exactly what OP is looking for. Though I always make it for two, whether I'm on my own or not. I can't imagine bothering to make a soup from scratch for just one person, one meal. So double the quantities on this.

Excellent if you like pea soup.

I'm sorry if the British quantities baffle you. ..and the garlic isn't necessary. Tastes fine without. (I never use garlic myself, but that's a whole 'nother story)....Oh, and I add dried mint to the fried onion at the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2015 8:22 AM

Just do that peanut butter & potato chip thingy Elvis liked.

Or a can of spinach like Popeye.

Melt some cheese over popcorn and add salsa.

Fry up some bacon & egg. Fry up a green tomato.

Sardines + green onion on pumpernickel.

Rice & beans, rice and beans - throw in green pepper & onion.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2015 9:07 AM

wear earrings and a delightful caftan and you've got an evening

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2015 6:57 PM

Carrot-Beetrot salad with fennel dressing

4 large carrots

4 beetroot (300g each), washed, trimmed, peeled

1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped

2 tablespoons sultanas

2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

dressing

1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Fennel dressing: Place fennel seeds in a mortar. Pound with a pestle until crushed (see notes). Whisk mustard, crushed fennel seeds, vinegar and oil together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Using the grater attachment on a food processor, coarsely grate carrot. Transfer to a bowl. Continue process with beetroot, placing in a separate bowl to the carrot.

Add pecans, sultanas and parsley to carrot. Pour over dressing. Toss until well combined. Add beetroot (see Notes). Gently toss to combine. Serve.

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2017 8:14 AM

My go-to for something easy to make. English muffin, meat of choice, and cheese of choice. For example, I like English muffin, deli turkey, and cheddar cheese. I first toast the English muffin (both halves) in the oven under the broiler just to get them a little crispy, then lightly butter the bread. Put on the turkey and cheese and return to the broiler and wait for the cheese to melt. (The heat from melting the cheese will warm up the turkey.) Remove, turn off the oven, and eat. Ham and cheese is good too - but any combination works well. You can add some mustard after cooking.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2017 8:44 AM

SATAY CHICKEN NOODLE SALAD

INGREDIENTS

Dressing

¼ cup peanut butter (preferably smooth)

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tbsp sesame oil

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp brown sugar

1½ tbsp sriracha, or 2 tsp chili paste/sauce + 2 tsp vinegar

2 tbsp lime juice

6 tbsp coconut milk (I used low fat)

2 tbsp water

Salad

10oz/300g fresh egg noodles (Note 1)

2 cups red cabbage, shredded

2 cups green cabbage, shredded

2 carrots, finely chopped

¼ tsp salt

2 scallion/shallot stems, finely sliced on the diagonal

1 large red chilli (not very spicy), deseeded and finely sliced (Note 2)

Satay Chicken

12oz/350g chicken breast, cut in half vertically and thinly sliced

Salt and pepper

1½ tsp curry powder

2 tsp sweet soy sauce/ kecap manis (Note 3)

1 tbsp cooking oil

Garnish

3 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped

Mix dressing ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Place both cabbages and carrots in a bowl, toss to combine. Place the Satay Chicken ingredients in a bowl and toss to coat. Heat oil in a non stick fry pan over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes until golden, then transfer to a plate. Toss noodles and remaining salad ingredients with chicken and Dressing, then serve. Serve at room temperature or warm.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2017 11:47 AM

Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2017 11:49 AM

You had me at beetrot, R22.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2017 12:02 PM

Make a cup of Minute Rice or a handful of noodles.

Heat up your favorite Chunky soup.

Make a ring around your plate with the rice / noodles, leaving a "well" in the center of the plate.

Pour the soup into the "well"

Bon appetit!

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2017 12:02 PM

If you don't have a natural ability to prepare a cheap meal for one, and must ask on a gay gossip board, you are hopeless. I suggest you find local ethnic take out shops that prepare real food. A good burrito place, for example, or thai/chinese, or soul food.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2017 12:13 PM

For one? Reservations in a restaurant are the best thing to make. That, or a sandwich at a fast food joint. The salad bar at the local supermarket is callling you.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2017 12:15 PM

50 cent per mouth. Feed your neighbours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2017 12:50 PM

Nuke a potato. Chop it up, add salt, pepper, a little milk, a little butter. Walla potato soup. I like to add broccoli to mine.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2017 1:11 PM

r24 Ten ounces of noodles, 3/4 of a pound of chicken and four cups of cabbage is not exactly a meal for one.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2017 1:25 PM

Auntie Fee is a trip!

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2017 1:53 PM

Holy crap r24. Do you think you could add some more ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2017 1:58 PM

Auntie Fee: Kids and fat people like cheese. This bitch is ready.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2017 2:05 PM

All the fat and sodium you can handle, OP, with some protein for good measure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2017 2:09 PM

She's dead! 😣😥😣😇😇

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2017 2:11 PM

Middle Eastern potatoes with coriander

Cook the peeled and cut in small pieces potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 7-8 minutes or until just tender, drain and leave to cool slightly. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan, then add the onion and fry for 5-10 minutes, until soft. Add potatoes, ground coriander, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and season well. Fry on a medium heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally until crispy and golden. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more, then spoon over a dash of lemon juice and toss with fresh coriander. Serve the potatoes with the yogurt, garnished with a little cayenne pepper.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2017 12:37 PM

[quote]You had me at beetrot

It's a very nice recipe, the fennel vinaigrette goes perfectly with the beets, carrots. nuts (walnuts are fine too) and raisins.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2017 12:40 PM

I've been making a salad of steamed corn, cut off the cob, and grated zucchini. Chopped garlic, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Optional diced red peppers and Kalamata olives.

Make as much as you like.

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2017 12:44 PM

[quote]I don't understand those delicate flowers who turn up their noses at leftovers. Just call it a "prepared meal", and it will seem a revelation in convenience, and efficiency!

I don't eat "prepared meals". Disgusting!😝

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2017 12:51 PM

Japanese Clear Onion Soup (4 servings)

2 onions [diced]

6 cups of vegetable broth or water [whichever you have at hand]

2 celery stalks [diced]

2 carrots [peeled and diced]

2 garlic cloves [minced]

handful of button mushrooms [thinly sliced]

handful of sliced scallions

salt, pepper and soy sauce to taste

Sauté the onions in a pot in a little bit of oil until slightly browned. Add the carrot, celery, and garlic and 6 cups of vegetable broth/water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and soy sauce. Strain the veggies from the broth and add the mushrooms and scallions before serving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2017 12:56 PM

R24 how is that easy or quick?

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2021 6:43 PM

WHO THE FUCK IS BUMPING ALL OF THESE ANCIENT THREADS?

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2021 6:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!