Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Star" (1952) Starring Bette Davis

She actually received an Oscar nom for this? This is a B-picture if I've ever seen one. Such camp! Any other films like this? A star down on her luck, having to go back and live among the common folk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2019 5:15 AM

Yes, "The Danny Pintauro Story" - from child star on top-rated 80s sitcom to manager of a P.F. Chang's in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2015 11:43 PM

And in between, he beats Annabelle Chong's record.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2015 11:44 PM

The May Company scene is an inspiration to every retail worker who has ever been treated like shit by a customer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2015 11:48 PM

That was one of Bette's actual Oscars on the dashboard, as well.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2015 12:01 AM

Was it really? lol.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2015 12:02 AM

I love that scene, especially the way Bette says "$39.95. Isn't it lovely?" in that rote way one develops in such jobs (even though it's only her first HOUR on the job!)

Sterling Hayden is very hot in this movie. Fine ass!

I wonder who he liked better, Bette or Joan?

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2015 5:29 PM

Also want to add that the two old bags in that scene probably have doppelgangers on the DL!

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2015 5:34 PM

R7 Well I do need to lose 10 pounds. Let's do it together. Misery loves company.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2015 5:43 PM

[quote] I love that scene, especially the way Bette says "$39.95. Isn't it lovely?"

According to the CPI calculator, $39.95 in 1952 = $359.27 today. I didn't realize that May's Crenshaw was so tony.

I wonder if Margaret Elliott worked for minimum wage, which in 1952, was 75 cents an hour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2015 6:06 PM

[quote]I wonder who he liked better, Bette or Joan?

He loathed Bette, and I don't think she was very fond of him, either. I sadly can't remember his thoughts on Joan but my guess is that he didn't like her, either.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2015 6:32 PM

The couple who wrote the screenplay to "The Star" were friends of Joan Crawford. They based the character on Joan and everyone in Hollywood knew it. Joan seethed and quietly plotted her revenge.

A short time later the couple's eighteen-year-old daughter fell in love with a somewhat older man and they did not approve of the relationship. Joan kindly offered to talk some sense into the girl and told the couple to send her over to Joan's house. Instead of talking her out of it, Joan also invited the unwanted boyfriend and a wedding officiant.

Once the newlyweds were off on their honeymoon, Joan phoned her soon-to-be former friends and broke the "happy news" that their daughter and her boyfriend had been married at her house. Payback is a bitch, and so was Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2015 6:43 PM

R11, the version of the story that I read is that the screen writer couple (Dale and Katherine Eunson) wrote "The Star" as payback for Joan having facilitated their daughter's marriage to the unwanted boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2015 2:56 AM

When I said, "don't fuck with me, fellas," I meant it! My "friends" the Eunsons had to learn that the hard way. Pally takes no shit!

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2015 3:05 AM

Help us...please??? Someone...anyone???

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2015 3:10 AM

R3 thanks for that scene

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2015 3:27 AM

R12, the movie The Star was in production in mid-July of 1952 which is when Joan invited the writers' daughter (also named Joan, after Crawford, her god-mother) to be married in secret at her house. Young Joan turned eighteen days later. The film came out in December of that year.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2015 4:02 AM

Actually, Sterling Hayden and Bette Davis got along very well. I read an interview with Hayden's wife at the time, who said that she, Hayden, and Davis used to go out to dinner after work. They enjoyed one another's company and would get pleasantly snockered together. Of course, on the set of that movie Davis famously stood up for a teenage Natalie Wood, who was terrified of jumping in the water, as the director, Stuart Heisler, demanded. Davis heard Natalie screaming and told Heisler that if he had wanted a swimmer for the role he should have hired Johnny Weissmuller. Needless to say, Natalie didn't have to jump. Grateful for the rest of her life, she told the story often, most prominently at the AFI Davis tribute. Contrary to her reputation as a harridan, well-earned in later years, Davis through mid-career was extremely protective of her colleagues, cast and crew, and well-liked by most of them, though not by most of her directors, whom she constantly challenged, often to the detriment of her performance. I think she ruined her career by rejecting or alienating talented directors (Huston, Goulding, Curtiz, Sherman, Vidor, Capra, even Wyler) who stood up to her and agreeing to work only with milksops (Rapper, Bernhardt, Shumlin, Windust, Heisler) who acquiesced to her every whim. If you think about the directors Katharine Hepburn sought out, it's easy to see why the second half of her career was so much more successful than Davis's.

I agree with OP. The Star is a terrible, terrible movie, and Davis looks about a decade older than she did two years earlier in All About Eve. Her marriage to Gary Merrill really took its toll -- turned her into a bitter alcoholic. A friend of mine spent his childhood summers at his family's place near the Merrills' house in Maine. He has great stories about Davis. I discovered this about ten years ago, when I saw on a side table in his den a photo of Davis and a young boy at the beach and his wife said, "Oh, that's Chris." "Yeah, but why's he with Bette Davis?" "They knew each other when Chris was a kid. You'll have to ask him about her."

Sterling Hayden hated Joan Crawford. He once said he'd rather stop acting than work with her again. Everyone hated Crawford on the set of Johnny Guitar, but especially Hayden and Mercedes McCambridge.

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2015 4:02 AM

Thanks, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2015 4:06 AM

[quote]I wonder who he liked better, Bette or Joan?

Hayden HATED Joan after "Johnny Guitar", and was famously quoted as saying “There’s is not enough money in Hollywood to lure me into making another picture with Joan Crawford. And I like money.”

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2015 4:43 AM

Bette is said to be doing her take on Joan during the screen test scene in THE STAR.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2015 5:12 AM

R20, she even says "Bless you." to someone in that scene, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2015 5:39 AM

[quote]She actually received an Oscar nom for this? This is a B-picture if I've ever seen one.

She was nominated for her performance. The movie didn't receive any other worthy nominations. Remember, Streep winning for THE IRON LADY, and that movie was shit!

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2015 5:46 AM

"Come on, Oscar! Let's you and me get drunk!"

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2015 6:16 AM

The Star was her 9th of 10 Oscar nominations, all for Best Actress by the way, never supporting.

Actually, it's quite a brave performance by Bette to play a washed-up movie star, which is what she was at the tim (1952). Or maybe she was more delusional than brave. Years later, after Crawford died, Bette said she was playing Joan in the movie, making the distinction that while Joan was a movie star, she was an ACTRESS. But Joan was having a career revival at the time The Star came out. It was more of Bette's life on the screen.

She said the movie was ruined by the sappy ending that the studio forced on them, and I agree. It would've been better had it ended at the party with the pitifully defeated Margaret Eliot thinking she could be a star again.

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2015 6:23 AM

R24 wasn't Davis also having a career revival in the early '50s, resurrected by the smash ALL ABOUT EVE for which she almost won her 3rd Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2015 6:40 AM

R25 The success of All About Eve didn't last. Her next movie, Payment on Demand, was actually made before Eve and was only released because of its success. It was poorly received. She then had to go to England to make the low-budget Another Man's Poison, which bombed. Then came a small role in her husband Gary Merrill's film Phone Called From A Stranger, in which she looked 10 years old than she was. It did nothing for her career.

Next came the low-budget The Star, which brought her a surprise Oscar nod. But afterward she couldn't find a movie role until The Virgin Queen 3 years later (1955). It bombed too. Then came A Catered Affair (1956), again looking 10 years older than she was. Most critics said she was badly miscast but the movie's reputation has improved over the years. After that came Storm Center (also 1956), a role that was originally set for Mary Pickford! It bombed big time.

She didn't have another starring movie role until Baby Jane, 6 years later (1962).

It was a hard decade for Bette.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2015 8:35 AM

R26 Oops, The title was Phone Call from a Stranger (1952).

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2015 8:41 AM

R27 Bette did make Pocketful of Miracles (1961) before Baby Jane. But her part was whittled down to supporting level. Despite being directed by Frank Capra, neither she nor the movie is very good.

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2015 8:48 AM

The poor dear! But then not everyone has the star power to play QUEEN BEE or HARRIET CRAIG. Or the beauty.

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2015 11:20 AM

[quote]The couple who wrote the screenplay to "The Star" were friends of Joan Crawford. They based the character on Joan and everyone in Hollywood knew it. Joan seethed and quietly plotted her revenge.

That year Joan was in SUDDEN FEAR. I'd say she got her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2015 11:35 AM

[quote]I read an interview with Hayden's wife at the time, who said that she, Hayden, and Davis used to go out to dinner after work.

I'd love to read that if you have a link or reference. I would have sworn Sterling hated Bette like crazy, but maybe I'm remembering him hating another actress. He was a terrific actor but, much like Bar Bush, really knew how to hate.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2015 11:59 AM

Maybe you were thinking of actors who hated Sterling. He (falsely) used to accuse fellow actors, directors, etc.. of being communists so he could get ahead in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2015 12:03 PM

r17 please share some of the Bette stories!

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2015 2:34 PM

R15 my pleasure.

The store where that scene was filmed was the May Company on Crenshaw Blvd in Los Angeles. It opened in 1947 and, along with The Broadway across the street, was one of the first suburban stores built after the war. Margaret Elliott was aghast at the thought of being seen working such a menial job by her fellow movie stars, so she rejected the suggestion that she take a job at I. Magnin or Saks in Beverly Hills, and opted for the relative anonymity of the middle-class Crenshaw district.

The neighborhood, once solidly working-class, went downhill in subsequent decades, which was lucky for us, as the May Company never invested much money in remodeling the store, and it retains much of its 1940's feel, even today as Macy's (or it did at least the last time I was there, a few years ago).

You can still stomp down the same escalator as Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2015 2:39 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2015 7:40 PM

That matronly dress in R35 didn't help. She looks like a stuffed sausage. Did she use her employee discount at May Co to pick up something in the Lady Crenshaw department to pick up someone before she quit?

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2015 7:59 PM

[quote]It was a hard decade for Bette

Indeed, while I was still sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2015 8:06 PM

Mrs. Steele was on the matronly plane as well by 1958 or so..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2015 9:23 PM

True but her face looks flawless in "Female on the Beach".

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2015 9:35 PM

Watched "The Star" today on TCM...very bad movie (in the best way possible). Bette Davis doing Joan Crawford. So enjoyable. Those dames never disappoint. Most of their movies are awful but they're both so watchable, it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2019 4:34 AM

Joan didn't really age much better than Bette, she just kept her figure. But all that smoking and drinking, the severe hairdos and those damned caterpillar eyebrows made Joan terrifying to look at in the 1950's. I'd say the last film where she still could pass for "young" was 1947's Possessed. Same with Bette in AAE. Her visual career can be divided up into pre and post All About Eve.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2019 5:12 AM

Bette aged but didn't look grotesque except when made up for roles, Joan was scary looking in real life by the end of the 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2019 5:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!