Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Bionic Woman

One of my favorite things in life when I was a kid was The Bionic Woman starring Lindsay Wagner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2018 6:30 PM

Lindsay Wagner was perfect in that role.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2015 8:30 PM

It's been fun, lots of laughs, Jaime.

It always is when friends meet again.

But lately it's gone flat for me, Jaime.

I don't like seeing you, now and then.

Our friendship is finished. That's true.

But there's hope, a way to make it through.

Because, sweet Jaime, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2015 8:48 PM

Fembot Callahan rocked my world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2015 9:23 PM

R3 --- The fembots RULED ........... If you're going to show them, do it right !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2015 9:35 PM

I guess Lindsay Wagner was too good to be a fembot ........... Oscar Goldman got to be one (in Spanish !!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2015 9:40 PM

What can I say, I thought it best to start with the origins of Fembot Callahan instead of jumping into the middle of the plot.

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2015 9:56 PM

Oh man, I remember when Oscar's secretary (whose name I can't remember) was replaced by a Fembot... I was totally freaked out as a kid!

How did they ever get John Housman to accept a role in The Bionic Woman? Did he need the money that much?

And let's not forget, Sandra Bullock was the bionic girl in a the last TV movie... you know, the one where Steve FINALLY proposed to Jaime!

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2015 10:00 PM

The fembot music video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2015 10:25 PM

"Sure, we all did."

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2015 10:43 PM

Poor Lindsay Wagner really doesn't get her due on Datalounge. Is she too dull? Is it all the turquoise jewelery and hippy-dippy clothing she wears these days?

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2015 10:46 PM

I love Lindsay

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2015 12:16 AM

I love her. Her raspy voice, her athletic build, her Sleep Number bed commercials, her many marriages to men despite my hunch she's gay. She's beautiful. I watched the show recently and wow was it a dud. Her charm sure went a long way when I was 6.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2015 12:18 AM

She won and Emmy Award for the Bionic Woman in 1977 or 1978.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2015 12:56 PM

Lindsay had a lot of "Hold me, David" moments of overacting in TBW - she got away with it, I think, because she's much much more attractive than albino pygmy Bonnie Franklin.

I always wanted Jaime to be with Steve, of course, but she had a lot of attractive guest male stars in many of the episodes - Sam Groom and Andrew Prine (my first nude crush) spring to mind.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2015 1:03 PM

I liked that bitch. i used to pretend i was the bionic woman all the time when i was a little boy. i loved the scene where she dressed up as a female wrestler. Then she escapes from a elevated cage by slicing her bionic hand through the steel cage and jumps 50 feet to freedom. Classic!

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2015 1:08 PM

I remember her wrestling name - Savage Sommers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2015 1:14 PM

Wasn't there (in real life) a highjacker stranding a plane on the tarmac who wouldn't give up unless Lindsay Wagner spoke with him in person?

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2015 3:08 PM

Hijacker, sorry. And I know she played a stewardess in a hijacker film, but I thought some nut tried to get to meet her this way in real life.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2015 3:14 PM

I remember she played a German stewardess in that made-for-TV movie. Uli something.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2015 3:17 PM

I adored Lindsay in Scruples!

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2015 3:20 PM

Uli Derickson r19 -- the real life lady went through tons of shit after the hijacking wen Victim Cultures, who had not yet gotten the full story, decided she had sold out people to the terrorists.

Of course, they were sorry afterwards and held up more shivs to make sure she accepted their apology.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2015 4:09 PM

I was six when the show orginally aired and loved every single second of it. But how did adults react to it? Was it marketed to kids?

Looking at the episodes now, Jamie seems much more aloof and bored with it all than Steve Austin does. Jamie just wanted to unwind in a wicker chair with a glass of chablis while Steve wanted to save the world. Her attitude is refreshing for a sci-fi action show.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2015 4:18 PM

How was Lindsey's German accent, r21?

On TBW, she sure done the south just proud!

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2015 4:30 PM

Gay boys must love the things. I loved the fembots and the two Lisa Galloway episodes.

Really loved it all but those were quite memorable.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2015 4:45 PM

You know, the remake from a few years ago would've worked if they just redid the old episodes with modern CGI. The new Jamie was cool. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2015 4:50 PM

Oooh, Scruples! I never saw the movie (miniseries?), but I remember sneaking it from my moms nightstand to read some of the dirty parts. I think that was my introduction to the concept of oral sex. I remember one line was something like "You never really know a man until you've smelled his scent," which was written when the lead character was sucking off one of the help.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2015 5:53 PM

That would be the bionic woman -- from Ojai, California.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2015 6:27 PM

Loved this as a kid and watched it in reruns as well. Not sure why i liked it so much, but nice to see so many other gaylings parked in front of the TV when it was on. As a kid my dream was a Wonder Woman/Bionic Woman cross over episode but it never happened. Just in my fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2015 12:11 AM

God, this show was so terrible. "Showgirls" terrible.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2015 12:53 AM

I'm a HUGE BW fan. I was 11 when the show premiered in '76. I've followed Lindsay's career for the last 40 years, clipped news articles before the Internet about the show and Lindsay and have the series on DVD.

The show worked largely because of Lindsay who made the character of Jamie vulnerable and empathetic. This was the problem with the remake in my opinion.

I think I could answer most questions if anyone has any.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2015 1:01 AM

Lindsay Wagner still looks pretty good today.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2015 1:43 AM

It seems like Armisted Maupin partially based Maryanne on Lindsay (the bed commercial gig).

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2015 1:47 AM

I remember seeing an interview with Bette Davis in her later years where she was asked what current actresses she admired. Bette's answer-Debra Winger and Lindsay Wagner.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2015 1:54 AM

I actually think the show holds up pretty darn well. Even the bionic dog episodes, of which I was never a fan back in the day, play okay today. (The explanation given for the dog's existence -- that he was the original test model for bionics -- wasn't really that outrageous when you think about it.) I think because the series was science-based and not just some superhero show, that's why it still works as well as it does, even in 2015. "Bionic Woman" has aged beautifully compared to "Wonder Woman," its chief rival for the attention of teenage boys at the time, which is just cringeworthy to sit through now. Truly bad 70s television at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2015 2:31 AM

Here is one of her interviews from the DVDs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2015 2:39 AM

[quote] Fembot Callahan rocked my world.

I loved Jennifer Darling. It wasn't until I watched the first episode featuring Callahan on "Six Million Dollar Man" that I realized she was a dwarf. I thought the fembot episodes were the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2018 8:48 PM

Several years ago I saw Lindsay Wagner at Dinah's Restaurant in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 8:50 PM

[R37] Really? Dinah's in Glendale? Great fried chicken!

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 9:55 PM

R38 Dinah's near LAX airport.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 9:59 PM

It's a shame Lindsay achieved stardom in an era when making the leap from TV into films was much, much harder. Today it's a non-issue. She really had the whole package - looks, brains, charm, talent, a lovely feminine quality while still being strong, a wonderful speaking voice, etc.. She did make some features but not as the star and not in top-quality films.

Why did her career stall out? Or did she transition into her high-profile TV movie career due to work/family concerns?

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 10:00 PM

[R39] I see. So Lindsay Wagner likes her fried chicken - who knew? I'll bet she chose a side of cold bean salad.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 10:02 PM

I do remember her in Nighthawks, but Lindsay starred in quite a few made for TV movies. She had a style all her own. Very down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2018 2:42 AM

She was my first, and only, female crush. I crushed hard on her.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2018 2:49 AM

For you, r28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2018 3:40 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2018 3:41 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2018 3:42 AM

George Hamilton had nothing on Richard Anderson (Oscar) when it came to tanning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 4:14 AM

R47 I read somewhere that Richard Anderson was obsessed with tanning and would suntan on the Universal lot during filming.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 4:17 AM

I had no idea Richard Anderson died last year.

RIP, babe!

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2018 4:20 AM

Bitch, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2018 4:27 AM

I think Richard Anderson was my first “daddy” crush. I used to have the Oscar Goldman doll (with exploding briefcase!) and I was quite interested in what he had on under his khakis. (Painted turquoise “underwear”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 4:32 AM

Best opening theme song ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2018 4:33 AM

More food for baby gay thought

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2018 4:34 AM

Oscar checks off a lot of my boxes.

What I thought was pretty cool about Jaime is that she was essentially resurrected not once, but twice. But yeah, she did have ambivalent feelings about paying her debt to the U.S. government (a debt Steve arranged on her behalf). This culminated in her flipping her shit in the very last episode, arguing with herself over what her life's become.

Two more things: -- A, I think the episode where Steve strips down to his underwear to run through the rain (part three of the Fembots saga) was the first prolonged beefcake sequence on American TV. -- B, The show gave up way too soon on the story opportunities that could have came from Jaime's tennis fame or even just being a teacher.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 5:07 AM

I loved that show and yes the fembots were a big part of it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 5:25 AM

Loved Lindsay and the Bionic Woman too. My first and only female crush also! I think I wanted to be her. She had this androgynous beauty, strength, and vulnerability well before Gia Carangi slunk on to the scene- who IMO was greatly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2018 6:02 AM

Martin E. Brooks - my favorite of the three Rudys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2018 11:29 AM

Nice, R46! I'd never seen that picture before. They both look great.

[quote]As a kid my dream was a Wonder Woman/Bionic Woman cross over episode but it never happened. Just in my fantasies.

That would've been cool, I agree. I guess because BW was set in the present day and WW (in her first season) was set in the 1940s, it would've been difficult to make something like that work without some kind of time-shifting storyline to explain it. Perhaps if both had stayed on ABC (each jumped to other networks after their first seasons), it eventually would've happened. (Of course, WW's timeline was switched to the present day after it moved to CBS.)

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2018 12:24 AM

I wish I still had the Bananas Magazine that had them both on the cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2018 12:30 AM

I still have Lindsay on the cover of Gossip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2018 12:31 AM

I had a magazine called Dynamite at the time that had Lindsay on the cover. Wish I had saved it after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2018 2:05 AM

Here you go R61, but you'll have to bid in the next few days, and you'll have to buy all 12 issues.

I'd consider bidding myself, but they don't have the Shields and Yarnell issue I'm seeking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2018 10:12 AM

I loved Lindsay Wagner as Jamie Sommers when I was a kid. I would pretend I was the Bionic Woman all of the time when I was a little boy.

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2018 11:59 AM

She should have gotten a refund on bionic ear, since she had to move her hair to completely expose the ear for it to work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2018 12:05 PM

i always wanted a bionic asshole and mouth that way i could accommodate more cocks, more quickly.

by Anonymousreply 65January 20, 2018 12:37 PM

[quote]i always wanted a bionic asshole and mouth that way i could accommodate more cocks, more quickly.

We know, Rudy.

by Anonymousreply 66January 20, 2018 12:54 PM

Used to watch both Bionic series way back then, fun entertainment - loved the fembot storyline, quite scarry.

If they reboot the series today, what would she do for the classic phone book ripping stunt in her classroom? A lot of younger people today wouldn’t know what that is.

by Anonymousreply 67January 20, 2018 1:12 PM

Jesus, r21...I had no idea. That’s fascinating.

Who knew reading a thread about TBW would have introduced me to that fascinating story of Uli Derickson, the first woman ever awarded with the Silver Cross for Valor by the Legion of Valor.

I wonder how many unsung heroes walk among us in daily life...

by Anonymousreply 68January 20, 2018 1:23 PM

OMG, thank you, R62! I would love to have all of those. Maybe I'll put in a bid.

[quote]She should have gotten a refund on bionic ear, since she had to move her hair to completely expose the ear for it to work.

LOL, never thought about that before, R64. Excellent point!

[quote]Used to watch both Bionic series way back then, fun entertainment - loved the fembot storyline, quite scarry.

Scary and perhaps even realistic -- is it possible Trump is a fembot???

[quote]If they reboot the series today, what would she do for the classic phone book ripping stunt in her classroom? A lot of younger people today wouldn’t know what that is.

I would suggest tearing a MacBook Air in half.

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote] is it possible Trump is a fembot???

I'm pretty sure Melania is.

by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2018 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!