Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Excuse me, Sir, Miss...Papa!! But can you please tell me what happened to Bloomingdale's?

As a kiddie in the 70s , I used to come to New York from England with my parents and from what I remember it was a very big deal then.

Very fashionable. Everyone talked about it, went there...it was a big New York icon of the era (this is what I seem to remember, tell me if I'm wrong).

Then it just seemed to fade as a fashionable place. Still there, but no one seemed to care very much.

What happened?

How's Bloomingdale's today? I never see it referred to on DL.

ALSO...& am I right about the 70s?...or was it as high profile and loved before the '70s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2020 3:24 AM

Federated Department Stores owns it. The chain that destroyed Macy's has turned Bloomingdale's into something less fabulous than Macy's used to be.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2015 7:43 PM

Yes in the 70s it came into its own. It was the department store in NY that managed to have some young funky glamour associated more with boutiques such as Fiorucci. It also had a sort of Biba crossed with Liberty feel, sometimes, with a helping of NY JAP, so the brits would have especially been attracted to it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2015 7:44 PM

I first heard of it in Splash when Darryl Hannah goes there to try on clothes. Seven year old me thought it must be the height of New York sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2015 7:44 PM

We loved it in 1976. Thank you, Traubs.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2015 7:48 PM

[quote]I first heard of it in Splash

It was also referred to in Annie Hall...when Annie says she wonders how she'd stand up to torture in Nazi Germany:

"The Gestapo would take away your Bloomingdale's charge card and you'd tell 'em everything."

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2015 7:49 PM

[quote]Yes in the 70s it came into its own. It was the department store in NY that managed to have some young funky glamour associated more with boutiques such as Fiorucci. It also had a sort of Biba crossed with Liberty feel, sometimes, with a helping of NY JAP, so the brits would have especially been attracted to it.

Yes, this is exactly what I remember.

& the way they'd change the shopping bags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2015 7:53 PM

Tried and true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2015 7:56 PM

Saturday's Generation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2015 7:57 PM

Bloomingdale's, 1976.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2015 7:59 PM

You know what happens at Bloomingdale's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2015 8:05 PM

I always thought its charms were overhyped, but R1 offers a succinct explanation of how just about every department store in the U.S. went to hell. Every city of any size used to have at least one or two good department stores that enjoyed some regional/brand identity. Now everything is shades of Macy's..

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2015 8:08 PM

Lol @ R10

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2015 8:12 PM

Walmart happened.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2015 8:17 PM

Thank you for posting that superb and spot-on clip, R9. You're so clever.

It says that even the Queen said when she went to New York in 1976 that she wanted to see Bloomingdale's & there she is! Bizarre...The Queen in Bloomingdale's! Wonder if she bought anything.

Strangely the store and the people in the clip (apart from her maj.) look incredibly dowdy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2015 9:26 PM

1970s clothing *was* incredibly dowdy, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2015 9:28 PM

I first heard of it in Erica Jong's books. I also pictured it as something glamorous and fab. The first time I went to the store I realized it's neither. It looked worn out and underwhelming. It was probably big back in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2015 9:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2015 9:54 PM

She was a reporter. Her name is Blair Sabol. I don't think she had a connection to the store. She was writing for the Village Voice at that time.

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2015 9:58 PM

[quote]She was a reporter. Her name is Blair Sabol.

Sorry about that....and sorry, Blair if you're reading this. Those cardigans WERE quite the thing back in '76.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2015 10:03 PM

It became too popular with hoi polloi. Nordstrom is for them too.

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2015 10:08 PM

Do not forget the Winston Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2015 10:11 PM

Summer of '76:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2015 10:13 PM

Those New Yawk accents in the 60 Minutes clip are a thing of the past as well. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2015 11:35 PM

Do you live in NY, R23?

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2015 11:37 PM

I wonder whether it is still Rachel Green's favorite store?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2015 12:04 AM

The Mother Ship, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2015 12:05 AM

It was a great store when it was New York-centric. Now they have stores from coast to coast (and soon in Hawaii) and they have to carry stuff that will sell in Atlanta and Skokie, IL as well as New York. So their selection is much more homogenized.

Plus they just aren't as exciting as they used to be. Gone are the wonderful model rooms, Rizzoli books, gourmet foods, the international expositions, such as the Fete de France in 1983, and most of the things that made it worthwhile stopping by often.

It all started with Robert Campeau buying, and then starving the chain.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2015 12:06 AM

[quote]Gone are the wonderful model rooms

No model rooms?

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2015 12:08 AM

Bergdorf Goodman, bendEl and Needless Markup. Was sad when Bonito Teller went the way of the wind.

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2015 12:20 AM

Bonwit

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2015 12:20 AM

I thought Benito must have been an in name for it

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2015 12:25 AM

Sad to see the magic gone, but still not as much of travesty as the death of Marshall Field's.

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2015 12:31 AM

It was never Brooks Brothers. In fact nothing remains remotely like Brooks Brothers and its quality has dimished.

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2015 12:32 AM

It never wanted to be Brooks Brothers. Why compare?

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2015 12:40 AM

It was completely redone in the very early 1970s. When I told my mother, NYC born and raised, that I was going to Bloomingdale's in maybe 1972 or 73 she was appalled. She later told me it was never considered a nice store and wasn't even as nice as the old Macy's which wasn't exactly a top store - though relaible and nicely middle class. If anyone is from DC Macy's was like Woodie's in its best days and Bloomies was like Hechts.

My mom came around and ended up loving it - especially the fabulous ever changing shopping bags. She even had a birthday cake decorated to replicate one of the bags. I miss her - nobody would do that for me today.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2015 1:11 AM

Anne Baxter collapsed and died on the sidewalk outside Bloomingdale's while Christmas shopping in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2015 1:14 AM

Bloomingdales had the cruisiest tea room in NYC in the late 70's and early 80's. 7th Floor. Near the furniture department. Just past the bank of elevators. Other than that, the store was almost manic in its trendiness. Great items. Nothing was cheap. Very, very high energy.

After the stock market crash in the late 80's, department stores were hurting. Federated took advantage of the situation, bought all the regional department stores and trashed 'em all. And it was awful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2015 1:37 AM

I vaguely remember seeing an interview with Robert Campeau. Thinking he lost quite a bit of his holdings - maybe went bankrupt - had a bit of a downhill slide with wife taking assets as part of divorce. Can't be bothered researching it -but Campeau was kind of like Canada's Trump -for a while. Sad story.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2015 1:55 AM

I didn't find Bloomingdale's till I lived in NYC from 1981-1988. Used to buy ridiculously expensive bday and Xmas gifts for my three nieces, then c. ages 2, 6, and 7. My mother, way upstate, had to patiently explain to me kids' sizes - 2T, 3T, 4T - "T" meant toddler. Then sizes, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - those were bigger (I think. Got/still get confused!)

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2015 1:56 AM

Bernie Ebbers was Canada's Trump

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2015 3:01 AM

Is Forty Carrots still there?

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2015 7:05 AM

It used to be a wonderful store, but one step below places like Bendels, Bergdorf's and Brooks Brothers. Now, it's just like Macys, and all of the others, including Nordstrom, which used to be exclusive, but isn't any longer. Now all of the major departent stores are just full of sales racks and the unwashed masses. I used to love shoppng, but it's lost any and all appeal for me. There were tea rooms, fashions shows, one-of-a kind items, knowledgeable staff, but not any longer. If you were a regular in a certain department, they remembered your name. It lost it's cache.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2015 7:56 AM

The Queen arrives at Bloomingdale's, 1976.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2015 8:25 AM

From The Bloomingdale's Book of Home Decorating. 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2015 8:27 AM

[quote]Anne Baxter collapsed and died on the sidewalk outside Bloomingdale's while Christmas shopping in NYC.

Anne Baxter collapsed on Madison Avenue after suffering a brain aneurysm while trying to hail a cab. She died in the hospital eight days later.

by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2015 8:27 AM

& another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 29, 2015 8:28 AM

Many years ago, I think in the late 70s or early 80s, the then-prestigious "Sixty Minutes" had a story on Bloomingdales in New York. They said it seemed to have a strange effect on people, that anyone who went in there for a look around ended up spending huge amounts of money they hadn't intended to spend. They tried to analyze the store's incredible appeal, and the word "magical" was definitely used.

Several years later, a Bloomingdale's opened in my home town, and I entered with trepidation as I couldn't afford to throw away if the store really did have a "magical" effect. Needless to say, I was totally underwhelmed, it was just a department store that overpriced everything.

Ah, the idiocy of youth, and of "Sixty Minutes".

by Anonymousreply 47September 29, 2015 8:48 AM

Woody Allen brazenly flirted with a not-single Diane Keaton while shopping at Bloomie's in the movie Manhattan (1979). Her line was "We're in the middle of Bloomingdales; someone might see us!"

by Anonymousreply 48September 29, 2015 8:56 AM

[quote]Woody Allen brazenly flirted with a not-single Diane Keaton while shopping at Bloomie's in the movie Manhattan (1979). Her line was "We're in the middle of Bloomingdales; someone might see us!"

It wasn't Woody, it was the other guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 29, 2015 9:01 AM

[quote]You know what happens at Bloomingdale's.

Ain't that the truth, R10!

& guess where you'll end up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 29, 2015 9:14 AM

R41: Forty Carrots is still there. What's up with all the '70s nostalgia on the DL lately?

by Anonymousreply 51September 29, 2015 10:36 AM

[quote]What's up with all the '70s nostalgia on the DL lately?

It was better then.

by Anonymousreply 52September 29, 2015 1:04 PM

R49 Michael Murphy couldn't get enough Bloomingdales.

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2015 1:06 PM

[quote] Is Forty Carrots still there?

it's still there, and the frozen yogurt is as wonderful as ever, but it's been moved up to the 7th floor, next to the linen department, where the Intermission Cafe used to be, so you can't just pop in and out through the subway entrance like you used to be able to do.

The sit-down portion is very nice, good food, decent prices, but in order to get there, you have to run the gauntlet of low-class trash who are too cheap to leave a tip so they buy their frozen yogurt at the takeaway counter and then sprawl on the model beds and the stairs in the bedding department to eat. I'm always surprised the staff doesn't shoo them away, but I guess it's a losing battle.

Le Train Bleu is still off the housewares department on 6, and still a marvelous retreat for a noontime indulgence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 29, 2015 2:03 PM

Nothing is as fabulous as it was in the 70s. But maybe that's because I was a little kid and it all seemed so out-of-reach. Once you experience something firsthand, it's so much less mysterious and romantic.

by Anonymousreply 55September 29, 2015 2:03 PM

I was clicking around their online site only yesterday and their winter coat selection is SPARSE.

by Anonymousreply 56September 29, 2015 2:12 PM

[quote]it's still there, and the frozen yogurt is as wonderful as ever, but it's been moved up to the 7th floor, next to the linen department, where the Intermission Cafe used to be

& the homemade muffins?

I remember a place called The Glasshouse in the linen dept. in the 70s. The best blueberry muffins I've ever had. My mother would leave me in there while she went to buy sheets to take back to England...and I'd sit up at the counter and chat with the ladies who had come into the city for the day. We English were still a novelty in New York in the '70s. A crowd would gather round me (I'm kidding...sort of).

I remember the sheets were actually pretty horrible and scratchy. God knows what they were made of.

by Anonymousreply 57September 29, 2015 2:30 PM

[quote]It lost it's cache.

DOUBLE "oh, dear."

by Anonymousreply 58September 29, 2015 3:04 PM

Good catch, R58.

Good catch, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59September 29, 2015 3:06 PM

I remember buying Marcella Hazan's homemade pasta there in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 60September 29, 2015 3:07 PM

I loved Forty Carrots! The frozen yogurt and those non-chocolate carao (sp?) chips on top! And their tuna sandwiches.

There's a Forty Carrots at the Bloomies in Chestnut Hill, but it has no pizazz. I loved people watching at lunchtime at the counter in NY.

by Anonymousreply 61September 29, 2015 3:29 PM

[quote] I loved people watching at lunchtime at the counter in NY.

It looks like they've removed the counters in R54's pic.

by Anonymousreply 62September 29, 2015 3:37 PM

No, R62, the counter still exists at Forty Carrots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 29, 2015 3:42 PM

B.Altman's cold cream soaps, magical. Their Portuguese flannel, divine. Campo had a NYT article warning titled 'beware of Canadians bearing gifts' when he took over Federated.

by Anonymousreply 64September 29, 2015 4:24 PM

I browse at Bloomingdales...

But I buy at ALEXANDERS...

I buy at ALEXANDERS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 29, 2015 5:26 PM

R65 You should've warned us that Sue Simmons was in that clip! Trigger!

by Anonymousreply 66September 29, 2015 10:05 PM

Does anyone remember the Betsy and Alfred Bloomingdale scandal? Betsy was one of Nancy Reagan's best buddies. And Ronnie appointed her husband to several government positions.

[quote]While in Los Angeles, 54-year-old Alfred Bloomingdale began an affair with 18-year-old Vicki Morgan. For 12 years, Bloomingdale kept her in a luxurious apartment, showering her with expensive clothing, jewelry, and cars. When Alfred was diagnosed with terminal cancer, his wife Betsy cut off Morgan's allowance. Soon after, the affair with Vicki Morgan made headline news as its unsubstantiated and sordid details, which included allegations of sado-masochistic activities instigated by Bloomingdale, were made public after Morgan filed a multi-million dollar palimony lawsuit against Bloomingdale's estate. The case against Bloomingdale's estate was quickly dismissed by the courts. Morgan eventually moved into a low-rent condominium in the San Fernando Valley where she rented a room to a schizophrenic named Marvin Pancoast, whom she knew from the withdrawal clinic. In July 1983, Pancoast beat her to death with a baseball bat.

by Anonymousreply 67September 29, 2015 10:10 PM

[quote] B.Altman's cold cream soaps, magical.

I adored Altman's. That was a wonderful store

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 29, 2015 11:49 PM

[quote] Anne Baxter collapsed and died on the sidewalk outside Bloomingdale's while Christmas shopping in NYC.

Serves her right.

by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2015 11:57 PM

I used to even into the 90s to Lord &Taylors to buy gloves and belts. There were quality items in the leather section there then. No, it's absolute crap! The belts are made of cardboard!

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2015 12:05 AM

Department stores have become dinosaurs, and have had to become less high end more mainstream in order to survive. People in the 70's liked shopping in big stores; now, people prefer smaller stores, boutiques, and online. Bloomingdales was great when I was a kid; not it couldn't be less mainstream and middle of the road.

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2015 12:25 AM

I honestly can't say that I've ever been in one.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2020 1:56 AM

Anyone left who remembers Arnold Constable A & S or Best and Company? If not I win the oldest fossil on this thread award.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2020 3:27 AM

The toilet scene was fabulous on 4, 5 and 7 and sometimes 2.

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2020 3:30 AM

you all sound rich

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2020 3:38 AM

I remember going with my mother to Bloomingdales in White Plains NY in 1976. Even that store was fabulous. I was ten years old and she took me to 40 Carrots for lunch. Yogurt with fruit and nuts or granola. I loved it . I remember a year later going with my parents to the same store and seeing a VCR behind a glass case. The price was $1,000. A huge sum in 1977.

by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2020 3:47 AM

I was at Bloomies one afternoon in the 70s looking though sweaters piled on a table, some guy was doing the same but standing so close to me and sort of crowding me out.

I turned to see who this idiot was and I found myself face to face with Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2020 3:57 AM

I've never been in one, but I first heard of it on "The Facts of Life." It was Blair Warner's favorite store.

No wonder.

by Anonymousreply 78May 23, 2020 4:02 AM

I’ve never been in Best & Company.

But I’ve been in A&S, Gertz, May’s, EJ Korvette’s, Grant’s, Bamberger’s, Orbach’s, Filene’s, B Altman, Woolworth, Marshall’s, Stern’s, Steinbach, Caldor.

I loved Stern’s. I have small hands (I’m not Donald Trump). Every year leather gloves were 50% off the day after Christmas.Then they’d be 75% off and I could always find a pair because there would be at least one pair of size small that were abnormally small, so they didn’t get bought during the 50% sale.

Does anyone even remember routine 50% off sales? Now sakes are 10%, 15% and 20% and they wonder why stores are going out of business.

December 26, everything was 50% off.

by Anonymousreply 79May 23, 2020 4:01 PM

I grew up in California (a long time ago when there were no Bloomies in the west) and had never been in one until I moved to DC in '78. They had stores in VA and MD and I loved them. Even though they were smaller suburban stores, they had the gourmet food department and bakery. Great home department, too.

by Anonymousreply 80May 23, 2020 7:08 PM

Was checked out by Hubert de Givenchy in the 70s on the 5th floor of the flagship store. So tall and handsome and French.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2020 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!