Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elizabeth ! or Mary Queen of Scotts

Take a side!! State your case!!

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2020 10:47 PM

I meant Elizabeth I but exclamation points are always fun so either way.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2015 12:37 AM

Mary was sophisticated; Elizabeth was white trash

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2015 12:48 AM

I’m called the Virgin Queen. Unmarried. I have no master. Childless. I am a mother to my people. God gave my strength to bare mighty freedom. I am your Queen. I am myself.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2015 12:52 AM

Elizabeth. Mary was a Catholic whore.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2015 1:22 AM

Mary! She liked the cock, she was educated, witty, loved dancing and parties, spoke several languages and could wear the hell out of a black velvet dress.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2015 1:28 AM

Apparently, Liz had the same attributes R5 (except she didn't go in for black and her taste for cock is a little less obvious).

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2015 1:53 AM

Even though Mary married a gay dude--which is what I aspire to, Elizabeth had more stuff.

And I need more stuff.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2015 1:55 AM

Phhhht. Elizabeth I all day long. Smarter, stronger, a better and more successful queen, she was everything that Mary wasn't.

Mary was a fool and a terrible queen.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2015 1:58 AM

Mary is the great great great great great great great great great great great grandmother of Elizabeth II.

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2015 2:31 AM

True, Elizabeth II's connection to the Stuarts, Tudors and Plantagenets is through Mary.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2015 2:33 AM

[quote] Scotts

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2015 2:37 AM

Jesus Fucking Christ, r10. Elizabeth's father was Henry VIII, Henry Tudor. Where do you get your facts, Bubblegum wrappers?

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2015 2:57 AM

Elizabeth I had no issue, R10. Elizabeth II can only be an indirect descendant (as she is of Henry VIII, because Mary is descended from Henry VIII's sister); she's a direct descendant of Mary, Queen of Scots. I don't think R10 was saying that QEII had no relationship to Elizabeth I, but her relationship with Mary is stronger.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2015 3:04 AM

R12 with the little detail of QEI being childless, how do you think QEII is descended from QEI?

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2015 3:19 AM

Queen Elizabeth II is the direct descendant of the first Tudor King, Henry VII, and his wife Elizabeth of York, whose marriage ended the Wars of the Roses. They were the parents of Henry VIII and grandparents of Elizabeth I. They were also the great-grandparents of Mary Queen of Scots, from whom Elizabeth II is a direct descendant.

Henry VII and Elizabeth of York's elder daughter Margaret Tudor married King James IV of Scotland. Their son, James V of Scotland (first cousin of Elizabeth I of England) married the French Princess Marie de Guise, and their only child was Mary, Queen of Scots. Mary's son James VI of Scotland succeeded Elizabeth I to became James I, the first Stuart king of the newly united Great Britain.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2015 3:48 AM

And Helen Mirren has award for each of them

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2015 3:50 AM

Elizabeth, hands down.

If Mary had gotten her way and taken the English throne, it would have been a disaster. She was a great character in the soap opera of her own life, but a lousy leader with truly shitty judgment. Elizabeth was her superior in every way as a queen except in the matter of an heir.

by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2015 3:54 AM

Mary was cute but Lizzie was a bobcat in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2015 3:59 AM

Mary lost her throne and her head. Elizabeth founded an empire. There's no question who wins this.

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2015 4:02 AM

Helen has awards for playing both Elizabeth's; she's never played Mary Queen of Scots to my knowledge (she's far too plain, if you ask me).

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2015 4:07 AM

No contest. QEI's reign was called the Elizabethan Age for a reason. Under her rule, the arts in England flourished (Shakespeare, anyone?). More importantly, she inherited a virtually penniless kingdom and by the time she died, England was among the richest and most powerful in Europe. Spain never recovered from the English navy destroying its Armada. Mary was considered prettier, but she was spoiled, foolish, lacked guile, and was dumb as a box of wigs.

by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2015 4:42 AM

Why did Mary lose her head? Because a letter claimed she was going to kill Lizzie The First? Was she framed ?

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2015 4:44 AM

divorced. beheaded. died. divorced. beheaded. survived.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2015 4:48 AM

No, R22. The dumb bitch was in on the plan to kill Bess. She was undone by QEI's spymaster Walsingham who set her up by allowing her coded letters to be smuggled out of her prison which showed her support for the plot. Mary believed Elizabeth a heretic and a bastard (born while Catherine of Aragorn was still alive) and therefore not the rightful monarch. Mary saw herself as rightful Queen of England.

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2015 4:49 AM

I like Mary, Queen of Scottsdale.

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2015 4:53 AM

Anne. Such a lesbian she was fat and had a cane. Also great supporter of the Anglican Church, of which she was head.

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2015 4:59 AM

I like Mary simply because she had syphilis of the nose; that's amazing!

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Did her twink husband, Lord Darney, give it to her, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2015 11:25 AM

In many ways, we are all like Elizabeth I.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2015 1:39 PM

Elizabeth. Mary was vain and entitled. Elizabeth was cunning and effective. Very much the Englishwoman.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2015 1:51 PM

[quote]Why did Mary lose her head? Because a letter claimed she was going to kill Lizzie The First? Was she framed ?

She died because she was in the way. Her guilt or innocence is irrelevant. She's not the only one to get that treatment from ER, but she was royalty and so Elizabeth was very conflicted about snuffing her. She ultimately decided to do it but to pretend others had tricked/misled her into it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2015 1:56 PM

Mary's three marriages were disasters. She of course could not be blamed for her first marriage, to King Francis II of France, but marrying Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley and James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell cost her the Scottish throne.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2015 4:03 PM

Too bad there weren't 12 step programs for that in those days, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2015 4:12 PM

Mary. Elizabeth is an overrated bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2015 8:48 PM

Elizabeth really showed her true colors when she knighted filthy trash slave trader Francis Drake. Cunt is cancelled! No wonder Jane Austen despised her.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2020 3:08 AM

We are nay amoosed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2020 3:23 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2020 3:35 AM

Okay, men. Time to retire your gay cards and return those toaster ovens!

Gay men shout, proclaim, mutter, or exclaim, "Mary!" Not fucking "Elizabeth!"

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2020 5:05 AM

First I must watch this film, and THEN I will decide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2020 7:13 AM

[quote]Mary's son James VI of Scotland succeeded Elizabeth I to became James I, the first Stuart king of the newly united Great Britain.

No, the first monarch of Great Britain was Queen Anne, when the Acts of Union took effect. James I was both king of England and separately king of Scotland (as James VI). Great Britain was not formed until 1707.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2020 7:32 AM

R40 technically true but James called himself King of Great Britain. And he never went back to Scotland again IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2020 7:41 AM

He could call himself the queen of Sheba, but it wouldn't make it so.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2020 7:58 AM

Well, he was a queen!

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2020 6:57 PM

R43 He was a top though, Villiers called himself his “wife”

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2020 9:21 PM

Elizabeth all the way! She was a fantastic politician and the most brilliant woman of her era, and many eras before and after!

While Mary was 200 kinds of fool. She knew shit about politics, she knew shit about Scotland and didn't care to know more, she blindly insisted on her royal prerogatives while having no understanding of power, she thought a monarch could marry for love without causing a political disaster and didn't even get the "love" part right, and worst of all, when the shit hit the fan she was stupid enough to run to Elizabeth for help instead of the French. Why the Hell would Elizabeth want to bump a protestant off the throne of Scotland, to put Mary back on it??? Why the hell did Mary think she would? Gawd, Mary should have been lobotomized and propped on the throne, for the people to look at while people with brains did the actual ruling.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2020 10:35 PM

My dear Elizabeth, you're such a career maker! Er, I mean a country maker.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2020 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!