Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Songs of Ruined, Tragic, or Melancholy Weddings

It's the Talk of the Town by Dakota Staton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2020 8:12 PM

$1000 Wedding by Gram Parsons.

I just posted this on the "most depressing songs ever" thread and was subsequently moved to start a new "sad wedding" thread. A sub-genre of sorts, though the wedding only has to be awful in some respect to someone, not necessarily sad.

This one is sad, though, even if the story is quite enigmatic. Secret ingredient to sorrow: add Emmylou Harris for harmony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2015 10:24 PM

I Don't Want to Throw Rice by Dolly Parton.

She would rather throw rocks. She's more angry than sad:

"I feel like tying dynamite to her side of the car."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2015 10:27 PM

"White-Wheeled Limousine" by Bruce Hornsby. Killer piano playing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2015 10:30 PM

I Went to Your Wedding by Patti Page.

you came down the aisle wearing a smile / a vision of loveliness I uttered a sigh then whispered a sigh / goodbye to my happiness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2015 10:31 PM

All that's left is a band of Gold, because she found out her new husband was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2015 10:35 PM

Stop the Wedding by Etta James.

It even opens with a preacher asking if anyone has objections.

She does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2015 10:35 PM

It Should Have Been Me!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2015 10:38 PM

"All I Could Do Was Cry," by Etta James

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2015 10:38 PM

Wedding Bells by George Jones.

He can't bear to attend the ceremony but then torments himself with visions of what it must look like and fantasizes that he is the groom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2015 10:41 PM

The River - Bruce Springsteen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2015 10:44 PM

More George Jones: A Rose from the Bride's Bouquet.

His best friend got the girl, and George got a rose with withering petals to fade just like the bride's love for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2015 10:46 PM

r7, Yvonne Fair is ON FIRE!

I had only been familiar with the Gladys Knight and the Pips version of this song, which is tame by comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2015 10:49 PM

HIGH MELODRAMA TRIGGER WARNING:

Go On with the Wedding by Patti Page, complete with two extended spoken sections, a surprise appearance from a declared-dead soldier, a sacrificial groom, and a relentless church organ to heighten the tension.

I picture Joan Crawford all over this, especially during all the talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2015 10:57 PM

r12, Dawn French "re-popularized" the Yvonne Fair version when she made great comic use of it on The Vicar of Dibley. All DLers should immediately recognize the groom as Lee Pace BFF Richard Armitage.

Sorry for the mediocre clip, but YouTube keeps deleting this very funny scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2015 11:21 PM

Thanks, r14. I had never seen that before, and Dawn French has a great mouth made for lip-syncing angry soul.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2015 10:57 AM

"Band of Gold" was the first one to come to mind for me, too.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2015 2:52 AM

This literotica story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2020 8:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!