Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lending Your Phone To Strangers

I've become a Hobo Switchboard operator. Apparently, I look like the type of person who shares.

Torn between the chance to google phone numbers they've dialed (who are their people?) and having bearded ladies and men rubbing cheeks against my cheap phone, I need to come up with a way to use my phone unobtrusively without attracting the needy.

Any solutions?

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2020 5:07 AM

Learn to say "no".

by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2015 2:51 PM

I would only allow someone to use my phone if they had been robbed of theirs and needed to call the cops or call home.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2015 2:56 PM

Tell them no. Why is that hard?

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2015 2:57 PM

This reminds me of the time when iPods first came out. Some kid was chatting with his friends and a weird guy wouldn't leave him alone until the kid let him shove the ear bud into his ear for a listen. Barf.

"Just let me listen. Why not?" Over and over until the kid relented.

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2015 3:06 PM

It's always an emergency.

It's happened twice this weekend and three times last week at the library, outdoor cafe, and train depot.

I just assumed you wouldn't ask for a phone unless it was life or death.

Instead, it's usually "Will you pick me up?" and the answer looks like it's "No."

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2015 3:07 PM

Tell them no. I no longer smoke but I told them no for that as well. When I worked across the street from a homeless shelter I would get asked at least 10 times a day. So annoying!

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2020 1:46 AM

I always say, "I'm sorry, I can't help you" and walk on.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2020 1:48 AM

In the age of COVID, I cannot imagine letting even Betty White use my phone if she had said she had just been mugged.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2020 1:49 AM

Tell the truth, OP. You are exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2020 1:50 AM

You seem stupid!

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2020 1:55 AM

Sometimes a lost boy in a park at night might need to borrow a phone! It would be immoral not to help him out!

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2020 2:08 AM

These people are grifters, OP. Don’t even bother saying “no”.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2020 2:26 AM

I have resting bitch face, very few people approach me. There was one time I was sitting in front of the AirBnB that I was staying at, on my phone, and an older teenager came running up to me and asked to use my phone because his mom was in an accident. I looked down the street from whence he came, and there was nothing, so I said, "No". He then tried to pluck it out of my hand, but my phone was attached to me by a strap (Bandolier thank you) and fell out of his hand. I kicked him in the knee and yelled, "GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME", and he ran away.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2020 2:35 AM

I would NEVER loan my phone to a stranger. If there was an emergency, I would offer to make a call for them.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2020 3:03 AM

Tell them about Susanswerphone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2020 3:17 AM

Yuck, shit, cum, smegma, gook, germs, spit, sweat, boogers, what not from strangers on your phone.

And OP wouldn't know how a battalion of diseases have hit her if she just dropped dead.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]I need to come up with a way to use my phone unobtrusively without attracting the needy.

Move to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2020 5:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!