Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were Jackie Kennedy's years in Manhattan in the 1970s considered glamorous?

I can't help but feel like Jackie's presence was a bright spot in an otherwise declining city at the time.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2020 3:16 PM

John, THAT IS ENOUGH.

Stop spamming us, PMBT, and go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2015 7:48 AM

I'm not the PBR&B troll, or whatever it's called. Just a 22 year old with daydreams and a history degree.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2015 7:51 AM

Uh-huh, well then 22 year old with daydreams and a useless but interesting degree, go to bed. Your posting is too much like PMBT's.

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2015 7:57 AM

Oh, and I did just want to mention that I don't believe you, R2.

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2015 7:58 AM

How bad was NYC, anyway. I recently read on here that NYC was on the verge of bankruptcy in the '70s and Times Square was full of pimps and hoes and drug dealers. I grew up in a post-Giuliani NYC, so I can't fathom the city going to shit nor the crime spree in that area.

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2015 8:05 AM

No, OP, that is when she had to go on assistance. Things didn't pick up for Jackie until the mid-80s when Maurice Tempelsman recognized her standing in line at a soup kitchen and took her away from all that.

by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2015 8:07 AM

How many more threads are you going to start that ask about the life and times of Jackie Kennedy Onassis? Go to the fucking library already.

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2015 8:30 AM

NYC was a lot more fun in the 1970s. It was real, relatively affordable, and the city wasn't a fucking Disneyland for the uber wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2015 5:44 PM

I think she was a bright spot briefly, OP, but when winter came she asked to be allowed down from her perch atop the Chrysler Building.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2015 5:49 PM

Women's Wear Daily had wonderful photographic coverage of the lunch crowd at La Grenouille, which they called "The Frog Pond". Jackie was frequently there and Rudi too and Babe.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2015 6:17 PM

[quote] No, OP, that is when she had to go on assistance. Things didn't pick up for Jackie until the mid-80s when Maurice Tempelsman recognized her standing in line at a soup kitchen and took her away from all that.

Lol. I think Jackie On Assistance is my favorite DL meme.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2020 2:01 PM

I get a kick out of it, too, r11.

Anyway, speaking of the 70s, I consider Jackie O to be the 2nd best dressed famous person I've ever seen. She's edged out of the number 1 spot by her son's wife Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.

While I know everybody looked ridiculous in the 70s, (although I do like seeing on young adults the current trendy 70s fashion resurrection) still, I thought Jackie would have avoided that. Alas, she too made a few unfortunate choices.

Those are what caused me to rank her behind CBK.

Yeah, I'll try to link a few of Jackie's 70s debacles.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2020 3:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!