Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kathy Sledge threatens to crash Sister Sledge performance

So, did Kathy try anything tonight?

"We're told Kathy is not taking this lying down ... she's planning to get onstage someway, somehow when the group performs at the World Meeting of Families in Philly. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2018 11:37 AM

Sounds similar to how Bonnie Pointer got permanently shut-out from her sister act because she left to do some solo work. That rarely breaks up rock bands though, people are allowed to do solo work without being permanently banned from the group. But we don't know the story behind it, maybe they were begging Kathy to come back for years and she refused. And now that she wants back, they're sick of her.

by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2015 4:31 AM

She sounds crazy. From the article below, they've been estranged for twenty years since she went solo.

If they've been performing without her for all this time, she has never trying to get into their Pope gig.

Sounds jealous because she wasn't invited as a solo act.

If there hasn't been reconciliation attempts all along, I'd ban her too.

If she's tried to reconnect with them for a long time,, then they're holding a grudge pretty long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2015 4:45 AM

She was the lead singer. There's not much point to a Sister Sledge without her.

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2015 4:48 AM

One of the comments in the article above says that one of the other sisters wasn't there either. So it was a duo

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2015 4:49 AM

Of course Kathy wasn't invited as a solo act, her solo act flopped. She only recorded one album that I know of. The sisters recorded one album without her in the 90s, their last album. Bonnie had a few hits but faded fast as disco died, and also having her husband produce her albums. That really hurt when he badly botched her 1983 album, which was following a comeback song on a soundtrack. I don't think Bonnie's released a full album since, or maybe there was a really obscure one recently. I wouldn't see either of those acts without their exiled sisters.

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2015 4:54 AM

Is she the sista who threatened to throw her shoe at the Pope if she gets close enough?

by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2015 4:59 AM

In the case of Bonnie Pointer, crack sealed her fate. She STILL does it...ALLEGEDLY!

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2015 5:20 AM

Where's Miss Warwick at?

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2015 5:30 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2015 5:43 AM

Yes but people are more than their drug problems, and you can recover from them, or at least cut back. Bonnie should at least be given the opportunity. She was one of the two founding members of the group, and didn't end-up getting a cut of any of their 80s hits, probably their most commercial period. Would it be that big of a deal to tour with her even if she still was on drugs? They did it with June. As long as she can still sing, it's really nobody's business anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2015 5:49 AM

They're going to need a Sledgehammer to crack that nut.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2015 8:44 AM

We are family,

Firin' all my sisters, you see . . .

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2015 9:00 AM

Frankie was a great song. It went to #1 all over the world, but didn't do much in the United States. Give it a listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2015 1:26 PM

What r3 said. Her voice was the only distinctive thing about their vocals. Without her, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2015 1:32 PM

The sisters without Kathy were horible. That performance was terrible because it needed Kathy's vocals. They embarrassed themselves and fortunately they sang before the Pope arrived.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2015 2:21 PM

The problem stems from what they told Kathy years ago.

BYOB! That means Bye-Bye You Old Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2015 2:33 PM

Kathy's the youngest, paralleling Michael in the Jackson 5. They originally tried to break them as a female Jacksons, with a 12yr old Kathy singing lead. They had a few minor chart entries in the early 70s and then floundered until Chic decided to revive their careers.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2015 2:42 PM

It is kind of sad all the way around when it comes to Kathy Sledge and her sisters.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2016 11:31 PM

They needed Nile Rodgers as producer of everything. They were nothing before him, they were nothing after him.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2016 11:51 PM

That Frankie song is fucking awful. It sounds like the theme for a Full House spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2016 11:52 PM

Sister Sledge - He's Just A Runaway (1981) Narada Michael Walden produced this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2016 9:59 AM

lol r20. the song "Frankie" is pure shit.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2016 12:53 PM

r22 - I agree. I can't believe that song was a smash in the U.K. It is fucking terrible.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2016 12:57 PM

Sister Sledge - My Guy (1982)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2016 7:11 PM

He's the Greatest Dancer and We Are Family are all they're good for.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2016 7:33 PM

Lost in Music is also great. Those three were all written/produced by Nile Rodgers. He was all they were good for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2016 3:38 AM

"Thinking of You" is a classic.

This Dimitri From Paris Remix could be played in any club today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2016 4:21 AM

The Narada Michael Walden songs were great too.

All American Girls. Next Time You'll Know. He's a Runaway. If You Really Want Me.

My favorite Sister Sledge Album.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2016 6:48 AM

Everythig Sister Sledge did with Chic was gold, even the album cuts: "How To Love", "You Fooled Around", "Easier To Love", "I'm A Good Girl", etc.

Kathy Sledge was a fantastic vocal talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2016 7:05 AM

r27, it was never released as a single in the US, even though it would've only been the 4th single from a platinum selling album. But it was *gasp* disco, so horrifyingly urban, gay and black for the average Amurican, it had to be destroyed! It sucked (just like them homos do.) Thinking Of You was lightly remixed in the mid-80s, and became a Top 10 hit in the UK (and probably other European countries) along with an equally successful Lost in Music remix.

by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2016 7:24 AM

Here's the best thing they did prior to hooking up with Chic. One of there first singles, it charted, but wasn't a hit. But it's fab. I'm sure it only flopped from lack of promotion. Proof they didn't absolutely need Rodgers, but he certainly helped. Post Rodgers, there was the Narada Michael Walden album, who gave them a very plastic, but generally enjoyable, imitation of Chic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2016 7:52 AM

Sister Sledge - Reach Your Peak (1980)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2016 10:36 AM

Philly is chilly

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2016 11:29 AM

stay away from my food.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2016 11:50 AM

R32, Joni was always trying to push into the lead. Not content just being the prettiest she wanted to be the voice of the group, too.

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2016 3:29 PM

"The people don't know what your mama know...they don't!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 2, 2016 3:32 PM

I blame the one who looked like an alien from Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 37April 2, 2016 3:41 PM

r37, that was all of them.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2016 12:53 PM

Kathy Sledge - Take Me Back To Love Again (1992)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2016 2:28 PM

R29, I absolutely love, "I'm A Good Girl!"

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2016 2:34 PM

The follow-up album with Chic has some tasty stuff too. After that, Nile and Bernard were becoming too revered as producers, and were too busy to produce a Sister Sledge album a year. They could've had them again but would've had to wait. SS wanted to put out constant product. Rodgers did actually produce another album for them in the mid-80s, with the big euro hit we all hate Frankie. Nile hated it too, and had to be talked into it by someone. But it didn't reverse their fortunes in America.

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2016 10:03 PM

They were the Personality Free Pointer Sisters, though Nile Rodgers/Chic will always be cooler than Richard Perry.

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2016 10:06 PM

They were sexy but classy. That is how I remember Sister Sledge. They didn't have to wear lingerie onstage because they had the talent to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2016 10:35 PM

I like this from their Narada album. Music Makes You Feel Good, lives up to its name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2016 10:38 PM

[quote] [R29], I absolutely love, "I'm A Good Girl!"

Yes, well, Joni Sledge isn't ALL bad.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2016 12:25 AM

I had to go back and w&w r37. She's a cute alien though.

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2016 12:50 AM

We are family

Except that cunt Kathy

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2016 1:33 AM

#WillSisterSledgeHammerThingsOut?

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2016 1:44 AM

Sister Sledge - Gotta Get Back To Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2016 9:30 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2016 10:19 PM

They look Angolan--are they of Creole heritage, or black hispanic?

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2016 10:23 PM

I believe they're All American Girls.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2016 10:44 PM

Another remix of Thinking Of You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2016 10:56 PM

W&W for r52

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2016 11:27 PM

Chic was crazy overextended in 1980 — they wrote, produced and arranged Diana for Diana Ross, another Chic album, their second Sister Sledge album, and the Johnny Mathis album that was never released. No wonder Debbie Harry's Koo Koo sucked so hard in '81. There was nothing but lint and shitballs left for her.

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2016 12:05 AM

I think the Johnny Mathis album was finally released not long ago, though I haven't heard it.

by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2016 12:27 AM

I goofed — the Mathis album was an '81 production. Still, they had a lot going on in '80, maybe too much, and Diana got all the blockbuster material so there was a shortage for Sister Sledge et. al.

by Anonymousreply 57April 6, 2016 12:40 AM

The Johnny Mathis album is still officially unreleased, but several tracks have been released on Chic compilations. Like this one featuring Luther Vandross in the backing chorus:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 6, 2016 3:57 AM

Here's the title track to the Johnny Mathis / Chic album.

It's pretty clear Nile Rodgers struggled as a producer in the wake of the disco backlash, circa '81-'82 (Debbie Harry 's bomb, Mathis' shelving, Chic's '81 and '82 albums which barely charted when they ruled the world only two years earlier). Then he figured how to make things work for David Bowie, which led to Madonna's Like a Virgin, and he was set forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2016 4:09 AM

Listening to the Johnny Mathis tracks, and remembering Debbie Harry's Koo Koo, it seems the situations should have been reversed — Koo Koo should have been shelved.

It's too bad Debbie didn't have a crack at the songs on Diana. Supposedly the Chic guys had shopped them around for a while — to Aretha Franklin, who passed, and then they were given to Diana Ross.

That record was what everyone expected of the Debbie/Chic collaboration, and what they got was a slapdash mess.

by Anonymousreply 60April 6, 2016 4:19 AM

I've always thought that the "alien" Sledge sister and Carla from The Chew resemble each other.

by Anonymousreply 61April 6, 2016 7:20 AM

Rodger's dream collaboration was with Donna Summer, and he cites her as Chic's primary influence, starting with Love To Love You which captivated him, an angelic voice he described it. There's a great quote with him explaining that's she way beyond a typical diva, like something mystical. Donna felt boxed-in by dance music so she generally resisted recording it. She should've recorded albums with other fanatical fans, Moby and Pet Shop Boys.

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2016 7:54 AM

It's too bad that Donna Summer didn't work with Nile Rodgers and the Pet Shop Boys. Her 80s output was so hit-and-miss, she really could've used them.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2016 1:41 PM

One problem is she would've looked like she was copying Diana. Rodgers pretty much said he wished he could've given those songs to Donna. Not that it's bad with Diana, it's some of her best work.

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2016 1:50 PM

Kathy Sledge on REELGAYTV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2016 4:38 PM

I can see an "Unsung" episode on them in the future.

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2016 11:36 PM

If Aretha got the Diana songs, I'm Coming Out would have had the subtitle: As the mother of my brother.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2016 11:39 PM

I I listened to the Mathis tracks on YouTube, they are just awful. I can see why it wasn't released.

by Anonymousreply 68April 8, 2016 5:26 AM

Not awful, R68. They aren't Chic's best work, but Love and Be Loved is up there. That and the title track (remixed with more instrumentation) would have done well for Mathis, at least on the R&B and AC charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 8, 2016 4:26 PM

I am glad that they relied on their talent instead of sex appeal back in the day unlike the pop tarts of today. Sister Sledge were classy and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 70April 8, 2016 7:21 PM

[quote] Sister Sledge were classy and beautiful.

[quote] and beautiful.

[quote] beautiful.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 71April 8, 2016 8:28 PM

Kathy Sledge Live! "CHANGES / SOMEBODY LOVES ME

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 8, 2016 9:52 PM

A Bowie/Gershwin medley?! Yes, please!

by Anonymousreply 73April 9, 2016 4:15 PM

Sister Sledge performs Next Time You'll Know (1981)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2016 4:28 PM

Kathy Sledge: All the Man That I Need

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2016 5:42 PM

Diana Ross / Cher / Dolly Parton / Billie Holliday / Andrews Sisters medley:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2016 5:49 PM

Sister Sledge - Let Him Go (1983)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2016 2:00 PM

OMG. Thanks to this thread, I have not stopped playing the "Love Somebody Today" CD for 2 weeks. It really is brilliant. A masterful Chic production with the most beautiful lead voices Chic ever worked with (sorry, Ross).

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2016 1:40 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2018 11:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!