Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was wrong with Fonzie and Chiachi?

Were they slow? Did they get expelled from school? Were they secret love children of Mrs. C? Were they discriminated against because they were low class Italians and the Cunninghams were middle class wasps?

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2020 1:58 AM

Why do you ask, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2020 5:55 AM

Erin Moran’s 80s perm is honestly the most troubling thing about Happy Days.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2020 6:09 AM

The problem with Fonzie is that he never really knew how to sell a joke and the wocka-wocka bit did nothing to hide the fact.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2020 6:17 AM

Sit on it, Kermie!

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2020 6:24 AM

That awful Fonzie business.

Low point of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2020 6:26 AM

Cunningham sounds more Irish than WASP.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2020 6:27 AM

R3 Not to mention that hat and weird bow around his neck.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2020 6:34 AM

The Fonz was a somebody in a neighborhood that was full of nobodies. He wasn’t like anybody else. I mean, he did whatever he wanted. He double-parked his motorcycle in front of a hydrant and nobody ever gave him a ticket. When he punched the jukebox for free songs or kicked the pinball machine and yelled “AYYY!” nobody ever called the cops.

Today, everything is different. There's no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food at Arnold’s. Right after I got here I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, Al gives me egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook. I really miss my friend, The Fonz.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Chichi,

that was really very very touching & sad. Maybe yous would like to move to Burbank wit me, Lenny, Shirley & Laverne.

Squiggy

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2020 9:35 AM

Poor Chichi. Come on over and I'll teach you to cook.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2020 9:45 AM

According to Wikipedia, Fonzie was abandoned by deadbeat parents and dropped out of high school. He later went to night school for his dipolma. He was an auto mechanic.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2020 10:05 AM

R8 Chachi and Fonzie were cousins

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2020 10:07 AM

R2- It was supposed to be ca. 1960 and Chachi looked like he was ready to go to the DISCO.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2020 10:24 AM

Remember when Fonzie jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2020 10:26 AM

I always thought of both of them as having Down's syndrome, which made Happy Days a lot more moving and complex.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2020 10:29 AM

Harry Hamlin cooks?!

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2020 10:30 AM

Such a stupid show. Was Fonzie their boarder? I remember something about an apartment over the garage. Was that Fonzie’s apartment?

I also remember the father was such a dick.

I’ve never met an Italian/Italian-American names “Charles”. Carlo, yes.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2020 10:56 AM

Because sitcoms are so realistic.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2020 10:57 AM

It was so peculiar that Fonzie business. He was an old man, hanging around with a bunch of kids like a total loser.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2020 10:58 AM

Isn’t it disturbing that Fonzie would spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with the Cunninghams, but brother Chuck never showed up again after the second season.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2020 11:29 AM

Brother Chuck was KIA in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2020 12:05 PM

No, he stiffed a hooker in Downtown Milwaukee & her pimp cut him up so bad, they could only identify the body by his toe prints.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2020 12:24 PM

[quote]Was Fonzie their boarder? I remember something about an apartment over the garage. Was that Fonzie’s apartment?

Yes. He started out as the early 20s high school dropout delinquent, and then they cleaned the character up a bit and made him basically part of the family. Winkler looked older than his age, especially in that pompadour, so they couldn't keep up the delinquent angle for very long and had to do something else to keep him on the show.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2020 2:12 PM

Henry Winkler is 75 now. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2020 5:55 PM

Remember Fonzie would with snap his fingers, and the girl would always arrive. I look at this show now and I think to myself did I really watch this stupid crap and think it was cool. I guess to 11 year old kid it was. I couldn't miss them. And then Laverne & Shirley would come on. Mork and Mindy. Being a kid in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2020 12:30 AM

Pasquale is the Italian for Charles.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2020 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!