Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help me process the meaning of this gay wedding

So, a few guess in from out of town; lovely, semi-formal subtle ceremony at City Hall; photographs in Central Park; a modest reception at a midtown wine bar; a back to the apartment selfie in the elevator with an "I love him so much" caption and then... quick change to spend the rest of the night at a gay bar.

Who does that?

by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2020 5:27 PM

Guest, guests... sorry.... typing without my reading glasses.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2015 12:27 PM

We've made a terrible mistake with gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2015 1:06 PM

No we haven't, r2, I think it's a terrific idea whose time was long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2015 1:30 PM

Sounds cheap, low cost, low stress, low effort. Maybe everyone had a good time, including themselves, and maybe they are busy guys. Sounds like a wedding that 2 straight men would plan if they had to marry each other.

Men are men.

Just sounds like a guys wedding to me.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2015 2:11 PM

I meant to say cheap or low cost, sorry for the repetition.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2015 2:12 PM

Perfect for a couple that's been together for many years already.

I love it!

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2015 2:41 PM

Women, OP.

Women.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2015 3:15 PM

Unfortunately, the scenario OP described could be applied to too many gay couples I know. They have no business getting married, but since they can, they do. After they've exchanges vows and opened the gifts, they resume the separate lives they had before the engagement.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2015 3:32 PM

I like it - the alternative is the over-the-top, start-your-marriage-with-crippling-debt frau wedding. What OP described could easily be the weddings most of our grandparents had (minus the selfie, obvs.). Ceremony, drinking, dancing. What more do you need?

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2015 3:43 PM

Oh, ok. R8 is the one we must ask to make sure we don't "have no business getting married". Then we may proceed with our lives.

What a churl.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2015 3:51 PM

Gay Bed Death even before the wedding. Looking to "spice up" the nuptial bedchamber with a third.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2015 6:25 PM

We wound up at a gay bar after our wedding. The after-party was basically a bar crawl and the 3rd and final stop was a gay bar. I've been to lots of straight weddings that ended the same way (bar crawl). Ours just happened to end at a gay bar because we and many of our friends are gay.

Yes, I know, I type fat, poor, low class, etc.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2015 7:12 PM

Sounds lovely,, actually.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2015 7:37 PM

Were they supposed to have a huge, bridezilla style wedding that cost thousands of dollars to make you happy, OP?

Why spend more than a grand on a wedding if you don't have to?

Spend the money on a trip of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2015 8:16 AM

I've always thought if I ever get married it'll be a low key affair. Registry office with a couple of witnesses and then either home or the pub.Big weddings are for women that want to be a princess for the day. I have no desire to be a princess for a day and I wouldn't marry someone who did.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2015 3:28 PM

To be honest, I'm surprised we havent' seen more Bridezilla Gay Weddings but even queenier men into labels and hoopla and being "fahncy" have seemed to have avoided going down that rabbit hole. Most gay weddings around here (Seattle) are pretty lowkey. Even lesbian weddings are relatively simple. I've only been aware of a couple over the top celebrations and both were from neurotic "look at me!" type fags with money to waste and terrible taste...(an outdoor wedding in Palm Springs at the end of May when it's 110? Really? Maybe that's why they got such great deals....sane people avoid PS from May through October.)

The Bigger Than I Can Afford Wedding seems to be primarily a straight woman's fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2015 7:17 PM

Well I recently met a young lesbian couple in the 'hood who are going to be married next spring and they are doing the whole tradition thing complete with showers, bachelorette parties (2!), the whole ball of suburban chic wax.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2015 8:47 PM

Mazel tov to the happy couple! Nice that they have a fun social life together unlike most marrieds

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2015 8:58 PM

Were they trying to pick other men up at the gay bar?

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2015 8:59 PM

R17 are they both wearing ostentatious wedding gowns?

by Anonymousreply 20September 27, 2015 9:28 PM

Which is more important, the wedding or the marriage?

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2015 9:44 PM

This wedding is brought to you by Truvada.

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2015 9:54 PM

Lol, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23April 25, 2020 5:15 PM

You dug up this shit from five fucking years ago to do a "Lol", R22. What a cunt. You should ask R8 for permission to live.

by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2020 5:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!