Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG I just found out Patty Duke was dubbed in Valley of the Dolls!

You should have told me datalounge!!!! Why! Why! I feel so lost and alone. It is a cruel business isn't it.

Hold me!!

and who dubbed her!!!???

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2020 8:45 PM

Patty was a horrible "singer," check her screeching rendition of Downtown for example. But all her crap sucked, even the Top 10 hit. Patty knew she couldn't sing, her guardians who treated her like a slave, forced her to do it. They stole most of her child star money, and even made her into a household servant when she got home from the set.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2015 3:53 AM

Petulia Clark dubbed Patty Duke's singing.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2015 3:54 AM

R2 is lying!!!! lies!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2015 3:56 AM

OP's collapse is complete!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2015 4:03 AM

Why? Why?

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2015 4:09 AM

It's Impossible!

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2015 4:31 AM

Whoever dubbed Susan Hayward was perfect. It sounded like her speaking voice and also was right for an aging Merman type, past her prime.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2015 6:27 AM

The Patty dubber is good too. She's a good singer and does sound like Patty's speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2015 6:28 AM

[quote]who dubbed her!!!???

Her cousin Cathy.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2015 6:39 AM

this is why

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2015 7:15 AM

Patty's singing voice in VOTD is a blend of her own voice and someone who dubbed her (Gaille Heideman). Hayward was dubbed by Margaret Whiting for the movie and Eileen Wilson for the album.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2015 8:39 AM

Funny recently I was shocked to find out Susan Hayward WASN'T dubbed in I'll Cry Tomorrow...

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2015 8:46 AM

Careful, Mary! You'll spill ALL your Xanax in the toilet if you keep that up.

Patty wasn't a horrible singer, but the little fucker wasn't going to have a hit or get a singing contract out of MY movie.

So I grabbed the producer by his tiny balls and forced him to dub her too - that way, no one could accuse her of being a more talented singer than me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2015 9:10 AM

But Patty had already starred in her own huge hit musical production, "Billie!"

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2015 3:46 PM

Miss Hayward also did her own singing when she starred in Las Vegas at Caesar's in the musical "Mame" starting in December, 1968. Originally signed for one year, she left the production after 4 months (96 performances) when her voice gave out.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2015 3:53 PM

that white huzzy thought she could sing MY song!

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2015 3:53 PM

[quote]Patty knew she couldn't sing, her guardians who treated her like a slave, forced her to do it.

In her autobiography, Patty (or rather, Anna) wrote that she was flattered and fooled by her handlers and others into thinking that she had a great singing voice. She loved to sing and she recorded albums cheerfully and eagerly. She then had the mortifying experience of having well-wishers with no profit motive finally taking her aside and breaking the news that her singing was awful. It was a particularly embittering episode in her young career, because she had really enjoyed doing it, which made it all the worse when she realized how foolish she had been made to look.

I can't believe she recorded even one note of her songs in Valley of the Dolls. She was an awful singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2015 6:03 PM

R17, Patty's rendition of "I'll Plant my Own Tree" is the WORST!

J'adore it!

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2015 5:16 AM

Was Sharon Tate's "bust" real?

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2015 6:05 AM

I have to disagree about Patty Duke singing voice. If you watch her performances on such shows as the Mike Douglas show, the Merv Griffin show, The Ed Sullivan Show, she's clearly sings well. I think on some of the records she doesn't sound that good because of the production.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2015 1:53 AM

Was Valley of the Dolls Patty Duke's Mommie Dearest?

When Oscar-winning actresses overact.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2015 2:00 AM

Sort of R21. See the youtube video where she discusses in in San Fran.

Patty was also severely mentally ill at the time and undiagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2015 2:13 AM

R20 is correct. I agree that those VOTD links above were pretty bad, but other songs she sang were fine. She sounds OK here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2015 2:32 AM

If you're so inclined, Patty Duke recorded an album of all the songs from Valley of the Dolls. I think she was trying to prove that she could actually sing them. The album is pretty grim, sad to say.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2015 2:37 AM

Maybe NO one can make "I'll Plant my Own Tree" sound good.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2015 2:38 AM

Lena Horne's version is pretty snazzy ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2015 4:03 PM

R19

Sharon had great tits and her own were used in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2015 4:43 PM

Because Gaille Heidemann sings like a bird. Patty Duke sounds like a frog!

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2015 4:59 PM

Thanks R23

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2015 3:59 PM

Lena Horny was a great singer, to have made "I'll Plant My Own Tree" even listenable.

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2015 5:23 PM

[quote]Lena Horny

OMFG!

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2015 5:46 PM

Patty Duke is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2015 6:02 PM

I thought OP meant her speaking voice was dubbed, too, and I about had an infarction.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2015 6:32 PM

R30 her voice is titillating.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2020 6:15 PM

I heard Patty sing in Oklahoma on Broadway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2020 6:30 PM

Wait until OP finds out they're all just lip synching to prerecorded tracks.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2020 6:49 PM

en.wikipedia.org Gail Heiderman For those interested, Gail Heiderman dubbed the vocals for Patty Duke in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Her vocals are on the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack as well. Margaret Whiting dubbed the vocals for Susan Hayward for the "I'll Plant My Own Tree" number.

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote]Margaret Whiting dubbed the vocals for Susan Hayward for the "I'll Plant My Own Tree" number.

Margaret Whiting dubbed Susan Hayward in the film, but she was under contract to a different label, so veteran voice double Eileen Wilson sings "I'll Plant My Own Tree" on the soundtrack album)

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2020 8:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!