Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Converting to Catholicism

My boyfriend has long been bugging me to convert. I was raised Episcopalian which he says is "Catholic light" and I might as well go for the real thing. Previously I have always hesitated, but now inspired by the visit of Pope Francis who is obviously a wonderful human being and I truly believe loves everyone including gay people. I know the "official" Catholic position is that homosexual acts are a sin, but when I go to confession, it will be forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2020 11:32 PM

No, just no. Stay with the light version. Practicing catholics, who take their church seriously won't like you.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2015 1:05 AM

As an Atheist, I say go for it OP. If it makes you happy then go for it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2015 1:12 AM

(Virgin) Mary!

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2015 1:13 AM

Why would you convert to a religion that hates you and your boyfriend and says that God condemns you? Why should you have to "confess" something that isn't a sin?

Pope Francis is great but he's no reason for any self-respecting gay man to convert to Catholicism. Stick with the Episcopalians. It's the same sacraments and you can get married in your church.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2015 1:20 AM

No OP it will not be forgiven if you continue to be a practicing homosexual. You have to show true remorse and stop whatever the church believes is a sin for it to be forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2015 1:21 AM

Who's your boyfriend? Cardinal Sin?

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2015 1:22 AM

Tiresome

0/10

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2015 1:24 AM

[quote]homosexual acts are a sin, but when I go to confession, it will be forgiven.

That's right.... do whatever you want as long as you eventually confess.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2015 1:36 AM

R8 - Couldn't have said it better myself.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2015 1:39 AM

OP is a troll. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2015 3:05 AM

[quote]Pope Francis is great

Based on what? Saying that gay marriage leads to the ruination of society? Really? Do you know the crap that has come out of this man's mouth in the past?

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2015 3:06 AM

Odd fact - there was a short period when Episcopal priests could convert to Catholic - and if they were married (as the Episcopal church does allow them to be), remain married and be full Catholic priests, not just deacons. This didn't last long, though, due to protests from other Catholic priests who had to take a vow of celibacy. I think there are around 6 Catholic priests in the U.S. that are actually married to women. 60 Minutes did a story on it.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2015 3:18 AM

0/0 horrible OP

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2015 5:14 AM

r6 He's dead, Jim.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2015 9:03 AM

I say convert, OP. While you're at it, see if you can't convert to Islam on the sly as well—they do better deals on self-abnegation and -denial.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2015 9:21 AM

OP, excuse me for saying, but you and your boyfriend seem rather dim witted.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2015 9:22 AM

Homosexual acts?

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2015 11:02 AM

Protestantism is pointless---it's taken most mainline supposedly liberal churches forever to evolve on gay issues (Episcopalians being among the most craven and tortured of the lot). Prots either don't believe in much of anything or believe in stuff that's truly batshit crazy, and like any bunch of establishment lovers, they hate it when you point out the obvious.. If you're going to go all in on something as ridiculous as virgin birth, guilt over nothing, original sin, unseen qualities like "grace", etc., then go with the traditional model--be a mackeral snapper or better yet try something with more incense and ritual, like Eastern Orthodox, or one of the odd Eastern Rite Catholic Churches (they have married clergy, more incense and longer holidays at Christmas). People will think you're a reactionary but so what, it's fundamentally no less backward than being Episcopalian, although you lose that upper class sheen, along with the lower guilt factor.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2015 11:35 AM

Episcopalianism is RC without the massive hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2015 11:43 AM

As long as you understand that there is no 'god' and no afterlife, I say go for it .

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2015 11:44 AM

One idiotic fictional sky fairy is as good as another.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2015 12:29 PM

If you want and inspirational, Christian leader then look to Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Anglican/Episcopalian and accepting of everybody. Stay where you are OP. Francis is a lovely man but he is getting older and is not the whole church.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2015 2:25 PM

Before you decide whether or not you wish to convert, take a look at your boyfriend's disrespectful and offensive attitude toward your Episcopalian faith right now. If anyone wishes to practice a particular Christian faith, I'd expect that person to be kind and supportive. Making fun of the Episcopalian faith as "Catholic light" is immature, don't you think? If you did join, would he hope you would join him in ridiculing others faiths, too? If there's anything to consider here it's whether the Catholic faith your boyfriend practices inspires him to be a kinder and better person.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2015 2:54 PM

They won't let you in if your are gay and in a relationship. Are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2015 3:02 PM

knowing both churches, OP, I'll tell you this.

Anglicans - more progressive, better music, less guilt

Catholics - repression, shitty music, communion, and guilt.

smart people don't become catholics, OP

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2015 3:03 PM

Gay Catholics deserve to be shot in the face...just so they can see who WON'T show up to read their last rites.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2015 3:39 PM

Magical thinking dooms all.

Religious people have a very high divorce rate, because they lack the maturity to maintain a healthy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2015 3:58 PM

OP's stilted language reminds me of one of those bloggers Putin pays to foment discord on American websites. I don't know about 'converting' but if going to another Christian faith, do you have to do anything other than enter a different building on Sunday morning? It's not like switching doctors, no records are exchanged and I can't imagine a church asking to see your credentials. Converting to Judaism or Islam are actual conversions and, atleast for males, would involve circumsision in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2015 3:59 PM

Just fucking stop with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2015 4:10 PM

I feel really, really sorry for religious people.

Such silly, backwards, superstitious nonsense.

Clinging to a ridiculous fairytale because you're afraid of death and are comforted by the idea of a Sky Daddy you can talk to.

So very sad.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2015 4:17 PM

The Catholics are still dealing with Benny's statement that homosexuality is a tendency toward evil while the Episcies have openly gay priests and bishops and gay marriage. You will be in a culture that subtly teaches you to hate yourself or if a progressive parish always either fighting for minimal acceptance from the larger church or ndwaiting for the bishop to send over a conservative priest. And the way they treat women is appalling. Ultimately unless you accept the whole ball of wax, OP, they will make you feel like "not a real Catholic." Anglicanism is not Catholic light, it's is its own rich tradition. Tell your boyfriend to compromise and attend a gay friendly Anglo-Catholic Episcopal parish with you.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2015 4:29 PM

The Episcopal church consecrates gay bishops. They also named MLK a saint. Stick with your home church.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2015 4:31 PM

And please OP, the Episcopal Church is more, well, WASPY.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2015 4:35 PM

R33. Bunny McDoogal.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2015 4:42 PM

R34, Well at least not a drunk Irish.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Funny, I just went Episcopal after falling in love again. My partner was also a cradle RC that had gone Episcopalian, but was going to mass just to suit me. He asked if we could please start going to Grace Cathedral (we're in SF) because he just felt he couldn't fully participate in parish life and was one bad interaction with a conservative away from a massive upset. I had reservations on giving up on the Catholic Church, as it is a strong component of my family culture, but I chose to give it a go because I love my partner tremendously.

Man, was it the right thing to do. The liturgy is tighter than most Catholic masses (Communion kneeling at the rail!), the priests are amazing and actually challenge the congregation intellectually instead of spoon-feeding messages. The last two sermons mentioned Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Milton and F. Scott Fitzgerald – references like that have NEVER happened in the many, many, many RC sermons I've heard. I don't think I've ever felt so "light" and free about my spirituality in my life, and I wish I would have made the switch earlier.

I do think the RC church will liberalize, but it is not structurally set up to do so. I don't expect it in my lifetime, or a few others. To have the weight of all structural baggage lifted, and feeling free to fully participate without fear of judgement, has caused a spiritual renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2015 4:52 PM

Catholics were taken over by a violent neo-Nazi right wing cabal in the seventies that actually had a number of liberal figures murdered. If the place is liberalizing now, it will be a slow process, since Wojtyla and Ratzinger appointed ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2015 5:04 PM

Love watching those fit twenty-something singing seminarians, twinky teen alter boys and sexy daddy priests. The feeling of desire, guilt, repression, tradition, hypocrisy, tight black shirts and white flowing robes. Forgive me father for i have sinned. I've been a bad boy thinking nasty thoughts. It's been ten years since my last confession.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2015 5:24 PM

I with these trolls would put a little more effort into their stories.

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2015 5:40 PM

OP, I went to confession and told the RC priest that I wasn't confessing my homosex, and was forgiven anyway. The Church is in reality more welcoming than it is officially.

As for your conversion, the difference is purely a [italic]cultural[/italic] matter. There is no God but God. Both Churches worship the same God. Go wherever you feel you fit in best. Don't forget your family, they count too.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2015 5:59 PM

As much forgiveness as individual clergy may offer, you'd still have to dodge and weave with parish activities in the RC church. Your participation will be hindered. Period.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2015 6:01 PM

Religious people make me smile. So easy to control and manipulate.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2015 6:02 PM

Religious people make me smile. They surprise me constantly at their shattering my personal stereotypes through their non-stereotypical approaches to faith, they give me relief from backbiting in the workplace and gay social scene, and I don't feel like I have to get ahead with my looks, my money or my social status.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2015 6:05 PM

I've never met religious people like that R43. I'm thinking "This Never Happened."

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2015 10:24 PM

Unitarian is much more gay-friendly and supportive.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2015 10:52 PM

Honey, you sound sufficiently sweet and naïve to be a great convert. One of us.(chanting). One of us. OR, you could get.a.clue.

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2015 11:01 PM

R5 is correct. The Catholic Church's position is, it's okay to be a homosexual; it is NOT okay to be practicing. (!?!?!?!?!?!?)

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2015 11:02 PM

as a recovered Catholic I strongly do NOT recommend conversion. The dogma will make you run away fast.

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2015 11:05 PM

Re R30: And I feel sorry for atheists during: Foxhole. Cancer diagnosis. Gun to head. Plane, descending VERY rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2015 11:06 PM

R47,.it's worse. Benedict XVI said that homosexuality itself was a tendency toward intricate evil. That's not exactly doctrine but it has not been walked back by the "cool pope. " That's the type of cooments and others like it, OP will have to endure from the "good Catholics" he will be surrounded by. So unless he just happens to buy all the other doctrines (Bodily Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Papal Infallibility, transumptanciation of the host,.etc.) and needs to convert for that readon6, he should just stay where he is.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2015 11:18 PM

*reason. And Bennie is the queeniest thing going. OP has to put up with that type of hypocrisy too.

by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2015 11:21 PM

While you are at it why not join the Family Research Council, National Organization for Marriage, Westbro Baptist Church and Liberty University.

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2015 2:39 AM

Converting to Catholicism saved my life.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2015 2:44 AM

OP must have missed the 6 straight couples chosen to have their upcoming marriages blessed by the Pope on national television tonight. They were allowed to address the Pope regarding a happy union and life together. The first couple stated their strong concern for the sanctity of marriage due to gay marriage rights.

The Pope is simply good PR for a dying religion with a horrific record and past.

Sure, go for it and fall for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2015 3:31 AM

*slap* Snap out of it. *slap*

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2015 3:40 AM

There is nothing more ignorant than calling Episcopal "catholic light."

by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2015 3:42 AM

OP, your boyfriend is a self-righteous asswipe, ready to lick the Pope's ass even though the Pope - very sweetly - thinks you are both f*gs. Catholics love to think they have the last word, almost as much as Evangelical Loopie Fundies like Kim Davis think they have the last word.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2015 3:50 AM

The pope eats his own boogers OP. In front of gawd and everyone. You don't want to join a club with a booger eating leader.

by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2015 3:54 AM

Well, I've fucked around with both a catholic priest and and an Episcopalian priest (not at the same time). The catholic priest gave better head but the Episcopalian priest was much better taking it up the ass. I hope these facts help you make your decision.

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2015 4:10 AM

R49 People can only successfully overcome/deal with extremely stressful situations if they believe in paranormal entities? Somehow I doubt this.

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2015 4:21 AM

The Catholic church isn't a healthy place for LGBT people.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2015 4:49 AM

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a lapsed Catholic, a prolapsed Catholic, an elapsed Catholic, and a Pabst Catholic?

For one it's okay to be queer, second one has slippage to fear, the third's expired (or his end is near) and the fourth should pray for less shitty beer.

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2015 5:06 AM

The local Catholic Church may accept you, but most of the congregation won't. I can almost guarantee that. I know of a Catholic Church that asks for your annual income and bills your tithe according to a pre-planned percentage. Do all Catholic chuches do this now? This was a wealthy congregation.

by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2015 9:58 AM

R28 - Yeah, it isn't as intense as other religions conversions but you have to attend classes and have your first communion before you can be Catholic and actually partake in Eucharist at mass. I remember having to do it as a kid, and my mother doing it as an adult because she was Anglican and dad's family were a big Irish catholic family. I'm an atheist now though, despite going to 12 years of Catholic school.

by Anonymousreply 64September 27, 2015 11:29 AM

Remain an Episcopalian. You have to deal with only one sin, The Sin Of Poor Taste.

by Anonymousreply 65September 27, 2015 11:41 AM

So much ignorance on this thread. I'm hoping it's intentional, but I don't think it is.

by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2015 1:13 PM

Here's the cold hard truth becoming a catholic is a lengthy process. It doesn't matter if you're converting from another christian domination or not, because the Catholic Church views itself as the 'one true faith' and you'll have undergo the RCIA (The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) which can take two years and you'll have to be baptized even if you were baptized in an Episcopalian church. Ironically if you're converting from Catholicism to the Episcopalian church, there is no conversion process if you were baptized in a christian denomination, you're automatically entitled to full communication with the Episcopalian church.

Here's the major stumbling block for you OP, you will not be allowed to convert to Catholicism if you continue to be a 'practicing homosexual.' You'll have to end your 'disordered relationship' with your boyfriend, and agree to remain celibate in order to convert. You cannot covert ifyou're having gay sex, nor technically is your catholic boyfriend even entitled to communion unless he too confesses his sin of homosexual sex and remains celibate.

If you're going to remain a practicing christian, tell your boyfriend to convert not you!

by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2015 4:07 PM

R65 wins. The Episcopalians all the way baby.

by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2015 4:17 PM

r49, I've had cancer twice, and neither time did I suddenly develop a belief in god.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2015 4:37 PM

There are no atheists is foxholes, R69. Your time will come.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2015 4:44 PM

It's sad what the Christians have done to our spirituality. THAT is the true disorder, and it shows up all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 71September 27, 2015 9:45 PM

r71, whom do you classify as "Christian"? That's just so broad.

by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2015 10:22 PM

R67? You're paranoid beyond belief. RCIA is 9 months long. If you've already been baptized, you never have to be baptized again. No one asks you for your gay card when you go there -- you can be over the top obviously gay, but if you never talk about it, no one's going to ask you. Even if you're straight, you're not supposed to be fucking -- much less living with -- your fiance, but, since many conversions are due to someone's parents wanting a Catholic wedding, they turn a blind eye. In fact, my priest knew I was gay when I converted -- and I always used to bring my dates to Mass with me, even if they weren't Catholic. I figured that would separate the sheep from the goats.

Some of you really need to get up to date with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 73September 27, 2015 11:00 PM

R49/R70...

You're only proving our point, which is that people don't actually believe any of this nonsense. They just cling to it out of a fear of death. They were raised having some fantasy of a Sky Daddy and an eternal paradise crammed into their heads, and never learned to deal with mortality in an adult, rational way.

Pretending to believe in something because you're afraid of death and need it to be true does not lend any credence to it.

Now back to your sewing circle.

by Anonymousreply 74September 27, 2015 11:13 PM

R70 = Rebecca Femm

by Anonymousreply 75September 27, 2015 11:34 PM

R74 is as bad as the fundies, thinking all religious believe like some sort of literal fairy tale. If only it were that simple....

by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2015 12:02 AM

R65 -Clearly you weren't brought up Episcopalian.

by Anonymousreply 77September 29, 2015 3:50 AM

Go for it, OP. Just look what it did for Newt Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 78September 29, 2015 3:58 AM

Unless you're in Africa where the faith is growing, I don't see why you would. Catholic mass is only attended by the 65+ crowd.

Join a non-denominational.

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2020 10:45 PM

You know OP, God doesn't give 2 shits about you. So either become an atheist or a Satanist!

by Anonymousreply 80September 25, 2020 10:47 PM

R79, the 2015 thread troll, is worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2020 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!