Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends...Alec Baldwin sells $2.1 million condo in downtown Manhattan

Not many pics of it but enough to get an idea. What do we think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 3:20 PM

"Alec Baldwin Dumps One of Three Condos at Devonshire House in New York City"

Therefore not somewhere he actually lived, which is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2015 5:25 PM

The living room looks like a waiting room.

I can't believe that costs $2.1 million...

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2015 5:26 PM

Location, location.

In my old building n the UES, this would be about $950k.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2015 5:36 PM

A shitty one bedroom is 2.1 million? I smell a housing bubble about to burst. Again.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2015 6:57 PM

I used to live on that block. $2.1 million. Oy. Beautiful building, though. Lovely neighborhood, University Place.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2015 7:00 PM

It's cute, but worth less than half the price.

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2015 7:02 PM

[quote] Lovely neighborhood, University Place.

Lovely? University Place?

Not really.

When you've got Central Park at the end of the street, it's lovely. Not this.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2015 7:39 PM

I lived there. I loved it. Wouldn't have wanted to live on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2015 9:16 PM

R7 not for everyone. I prefer downton to uptown. Many people do.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2015 9:51 PM

There's not even a washer/dryer! $2Mill and you're still hauling your stuff to the laundromat?

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2015 2:29 AM

I am sure someone living there has delivery/pickup of drying cleaning and wash R10.

And this location on University is perfect. I would set up a very tasteful private glroyhole right in that hallway separating the living room from the bedroom and suck off all that delicious NYU Stern and Tisch cock. Such delicious young meat. All those wannabe young actors and artist just horny to get off, but still needing to remain anonymous. Perfect storm in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2015 3:36 AM

His place looks like all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2015 3:41 AM

How many homes does he have in NYC? That place isn't big enough for his wife and child---given that he's a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2015 5:18 PM

[quote]How many homes does he have in NYC? That place isn't big enough for his wife and child---given that he's a celebrity.

Apparently this is just part of his portfolio. He never lived there.

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2015 5:23 PM

Maybe he goes there to get away from his psychobitch family.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2015 5:29 PM

His wife insisted they move to El Barrio so she could be closer to her roots.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2021 12:29 AM

I WANT that wall unit near the television in the OP photo.

Anybody have an idea where I could find one?

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2021 12:36 AM

Is there a room for thoughtless little pigs?

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2021 12:41 AM

R4 the bubble will burst on the coasts, flyover will be fine

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2021 12:42 AM

"Central laundry room" would be a deal-breaker for me (oh, and the price...).

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2021 12:52 AM

Looks nice. I could live there. I would get rid of the chandelier in the bathroom. That's tacky.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2021 12:53 AM

Alec is kicking himself for the sale. He could have moved into it while extricating himself from The Spanish Princess.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2021 2:37 AM

Nicely staged. I've had hotel suites which were larger.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2021 3:48 AM

I like the embedded shower curtain rail and the fact there’s a functioning window in the shitter.

The coat closet would be perfect for people who enjoy slamming doors.

I’ve decided I love low ceilings.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2021 4:01 AM

Does this mean the fallout from Hilariagate has compromised their finances and they need money so they are selling property? Will they sell the so called nonprofit horse farm next?

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2021 4:13 AM

You just know he blasts that stereo and screams at anyone who dares knock on his door to complain.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2021 4:17 AM

Looks like a perfect apartment for stashing a second- or third-tier mistress.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2021 4:36 AM

Looks like all the 1-BR condos in DC.

As in... not luxurious.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2021 4:38 AM

To clarify, not your primary mistress, but the one you see when your primary has a cold or something. The woman in this apartment is pretty enough and nice enough but she doesn't set hearts aflutter, and she doesn't do anal. She'll transition out of sugar baby status and become a dental hygienist within 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2021 4:38 AM

One Fifth has much nicer apartments.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2021 4:43 AM

Yes, am going to say it: Devonshire House is one of our very best buildings in Greenwich Village. It was back in the day and has become more so as West Village, Greenwich Village and downtown (Manhattan south of 23rd or 14th street) has become the new gold cost rivaling UES.

An Emery Roth building, 28 East 10th street ticks all the right boxes starting with location.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2021 4:45 AM

Some of those cunts have air units, R31. Did anyone tell them air conditioners are seasonal? They’re nothing but rich hillbillies who leave Christmas decorations up all year.

If I lived there, I’d have enough money to pay little Korean women to smack offending parties with sticks.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2021 4:55 AM

Many residents of apartment houses both renters and co-op or condo leave window AC units in all year round. You can walk all over UES, UWS and so forth including on Central Park West, Fifth Avenue, Madison and Park Avenue to see evidence of this phenomenon.

Leaving aside issue of installing and removing those huge and heavy window units there is issue of where to store a score or more of the things off season.

Storage space both in units and elsewhere in NYC multifamily housing is always in tight supply. Those fortunate enough with access to storage space in building (usually down in basements) usually have more pressing things they want keeping down there. No one is going to be loading those air conditioners in their cars and take them out to their country property either.

There are (or were) services that will take air conditioners out of windows, professionally clean, store for off season,then return and install again, but that doesn't come cheap.

If talking about a small unit, something under 8k btu, that might be more easily managed. But anything in the 10k or larger is just another story.

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2021 5:15 AM

The best thing about leaving NYC is learning that central air exists. Even when I sometimes miss NYC, I remind myself of the non-existent central air and snap myself out of that real quick.

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2021 5:17 AM

[quote]To clarify, not your primary mistress, but the one you see when your primary has a cold or something. The woman in this apartment is pretty enough and nice enough but she doesn't set hearts aflutter, and she doesn't do anal. She'll transition out of sugar baby status and become a dental hygienist within 3 years.

Lmao. I see you've put a lot of thought into this.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2021 5:23 AM

One Fifth Avenue is indeed a gorgeous building. *Think* DL fave Andrew Kirtzman and his husband live there, at least recall always seeing him about.

My favorite blog about Manhattan buildings has covered One Fifth Avenue, well at least the mansion that once stood on property.

As noted in another thread area around Washington Square Park once was the "UES" or upscale are of Manhattan. One Fifth Avenue is just several blocks up from WSP, while Devonshire House is that plus being one avenue over on Sixth.

To those who've never been area north of 8th Street to 13th Street bounded by Sixth Avenue on west and over to University Place or Broadway to west is a very lovely area. Tons of old mansions/town houses and pre-war apartment buildings. Sadly over years New York University has gobbled up more and more of that part of Greenwich Village making area seem like one giant NYU college campus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2021 5:24 AM

R34

Miss Girl get a grip. Some units in Devonshire House have central AC, others do not. As a condo building likely owners of a unit or units installed system at some point during major renovation work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2021 5:32 AM

Devonshire House went condo back in 2007/2008. Prior to this building was a rental and given age likely still contained a number of rent regulated tenants. They couldn't be touched and if chose to remain as renters their apartments were not renovated which includes central AC.

Rest of building got central AC as part of major renovations that turned building from rental to condo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2021 5:36 AM

Enya made an album called "Condo"?

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2021 9:06 AM

If anyone wants a good read (and laugh) look at comments from 28 East 10th from when building was converted and condo sales began. Most of the posters would fit right in with DL; bunch of NYC (maybe not all) real estate queens and fraus ragging on a building they don't live in, and for most part couldn't afford to purchase into either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2021 9:52 AM

This is a bad time to see the NYC RE market is in the dumps, He must need the money.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2021 11:53 AM

Alec's base in NYC has been this building Devonshire House since about 2012. He lives in the penthouse and at one time had 3 or 4 apartments in it.

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2021 12:31 PM

Not uncommon in NYC, not at all...

Jimmy Fallon bought five (5) apartments in same Gramercy Park building for instance.

People do that sort of thing for various reasons. Perhaps intending to combine units creating one larger apartment. Or maybe will use other apartment or apartments for older children (think teens), or perhaps staff quarters....

Then you have situations have seen even in rental buildings where a couple has two apartments in same building; one is where they live, other is for sleeping or whatever. This happens when two people in same building meet then marry or otherwise form a household. NYC real estate being what it is space is often at a premium. If people cannot afford or find one large apartment they just keep the two in same building.... This is quite common when units in question are rent regulated at below market rates. And before anyone starts, no; it isn't required that a married person leave their rent regulated apartment and move in with spouse. Only qualification is that a rent regulated unit must be primary residence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2021 12:45 PM

R41

Who told you NYC real estate market was in the "dumps"? It is not universally true, not any more at least.

New building at 80th and Second is selling out very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2021 12:48 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2021 12:49 PM

As I said... O. V. E. R.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 1:59 PM

The thread is six years old, R41.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2021 2:01 PM

This is definitely not his primary residence. Much too small. Probably the nanny’s place.

Devonshire House has a nice lobby and exterior but the apartments were never that great. Strangely low ceilings - I think they were going for that cozy historic feeling. Compared to the Bing & Bing buildings in the West Village, Devonshire is second tier. The renovation created big units in terms of square footage but the buildings limitations - ceiling height and views - remain. While 10th street is prime, that area is definitely NYU central. But still nice. Personally, I prefer the West Village to Greenwich Village.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2021 2:25 PM

Ohhh! Bing & Bing! Now you've said something!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2021 3:09 PM

Just a few blocks away from Devonshire House, 45 Christopher Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 3:11 PM

More....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 3:12 PM

Bing & Bing sold off their apartment house inventory of properties back in 1980's. This was a time of major co-op conversions in NYC with many rental buildings going cooperative.

Owners of properties be they long time or recently purchased saw going co-op as a way to unlock value in these older buildings, especially pre-war. Thanks to rent regulation laws in NYS/NYC many of these buildings were full of rent stabilized or rent controlled tenants (just like in the Devonshire), and LL's saw no other way out of that system. They couldn't get rid of regulated tenants (though many tried by various methods), so taking building co-op was next best thing.

Many who bought back in 1980's have seen their investment more than double as NYC housing market boomed over past few decades. Many by now are in their 50's or older and often have sold or are considering so they can take some of that money off table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 3:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!