Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That mold smell

Well, people: Fall is inching in, bit by bit and we know you have clothes in your closets that you are just itching to wear. Do everyone a BIG favor and either wash stuff, air it out, or have it cleaned. The smell of moldy clothes being worn by people in tight public spaces (shows, concerts, etc) is truly gross. Right up there with that telltale smell of not having washing your butt adequately. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2020 12:35 AM

.. .'having washed'. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2015 3:27 PM

I've never smelled "not washing your butt adequately" on anyone. Wouldn't have thought it was a trend.

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2015 3:42 PM

This never was an issue when people were able to smoke everywhere. Now with the smoke free air people smell when someone uses too much cologne, didn' t shower, or wears moldy clothes.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2015 3:45 PM

Can clothes be moldy if you don't smell the mold? This is the first time I've heard of this.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2015 3:47 PM

OP is nothing but a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2015 3:57 PM

Can someone give advice on how to handle this? My clothes smell musty because my apartment doesn't get a lot of fresh air. I've tried putting an odor eater in the closet, but my clothes end up smelling like musty oranges. How do you handle musty closet?

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2015 3:59 PM

Get damp rid

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2015 4:00 PM

Fabreeze

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2015 4:01 PM

R5, If you rode the NYC 4 train everyday, you'd appreciate the OP. UGH.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2015 4:02 PM

what i hate is the smell of real cheap laundry detergent (arm & hammer). my friend insists on using it and it really stinks.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2015 4:09 PM

I hate the cloyingly sweet scent of nearly all detergents and fabric softeners.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2015 4:13 PM

i use watkins powder laundry detergent (powder) and i love it's scent. it's clean and not overpowering.

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2015 4:15 PM

90% of what you smell around someone else is their breath.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2015 4:20 PM

Fabreeze does work wonders.

I went to Europe a few years back but only took a few clothes. They smoke like chimneys there. Every night, after being out, I'd return to the hotel reeking of smoke. one good dousing with Fabreeze and everything smelled like new again.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2015 4:23 PM

Damp Rid

Get it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2015 4:34 PM

It's a musty-moldy, very un-fresh smell. Like clothes have been tightly packed in a closet and possibly hung up without being washed beforehand. It smells like body grease, sweat, cooking fumes and sometimes *burnt rubber*. It seems to be everywhere these days. I wonder if weather-proofing and excessive insulation just trap all the moisture and fumes inside. Yes, when people smoked in public, all you could smell was smoke. I almost prefer it to this drear, depressing I-live-in-a-dank-cave smell people carry around.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2015 6:52 PM

Another vote for Febreze

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2015 7:02 PM

Damp-Rid is great. But to deal with the clothes that are already musty, get a steamer and give them a once-over. Kills bacteria and funk and freshens them right up. You can get a good steamer on Amazon for $30.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2015 7:27 PM

I wonder if the mold is partly because of too many things being crowded into closets and drawers.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2015 7:38 PM

Today's episode of "That Mold Smell" was hosted by fussy Queens EVERY WHERE!!!!

*P.S. We (us po' folk) use Arm & Hammer because it's cheap and it works. We can't afford to buy $15 bottles of Mrs. Meyers at WholeFoods.

Also: tell your friend to buy unscented A&H.

The whole place I ever encounter "wash yo' dirty ass" smell is at seedier gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2015 7:47 PM

A catless friend keeps a shoebox of Arm and Hammer cat litter in a back corner of her closet. She says it works better than anything else. A&H makes some super scent-killing litters.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2015 8:12 PM

Washing and getting your clothes laundered is solving half the problem. Get a real dehumidifier and use it. If your closet door is in the same room as your bathroom door, the closet should be closed until the moist air can dissipate after your shower.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2015 8:56 PM

If you had lined your closets in cedar, you wouldn't have this problem.

Or, make your staff wear your clothing for a few hours per day in the off-season while they break in your shoes.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2015 9:01 PM

IDK if it's mold, but yeah, I think a lot of people in NY don't have access to washers/$$for dry cleaning, and yes, they STINK...It's a peppery, not-washed smell... I THINK it's their clothes! (Hope so!)

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2015 9:23 PM

whats that awful stink? oh. it's you.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2015 11:11 PM

Fill your washer just full enough to cover the clothes then pour in 1to 2 gallons of vinegar and run the washer a minute to get the vinegar well into the clothes. Let them soak at least a hour. Then fill the washer and run the whole wash/rinse cycle through with only the vinegar. Wash the clothes a second time with your regular laundry soap and use some fabric softener in the rinse cycle. I have also used pine-sol in the vinegar wash's rinse cycle when the clothes were really smelly. It there are moldy spots on the clothes try pouring in a couple of cups of kosher or coarse salt when you run the vinegar wash through.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2015 1:15 AM

OP, you must hang out with some stanky people.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2015 1:20 AM

The front butt?

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2015 1:27 AM

Scientific studies indicate early signs of stroke may include smelling grease, sweat, cooking fumes and sometimes *burnt rubber*.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2015 1:30 AM

New season, new clothes.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2015 1:33 AM

You can't do that in an apartment house laundry room or a laundromat washing machine, R26. Nobody can soak their clothes for an hour before washing them. You'd be killed by everyone else waiting to use the machine.

BTW, I use Borax along with detergent when I wash my teenage son's stanky clothes. Works.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2015 1:35 AM

[quote] i love it's scent

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2015 1:35 AM

Half cup of ammonia works wonders in laundry.

It also helps to let laundry soap dissolve before loading clothes.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2015 1:36 AM

You can always soak them in a sink before you take them to the laundromat R31. I have used a 5 gallon bucket too. The good thing about using vinegar is that it does not harm clothes and really targets mold.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2015 1:44 AM

It's not me, I swear!

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2015 2:00 AM

[quote]Right up there with that telltale smell of not having washing your butt adequately.

People can tell that?

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2020 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!