Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My secret shame: I love shabby chic and chintz.

I visit my friends' homes and admire their industrial decors, woodsy reclaimed cabins, their monochromatic urban apartments. I even admire their painfully arranged, artsy global eclectic aesthetics or their zen temple looking lofts. Then, there's the couple who looks like they live in a Pottery Barn.

But my secret yearning is chintz. I want a Grandma house. I watch old, British sitcoms and long for the tea nooks and knit cozies. I want souvenir spoon sets and floppy pillows. I want toile. What's wrong with me? What do you suggest I do about this fixation? Do you have any suggestions for interior design?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]Do you have any suggestions for interior design?

Why? It sounds like you know exactly what you like.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2015 1:29 PM

[quote] I watch old, British sitcoms

Which ones?

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2015 1:30 PM

Love shabby chic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2015 1:32 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2015 1:37 PM

R2 All of them. Pretty much anything that comes on PBS and I've been hooked for years. "Keeping up Appearances", "Last of The Summer Wine" "Are You Being Served?", I have "To The Manor Born" and "Only Fools and Horses" boxsets and I used to love "The Vicar of Dibley" when it was on. If anyone were trying to gauge the viewing demographic, they'd assume I was a 70 year old woman.

This pretty much my ideal bedroom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2015 1:38 PM

R4 Love that!

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2015 1:39 PM

I hate flowers on everything that isn't a vase. Or a garden.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2015 1:39 PM

R5 Can't believe I forgot "As Time Goes By"!

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2015 1:41 PM

Well if you live in the USA and not humid Britain or Florida, may you get your wish and develop a violent allergy to dust!

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2015 1:43 PM

If you were in the throes of passion, you tumble into the bedroom and there's this chenille bedspread on the bed, what would you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2015 1:44 PM

Open up yourself a B&B and be happy.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2015 1:45 PM

King of Chintz Mario Buatta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2015 1:47 PM

I used to have a fuck buddy who was relatively masculine policeman. He had a four poster bed with billowing net curtains around it.

Also, my aunt has doilies on every single surface.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2015 1:47 PM

R11 read my mind. There are plenty of women of a certain age who flock to Laura Ashley outposts.

If you could provide costuming, you'd have tons sweating all over the chintz.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2015 1:49 PM

R9 I live in CT, which pretty much looks like this, most of the time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2015 1:51 PM

R14 That advice was as useful as tits on a bull. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2015 1:52 PM

R13 Thankfully, I haven't fallen to doilies yet but I'd like to meet that policeman. Was it netting or crochet? How would you describe it?

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2015 1:53 PM

Speaking of "The French Lieutenant's Woman" , isn't it sad that my first thought during this scene was "Jeremy Irons is hot when he's playing hot and bothered" but it was quickly superseded by "I love that wallpaper!"

Maybe I should lean towards that; late 70's, early 80's Georgian revival. It's not too girly-femme. I like rust colors on creams, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2015 2:01 PM

I like shabby and rustic. I like chic. I don't like when they are mixed together, as it's a very very very VERY dated look. If you like your chintz and patterns and comfy stuff, just go all out and don't mix it with shabby. If you want to live with beat up old surfaces, have at it. I find the latter look very calming. Like sleeping in a barn or a cabin. No chic mixed in required.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2015 2:05 PM

Any time, Toots. Just be glad I didn't suggest marrying Kirstie. Outside of a spiral ham and cocaine, there's nothing she loves more than shabby chic.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2015 2:06 PM

R20 Love her, so maybe I could make it work. I suppose I could marry her as a cover for my love of shabby chic. No one will ever know the truth.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2015 2:20 PM

I swear my grandmother had that wallpaper seen at R18. It looks like the exact pattern.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2015 2:21 PM

OP, it is Bouquet.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2015 2:45 PM

The UK troll has done his daily thread. Now he can move his bowels.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2015 2:49 PM

[quote] If anyone were trying to gauge the viewing demographic, they'd assume I was a 70 year old woman.

When IRL, you are only a 62 year old woman.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2015 2:51 PM

R17 it was netting, not crochet. Like this sort of thing but with an old world wooden bed rather than metal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2015 3:05 PM

OP, please tell us all about antimacassars. I've never understood what this is about. They just come off become detritus and litter.

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2015 3:12 PM

OP, I recently met with a designer and told him of my dream of having at least one room which looked like an authentic British cottage in the Cotswolds. He declined the job.

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2015 4:33 PM

You should have eased him in ala Aaron Schock "Downton Abbey, but not depressing".

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2015 4:38 PM

R27, not OP but it's my understanding antimacassars came into being when men styled their hair with oil. Antimacassars protected upholstery from absorbing the oil. Initially they probably weren't decorative, but that changed over time.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2015 4:40 PM

[quote][R2] All of them. Pretty much anything that comes on PBS and I've been hooked for years. "Keeping up Appearances", "Last of The Summer Wine" "Are You Being Served?", I have "To The Manor Born" and "Only Fools and Horses" boxsets and I used to love "The Vicar of Dibley" when it was on. If anyone were trying to gauge the viewing demographic, they'd assume I was a 70 year old woman.

Then I recommend The Good Life, & Mother Makes 3 (I'm not a fan of Butterflies).

I don't know how you can tolerate Last Of The Summer Wine.

Get Bouquet Of Barbed Wire (not a sitcom but many a gay would find the humour within).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2015 4:46 PM

My mother ruined one of my chairs when she visited. She dyes her hair at home and the dye came off on the back of the chair. Gross. if ID known, I would have placed an antimassacar on the chair.

They are also used on the arms of chairs and couches for pigs who don't wash their hands. They soil the furniture with their greasy, dirty fingers.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2015 4:57 PM

I had dermatitis from a detergent allergy on my hands and arms up to my elbows a few years ago, R32. I discovered the ointment the dermatologist prescribed stained fabric, so I fashioned antimacassars for the arms of some of my furniture. My mother and I laughed about needing to buy doilies.

Your mother needs to rinse her hair after she colors it. She probably leaves that color everywhere, like her car headrest.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2015 5:50 PM

R24 I'm American. Accept it. I'm looking at my framed flag, at this very moment.

R25 Caught me! Every morning, I make my cup of Earl Gray pull out my Thomas Kinkade needlepoint, ring up Betty and talk about yesterday's gossip, then I swing onto DL to get my daily dose of men presenting holes.

R30 Marry me.

R33 God help me that I know this and I don't have a hair of gray on my head but she must be using one of those tints in the pink bottle, the Fanci-full stuff I see in the shampoo aisles.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2015 12:30 AM

Did SNL ever have a segment called "Chintz Chat"?

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2015 12:32 AM

R35 I don't know. It should have. We should start a "Sewing with The Nancies" thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2015 12:36 AM

Nancy is scary. I prefer the tailer.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2015 12:42 AM

I like toile patterns, but not the ribbons and bows variety. I like more of an architectural pattern in deep moody colors. I love Chinoiserie patterns in bold colors, they work beautifully against weathered black lacquer painted furniture. I really don't care for any small patterned florals, they make me dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2015 12:50 AM

OP have at it and decorate your home, *the place where you're supposed to feel most comfortable* as chintzy as you like. Get the pva glue out and decoupage some old tin jugs, channel Miss Marple and put your very best table cloth out for tea even when you're alone. Watch back to back episodes of Mapp and Lucia and memorise all the put-downs. Do whatever it is that makes you enveloped in Gemütlichkeit. Life's too short to worry what other people think. Have fun.

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2015 12:50 AM

We should move together. I would love to live in a grandma's house or mansion. Everything feels so much cozier and inviting compared to todays sterile design.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2015 1:16 AM

I love "Hetty Wainthropp investigates", too. R39 You are wonderful. Maybe we should start a chintz commune with R40 and actually feel like we're living in a home and not a processing facility.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2015 1:29 AM

Now you understand why gay retirement homes never make money. Anal leakage on the chintz is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2015 1:57 AM

You know, you can buy trendy updated toile these days. There's New York City toile, Mexican cowboy and cowgirl toiles, and my favorite, Harlem Toile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2015 6:29 AM

[R38] It sounds like you live in my home. I love old things, but love to mix it with modern art and Chinoiserie. It's also important to me to have a different look that what is popular right now, like industrial, and bathrooms that are so sterile that it looks like you could do surgery in there. If I see one more blue and white beach house, I'm going to scream. I mix up everything, and it seems to work. My friends and visitors love my place. Just buy what you love and it will work. It's better than following the crowd. Do what you love. It's your home.

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2015 9:42 AM

R41 OK but if we all live in a cosy commune I have to absolutely draw the line at toilet seat covers. For TV we'll add in Father Brown Investigates (the British one with Mark Williams), the original Upstairs, Downstairs and all the Hetty Wainthropp your heart desires. Ask r40 if he can make scones, mine are like hockey pucks.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2015 11:49 AM

Well, OP, my home is decorated in early Hansel and Gretel; so, I wouldn't worry too much.

You do need to learn the difference between Shabby Chic and Traditional Chintz however. Shabby Chic was specifically developed to bring the English look to hot, sunny areas such as Southern California. Also, Shabby Chic does not utilize actual chintz so much a American 1940s floral prints.

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2015 11:59 AM

There's a book you should get called English Decoration by Ben Pentreath. It features a couple of his own interiors but the highlights are all the old English houses it features.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2015 12:20 PM

I covered this when it first hit market, but I believe I've found the perfect place for OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2015 6:25 PM

Get help, r5!

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2020 2:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2020 2:39 PM

No. You get help, Bump Bitch r49.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2020 2:41 PM

He's been on a tear for the last half hour or so, R51. I suspect the Bump Bitch is also the racist antisemite who is whining that one of his sockpuppets can't post because he got FFed too much.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2020 3:01 PM

I love the layered English country house style. Ben Pentreath mentioned by R47 is one of my favorites too.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2020 3:35 PM

Florals...I LIVE FOR FLORALS.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2020 3:54 PM

Nancy Lancaster (who popularized the English Country House style) used to leave new curtains, rugs and upholstered pieces outdoors for a while to fade them.

It’s nouveau riche to have things that look brand new.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2020 4:00 PM

You too huh?

I fucking hate minimalist interiors, I want fussy and ornate with shitloads of floral patterns, gilt, tassels, doilies the fucking lot. R4 and R5 look like something I'd live in

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2020 7:49 PM

You have to draw the line somewhere.

This is the most terrifying bed I've ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2020 6:17 AM

Enjoy, Sweetie!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2020 9:28 AM

OP, here's your new favorite blog:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2020 12:07 PM

R56 at least you embrace it, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2021 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!