Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Genetic Lottery That is Beauty

2 brothers, one homely, one very handsome.

Saw a set on the bus just now. About 16 and 17 years old. Faces looked SO much alike and about the same size boys. The features added up to fugly for one, and handsome for the other. The handsome one wasn't perfect but every feature tilted into a very handsome whole.

Are you in a sibling match like this? Pretty sister, homely sister? Etc.

I knows girls will throw themselves at that handsome young man, and the homely brother is going to have to work at it. Also the homely one was a bit effusive and adoring to his brother, who was more composed and knew he collects gazes in public.

by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2020 8:06 PM

He said it best..Dennis Miller once said, "it's a freaking genetic bouillabaisse"

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2015 10:25 AM

My brother (one year older) is very handsome. He also has a natural swimmer's build. We're in our thirties now, and he drinks beer like a fish and does a lot of takeout, but he never seems to gain a pound. He doesn't exercise, either, and would rather spend his weekday evenings after work relaxing, smoking weed and several cans of beer. On the weekends, he parties. He also has a good complexion and has never really had breakouts, just a white-head once in a blue moon, that goes away fast without leaving a mark.

Meanwhile, I balloon up if I don't watch my diet or exercise, and last year, I was going through a hard time and gained 50 lbs,, including stretch marks, which I'd never had before. It was very upsetting, because, first of all, I struggle with depression (since high school), also, the new psychotropics they put me on two years ago caused me to gain weight AND lose my hair. So to get unsightly stretch marks on top of everything else was very disconcerting.

Furthermore, I have very bad acne scars from the cystic acne I had from ages 13-31. I tried every over-the-counter medication/cleanser, but it just got worse. People kept telling me, "You'll grow out of it," so I didn't seek professional help. It wasn't until my latter 20s that someone recommended I go see a dermatologist, who put me on antibiotics. I was on them for a few years, but every time he tried to get me off of them, the acne resumed with a vengeance. Finally, when I was 31, he said, "I'm sick of treating this" and suggested I seriously considered Isotretinoin (Accutane). I was reluctant, because I read horror stories about suicides and terrible side effects (e.g. IBS, hair loss), but I felt that I had no choice. But the worst I got was dry mouth/nasal passages, chapped lips. It did the trick, because 4 years later, I haven't had a major breakout. *knock wood*

Anyway, I wish I'd been on it sooner, because the cystic acne really did damage to my face. My brother had this friend who used to call me 'Scarface' jokingly. At first, I laughed it off, but eventually I snapped, and he stopped. Another time, I overheard one of my sister's friends refer to my brother as 'the cute one.' I can only imagine what strangers think of us when they see us together and learn we're brothers. One of my biggest fears is for a stranger to secretly take my picture and wind up as an Internet meme about ugly people or the like.

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2015 10:46 AM

If both look similar then it comes down to perception and not just yours, but the ugly one believing, for a very long time, that he/she is the ugly one and dress, act, or pose (position himself/herself) accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2015 10:46 AM

Years ago a co-worker of mine at the time met my brother at a party we both attended. A few days later she said "No offense, but your brother, he's so good looking, with those small pores . . .' Insinuating, of course, that I had large pores.

It's odd the things we remember 25+ years later.

These days my brother is 100% bald and I have a very healthy head of hair. As a good friend of mine said, "Your brother (who is also type A, very successful etc.) got all the good genetics minus the good hair. That went to you."

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2015 11:25 AM

I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2015 1:52 PM

No offense, but your brother, he's so good looking, with those small pores

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2015 2:06 PM

I've told this story before about three Lebanese brothers who run a jewelry business in my city. The youngest at 25 is breathtakingly beautiful--dark hair, beautiful hazel eyes model good looks and a stunning smile. The oldest brother is a hot DILF that looks like a Colt model. The middle brother looks like Shrek.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2015 2:13 PM

R7 do they have the same parents?

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2015 2:25 PM

I worked with a beautiful blonde woman and her less attractive sister, who had perfect skin and glossy black hair. It was interesting because the more beautiful one didn't care about her looks and the less attractive sister didn't resent her. They said they had a good mother who helped them work through all of that when they were kids.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2015 3:43 PM

They do R8. The beautiful sons definitely take after their mom but the poor middle son takes after his father who looks like Danny Devito. I have no idea how such an ugly man got such a beautiful wife.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2015 3:47 PM

We've discovered through our years that many not beautiful men are the ones with sizemeat, so it kind of evens things out in the end.

As often as possible, in our end. Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Many times the homely brother is a nice guy who is great in a relationship, R10.

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2015 4:02 PM

R10, that just proves the point that the others could be fathered by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2015 4:12 PM

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2015 4:22 PM

This was really hard on my late half-sister. I felt sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2015 4:26 PM

Unfortunately, most people that win the genetic lottery are lacking in personality and tend to be insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2015 4:34 PM

To this day my brother resents me. He is handsome, above AWG. I got mom and dad's looks, and he got their flaws.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2015 2:54 AM

I knew of a pair of sisters a couple of years apart in age. The older one was a pretty cheerleader and was the Homecoming Queen. The younger one was astonishingly ugly, ostracized and the object of many cruel jokes.

I always thought it was just too unfair to have [italic]that[/italic] extreme of a difference in one family.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2015 5:49 AM

It was confusing to me growing up. I was the conventionally beautiful one, but my sister was always bumping her sideways eyes into furniture and STILL got the rich ones!

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2015 6:14 AM

It's mom's fault.

There are 2 possible male gene combos, and 2 possible female gene combos (total of 4) from a single set of parents.

Both brother must share the same Y chromosome from their father, but they probably have a different X chromosome from their mother.

YX1 YX2

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2015 6:20 AM

What about plain people producing beautiful kids?...I once saw a couple, a tall obese white woman and a short dark Indigenous-looking Filipino man,walking with their 3 teenaged sons. All of the sons look like beautiful golden-skinned Latino boys. I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2015 6:29 AM

In high school there was a set of triplets consisting of 2 boys and 1 girl. One of the boys was a gorgeous, muscular football player. The girl was very pretty and a member of the school's dance team (home to most of the prettiest and popular girls in school).

The other boy was skinny, tall and totally awkward. Granted he was the nicest and most down to earth of his siblings.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2015 11:46 AM

I have two brothers, and while we aren't male models, we are nice looking, even handsome to some. I don't see it myself and have often been self conscious about my looks, but people remark on how attractive we are all the time, especially when we are together. Our parents are in their early 70s and look great. Dad could have been a movie star, he's the best looking of all of us.

Okay, getting to the point...my dad's brother is married to my mom's first cousin. They look very much like my parents, but DAMN did their kids not luck out in the looks department. They have 3 daughters, and they are all unfortunate looking. 2 of them work with what they have, looks wise, and have such great personalities that to me they are adorable; nicest girls in the world. They have both landed sweet, attractive(ish) husbands and both have cute children.

The third sister never got over the fact she's not beautiful, and has always been sour and bitchy. She doesn't try in any way to make herself more attractive, and she's 40 and still lives at home. Her mom and sisters have tried to get her "makeovers" over the years, but she always reverts. I gave up a long time ago trying to be nice to her.

BUT! There is also a son! BEAUTIFUL. Even in our 40s now..he looks great. It is weird how the parents' genes worked so well in him but not in the girls. He is a topic for another thread, though....

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2015 12:41 PM

[quote] BUT! There is also a son! BEAUTIFUL. Even in our 40s now..he looks great. It is weird how the parents' genes worked so well in him but not in the girls. He is a topic for another thread, though....

You don't by any chance fuck him on weekends?

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2015 1:03 PM

We're twins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2015 1:25 PM

Lebanese R10 ? Beautiful wife + Ugly man = Arranged marriage

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2015 1:33 PM

But R20, how do you explain Bruce and Demi's kids; one, sort of not bad; two, break-glass ugly??

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2015 1:45 PM

My brother is ruggedly handsome, natural athlete, with charisma off the charts. Men and women flirt with him. It's been this way all our lives. Even at 60, he still has a great body, that face, and a head of salt and pepper hair. He could give a shit about his looks, married a very average looking woman, has never strayed.

I am nice looking and take care of myself. Next to him, I am invisible.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2015 2:05 PM

I just saw Ron Reagan (Jr.) on Bill Maher. He was acting very gay and also surprisingly he has become more attractive with age. That nose! That BDF. Now tell me, where did he get that nose??? Nancy and Ronald must have had a LOT of work done.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2015 2:14 PM

R R Jr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2015 2:15 PM

Just look at the Quaid Brothers -- Dennis and Randy. They own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2015 2:40 PM

What about the children of Mario Cuomo? All are homely except Chris Cuomo? Is Chris lucky or the did his plastic surgeon get lucky -- and rich from recreating him?

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2015 3:54 PM

On what planet would Chris Cuomo be considered physically attractive, r32?

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2015 8:22 PM

[quote] On what planet would Chris Cuomo be considered physically attractive

Chris Cuomo looks like a baboon and seems to have the mind of a dumb jock. He also has a weird accent.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2015 8:24 PM

Compared to his siblings, Chris Cuomo is an Adonis.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2015 9:42 PM

[quote] Compared to his siblings, Chris Cuomo is an Adonis.

True.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2015 9:43 PM

I've always been told that real beauty is on the inside of a plastic surgeon's office.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2015 10:34 PM

I remember seeing pics of Cindy Crawford with her parents and siblings. They are all average looking except for her. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 38September 27, 2015 12:12 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 27, 2015 12:20 AM

R39 you do realise that his brother is some kind of "special" and therefore should not be held to beauty standards?

by Anonymousreply 40September 27, 2015 12:35 AM

r40, he's got mild cerebral palsy. Very mild. He's a normal guy who works a normal job, has married and divorced, and lives an ordinary life. His facial features just happened to arrange themselves in a way very different from those of his brother. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 41September 27, 2015 12:42 AM

where I grew up we called that a "spaz" and nobody would be cruel enough to compare a spaz to a male model, but oki doky, i do see you point.

by Anonymousreply 42September 27, 2015 12:45 AM

Mrs. Patrick Campbell, It's so good to see you back. Don't disappear again.

by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2015 1:31 AM

R412 how can you be simultaneously married and divorced?

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2015 3:34 AM

R44, try carefully reading the sentence. Reading comprehension is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 45September 27, 2015 3:35 AM

R2 You need to get out of your brother's shadow.

by Anonymousreply 46August 2, 2020 7:54 PM

Shirley Maclaine and Warren Beatty. To my eyes, I don't see genetic similarities at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2020 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!