Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Military Dudes OBSESSED with My Little Pony say it's 'harder to be a Brony' than be gay in the US army

Trending Coronation Street Celebrity Big Brother line up 2015 Star Wars X Factor 2015 Emmerdale

Technology Money Travel Fashion Mums

Home TV TV Previews Documentaries

Military men OBSESSED with My Little Pony say it's 'harder to be a Brony' than be gay in the US army

0 comments 15:56, 23 Sep 2015 By Natalie Corner

Thousands of adults males gather at the world's biggest fan convention for the colourful toy at BronyCon

1 Share Share Tweet +1 Pin

Play 0:00 / 0:43 Fullscreen Mute Share

My Little Pony has fans across the world - usually young girls aged 4-7 - but that hasn't stopped grown men becoming fans.

Calling themselves 'Bronies', there are estimated to be as many as 12 million adult males around the world who are part of this world-wide fan phenomenon.

Presenter Michelle de Swarte heads over to the US to witness the craze at 'BronyCon' - the world's biggest convention of My Little Pony fans - for Channel 4 documentary World of Weird.

During a chat with a group of 'military Bronies', the presenter is shocked when they admit they believe it would be harder to be a Brony than be gay in the US military.

"I would say a Brony just because at least in the US military, homosexuals can serve openly in the military now and there are protective laws against discriminating against homosexuals," says one army drill sergeant.

"You’re not going to get kicked out of the army for making fun of a Brony," he adds.

Michelle also meets 26-year-old single man David, who tried to avoid the craze at first but couldn't help becoming obsessed with the animated series of My Little Pony.

He tells the cameras about his hobby: "I was worried people would think I was weird and maybe not like me as much. I wasn't secure enough in my masculinity to watch it basically."

Also appearing on the World of Weird is a man who has the world's biggest family - 39 wives and 94 children - as well as a couple with a pet 2,500lb pet buffalo and people in Japan who 'rent-a-family'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2020 8:12 PM

It makes perfect sense that it's 'harder to be a Brony' than be gay in the US army, because at least being gay doesn't flag you as an individual with seriously arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2015 3:15 PM

Forgot to add, I'm sure there's some overlap between the two groups anyway...

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2015 3:17 PM

I have to do this. I'm sorry. There is no, other way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2015 3:44 PM

maybe they can get together with T and form a group where they talk about how it is harder than being gay, and mental illness

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2015 4:09 PM

If someone is over ten and obsessed with "My Little Pony," I want them executed. I don't care if it's a male or female.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2015 5:13 PM

Drop the B! ... The B in LGBT stands for Bronies, right?

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2015 5:16 PM

OP needs a lesson in copy-paste 101. (Don't paste the entire web page, dude.)

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2015 5:38 PM

Sorry, but I love these guys. I find their fandom refreshing.

They don't think their love for (no, obsession with) a "girly" children's TV show means they are secretly female and need to "transition". They are men.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2015 5:59 PM

More manchild bullshit.

Blame the parents.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2015 6:03 PM

if you google "transgender bronies" you will find them

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2015 6:03 PM

R5 It's quite the ethical question, isn't it? Should we allow these people to suffer any adulthood that requires they dress up like plastic, pastel ponies from girly cartoons of the 1980's, just to be content?

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2015 6:06 PM

Um R11, there is a new My Little Pony called Friendship is Magic, gramps. I'm not a brony, I just happen to know. Because I have young girl relatives who like it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2020 8:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!