Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hee Haw

You oldies know you used to watch it. You all know you wanted Buck Owens to fuck you and wanted to make Roy Clark squeel like a pig.

Of course Junior was one into the homosex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2020 6:02 PM

Where oh where are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the world over and I thought I found true love

You met another and pffft you were gone!

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2015 12:12 PM

Hee Haw Honeys on gossip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2015 12:23 PM

r1

Audio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2015 12:25 PM

Man is this ever taking me back to high school. I grew up in Appalachia, so this was like Downton Abbey to my home town.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2015 12:30 PM

Hee Haw was just an unfunny version of "Laugh-In."

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2015 12:50 PM

I thought my uncle worked as Buck Owens. They looked alike, used the same humor, and dressed like twits.

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2015 12:58 PM

My grandparents used to watch this and I grew up in Appalachia like R4 so Hee Haw brings back comforting memories of my childhood. My parents watched it every now and then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2015 1:00 PM

This show hearkens back to a different time when there was no political correctness. I was watching a few episodes not long ago and poor Lulu was the brunt of some fat jokes. No wonder she turned to drugs.

But it was also a time when sexuality wasn't constantly in your face. Yes, the buxom blondes were on Hee Haw showing their cleavage, but it didn't seem as blatant as today's shows.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2015 1:15 PM

George Burns said, that Gypsie Rose Lee used to do a fan dance. You had to pay a nickel to see it. Then she would dance around in a flesh colored, form fitting body suit while she moved the oversized fans quickly all over, in front of her body.

He said it was great, until the dance was over and you left, it was only then that you realized you actually hadn't seen anything.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2015 1:34 PM

We're gon' play now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2015 2:52 PM

Roy Clark's bad plastic surgery just kills me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2015 2:58 PM

"Hee-Haw" made me a STAR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2015 5:57 PM

Mee Maw bout fainted when she heard the Haggar twins shucked their clothes and posed nekkid!!

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2015 7:02 PM

My dad made me turn off a Shakespeare in the Park broadcast that I had been watching for nearly two hours in order to watch Hee Haw. I walked down the street to a friend's house--they were gone for the evening--and crawled through my buddy's window to see the rest of the play. Much Ado About Nothing remains my favorite comedy. I did not like Hee Has but would watch it in a heartbeat if I could spend another hour with my dad.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2015 12:29 AM

I grew up in the Appalachianest state of all and I've never ever heard any of my relatives, or anyone else for that matter, refer to themselves as Appalachian. Not that there's anything wrong with that. We watched Hee Haw, along with the Flatt & Scruggs Show and the Porter Wagoner Show. There's nothing beats Martha White Self-Rising Flour.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2015 12:42 AM

r12

Was she on Hee Haw? I thought she was only on the spin-off, the Hee Haw Honeys.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2015 1:02 AM

R15 Well, I lived in the border of WVa and Va, in the mountains--what part did you grow up in? Porter Wagoner with a young and naturally buxom pre-surgery Dolly was a mainstay. That and the most ridiculous version of "rassling" I have ever seen to this day. We didn't say we were Appalachian when I lived there, but I say it now so folks will know how "kohntree down the holler" my high school years were.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2015 1:41 AM

If you get RFD-TV, you can still watch Hee Haw--and Porter Wagoner AND the drug store truck drivin' man himself, Ralph Emery.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2015 2:07 AM

R17, I grew up on the WV/KY border, more hills than mountains there. When I was a teenager during the British Invasion I was so bummed because I knew that none of the bands I liked would EVER come near my home town, though we would get all the top name bluegrass bands. Now, of course, I would take advantage of that opportunity to see Flatt & Scruggs and the others. Once in a while I'll get homesick and make some sausage gravy and biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2015 4:08 AM

Wow Roy Clark is still alive. And he's straight, I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2015 8:38 AM

LuLu today. She lost all the weight awhile back and has kept it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2015 9:08 AM

Eventhough she was a big gal, there was something quite beautiful about her. I love this look with the long, dark hair in pigtails...a real contrast to the petite blond Hee Haw hunnies.

She also had a wicked sense of humor. Very sarcastic. As a child watching with my grandparents that always appealed to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2015 9:21 AM

I loathed this show.

My grandmother, LOVED it.

But then, she didn't understand English.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2015 10:04 AM

Hager twin bulges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2015 11:28 AM

Hager nipple. Live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2015 11:29 AM

Down-home sex bomb calendar boys.

Paving the way for Bo and Luke Duke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2015 11:31 AM

Hager homage hinting homosexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2015 11:34 AM

"Hee Haw" premiered as a summer replacement for "The Glen Campbell Good Time Hour". Anyone else remember other summer replacement variety shows? I think Bobbie Gentry had one filling in for Glen Campbell, too. The Gold Diggers filled in for Dean Martin. Some of those shows were better than what they filled in for (or at least in my memory.)

Thanks for the link about the Hager Twins, R27. Interesting read. Not unusual for twins or multiple birth kids to remain so close and devoted for their entire lives even right up to death. I read that the Dionne quintuplets couldn't bear to be separated from each other for long.

I HEAR you, R14! I had a Hee Haw lovin' dad that I miss too. He also watched Porter Wagoner and the Wilburn Brothers shows on Saturday night. Syndicated programming on our local ABC affiliate in Akron Ohio AKA the Capitol of West Virginia.

R15 and R17, my parents were from that region (Big Stone Gap and Grundy, Va.). I remember on visits there in the 60s being surprised that they got a show called "Upbeat" produced in Cleveland that got some big name Motown acts and British Invasion bands when they were in town on tour. My cousins said it was their lifeline to anything cool!

When my nephew was a toddler he called this show "Hee Hog" and it stuck in our family. Seems a better fit somehow... ( And then there was "Falcon Crust"...)

And a friend and I named Jethro's daughters in "The Ten Commandments" the Hee Haw Honeys..."Who cares?! He's a MAYUN!"

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2015 11:10 PM

Did anyone ever watch Melody Ranch? I liked it better than Hee Has especially since it had Billy Mize who was easy to look at and seemed like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2015 7:42 AM

We lived inbetween 5 different TV markets so at 6pm on Saturday night you had Hee Haw on 5 of the 12 channels we got. They'd be a second or two out of sync with each other so you could flip really fast between the different Hee Haws to get a stuttering effect.

Lawrence Welk was on 3 of the other channels.

Ah...the good ole days.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2015 7:59 AM

OMG, that takes me back to summer with my grandparents. How I dreaded the Lawrence Welk Show."

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2015 8:03 AM

I got Hee Haw with my father and Lawrence Welk with my grandparents. I detested them both with every fiber of my being.

Like others, I would relish the chance to watch them with my family again. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2015 10:19 AM

Junior Samples was the best fucking person on the show. He could just barely handle the dialogue they gave him. He ruled!

R29, I just bought my mom a bunch of Melody Ranch dvds (she loves classic country). I had never heard of it before and weirdly, the dvds are produced by some company in the Netherlands.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2015 12:07 PM

Junior Samples has a very rounded swimsuit area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2015 1:25 PM

You know what's a real sign of the times? Back when this was on, Junior Samples looked like the fattest man in America to me(as a young kid.) Looking at the photo @ R34, he looks like 1/2 the women in Florida now.

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2015 1:45 PM

R35, the fat jokes on old sitcoms on mesothelioma channels are now funny for a whole different reason.

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2015 1:53 PM

"Melody Ranch" would be a good drag character.

by Anonymousreply 37September 25, 2015 1:59 PM

If you go to the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville, they have a pair of his overalls on display. What's genuinely shocking is how small they actually are. By today's standards, he was just a little portly.

by Anonymousreply 38September 25, 2015 2:02 PM

I seriously can't understand how the shows I watched in the 80s as a kid were also watched by adults. Were they all developmentally disabled?

by Anonymousreply 39September 25, 2015 4:07 PM

Take a look at Billy Mize R33.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2015 1:56 AM

For anyone who remembers or wants to see Hee Haw, reruns are returning to broadcast tv. If you have a Grey Television station in your market, this week they launched a new sub-channel network called Circle, co-owned with the Grand Ole Opry. It will also feature Opry performances and other country music programming. The network will roll out at other stations later this year and they will launch an OTT platform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2020 3:25 AM

It would be really fucking nice if the links to fucking Lulu worked.

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2020 3:34 AM

I saw a few episodes of this when I was very young (4 or 5, maybe), and I could not, for the life of me figure out what it was supposed to be. Was it just a variety show for country music? Why did they have “bits”?

At any rate, even at that age I thought it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2020 3:48 AM

That fat sloppy singer Linda Ronstadt sang in the Hee Haw cornfield. I saw it on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2020 3:53 AM

Here's a recent interview with Lulu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2020 3:53 AM

[quote]Was it just a variety show for country music?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2020 3:55 AM

Man I'd like to eat Lulu's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2020 4:05 AM

Hee Haw was genius. I heard they actually only filmed once a year, so it was like a fun reunion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2020 6:18 AM

That's a picture of The Beverly Hillbillies, obviously, but that's the Mobituary podcast about CBS's rural purge of the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2020 6:21 AM

R43 it was the country version of Laugh In, but lasted much longer.

by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2020 4:01 PM

Call BR 549......

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2020 4:31 PM

These could be the DL theme songs:

[quote]Gloom, despair and agony on me/Deep, dark depression, excessive misery/If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all/Gloom, despair and agony on me

[quote]Now we're not ones to go around startin' rumors/No, really we're just not the gossiping kind/Well, you'll never hear one of us repeating gossip/So you better make sure and listen close the first time

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2020 4:41 PM

I wanted Roy Clark to ride me through the cornfield.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2020 5:03 PM

Poor String Bean. They were murdered by 2 burglars who had laid in wait at their home. Their bodies were discovered the next day by their neighbor Grandpa Jones.

[quote] Akeman was modest and unassuming, and he enjoyed hunting and fishing. Accustomed to the hard times of the Great Depression, Akeman and his wife Estelle lived frugally in a small cabin at 2308 Baker Road, near Ridgetop, Tennessee. Their only indulgences were a Cadillac and a color TV. Depression-era bank failures caused Akeman not to trust banks with his money.[4] Gossip around Nashville was that Akeman kept large amounts of cash on hand, even though he was by no means wealthy by entertainment industry standards.

[quote] On Saturday night, November 10, 1973, Akeman and his wife returned home after he performed at the Grand Ole Opry. Both were shot dead shortly after their arrival. The killers had waited for hours. Their corpses were discovered the following morning by their neighbor, Grandpa Jones.[4]

[quote] A police investigation resulted in the convictions of cousins John A. Brown and Marvin Douglas Brown, both 23 years old. They had ransacked the cabin, and killed Stringbean when he arrived. His wife shrieked when she saw her husband murdered. She begged for her life, but was shot as well. According to the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals, "Upon their return, Mr. Akeman spotted the intruders in his home and evidently offered some resistance. One of the Brown cousins fatally shot Mr. Akeman, then pursued, shot, and killed Mrs. Akeman. At their trial (where Akeman's fellow cast member and friend Grandpa Jones testified, as he recognized one of the stolen firearms in the defendants' possession as a gift he had given Akeman), each defendant blamed the other for the homicides."[5] The killers took only a chainsaw and some firearms.

[quote] Marvin Douglas Brown fought his convictions in the appellate courts. On September 28, 1982, the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed the trial judge's order denying him a new trial.[6] Marvin Brown ultimately granted an exclusive interview to Larry Brinton of the Nashville Banner. He admitted his part in the burglary and murders, but insisted John Brown fired the fatal shots. As Marvin Brown, by his own admission, had committed burglary (a felony) that resulted in death, Brown was legally guilty of murder, regardless of who fired the shots, under Tennessee's felony murder rule.

[quote] Marvin Brown died of natural causes in 2003, at the Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary, in Petros, Tennessee, and is buried in the prison cemetery. John Brown was incarcerated in Lois M. DeBerry Special Needs Facility in Nashville. In July 2008, the Tennessee Parole Board deferred any parole for 36 months. He was again denied parole in July 2011. In 2014, John Brown was granted parole and released after serving 41 years of a 198-year sentence.[7][8]

[quote] David and Estelle Akeman are buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Gardens in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. During the remaining production of Hee Haw, the scarecrow was left as a memorial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2020 6:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!