Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LISTEN: Ryan Adams’ Entire Cover Album Of Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’

Musician Ryans Adams released his cover album of Taylor Swift’s best-selling album 1989 on Monday, altering the beat, tempo and style of the songs and turning them into folksy, acoustic punk songs. Adams says he wanted to explore Swift’s entire hit a…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 1:16 AM

Something about his face irks me. Too smug.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2015 5:08 PM

Is this anywhere else besides Towleroad, since I refuse to click on any links from that site

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2015 7:37 PM

horrible.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2015 10:12 PM

I would like this if Anne Heche was somehow involved.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2015 10:49 PM

You can stream it on Apple music, if you have it. I don't know if it's on Spotify. I listened to it, and was terribly unimpressed. He said it was in the style of the Smiths, but, other than drowning his voice in reverb and having a few Johnny Marr-like licks, it doesn't sound anything like them. And, worse, the songs are just badly performed and produced. It's almost like he listened to the original just once, and sang the melody sort of like the original, as much as he could remember. The arrangements are bland and not flushed out. And the mixing it atrocious, with guitar licks way too hot. I don't think he has great respect for Swift, which I thought he did when I heard about the project, but it seems like it's just a ploy for attention, which is par for the course with Adams. What could have been a great cd turns out to be completely dismissible. I don't understand why it's been getting such great reviews. Are people afraid to say anything he does isn't great?

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2015 10:56 PM

Taylor is retweeting a bunch of people praising it/her. Imma unfollow dat heffa.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2015 11:01 PM

I think if it were Bryan Adams , it'd be the shit. But not this douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2015 12:17 AM

Lame idea, lame execution. A waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2015 12:20 AM

Ryan Adams comparing himself to The Smiths? No...just...no.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2015 1:39 AM

Remember when Camper Van Beethoven did this with Fleetwood Mac's Tusk?

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2015 1:43 AM

His fans are nearly as tiresome as him. It's what shallow people consider deep and his voice isn't even interesting. It's painful after a few bars. Glad to see he's seen through on DL. I'm surrounded by fans in real life.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2015 2:36 AM

I'm r5. Even though I think his version of 1989 is entirely a ploy for media attention -- and I think the cd is terrible -- I still count myself as a fan. Although he's a total ass, when he's good, he's very very good. Check out this song from his penultimate cd. I could listen to it on repeat a hundred times. It's a stunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2015 3:36 AM

What's the fucking point of this??

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2015 3:53 AM

Of what, r13? Of the cd? I think the general consensus is to get publicity. Of this post? I don't know? We just want to express opinions?

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2015 4:18 AM

R12, thanks for making my point for me. He's just struggling to do something interesting with his voice.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2015 1:35 PM

He ran out of ideas and knows that the only way he can get attention is by glomming on to the current hot thing. Sad, I like some of his songs.

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2015 1:58 PM

Yeah, I'm so glad he didn't make something original.

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2015 3:16 PM

R13 Same as anything nowadays. Ploy for attention.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2020 11:40 PM

R5 I agree with what you said. I'm a fan of his as well. He has written some great songs, is a very good musician and singer when he wants to be. It seems now the thing to do more than ever is to do covers to try to get an audience. Even bigger names like Bon Iver and Jame Blake cover Billy Eilish and the like. I get when a smaller artists do it to try to get some attention, but I'm really not a fan in general. Also, you see all the nobody's on youtube having hundreds of thousands of views on their mediocre covers. But no one will take an interest in anything they have to offer in terms of original music because it's usually shit. There is such an over saturation of this kind of thing going on. I think it really has screwed up the way music gets exposed.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 1:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!