Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your favorite Donna Summer song

Mine is "Dinner With Gershwin" from 1987. Brenda Russell penned a great tune with this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2020 1:21 PM

So many to choose from but I still love Last Dance.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2015 1:09 PM

Yes, so many, but like On the Radio and This Time.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2015 1:12 PM

I really like this Donna Summer song from her album Cats Without Claws - "Eyes"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2015 1:17 PM

Sunset People

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2015 1:18 PM

I Feel Love still sounds like it could've been recorded yesterday. It's so trippy, I never get tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2015 1:31 PM

The record Four Seasons of Love, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2015 1:34 PM

"I Feel Love" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

The sound of Giorgio Moroder's electronics was like the aural equivalent of flashing lights in a dance club.

It practically doesn't matter what Summer's singing.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2015 1:40 PM

Ring My Bell

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2015 1:51 PM

Working the Midnight Shift, Wasted & Try Me, I Know We Can Make It

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2015 1:56 PM

Donna Summer is one of the only artists whose album tracks were just as good as her singles, especially during the Casablanca years. Listening to her Casablanca stuff, there isn't one dud on any album.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2015 1:59 PM

"Dinner With Gershwin" was a last minute decision because her label didn't think there was a viable lead single from her collaboration with Harold Faltermeyer, who arranged and played keyboard/synthesizer on her late 70s albums, also cowrote some of the hits like "Hot Stuff," which was all his idea. It was a good idea to reunite with her old collaborators, but Giorgio was the only one she really needed to get with again, and Giorgio didn't want to work with her anymore because he said she turned down any sexy song and only wanted to sing about Jesus. This was in the 80s, the first album The Wanderer pleased the critics but the fans were bored. Their last album in 1981 wasn't even released, until 15 yrs later. Faltermeyer had no track record as a solo producer for producing commercial pop, just that one fluke instrumental hit, Axel F, from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. So again Donna saddled herself with a producer unlikely to make her competitive. But she didn't really care, already had enough money. Too bad she couldn't have combined Madonna's ambition with her own immense vocal talent.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2015 2:03 PM

r11, Harold Faltermeyer had a good track record as a producer during the late 80's. He wasn't 'unproven' or a novice record producer when he linked up with Donna Summer. He produced albums by Laura Branigan, Jennifer Rush and Billy Idol prior to All Systems Go.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2015 2:12 PM

I think she has great success with Billy Strayhorn's Lush Life. It has some extremely eighties flourishes from Quincy Jones, but she hits the lyrics with the right tone of edgy bitterness and resigned sadness. Far superior to the belting versions we've been subjected to from other pop singers.

She should have done a straight-up standards album or even a gospel record. Her post-mid-80s stuff is mostly bland and uninspired. She would have been better off eschewing the commercial or current trends and going with what moved her.

*Wasn't there talk of a Nashville album for several years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2015 2:16 PM

Feel free to name the Top 40 singles he produced. Faltermeyer might have been good enough for Branigan, but not Donna, as a solo producer.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2015 2:16 PM

It's a shame that Donna had to get all Jesusy in the early80s, because her creativity really suffered. I don't believe she ever said any anti-gay stuff, but she definitely turned down several songs for being "too sexy," and those songs went on to become big hits for other artists. I think I read somewhere that Donna turned down "Gloria," which of course became a massive hit for Laura Branigan and one of the signature songs of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2015 2:22 PM

He was good enough for Donna. He had solo success two years prior to working with Donna. He did lack top 10 success in the USA for other artists though. He had top 40 success as a producer for Laura Branigan "Spanish Eddie" and "Flames of Paradise" for Jennifer Rush.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2015 2:24 PM

It was David Geffen who nixed the I'm a Rainbow album and paired her with Quincy Jones. I think Giorgio would have kept working with her but it was obvious things had changed since the fall of disco and Donna becoming born-again. Giorgio's productions were still huge up until the mid-80s. A song like Romeo could have been another top ten hit for Donna.

And Donna did start recording sexy songs again. She recorded "When Love Cries" in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2015 2:27 PM

agreed, r17! I really liked her Mistaken Identity album from 1991. "When Love Cries" is a great track!

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2015 2:29 PM

Harold called Giorgio before working with Donna, wanted to get his permission first, and Giorgio said "I'm through with her. But we're still friends." And added "Do a good job." In the last 5 yrs or so, Giorgio explained why he didn't want to work with her anymore, turning down hits they wrote for her and only wanting to sing about Jesus. That's what he said. And disco dying didn't have anything to do with it, Giorgio remained highly commercial into the mid-80s.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2015 2:35 PM

[quote] He had top 40 success as a producer for Laura Branigan "Spanish Eddie" and "Flames of Paradise" for Jennifer Rush.

Both marginal, "Spanish Eddie" #40, "Flames of Paradise" #36.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2015 2:43 PM

r19 Quote??

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2015 2:45 PM

because I haven't seen it here yet I'm putting, "love is in control"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2015 2:48 PM

"State of Independence" is amazing. Even Brian Eno praised its brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2015 2:50 PM

Eno loved her, I think he's said she's his favorite singer. Lots of praise from the electronic community for her, Moby and the Pet Shop Boys also worshiped her, and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2015 2:54 PM

She could elevate bad material as well. She released two versions of Down, Deep Inside (one slow, one disco) from the movie The Deep.

It wasn't really a good song but she made both versions enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2015 3:02 PM

The MacArthur Park suite.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2015 5:39 PM

Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger) is a good one. I also liked Sheena Easton's cover version from 2001.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2015 5:40 PM

My favorite is "Bad Reputation".

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2015 5:45 PM

The woman in Me

Our Love

Dinner with Gershwin

Try me, I know we can make it

Hot Stuff

Last Dance

Don't cry for me Argentina (far superior to Madonna's rendition or any other rendition that I've heard)

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2015 7:29 PM

Eyes

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2015 11:30 PM

Lucky from Bad Girls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2015 3:56 AM

MacArthur Park Suite all the way!! I have great memories of dancing to that in the early 90's towards the end of the night (which was like 10am) at Sound Factory and watching Kevin Aviance turning it the fuck out! WORK BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2015 4:03 AM

"I Feel Love" is how you knew you were gay in the 70s. It still sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2015 4:08 AM

"Lucky" is indeed amazing too. That entire 2 disc album was, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2015 4:13 AM

[quote] I think I read somewhere that Donna turned down "Gloria," which of course became a massive hit for Laura Branigan and one of the signature songs of the 80s.

It took me a few weeks to realize that "Gloria" was NOT Donna Summer. Laura Branigan straight ripped-off Donna's vocal style for that one.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2015 4:51 AM

Laura Branigan didn't rip off anyone's vocal for "Gloria". That's just how she sings. She was influenced by Donna but didn't rip off anybody.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2015 6:24 PM

[quote] Laura Branigan didn't rip off anyone's vocal for "Gloria". That's just how she sings. She was influenced by Donna but didn't rip off anybody.

If you say so, Felicia.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2015 6:26 PM

Now I Need You & Working the Midnight Shift (together)

Hot Stuff & Bad Girls (together)

With Your Love (from 'TGIF')

Our Love

Romeo

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2015 7:01 PM

I love her PWL period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2015 2:50 PM

Say Something Nice

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2015 3:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2015 3:23 PM

Happily Ever After from the Once Upon A Time album.

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2015 3:24 PM

i dont wanna get hurt

by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2015 3:34 PM

Enough is Enough was the best because she was paired with La Streisand!!

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2015 4:05 PM

Another vote for "I Feel Love."

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2015 4:26 PM

"I Feel Love" still sounds modern, a fantastic song.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2015 9:24 PM

Dinner With Gershwin

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2015 1:30 PM

Too many, but my fave is still the underrated "Dim All The Lights." I feel like that song has a little bit of everything.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2015 1:40 PM

She works hard for the money

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2015 11:01 PM

I like her "Gays Deserves Aids! dance mix.

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2015 11:04 PM

SAW's Love's about to change my heart

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2015 11:14 PM

The original mix of "Love On and On" with the ballad intro is very nice. Her vocal was killer.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2015 11:17 PM

r52 I love that one too. Donna recorded it for the Studio 54 movie with Ryan Phillippe, but when she saw a rough cut she thought the movie was shit (it was) and refused to let them use it. Curiously, she never released it as a single which is a shame because IMHO it's as good as her 70s songs. I think it would've been a pretty big hit.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2015 11:20 PM

R53 a Hex Hector remix was released as a b-side to "I Will Go With You." But the original/demo was the best, she slayed it with the vocal ab-libs -- her vocals became fuller and more soulful as she matured. Unfortunately, in her latter years she didn't have killer songs and arrangements like in her heyday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2015 5:19 AM

Elder Gays have such a wealth of cultural knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2020 12:48 AM

Our Love. Great percussion.

Can I pick Dim All the Lights as a second? It’s hard to pick one favorite.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2020 12:56 AM

In my mind, "I Feel Love" involves filth, and sex, and sweat, and fashion, and glamour, and drugs. It continues to be THE BEST disco track ever released. It's incredibly innovative. A mark of the zeitgeist. And its throbbing bass is HIGHLY erotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2020 12:59 AM

The MacArthur Park Suite off of her Live and More album is a remarkable recording and my favourite.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2020 1:05 AM

Of her classic run, I loved them all but I'd have to say Dim All The Lights was my favorite, showing versatility in her voice.

Of her 80's stuff, and possibly overall, Love Is In Control (Finger on the Trigger).

I was also the MARY! who wept over her version of Dan Fogelberg's Nether Lands, recorded not long before Donna's death. If you ever need a good cry, put this bitch on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote] I like her "Gays Deserves Aids! dance mix.

I much prefer the zippier "Not Adam and Steve!" re-mix.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2020 1:17 AM

She never said those things.

It was Geffen getting even.

by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2020 1:21 AM

R59, you just beat me! I’m posting anyway.

Runner-up for me is Nether Lands, her entry to the Dan Fogelberg tribute album put together by his widow not long after he died. Donna Summer approached her about singing the song because she used to listen to it all the time when her life was at a crossroads.

His widow apologized for not being able to pay for new orchestration to get the song into Donna Summer’s key. Summer told her it was no problem.

It isn’t my favorite Donna Summer song, but it is my favorite vocal performance from her. She is fucking majestic here.

I discovered this song through Datalounge just a couple of years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2020 1:23 AM

Disco is awful. Sorry sis.

by Anonymousreply 63December 14, 2020 1:24 AM

Last Dance is a classic and a great musical composition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2020 1:59 AM

"Hot Stuff" is the best, but I also love her version of "Could It Be Magic?" For a guilty pleasure, track down the live performance where Donna joins Barry Manilow on stage to duet with him on it.

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote[ She is fucking majestic here.

There may be a day that I can hear that song and not weep profusely by the first verse.....but that day has not yet happened.

The end truly is majestic.

by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2020 11:57 AM

The red dress is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2020 12:01 PM

Another MARY! here. Majestic is the perfect word for Donna's rendition of Nether Lands. I CAN NOT get through that song without crying. I think it's for a few reasons; - certainly her performance, but the fact that both she and Dan Fogleberg have died. Donna takes a song that you would think was totally out of her wheel house, and just slays it. Such incredible talent. I love Dan Fogleberg and loved the song when he sang it, but she just takes it to another level entirely.

Back on earth, I vote for 'Heaven Knows',. If we're talking albums rather than specific songs, I vote for the 'Donna Summer' album that Quincy Jones produced (and which she found difficult to do), or all the SAW tracks.

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2020 1:08 PM

Just hope there's a studio version of this in her unreleased vault. Nights In White Satin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2020 1:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!