Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends, is this house worth moving to Jersey?

And it's not Doug Wright the playwright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2020 3:08 PM

Wait, this Doug Wright is married . . . to a woman?!

(Maplewood is VERY bland, but well-heeled).

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2015 7:14 PM

The house is quite lovely (though it was hard to get a real layout with the photos). The decor and color schemes, on the other hand, were a fucking shanda!

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2015 7:20 PM

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2015 7:22 PM

What was with those tacky, horrible looking tye dyed bedspreads in each of the kid's bedrooms? They are hideous

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2015 8:49 PM

The boys don't get to pick their own wall art--it's dad's 40 year-old political cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2015 8:53 PM

I love it, except for the dining room wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2015 8:54 PM

I like the kitchen. I hate the granite/stainless look, and this is a nice antidote.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2015 8:59 PM

Yes. Gorgeous house.

You can dump the wallpaper and plexiglass chairs later.

(By and large, the interior is fine)

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2015 9:03 PM

Lovely old house. The decor is pretty haphazard. Those lucite chairs are terrible in the dining room. Some unfortunate bedroom color choices, but it looks comfortable and well loved. Do like the vintage kitchen, beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2015 9:50 PM

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate wallpaper?

Well, that room with the red flowered wallpaper is why I hate wallpaper. Horrible thing to do to a nice old house.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2015 10:33 PM

I hate wallpaper, too, R10. Take me to Paris and propose to me.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2015 11:43 PM

UIh, no. A most ordinary house with even more ordinary furnishings, some picked to be decorator items." A gay's idea of glamour. All very pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2015 12:06 AM

I am swooning over the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2015 1:27 AM

What do you like, R12?

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2015 1:28 AM

Property taxes in New Jersey are notoriously high. I can't even imagine what the taxes on that place would be.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2015 1:32 AM

Here are some more pics of the house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2015 10:32 PM

We've seen QUITE enough!

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2015 10:34 PM

The taxes were $29,256 last year (damn!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2015 10:34 PM

It's nice but Maplewood is next to Irvington and who needs that.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2016 5:18 PM

Taxes in Short Hills are in the $30,000.00 somethings and some if the property there is not so large.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2016 5:20 PM

I love it, especially the non-stainite kitchen. Hate the dining room wallpaper. And it's a nice shingle house in Maplewood, NJ. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2016 6:02 PM

The house is very average except for the wrap around porch, which is exceptional. The colors are singularly horrible, as is most of the decor, except for the dining room. And he went into interior design because architects weren't hiring and that's what he wanted to be. That's not really an advertisement for his business.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2016 6:09 PM

Other than the Lucite chairs I think it actually looks decent.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2016 6:14 PM

I hate the orange wallpaper in the DR even more than the lucite chairs.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2016 6:17 PM

[quote]The taxes were $29,256 last year (damn!)

Is THAT all?

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2016 6:21 PM

Paying those kind of taxes is the very definition of insanity.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2016 6:29 PM

Just two nights ago, R26, a friend literally begged me to get him out of Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2016 6:32 PM

Maplewood is where married gay NYers move when they want to go to the burbs. Lots of actors and other people in media/entertainment too. It's a very pretty area with a small town vibe that's about a half hour train ride from Manhattan.

At $1.33M that's got to be one of the most expensive houses in Maplewood as few houses there fetch over $1M.

The schools are what keep prices down. Maplewood has a large working class black area and while white actors and graphic designers have been buying some of those houses for $350K, the high school doesn't have the greatest reputation and has had gang issues.

Maplewood also suffers from being next door to Millburn, aka Short Hills, which is one of the wealthiest towns in America and has one of those high schools that constantly gets called out in "America's Top Public High Schools" articles. That same house in Short Hills would sell for over $3 or $4M, because of the school system.

(And yes, R5, I thought the same thing about the art in the boys room, but also possible the kid thought it was cool.)

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2016 7:55 PM

Known Doug since college, and he's always been gorgeous. Definitely straight, but doesn't mind being flirted with.

I love the kitchen and like his upstairs study -- and most of his rugs are quite good. I'm not a big fan of "country" furniture nor of mod stuff, so his combination of these doesn't thrill me. (I think his dining room stuff was bought a while ago back when shaker-ish furniture and Philippe Starck were both hot). Overall I think he plays it too safe.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2016 3:12 AM

The outside is different, unique and generally wonderful. The inside looks old and worn and tossed.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2016 4:07 AM

Agree he plays it too safe. Too curated for my tastes, not enough books.

At least the kids don't have posters all over the walls, I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2016 4:41 AM

That is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2020 1:53 PM

It's charming and homey, though a bit overdecorated. The Starck chairs in the dining room are jarring in that setting. That kitchen is a dream.

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2020 2:54 PM

Nothing is ever worth moving to Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2020 3:00 PM

I'll bet he stands by the front door and makes sure *everybody* takes their shoes off.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2020 3:08 PM

I guess I’m odd man out - I love it. Perfect traditional home. The all blue and all green rooms are too much for me. But overall the architecture and design are perfect for me. Traditional, tasteful, classic - with some modern hints. Incredible comfy “home”. Unlike so much interior design which is a theater stage set.

I would love to live in that house - not in NJ and not with those taxes though. I would go to CT instead. Better historic architecture, more land, lower taxes and much nicer towns.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2020 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!