Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is it men who don't even try look so good?

My friends all groom like crazy.

A lot of botox, fillers, surgery, hair dye etc. They think they look great and I think they look ridiculous.

When I go out and meet men my own age, they are all groomed to the max, careful ensembles, hair that does not move etc. I don't want to date a plastic man.

Thus I have a huge man crush on a straight guy. I go to this restaurant and cream every time the chef comes out to say hello. He wears a stained T shirt, his hair is a mess from the hat, but I can see the muscles below the messy shirt. When I found out his age I was floored, his grandson was visiting.

I asked him what he does..."Shave most days, comb my hair when we go out, and I brush my teeth."

No moisturizers, no fillers, no fakerey.

Why is the guy who does not try so much hotter than the primped and preened peacocks of the gay world.

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2020 1:52 AM

You seem as obsessed with surface details as your friends.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2015 12:42 PM

A lot of the men who "try" do things that undermine attractive masculinity, such as messing with their eyebrows, tanning, wearing feminine clothes, and unmanly hairstyles.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2015 12:43 PM

R2 That makes sense.

So many neither look nor smell like men anymore. The perfume is a huge turn off.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2015 12:45 PM

Either these type men end up being effeminate, or garish and tacky. Both are unattractive

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2015 12:58 PM

I'd be satisfied if uncut guys learned to wash properly

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2015 1:00 PM

75% of men out there who have plastic surgery end up looking like my great aunt Sheila. 'Doll, its not pretty"!

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2015 1:04 PM

Wow, OP. You need to get out more and meet a different class of gay man. Do you live in Southern California or South Florida? I'm 46 and none of my gay male friends are as plucked and processed as you describe. One in his mid-30s just went gray and he's keeping it natural. We've had discussions and the general consensus on body hair is that naturally smooth or naturally hairy are both superior to any shaving or waxing. 1/3 of us have some form of facial hair and shaving (facial) is pretty optional most days. We are not slobs but we wear mostly t shirts and jeans or shorts on our off hours; for dressier occasions its dress pants and a nice button down and we all own suits, but casual clothes are just that: casual, and unaffected.

I use a drugstore moisturizer/sunscreen on my face and that plus a decent regular haircut are the extent of my "beauty regimen," outside of soap and water and oral hygiene of course. We all have "hair that moves." Mine gets downright messy with a good wind. I run my fingers through it to get it off my face and move on with my day. I cannot stand touching a man's hair and feeling crunchy hair product. If I ever get plastic surgery it will be to tighten my aging turkey neck and that's it. No Botox and absolutely no "fillers." I want my face to look like a face and not a catcher's mitt.

Your friends truly suck. Why are you friends with them? They sound shallow beyond all belief.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2015 1:12 PM

Obviously some people don't need product and some people do.

It's no surprise you are attracted to people that don't.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2015 1:21 PM

I live in NY.

Go to any bar or nightclub and the 'look' is the same. Oh yes there is some facial hair, but even that is so carefully done.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2015 1:23 PM

I cut my own hair with my FLOWBEE.

Have for years. Always get compliments.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2015 1:26 PM

Oh R9 we all know "the look." It exists outside of NY and LA. We just don't all subscribe to it and we certainly aren't all attracted to it.

I only like the clean cut look on young men. I like guys my own age to have at least some stubble; facial hair hides flaws like sagging skin better than any plastic surgeon. And shiny hair is just gross on a man.

"Some people need product and some don't?" That's a weird take. We're saying guys need to tone the product down. Less is more for men.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2015 1:29 PM

Why the need to announce the guy you think is hot is "straight" OP?

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2015 1:30 PM

Why do I get the feeling if OP met a groomed straight man, he'd have no issue?

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2015 1:33 PM

Shiny hair?

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2015 1:37 PM

Good point, r13. The glaring non-mention that there are actual gay men who don't groom to excess is another tell that this OP has a few screws loose. A very warped perception of the world at least.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2015 1:38 PM

There is a big difference between guys who want to look good vs what OP describes in terms of extreme botox/plastic surgery, etc.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2015 1:42 PM

R13 not true, I hate the Metrosexual look some straight men adopt.

Just as phony.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2015 1:47 PM

It's formally known as "the wet look", R14, and informally known as "greasy hair" or "too much product." While it looks good in a fashion layout it usually feels terrible in real life, and looks bad on most men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2015 1:48 PM

Farm boys and Cowboys own this thread.

There is just something so natural and easy about those types of guys, that would put any runway model to shame.

I'm with you, op. No primping and plucking for me. All natural, all the way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2015 1:55 PM

Here the good news OP: no one says you have to date the groomed gay guys. You are braking up the wrong tree though if you start crushing on slobby het men. Maybe you need to check out the bear scene.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2015 1:58 PM

Yee haw!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2015 1:58 PM

^ barking..

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2015 1:58 PM

You are right that bears don't groom, or pay any attention to calorie consumption.

Obese bearded men are their own turn off.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2015 2:03 PM

This is just another troll thread saying that gay men are not hot and straight men are hot.

I'll just FF it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2015 2:04 PM

R10 in younger days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2015 2:07 PM

R24 not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2015 2:07 PM

Not all bears are obese or even overweight. And there are otters too, and plenty of gay men of every body type who dress and groom in an understated and masculine way.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2015 2:11 PM

Fill me in then R26.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2015 2:22 PM

you're full of shit - i don't believe one word of this post

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2015 2:24 PM

STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2015 2:28 PM

OP is channelling Drew Droege.

"Chef, your beauty transcends that hobo look you're rocking - the messy hair, the fryolater parfume, the soiled clothes. What's your secret?"

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2015 2:31 PM

[quote]Thus I have a huge man crush on a straight guy. I go to this restaurant and cream every time the chef comes out to say hello. ......I asked him what he does..."Shave most days, comb my hair when we go out, and I brush my teeth."

Wee bit forward, OP? Creeper.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2015 2:43 PM

He can be as forward as he likes, R32. It's his fantasy, after all.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2015 2:44 PM

All I do is fix my unibrow about once a month.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2020 5:02 PM

I think it's this - men who seem to just throw on some jeans and a baseball cap don't seem as stuffy as those who are groomed to perfection. Would you want to date Joan Crawford? It's like seeing a guy who clearly works out for hours in the gym every day. That kinda turns me off, because it usually means he's more into himself than anyone else. How will we spend time together if he's at the gym for 3 hours every day?

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2020 5:35 PM

Self loathing seems to be the theme of the 2015 threads that bump queen is resurrecting today.

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2020 5:59 PM

Ordinarily I'd raise an (unplucked!) eyebrow at whomever is bumping these Obama era threads, but given most of the new threads lately are about Trump's every fucking utterance, or where to find those oh so precious disinfectant wipes at 5am online, I guess I am not complaining.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2020 9:15 PM

All men should stay away from botox and fillers; they're designed for women's faces, and they don't even look good on *them.*

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2020 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!