Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Brit's View of American Health Care System

Martin Schmalenbach · Shebbear College

All - I'm a Brit & grew up in a universal single-payer healthcare system and my wife worked within it for a number of years. We now live in the USA, and have seen close up how the US system works.

Simply demanding a universal, single payer system does not solve the problems. There are aspects of the US system that work so much better than the system in the UK. We should take the best of both, and I think the core of this comes down to how things are funded, more than making sure there is enough in the budget each year.

For example, because here in the US healthcare is first and foremost an industry, there are inherent meachanisms for proving a good level of resources of all kinds - without them a healthcare provider is potentially missing out on business! The upside from a patient perspective is that waiting times are lower, and that can have a huge impact on recovery - especially for trauma cases. The downside is that healthcare providers see plenty of incentive for keeping a patient in hospital and/or under treatment, perhaps beyond the point where treatment is medically needed. In the UK, because keeping a patient in hospital longer does not bring in more money, there is an incentive to release patients sooner. To avoid the mistake of releasing a patient too soon, there are penalties to be paid if a patient has to come back too soon after being released. But resource levels are severely stretched in many places.

I was in a car accident 18 months ago - nothing severe for any of the folks involved. I was seen very quickly, especially once the hospital realised this was an insurance job - I had good car & health insurance etc. I quickly got X-Rays and CT scans and after 3.5 hours was released. The bill, before discounts etc (of which there were none in the end, because the other party's car insurer was paying everything - the other driver ploughed in to the back of us at speed when we were stopped at a red traffic light...) - the bill was just over $16,400.

$16,400 for some scans. And $178 for a neck brace I wore for 30 minutes. I was seen by 3 doctors, only one of whom treated me. The other 2 each charged $1000 approx for looking at my charts and taking my pulse etc. I know hospitals are expensive to build & run. I looked in to that. I could find financial justification for less than 1/2 of that $16K bill. The rest clearly is price gouging. Oh, and this is also why car insurance here in the US is ridiculously expensive compared to back home in the UK (not helped by the fact that folks in the US are 2x more likely to be in a car accident than in the UK)

So let's see about taking the best of both systems and building a truly excellent, universal healthcare system. That really would be something to shout about!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 1:49 AM

The same problem with the US health care system was apparent in the 1940s. What did a more liberal Congress and president do? They tripled the number of medical schools. That's why in the sixties and seventies our fee for service system was not intolerably expensive: doctors and nurses were plentiful. But since then the medical community has worked very hard to keep the number of professionals down and their incomes UP. So now the public is seriously under-served, and the only reason there are not long wait times is that many cannot afford to get any treatment.

It is a testament to the control of the political system by the medical community that when Obama proposed a modest increase in medical education, it didn't go very far. But there clearly is a problem that most people who wish to be doctors can never hope to be.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2015 3:20 PM

Never knew that R1. Great post.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2015 3:53 PM

Dude doesn't understand how insurance works...

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2015 4:29 PM

He didn't pay anything, but he's right it was a big ripoff. American medicine is a big ripoff, chiefly because Medicare pays outrageous fees for things like ICU rent.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2015 6:18 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2015 2:42 AM

Nobody gives a shit what a Brit thinks about America.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2015 3:42 AM

[quote]Shebbear College

This sounds like a lesbian school.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2015 4:20 AM

Rare to hear this perspective. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!