Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deathtrap

I watched this movie again last night and after Robert Osborn's quote from Michael Caine I headed over to IMDB to read the trivia. What I found was interesting and sadly indicative of the times:

[quote]According to separate interviews with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve, they had hesitations regarding the filming of the infamous "kissing" scene. Once they decided to go through with it they both consumed large amounts of alcohol in order to keep themselves calm and drunk enough that they'd do anything anyone asked them to do. Caine reportedly later regretted the scene and vowed to never film another homosexual sequence. To this day he never has.

[quote]Christopher Reeve once said of the gay love scene with Michael Caine in this movie: "We kiss on the mouth. We handle it straight on. But I hope that audiences will not over-focus on the homosexual aspects of a thriller."

[quote]Some mild controversy erupted with the on-screen gay kiss between straight actors Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. This scene did not appear in the Ira Levin source play of the same name. According to the book 'The Celluloid Closet ' by Vito Russo, Christopher Reeve said that this scene was booed by preview audiences in Denver, Colorado, USA. Moreover, apparently a 'Time' magazine expose revealed the gay kiss story element plot twist which cost the movie an estimated US $10 million in box-office receipts.

Today we have straight actors desperate for gay roles yet doing everything they can to make sure people know they are not at all gay, (I'm looking at you Tom Hardy.)

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 2:52 AM

I remember seeing the kiss when the movie came out. I was not familiar with the play. I was a totally unexpected twist which WOOWed everyone in the movie house. I don't recall anyone hating that twist of plot at the time, but it sure caught audiences off guard. But ended up always wondering about Christopher Reeve's sexuality at the time.

Too bad about how Michael Caine handled the scene. I would have thought he was a big enough actor to handle it in a professional manner.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2015 9:04 PM

Reeve was a closet case but I can still understand why he'd be uncomfortable kissing Michael Caine (yucky)

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2015 9:04 PM

Even before that movie the tabs were printing that therewere rumors Reeve was gay.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2015 9:09 PM

Homophobic movie played by homophobic actors, one of whom was festeringly ugly.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2015 9:57 PM

I didn't know Michael Caine was such a cunt. Besides being more professional, I thought he was more open-minded. It's acting. All the other the shit these nuts do to get into a role, but kissing someone of the same sex is what will push someone over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2015 10:05 PM

The gay kiss in question. They didn't do so bad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 2:41 AM

I know, I was so grossed out when I had to kiss a guy in Six Degrees of Separation. As a straight man, the gay stuff is so gross to me!

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 2:43 AM

I saw Interview with the Vampire in a theater in Nashville when it was released. The almost-kiss between Banderas and Pitt was met with a shriek and “ewww” — the only reaction through the entire film. Not a peep when they turned the little girl.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 2:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!