Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Serena Williams is the sorest loser

Serena Williams is the worst kind of loser — the one who wants to bask in the adulation of an adoring media when she wins, then acts put out when she has to answer to the same press after she loses. Look up to Serena for her athleticism, for her power, for her courage, for her tenacity and for being the greatest female athlete of a generation. But don’t look up to her sportsmanship. It’s her weakest link. Everyone has them.

Serena is 44-3 at the U.S. Open since 2008, a mark which includes four dominant title wins. But those three losses are all memorable in their own way: In the 2009 semifinal, Serena was down 4-6, 4-5, 15-30 against Kim Clijsters when she was called for a foot fault on a second serve. Set into a rage, Serena menacingly stared down the linejudge who made the call and said “I’m going to take this ball and shove it down your [expletive] throat” among other sentiments.

After a brief discussion with the chair, Serena was assessed a point penalty (she had already had one violation in the match) and that point gave the match to Clijsters.

Fast forward two years to Serena’s next U.S. Open (injury caused her to miss the 2010 event). She was down a set and a break (notice a pattern?) to Sam Stosur in the final when she appeared to save a break point at 0-2, 30-40 in the second set. But chair umpire Eva Asderaki called Serena for hindrance — she had yelled “come on” when Stosur still had a realistic chance to make a return. (The hindrance call was correct. The foot fault was — debatable.)

Some of the best quotes from her multiple tirades to the chair:

• “Are you the one who screwed me over last time?” (She wasn’t.)

• “If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you’re out of control, you’re out of control. You’re a hater and you’re just unattractive inside.”

• “You get a code violation because I express who I am. We’re in America last I checked.”

• “‘Really, don’t even look at me. I promise you don’t look at me because I am not — don’t look my way.”

She’d go on to lose in straight sets and, despite being on probation from the 2009 incident, only received a paltry $2,000 fine — or exactly 1/700th of the $1.4 million she earned at the Open that year.

Despite being given multiple opportunities to apologize over the years, Serena has refused to do so, except in the perfunctory way of apologizing to people who may have been offended, not directly to the persons who were certainly offended: the two women she threatened, however flippantly.

Those incidents were six and four years ago, respectively. Serena hasn’t had a similar outburst since and has warmed her image, making sure photographers see her with her dog Chip, at basketball games with new bestie Caroline Wozniacki and having tea with Kim Kardashian before the U.S. Open semifinal. These are all carefully choreographed media moments, intent on letting the world get to know the “real” Serena. And that’s fine. But life isn’t all about courtside seats and trips to the beach. Reality inevitability comes a-callin’.

So when Williams was upset at the U.S. Open on Friday, by an Italian journeywoman who didn’t even have betting odds on her before the tournament, she should give the press the time it deserves. The media fawns all over her, so the least she can do is reciprocate when there’s a big story at hand. Instead, Serena blew them off, going on for about three minutes in press before cutting off questions, ending her own interview and leaving the National Tennis Center.

Roger Federer’s loss was just as crushing and he takes questions in three languages. Vinci speaks broken English and handled questions with aplomb. Serena barely sat down long enough for her seat to get warm. Her sister, Venus, spoke four times as long after her quarterfinal loss to her sister than Serena did after her loss. (Take a note on how to lose with class from Vee, Serena.)

Full article in the link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2020 2:46 PM

She lost all my respect at USO '09 and turned me into a hater at USO '11. In addition to the innocent line judges and chair umpires she abused, she also owes a big fat apology to Clijsters and Stosur, who were unfairly caught in the middle and had all their hard earned spotlight taken from them by someone's gigantic ego.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2015 7:35 PM

My mom asked me if Serena was a male to female transgender.

(She watches The Bold and The Beautiful.)

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2015 7:38 PM

Serena only lost because the other girl played better.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2015 7:44 PM

It's probably why I prefer Venus.. along with Li Na she's been the classiest female player in the game in a very long time. Nice to have a good combo of talent AND grace, but i'm sure Serena isn't crying into her millions about it. It's not effecting her endorsements or anything, and it doesn't make her any less of a powerhouse player.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2015 7:53 PM

[quote]So when Williams was upset at the U.S. Open on Friday, by an Italian journeywoman who didn’t even have betting odds on her before the tournament, she should give the press the time it deserves.

The press "deserves" nothing. I hate those interviews where members of the press repeatedly ask the same questions. Serena lost, a non-entity won. End of story. Did the press not see it happen?

How did it feel to lose, Serena? It was the highlight of my day. Go away now.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2015 7:59 PM

That non-entity who beat Serena certainly has an entity now, R5.

Yes, the post-match interviews are a bit stupid but that's part of playing on the pro tour. Everyone does them. Tennis on any level requires good sportsmanship. Serena doesn't have it and while that may not be costing her now it will cost her over the course of her career.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2015 8:09 PM

Not a dumb question R2

Serena's infamous racket smash from the 2013 Australian Open:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2015 8:17 PM

Please! Serena's outbursts are nothing. Amateur!

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2015 8:40 PM

My relationship, as a long time tennis fan, with Serena is really complicated. I used to root fiercely for her, thought that she was an amazing thing to happen to women's tennis when she first burst on the scene but that really soured as the years went on and the incidents with other players, line judges, etc, started to get more frequent and more dramatic in nature. I can even sympathize with players abusing rackets and hurling expletives (but not at other people) since that level of intensity is needed to play at the top level and, sometimes, the calm facade will crack in the face of frustration. On the other hand, I've met some people who were involved with the WTA tour and had interactions with most of the top players and, based on what I heard, Serena would be one of very few players who I'd want to hang out with at a party. I understand that talking to the press after such an upset is tough but she is a professional and interacting with journalists partially pays for the prize money which she is perfectly willing to accept, so, yes, you can make it clear at the beginning of the press conference that you're rather upset and that your answers will be affected by that, but be a professional and do your job. You're no longer a 16 year old, who doesn't know the ropes of being a top tennis player.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2015 9:13 PM

She cheats...all that straining and grunting. Now they all do it, but she and her sister started it...it's a distraction and a cheat.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2015 9:19 PM

When McEnroe did this spoiled, abusive tennis brat shtick, I disliked him for it. When Serena does it, I dislike her for it.

I have no interest in this kind of silly, sub-adult behavior.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2015 9:20 PM

Never could stand the media whore bitch. If she would've focused on her tennis more than her media whore ways maybe she would've won. Made my day too when the cunt lost.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2015 9:24 PM

R11 Even McEnroe never said anything a tenth as vicious as what Serena said to the umpires and the line judges, and yet he's still remembered as the biggest jerk in tennis.

That's why I can't stand the people who cry racism every time someone criticizes Serena, when in fact it's the color of skin that's helped her to get away with murder all these years.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2015 9:49 PM

R2 I don't get the TBTB connection?

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2015 11:42 PM

She's a cunt, but a very talented cunt.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2015 12:35 AM

I truly believe she's on steroids, and has been for many years. She always manages to get out of the drug tests one way or another. I've been watching women's tennis since Virginia Wade and Margaret Court (and men since Rod Laver), and Serena and her behavior has done terrible harm to the woman's side. I've watched women's tennis since i was (probably) 12, and I stopped watching it probably about 10 years ago, certainly partly because Serena ruined the game for me.

I'll be happy when Serena retires -- and she'll probably drop dead from some steroid-related medical issue shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2015 1:04 AM

All that low, soft talking is such a farce. It's calculated to make her appear sweet and feminine when that same mouth screams "Yes Bitch Yes" right at her opponent. One didn't even need the audio to make that out. Anyone who has watched her over the years can see that it's an act. Her PR people may have worked this out for her new followers but not if you've watched her (supposedly) mature over the years. She's so fucking wealthy and my fear is that she'll NEVER retire. She'll never want to give up the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2015 1:06 AM

I think she fucks Drake with her steroidy clit

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2015 1:09 AM

She's a diva!

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2015 1:28 AM

[quote]In the 2009 semifinal, Serena was down 4-6, 4-5, 15-30 against Kim Clijsters when she was called for a foot fault on a second serve. Set into a rage, Serena menacingly stared down the linejudge who made the call and said “I’m going to take this ball and shove it down your [expletive] throat” among other sentiments.

I hate that this match is remembered for this reason. I was a huge Clijsters fan and was ecstatic when she came back. The match was one of those where it wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Clijsters was dominant and thoroughly dismantled Serena. I hate that there are still some Serena fans out there who think the foot fault and subsequent default are the reasons she lost.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2015 2:01 AM

I've never been a Serena fan because I always thought she was a bad sport. I loved it when chair umpire Eva Asderaki put Serena in her place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2015 2:12 AM

"A bad sport?" That's putting it mildly. She's a rude, nasty, cunty bitch. I've lost count of the times she's behaved atrociously. Maybe it's "roid rage." She looks like she's addicted to steroids, and acts like it.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2015 2:16 AM

Oh, and Serena's tacky outfits are another reason I don't like her.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2015 2:17 AM

have strahan and serena ever been seen at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2015 2:24 AM

Chase Bank decided to make her a spokesmodel and put her cutout all over the drive-thru. Why?! I can not think of a less appealing celebrity to glob on to, with or without the record win the US championship would have given her. Oh wait, maybe Cosby. But still -- "Welcome to the bank for steroidy ass hat sore losers!" So very inviting!

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2015 2:38 AM

Eh she's probably the best women's tennis player of all time. Definitely the best of her generation (I feel bad for Sharapova who is very talented and would otherwise be the best of her generation if she wasn't in the same generation as the best of all time). So that compensates for her lack of sportsmanship PR wise. Also R25 its dumb to compare being cunty with being a serial rapist.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2015 2:43 AM

Did she have a load in her pink diaper in the semi-final?

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2015 2:45 AM

R25. the argument that has been going on the last five years is that Serena is best athlete and most accomplished therefore deserves to get the big sponsorships.

Chase, Pepsi, Delta and Audemars Piguet has been her biggest sponsors to date.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2015 3:08 AM

Those outbursts in the Vinci match were over the top and laughable, Sometimes, I beleive it's an intimidation tactic on her part.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2015 3:14 AM

I agree with the theory that its roid rage

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2015 4:13 AM

R26 Lmao, Sharapova is not a particularly talented player, at all. Her techniques are ugly as seen, her movement is atrocious, and she has no variety whatsoever. Her only weapon really is her mental toughness. Besides, it's not like she would've won that many more slams without Serena. She has only played Serena like six or seven at the slams in her entire career. In comparison, poor Azarenka has already played Serena like a dozen times at the slams in a much shorter timespan.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2015 12:48 PM

You can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the girl.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2015 1:15 PM

I know nothing about her or her sister... so someone explain this to me. Serena is a raging, awful, sore loser, cunt but her sister Venus shows grace and sportsmanship? How does that happen?

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2015 2:13 PM

The way she treated Naomi Osaka, and then acted like the victim, was despicable. This woman is an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2020 1:50 PM

She has big clit face.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2020 2:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!