Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gay Age Gap Is Real — And It’s Annoying As Hell

If you’re of a certain age — let’s say you were alive when Star Wars was first released in theaters — you’ve probably been deep in a spirited pop culture-related conversation only to have some whippersnapper ask something like “Who’s Gena Rowlands?” or “What’s Rosemary’s Baby?” or, most criminal of all, “Who is John Waters?” That what happens in this video when a gay guy (comic master Sam Pancake) and an obnoxious young queen (rising funny man Brian Jordan Alvarez) are having a chit-chat that quickly devolves into heated conversation about cultural reference points. It’s comedy, but, you know, with a very important message and reminds us that great sex helps overcome almost any obstacle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 11, 2022 7:46 AM

The "gay" age gap? It is just an age gap. People from different generations are likely to have different pop culture reference points, no shit.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2015 11:41 PM

You say Katy Perry, I say Cher.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2015 11:44 PM

I had a twink come back at me with "Who's Jimi Hendrix?"

I still blew him, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2015 11:50 PM

Ugh, go promote your shit elsewhere, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2015 11:58 PM

I have a really fun open minded handsome dude at the gym and he's 27 flirts with me constantly at the gym and I'm 42 look younger AND he actually was changing the other day the same time I arrived and he took off his underwear changing to gym clothes and he actually shook his body resulting in his cock-balls to shake catching me looking at him done on purpose I suppose-hell yea...10 seconds or so long stare then he winked ;) It was a HOT exchange and moment! Can't wait till next time...who knows? He's discussed music groups with me that I didn't know vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2015 12:53 AM

He's an attention whore, darlin'

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2015 12:55 AM

Wasn't this done back in the 90s when the movie Jeffrey came out? Patrick Stewart and Bryan Batt?

"Who's Martha Stewart?"

"She writes picture books about gracious living."

"Who's Ann Miller?"

"Leave this house."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2015 12:57 AM

R6 fine with me...it's fun while it lasts no harm all good...even having drinks after the gym next Monday fucker! That's a Virgo for ya...his sign ;)

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2015 12:59 AM

When I was a kid, Mad Magazine (will that start a kerfuffle?) did a spread on this -- he wanted to take a cruise to acopolco and she wanted to go to Disneyland.

Then they fought over what "records" to play on the "hi-fi" -- Sinatra or the Stones.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2015 1:01 AM

About age gap, yeah obviously it's real. We have now 10 year old kids who are getting into pop and have no idea who Lady Gaga is. That's just life.

The video was funny and Alvarez is fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2015 1:15 AM

I really hope that youtube doesn't lead to public acceptance of echoey sound, natural lighting and comedy that isn't that funny.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2015 1:17 AM

It was like the episode of Project Runway when Tim told the contestant his outfit was to costumey and too "Sgt. Pepper" and he asked "What's Sgt. Pepper?" Tim did a major "Oh Dear!"

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2015 1:21 AM

9 year old have iPhones in NYC....do you all believe that!?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2015 1:23 AM

R6 and straight...maybe straight to my bed someday ;)

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2015 1:27 AM

Everything I needed to know about the generation gay, I learned from Here's Lucy -- it was the subject of 2/3 of the episodes.

I know: "What's a Here's Lucy?"

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2015 1:39 AM

In a UK 'Big Brother', a guy in early midlife said to camp young Brian, (eventual winner): 'How can you not know who the first man on the moon was?'

Brian's unbothered reply: 'Well, I never done history.'

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2015 6:55 AM

I'd say it was a Millennial thing but there's clueless 40 and 50 and 60 year olds out there, too.

I don't understand pride in being ignorant and not having any interest in knowing ANYTHING prior to your existence because you can't be bothered.

Doesn't mean you have to be an expert but having some sort of knowledge about topics of general interest over say, at least the preceding 100 years just makes you an interesting well rounded person.

I'm gonna start slapping 26 year olds who respond with "Oh, that was before I was born" every time they're clueless about anything prior to 1990 or so....

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2015 7:06 AM

I agree that these little ignoramuses should be ashamed, and I'm gonna start calling them out on it. When I was growing up in the 80s, I definitely knew what had gone on the previous 50 years, and appreciated a lot of pop culture that predated my existence.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2015 7:19 AM

Gena Rowlands and whatever was the movie was pretty obscure. People in their 20s know a good amount of 80s music, which would be expected for many generations to come.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2015 7:30 AM

I'm in love with R17!

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2015 9:03 AM

After finding out I had been to Paris and Rome, I had a twink tell me, "I never want to go anyplace old and dirty."

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2015 11:07 AM

[quote]I had a twink tell me, "I never want to go anyplace old and dirty."

Oh, they often say that, at first...

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2015 11:22 AM

On an episode of 'Celebrity Name Game," over 40 actress Constance Marie gave a bunch of great clues: beautiful, raven haired actress, violet eyes, was married to Richard Burton, starred in Cleopatra, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, White Diamonds... the female contestant who looked older than 25 just stared at her blankly. Constance continued, old time actress, she was in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?... The contestant shot back, "Susan Sarandon?" I couldn't believe me ears.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2015 11:42 AM

What a horrible, stupid and not funny video.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2015 12:07 PM

You're right. This video COULD help people overcome any obstacle. I know it helped me. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2015 12:35 PM

We are born young and ignorant. Time usually cures both.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2015 1:01 PM

Do you really have to talk to a guy before you fuck him? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2015 1:04 PM

Most pop culture is disposable. It should be enjoyed in its time, then dropped down the memory hole, never to be seen or heard again.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2015 1:13 PM

Back in olde tymes we all carried lunch boxees and painted the interiors pink.

A subtle *clop*clop*clickety* of the thermos lid meant Sirk conversations were forbidden and we'd discuss Jayne Mansfield's left breast. It confused the straighties and We'd go back to building bridges.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2015 1:42 PM

I wouldn't expect anyone in their 20s to know who Gena Rowlands is. She was never a huge star, and she's been off the radar for a long time.

It's not like Meryl Streep or Cher.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2015 3:02 PM

[quote]Gena Rowlands and whatever was the movie was pretty obscure.

Nope, sorry. Cassavetes is worshipped by a substantial subset of millennials (gay & straight), as are Rowland's performances in his films.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2015 3:06 PM

There are many sister in their 20s who are Judy Garland fans......so all is not lost.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2015 3:13 PM

Since legacy went, 'Turn in your gay card' is no longer a gentle reproof. Back in the (good old) day, Rowlands and Cassavetes, if not entry level requirement, were surely mandatory beyond probation. I mean, the twink in the clip might at least have shown willing.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2015 3:29 PM

I have a large circle of acquaintances and several very good friends. The vast majority of them can talk about culture, politics, art and science from the present back to the 15th century. There have always been and will always be people who have no interest in knowing anything about anything.

We get to choose our friends. If you want to talk to people who can switch from a conversation about the Franco-Prussian War to Sonic Youth to ◾Chigozie Obioma, get to work and choose your friends carefully.

You'll still be around idiots all the time, but when you spend time with people you choose to be with, you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2015 3:39 PM

R23 are you Irish? I do that all the time -- type me instead of my; I think it's because I'm Irish.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2015 3:58 PM

[quote]When I was growing up in the 80s, I definitely knew what had gone on the previous 50 years, and appreciated a lot of pop culture that predated my existence.

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2015 4:07 PM

[quote]“Who is John Waters?"

You will die a virgin if you ask this question.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2015 4:21 PM

Thanks the Mommie Dearest, Joan Crawford and Faye Dunaway will forever be known to gays. Watching it is a rite of passage.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2015 4:45 PM

[quote]“Who is John Waters?"

[quote]You will die a virgin if you ask this question.

Oh dear, gramps. You seriously think the average gay guy under 30 gives a fuck about John Waters?

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2015 4:50 PM

Gramps? I'm 32, R39, and you're an ageist.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2015 5:09 PM

R38, there's an entire world of gay guys who have no knowledge of Mommie Dearest, and no interest in the pantheon of old stereotypical gay icons. Do you use a foot-long cigarette holder as well?

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2015 5:44 PM

We already had a thread about gaybros, R41.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2015 5:46 PM

Gay experience is different for everyone. I'm 40+ and the only films I've seen from Waters are some of his mainstream ones. I of course know who he is and appreciate him a lot. I did love Divine's songs when I was a teen growing up in the 80s and through that I became aware of Waters.

I saw Mommie Dearest the first time last year and I can't say I was too impressed. I don't really feel it's got anything to do with being gay. I've never understood why Joan Crawford is supposed to be a gay icon, I hadn't even realized it until noticing it at Datalounge. Same goes with Judy Garland. A straight buddy of mine told me I'm a bad gay since I had never seen Wizard of Oz (I still haven't). Streisand as a gay icon is a weird concept to me.

Gay icons to me growing up were people like Boy George (and Jon Moss), not women from decades ago. Although that said I just remembered that as a teen I was obsessed with Marilyn Monroe for a while. I read couple of her biographies and felt a strong connection with her although partly it came from her being represented as an abused and damaged person with a fragile soul. I sort of felt I was a bit like that myself but on top of that I felt a need to protect her. (And BTW I'm not the Marilyn loon troll.) I guess she was my icon in a way but that was long time ago. I have loved strong women in fiction like Modesty Blaise, Nikita and such, and I absolutely love some female artists like Kate Bush but I've never really thought they are gay icons to me, nor do I think they are part of the gay experience, although Kate Bush's Kashka From Baghdad is one of the most beautiful songs of gay love I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2015 5:51 PM

R41, if repeating yourself weren't allowed, R42, DL would have 3 active topics a year.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2015 5:55 PM

Hey Nineteen

That's 'Retha Franklin

She don't remember

The Queen of Soul

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2015 6:01 PM

And thank you R41 for getting it. No every gay guy must certainly does not watch those movies as a rite of passage. Some of you guys are so delusional.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2015 6:01 PM

I want to fuck Brian Jordan Alvarez into next Monday! He has a video where he wears just a cock sock on Youtube!

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2015 7:26 PM

How DARE younger gays not know and worship the likes of Alice Faye! What is wrong with the world?

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2015 7:41 PM

The undergays are not only ignorant, they're deliberately so, and proud of it!

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2015 7:49 PM

Im a mid 30's gay when I fuck late teens early twenties twinks I don't know shit about their pop culture. I just talk about sports if they are gay bros. Or drugs/booze clothes etc. Then I shove my thick cock in their mouth if they are too talkative that shuts them up. My thick meaty cock pounding their asshole shuts them up too. They can't talk anymore, well they can but they sound like they are mentally retarded. BOOM! My meat is banging out their twinkie holes. Twink can't talk only go Deeerrrrrrrrrpppp! Uhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhh uhhhh gaaaaaa uhhh ohhh uh ughmmmmpfff ohhhhhhh gaaaaawwwwwwwddddddd.

Why would an older accomplished gay have any interest in a 18-24 gay other than an erotic interest? My only interest in them is how fast I can get my cock into their mouths/assholes. You really don't have to talk to them to get them to let you fuck them. Show them your muscled body or cock in the gym/grindr ad. Young twinks love dominant muscle tops in their 30's. Let your body do the talking or if you are old or fat let your $$$ do the talking. A gay in his 30's talking teeniebopper pop culture with some twink trying to get laid or seem young is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2015 8:03 PM

R47 And you couldn't be bothered to post a link?

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2015 9:21 PM

"Chigozie Obioma"

What the fuck is that and why should we talk about it?

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2015 10:06 PM

Why are so many gay YouTubers such mincing flamers? Like watching fucking blackface.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2015 10:14 PM

Undergays are the new Steppin' Fetchit.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2015 10:15 PM

R31 = Marshall Gregson

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2015 11:00 PM

Life ended in 1989 according to DL.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2015 1:34 AM

As a young teen we believed that we were Judy Garland!

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2015 8:52 AM

Lots of 20somethings are aware of John Waters and not just gay ones. Pretty much anyone arty or freaky worships him as a patron saint...though, I'm guessing the SJW types are unhappy about his non-PC attitude. So far, no one has had the guts to try and call him out. I think the SJWs are scared of him.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2015 8:59 AM

If the sejubbiyas even try to go after Waters, this is what will happen to them:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2015 9:53 AM

If any forum could formulate The Gay Canon, in order to mitigate the gayge gap, it's DL. Some will say that it shouldn't be written down: that the cognoscenti pick it up, and that for example Sontag's 'Notes On Camp' (which would of course be in said Canon) spoiled the great insider joke. Still, the arguments could be fun.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2015 3:14 PM

The Video is stupid - And it's annoying as Hell.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2015 3:19 PM

There will be a time on DL when there are no more soap threads. The youngest people to get soap references are probably in their mid to late 30s right now.

by Anonymousreply 62April 18, 2020 5:42 PM

R7, I had forgotten how hilarious Patrick Stewart was in that movie. He should have won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 63April 18, 2020 5:59 PM

It's not a "gay age gap" but a broader commentary and indictment that younger people today don't pay attention or care about history about any kind, pop culture or otherwise.

This trend has gotten worse over the years where each successive group of high school and college people know less and less about American History, World History, Literature, Art History, and yes pop culture history.

The window for looking back and having any knowledge or awareness of people is also getting smaller.

by Anonymousreply 64April 18, 2020 6:11 PM

This happens with every generation. Not every pop culture reference from the previous generation is going to cross over to younger people. If I were talking with a twentysomething and they didn't know who Madonna was, for example, it would be pretty shocking. If they didn't know who Taylor Dayne or Jody Watley were, I would understand. Not everything stays relevant.

I remember when I was in my twenties and an older man referenced Ethel Merman I would know who he was talking about, but if he mentioned someone like Jo Stafford or Andy Williams I wouldn't really know who they were. He would have to explain it to me.

It happens with everyone.

by Anonymousreply 65April 18, 2020 6:59 PM

R65 the problem is the boomers are deeply narcissistic and think the pop culture they know about is the only pop culture that matters.

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Also OP, you should have posted this link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2021 7:28 PM

OP? We all know who Gena Rowlands is. She’s from The Notebook.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote] I really hope that youtube doesn't lead to public acceptance of echoey sound, natural lighting and comedy that isn't that funny.

When there is an ongoing thread about the TV show that enabled Kirk fucking Cameron to have a career, that last ship has sailed and crashed into an iceberg already.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote] The "gay" age gap? It is just an age gap.

Adult men are more likely to be tuned into/obsessed with pop culture if they’re gay. Straight guys are more likely to be obsessed with other things like sports, cars, guns, etc.

Straight guys don’t know who the fuck Gena Rowlands is no matter what age they are.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote] Why are so many gay YouTubers such mincing flamers? Like watching fucking blackface.

This is just mud on our faces; we’re not really black!

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 7:42 PM

I refuse to date anyone so dumb that they think that Sgt. Pepper is Dr. Pepper's father.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2021 7:49 PM

Or that Sgt. Susanne “Pepper” Anderson is his sister.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2021 7:52 PM

[quote] I refuse to date anyone so dumb that they think that Sgt. Pepper is Dr. Pepper's father.

He’s not his father, he’s his uncle!

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2021 7:55 PM

Whoever invokes Pepper has to wear her funky “undercover” hat for an entire day.

When she donned that hat, increasingly matronly Ms. Dickinson immediately looked street smart and of the criminal element.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2021 7:58 PM

The age gap narrows as people grow older. An eighteen year old has little in common with a thirty year old. But a forty year old and seventy year old can speak to each other on an equal level.

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2021 7:59 PM

OMG you stupid twats in recent posts. OP is DEAD!!! This is a 2015 thread!!! Brought to us by the 2015 BUMP TROLL extraordinaire (hideous sack of diseased shit) DEFECTO.

OMG you stupid twats in recent posts. OP is DEAD!!! This is a 2015 thread!!! Brought to us by the 2015 BUMP TROLL extraordinaire (hideous sack of diseased shit) DEFECTO.

by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2021 8:02 PM

R74 Maybe he's her father and her uncle!

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2021 8:05 PM

[quote] Maybe

[quote] maybe

Is that my cue?

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2021 8:19 PM

I don't know any current pop references. KPop, rap, CW shows, nada.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2021 11:10 PM

R80 me either 😞

by Anonymousreply 81March 4, 2021 6:44 PM

I've had conversations with younger gays who know nothing about the pop culture of my youth but still wanna tell me what the real story about it is. A close friend's husband tried to fill me in on Live Aid a few months ago. Fuck, I had no idea I was so misinformed all these years, even after not missing a single second of the original broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 82March 5, 2021 12:09 AM

R82 Wikipedia has been awful for society.

by Anonymousreply 83March 16, 2022 1:29 AM

I refuse to have anyone who doesn't know that the icon from my era, Theda Bara, was actually an anagram for Arab death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 16, 2022 1:57 AM

I took a date to see “A Woman Under the Influence”. This was like 1990. As we left the theater he was visibly upset and said that was his mother. That was our last date.

by Anonymousreply 85March 16, 2022 2:44 AM

My neighbor's hot grandson Ricardo was pounding my ass mercilessly, sending me to Bottom Heaven with each thrust and stroke, until I ruined the moment by shrieking:

"YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF LILY PONS?"

by Anonymousreply 86March 16, 2022 3:01 AM

I wear several rings. I noticed my 30 something date was eyeing them so I held them up, wiggled my fingers and said 'Liberace!" He smugly replied "That's in Italy."

by Anonymousreply 87March 16, 2022 3:10 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2022 5:46 AM

I don't see this as just a gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 89October 11, 2022 5:50 AM

The Queen of 2015 is at it again.

by Anonymousreply 90October 11, 2022 6:14 AM

Yep, Katherine The Great is on a bender.

by Anonymousreply 91October 11, 2022 7:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!