Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New pots and pans

I've had Calphalon for ten years and though I love them for skillets, they drive me crazy for almost everything else, since you can't wash them in the dishwasher or use metal tools with them.

I was thinking of buying just a new Calphalon skillet, but get everything else stainless steel. A good idea?

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2021 5:25 AM

I get why people get pots and pans made from other metals - even cooking and all.

But realistically, I have a lot bigger problems with my cooking than even heating.

Unless you cook well enough for it to truly matter, I doubt your selection makes as big a difference as cost, cleaning, and overall ease of use.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2015 7:00 PM

Yes. And All-Clad is not made in China, unlike Calphalon. The thing with Calphalon utensils such as tongs, graters, etc, is that their handles are made of some shitty rubber/plastic mix which will eventually start to melt if washed in a dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2015 7:00 PM

You don't need to lay out the ridiculous money for All-Clad. Buy Tramontina, check the reviews and the tests against All-Clad.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2015 7:05 PM

I am actually thinking of buying Cooks', which is cheaper than All-Clad and gets great reviews.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2015 7:06 PM

I like my All-Clad skillets and saucepans. I use AC for everything except eggs and fish, which I cook in non-stick by T-Fal. I don't know Cooks'.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2015 7:15 PM

If you want to talk to the truly obsessed, go to Chowhound's cookware discussion section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2015 7:18 PM

"When you buy the very best, you only wince once." ---- for me it's All Clad all the way.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2015 7:20 PM

Kitchen bottoms are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2015 7:23 PM

You know, OP, I've spent a lot of money on All Clad, and I've wondered if it was worth it. If Chefs at JC Penney is what R4 is talking about, I might be convinced to try if if I had it to do over again. It's just $129 for ten pieces of tri-ply cookware, which is about what you'd pay for one of the less expensive All-Clad pieces.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2015 7:24 PM

Here's a set of Cooks for $60.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2015 7:26 PM

Checking Chowhound is a good idea. They know their cookware shit.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2015 7:30 PM

Le Creuset is THE VERY BEST YOU CAN BUY! Versatile, dishwasher safe and you can use metal utensils without issue. They are costly however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2015 8:04 PM

I've used Le Creuset a lot, R12, and I don't like their frying pans or saucepans as much as tri-ply like All-Clad.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2015 8:06 PM

Jesus H. Who the fuck spends $850.00 on a pot and pan set.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2015 8:18 PM

And, because I am very broke...IKEA 365+ stainless, which I love. Well made, holds up well.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2015 8:28 PM

Who the fuck needs to buy "THE VERY BEST YOU CAN BUY!" when they're expensive, unless they're master chefs?

I never understand why Dataloungers are so obsessed with always having "THE VERY BEST" and most expensive things. Life is not a competition.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2015 1:34 AM

If you can afford to, one should always have the best.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2015 1:37 AM

Ok they are expensive but having Teflon flaking off or metal from using metallic utensils I am will to pay a bit more. Not to mention you don't have to hand wash le creuset are highly versatile and last a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2015 1:49 AM

Hit the shopping channel websites. Both HSN and EVine Live have high quality stuff at good prices. I've had a set of Wolfgang Puck stainless that is over 10 years old. Word of warning though - you shouldn't put stainless in the dishwasher either. It gets pitted. If properly seasoned it cleans easier than you'd think.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2015 1:50 AM

[quote] If you can afford to, one should always have the best.

Thank you for sharing, Mr. Trump, but I don't think everyone shares your values.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2015 2:23 AM

I think you only need 1 non-stick skillet for omelets and such. But fond does not develop in non-stick pan. For other frying, you need aluminum or stainless coated.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2015 2:29 AM

Costco/Kirkland sets got raves a few years back, but not sure if what they are carrying now is the same.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2015 3:18 AM

QVC non stick

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2015 3:37 AM

Tri-ply stainless is the best (like All-Clad.) I have the Tramontina knockoffs, and they're find. Also have some Le Creuset pieces, but I'd never put them in the dishwasher-- they have exposed cast iron rims. (I also have some Tramontina, Martha Stewart and JCPenney Le Creuset knockoffs.)

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2015 7:34 PM

find=fine

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2015 7:35 PM

I like my Cuisinart pots and pans just fine. I have a big Tramontina pot I use for stews, and it scorches too easily. I'd replace it except pots that size are expen $ive.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2015 2:21 AM

I have both Calphalon and Le Creuset. I prefer the Le Creuset but, my God, they are heavy. I'm not a weak guy, but trying to use a spatula to scrape the bottom into a serving bowl is impossible without help.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2015 3:59 AM

[quote]Life is not a competition.

You've been sadly misinformed on this matter, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2015 4:06 AM

Around Christmas last year I bought a set of Cuisinart ceramic non-stick pans, I am not happy with them. Although I only use wooden or plastic utensils, they are full of scratches and nicks with some small chunks of the ceramic coating gone. Total waste of money.

Last year I also bought a Tramontina cast-iron dutch oven at Sam's club and I love it! So today while I was there, I saw this Tramontina set on clearance for $25 so I thought I would give it a try. I have heard good things about Tramontina so I hope these work out, if I like them I will buy a full set as they are relatively inexpensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2015 4:01 AM

I don’t understand a word of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2021 1:41 AM

i needed an everyday fry pan too. I am going with cast iron. I like the performance and they are easy to clean.

I hate non stick (toxic). Ceramics fry pans are a BITCH to use and clean. I do have stainless steal and copper fry pans too, but I do not want to destroy them. They are EXPENSIVE.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2021 1:54 AM

The thing about the super-expensive stuff is that you don't need much of it. A Le Creuset Dutch oven is extremely versatile, Add a good saucepan, a good skillet, and you're good to go. I've never been fond of those large sets -odd-sized pans and "tools" you'll never use. Look at the pots, pans, and baking dishes that you use all the time -Those are the pieces that are worth upgrading.

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2021 1:55 AM

Buy Calphalon (or any brand) stainless steel if you want to use metal utensils otherwise use only nylon utensils for nonstick as recommended

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2021 3:18 AM

My Tramontina stainless steel was looking rough after about ten years of use but my parents were downsizing and I got all their Revereware. I replaced some handles, but the stuff is still in wonderful condition. I have a few Capholan nonstick pans, a small wok and some enamelware for canning/ making soups.

Le Creuset is expensive, rediculously heavy, and not worth the hype. The one piece I had went to a friend. My cast iron Dutch oven is ancient, but works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2021 3:44 AM

My Calphalon--the original restaurant stuff--is too damn heavy. I hate it. Le Creuset is good for dutch ovens, lasagna pans and casseroles--not everyday cooking, It will chip and you can send it back and get it replaced under the lifetime warrantee but who wants to do that? You need a nonstick pan for omelets. A seasoned blue steel pan for crepes. A stock pot for pasta and soup. A cast iron ridged pan for grilling. Get whatever you want for the saucepans, saute pan and frying pans. Yes, you do need that much.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2021 3:52 AM

Yeah, people get really defensive about their Le Creuset and Staub. I've never had either, but isn't it enameled cast iron? If so, you could get plain cast iron to save money.

I had my mom's Revereware for a long, long time. They served me well, but the large pot never really sat squarely on my coil burner.

I now use T-Fal. I don't blast the heat on it. It's lightweight and saves my hands and wrists from too much stress.

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2021 3:53 AM

Well, OP can give us a report on what they purchased and how the pots and pans have worked out for them, seeing as this thread is from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2021 4:13 AM

So ... I shouldn't be getting my kitchen stuff at Dollar Tree™?

by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2021 5:05 AM

Consuela! It’s for you. Bring Cook.

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2021 5:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!