Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When your father steals your identity

Dear Liz: I have been dating my boyfriend for about eight months and he recently told me that his dad took out a credit card in his name when he was a baby. He has about $150,000 in debt because of this! This is a very serious, life-changing crime but my boyfriend is reluctant to take his dad to court. I'm worried about our future together and don't know where to go from here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2020 1:56 AM

You need to run away from enablers faster than the people they enable.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2015 3:51 PM

Babies are now financially vulnerable, too.

Anchor babies.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2015 3:52 PM

The only thing worse is when your father steals your boyfriend...

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2015 3:59 PM

My mom has gotten credit cards in my sister's name. She tried to get one in my name as well last year, but I told them I hadn't applied for one.

Unfortunately nobody has had the heart to press charges.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2015 4:56 PM

It's criminal, I tell you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2015 5:25 PM

This same thing happened to a friend of mine from high school. Shortly after graduation when he had his first job, his father took out several credit cards in his name and ran up massive debt. He was lucky enough to get the majority of it wiped away.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2015 5:49 PM

If he hasn't done so, contact all three credit reporting agencies and tell them to freeze his credit and probably he should have an extended fraud alert as well. This should protect him going forward.

He should get his credit reports and contact each creditor and cancel each open account. You can get a free credit report from each agency once a year at annualreditreport.com. These do not require a credit or debit card to obtain, although there is some upselling going on. Just ignore those pitches and move on. The reports are truly free. Do not use freecreditreport.com because that is a semi-scam.

He may want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney. It is better to rip the band aid off all at once. If this is the route he has to go he c an start repairing his credit sooner than later. It is clear he can prove fraud because of the date his father obtained the credit.

Any parent who would do that deserves whatever comes his or her way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2015 5:52 PM

My family are thieves that did shit like that. I'm estranged from them now. Life is hard enough without your own family stealing from you. My parents stole about $20,000 from the college fund my grandfather set up for me. They gave me about $3,000 dollars and made me jump through hoops to get it. They are the epitome of white trash.

If your boyfriend still talks to his thieving father he probably has borderline personality disorder. He is an enabling cunt if he doesn't do anything about that shit.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2015 6:29 PM

U r funny, OP

We are supposed to read into this story that Economic Stealth Taking dad didn't really spend the money but the OP's Br did and is BSing the OP. We're supposed to say, "Run, OP" followed by 6 paragraphs of advice , including the stories of those DL posters who got themselves into ridiculous credit card debt.

I give it an 8.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2015 6:47 PM

Make that a 9. Though it's pretty transparent for old time DLers, it will be a highly successful post-generating thread and that is what matters.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2015 6:50 PM

Illegals use their anchor babies SSNs to get loans -- why not credit cards, too?

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2015 6:51 PM

I don't think I could breathe again if I were R8.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2015 6:53 PM

You have to do what you have to do...but I would walk out the door. If he Dad would steal from his own kid...what will he do to you? You better check your credit.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2015 6:55 PM

Such a cruel thing to do to a child. People like this shouldn’t have kids at all.

I had a co-worker whose daughter asked her, “When are we getting cable again?” And she (jokingly?) replies, “When are you getting a new social security number?”

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 4:37 PM

Hmmm this reminds me of something....Oh yeah a recurring plot in the show Shameless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2020 4:54 PM

The financial "expert" in the LA Times who replied isn't very smart. The son is NOT responsible for the debt, none of it is his. And the credit card company has no claim to go after him. The credit card company isn't even allowed to give credit to someone underage, let alone a baby. The dad stole from the credit card company, not the son.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2020 5:02 PM

This isnt a new thing as Ive known many people over the years who this has happened to . A girl I knew moved out at 18 because she hated her family and couldnt wait to get away , then she found out her credit was completely shot and she couldnt get cable or utilities as her parents had ran up huge bills in her name. it took her years to get it all straightened out. A guy I knew had a mother who was a shopaholic and had used his social to get a ton of credit cards , he ended up paying like $20,000 to straighten it out. What a fucked up thing to do to your own child.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2020 5:02 PM

this isn't a forum for hetero bitch problems

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2020 5:02 PM

R18 it’s not? How will we know we’re superior if not for hetero bitch problems?

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2020 5:05 PM

R18 who said she was hetero ? CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2020 5:05 PM

2015 Bump Troll @R14 longs for an identity other than being a thread bumping, coprophile.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2020 5:33 PM

yes, my ex had his mother do this to him. Bunch of shitty credit cards in his name

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2020 5:41 PM

STOP ENABLING THE IDIOT THREAD BUMPER.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2020 9:10 PM

Nah...I call bullshit to the whole story. What financial institution would give credit to a baby? How would the limit allow $150k debt? They would have turned it over to collection and written it off a decade ago. Stupid story all around

2/10

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2020 1:36 AM

2015 Dumb cunt BUMP TROLL

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2020 1:51 AM

Show pictures of him being pegged to all his friends!

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2020 1:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!