Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question about high school in the 40s

Curious about my grandparents. Would they have taken physics, chemistry, advanced math etc. in a NYC public school?

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2020 7:00 AM

What the fuck does NYC have to do with this question?

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2015 1:17 AM

What does NYC have to do with it? One thought-maybe that's where is grandparents went to high school?

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2015 1:23 AM

National standards for curriculum are relatively new in the USA. So if I had to guess, that's why, r1.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2015 1:28 AM

Good lord OP, just how stupid are you?

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2015 2:20 AM

Yes, OP, but they'd have used an abaccas for math, and a chisel and stone tablet for English Lit. Driver's Ed required your own horse. Geography did not include Australia. Electives: Angels of the old and New Testament; Prophets of the old and New Testament; and compare and contrast the Kings of the Old and New Testament.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2015 5:07 AM

Did I take trig?

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2015 5:10 AM

So many pedants on this thread. (see vocab thread)

The answer is not necessarily. Those advanced science and math classes weren't mandatory in NYC schools back then. Some took them, most didn't.

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2015 5:14 AM

Abaccas?

Isn't that witchie-poo's spirit guide?

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2015 5:16 AM

R8 I think that was the guy who played the millionaire on Gilligan's Island

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2015 6:06 AM

No, Abaccas was the name of the Abba/Cass Elliot tour.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2015 6:14 AM

No I think it was the detective character that Martin Balsam played in 'Psycho"

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2015 6:20 AM

No, if your grandparents were American they'd been too busy with getting themselves ready for entering the armed forces or if they were female, not only entering the armed forces, to do non-combat duty, but other war work or in all cases work in war plants.

Of course gays were associated with Communism a lot, so they probably worked to undermine America.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2015 7:22 AM

What's the opposite of the Wit & Wisdom honor? I'd like to nominate R5 and R12 for that.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2015 7:27 AM

My father took stenography and shop in high school. He went from his graduation ceremony straight to the recruiting office and joined the infantry in WWII. He was about 60 miles from NYC. I doubt he took trig or physics because he was not science minded.

He could pretty much fix anything around the house. Over the years, he maybe called a plumber three times. The rest he did himself. Painting, landscaping, repairs, etc. He died before I owned a house. I could have used his advice over the years. I mostly lived in apartments but bought a summer house. I've had to live in my summer house fulltime after the rich decided they wanted my affordable apartment building and it went "luxury condo." I never thought I'd be a house owner.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2015 8:40 AM

It's the boring, insipid PMBT again.

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2015 8:55 AM

I thought Abbacus was the hero of "To Kill a Mockingbird" who turned out to be a racist in "Go Set a Watchman".

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2015 3:28 AM

r5, you predominantly correct, but by the 40s, in New York, I believe wet clay tablets and styli were used.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2015 4:02 AM

[quote]What's the opposite of the Wit & Wisdom honor?

Flames&Freaks.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2020 4:18 AM

It depended on the school and student. I do know that they had Regents exams on various subjects back then, because my grandfather used to brag about getting 100s on all of them.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2020 5:13 AM

US educational standards were quite high until 1953 when the dumbing down of our public schools began in earnest. Various new teaching concepts were introduced and proved to be successful in graduating less educated students. Fortunately the private s and parochial sectors did not adopt the new curriculum. regarding NYC schools, they were among the best in nation if you lived in the right neighborhoods. Interestingly, 19th century US schools included high math and science by the end of the 8th grade as many students are needed in the homes and in the fields.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2020 5:38 AM

There was less history for them to learn so they had more time to spend on other subjects.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2020 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!