Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jim Brown, NFL Hall-of-Famer and Playgirl celebrity

Jim Brown was on MSNBC tonight discussing inner-city crime. He's obviously older now, and very thoughtful in speaking. I remember seeing his full-frontal spread when I stole a look at a Playgirl magazine at a drugstore. It was the first time I saw a nude black man; and those photos were seared in my memory. I wasn't old enough to understand public opinion at the time. Was this a news item when his full-frontal Playgirl spread was released? Was there any evidence the nudity affected his public image or career at the time?

It was nice to see him tonight, as it was on the TV screen playing football on Sundays.

Does anyone remember how the publicity around the photos played out?

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2021 3:32 AM

What does he have to do with John Amos? ....you need to start a separate thread..

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2015 4:23 AM

He has to be the highest profile male celebrity that did such graphic nudity in Playgirl. Christopher Atkins I guess too but Browns certainly were more explicit. His film career was middling at best I don't think the pics really affected it much. He has said an ex wife or girlfriend dared him to do it so he did. It would've been a crime to hide that body of his. His pics were stunning. I'm surprised Playgirl didn't get more male celebrities to go full frontal compared to how many Playboy got. The way I see it if you're Playboy or Playgirl material it can only help your career unless you're striving to be taken seriously as an actor and downplaying your sex appeal but not everyone is. But only if your celebrity is ascending if you're a has been the pics won't do much probably .

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2015 4:33 AM

and here they are

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2015 4:36 AM

I always thought Brown could be gay or hi. Look at this photo of him and Clifton Davis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2015 6:06 AM

That's an interesting pic r4

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2015 8:28 AM

Michael Jackson had a serious crush on Clifton Davis.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2015 9:16 AM

Football players were so thin way back then

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2015 9:56 AM

Love me some of that chocolate

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2015 1:59 AM

I used to fantasize about Clifton Davis in the 70s, my teenage years. His shirt was unbuttoned to his upper abs every time he was on the Match Game. I urged for a camera angle which would reveal a nipple. It didn't happen, but I took care of business anyway...

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2015 11:37 PM

If only Playgirl had posted a layout of Jim Brown fucking Christopher Atkins up the ass!

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2015 4:33 AM

R10 That would've been nice.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2015 4:37 AM

[quote]He has to be the highest profile male celebrity that did such graphic nudity in Playgirl.

R2, Peter Lupus, who spent 7 years as Willy Armitage on MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE (1966-1973) posed for Playgirl just a year later and five months before Brown, in April 1974.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2015 4:52 AM

Peter (top right) was so freaking beautiful on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. I wish that Playgirl had existed then. Would've loved to have seen late '60s Lupus nude. The PG pix, as great as they are, I just don't think the '70s long hair and weird style suits him. In fact, no man looked good in the '70s. I was glad when the '80s brought back clean-cut wholesomeness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2015 4:55 AM

R12 I think of the two Brown was the bigger star due to his football and film career. But damn those pics of Lupus are nice.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2015 4:56 AM

Whose layout did you jack off more to?For me it was definitely Christopher Atkins.Love blondes!

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2015 5:04 AM

Atkins didn't do frontal in his layout those internet photos are fakes.

Brown seemed ashamed of the Playgirl stuff for a while (although no with the internet you have to own it.)

I remember reading his biography as a teen (like 10 15 years after the photos and he never even mentioned the photos. I think he wanted people to forget about them BUT the internet revived them.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2015 5:10 AM

[quote]Atkins didn't do frontal in his layout those internet photos are fakes.

You mean this one? This was taken for PG but they decided not to use it at the last minute. However, it got leaked over the years.

Afterward, Atkins did frontal nude photography much later in his career, and you can compare penises. They look identical to this one. Besides, with fakes, the fakers usually attach a humongous penis or an erect one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2015 5:26 AM

Later in the '80s, Atkins posed for this nude.

(He even signed it for a fan!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2015 5:26 AM

In 2001, he appeared in Greg Gorman's AS I SEE IT coffee table book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2015 5:28 AM

Greg Gorman 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2015 5:28 AM

Greg Gorman 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2015 5:29 AM

Josh Duhamel was also featured in Gorman's AS I SEE IT book, when he was still just a model/soap actor:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2015 5:31 AM

r17 and r18 are both photo shopped.

The photo at r17 is in the original layout but stops right before the penis. The pubic hair is different too.By the 80s no stars were doing frontal in Playgirl. All the athletes and soap stars were just butt only.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2015 5:31 AM

Greg Gorman 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2015 5:31 AM

Greg Gorman 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2015 5:32 AM

BTW: Duhamel doesn't regret doing those pix. In an interview he gave two years ago, while promoting some movie, he was asked if he'd had any regrets, and his only regret was that he wished the photography studio hadn't been so cold and he'd asked to turn up the heat. I guess he was trying to tell us that it was shrinkage (haha), but I think it still looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2015 5:35 AM

R23 no, this is the shot that appeared in Playgirl that was cut right above the pubes. As you can see, it's a different shot, slightly different pose from R17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2015 5:38 AM

R23 as for R18, here's another photo from that shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2015 5:40 AM

The Aids crisis brought an end to stars in Playgirl After Dark etc. Atkins was 1982.. Just before things started. Remember this was back when even Sandra Bernhard was doing jokes about don't touch that Calvin Klein poster...."you'll get AIDS."

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2015 5:42 AM

ok I believe the black and whites but that blue swimsuit one still seems fake. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2015 5:49 AM

They're not fakes.Atkins himself sold them later to Baby Janes and from his website.Playgirl cropped them and they came out later.He wouldn't sign them if they were fakes.I don't particularily care either way.I was spanking it to dat ass!

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2015 8:49 AM

Peter Lupus had no intention to pose fully-frontal. His wife accompanied him to the shoot and insisted he do it. He put up some resistance, but she won the battle. He was sheepish in the first shot taken, telling his wife, "I can't believe I'm doing this." which ultimately became the "official" centerfold photo.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2015 11:44 PM

[quote]Playgirl cropped them and they came out later.

much later? I was pretty faithful subscriber in the 80s. Not sure I'd have missed that!

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2015 12:02 AM

R33 they weren't printed in latter editions of PG but did resurface in other venues, like the Internet, and Atkins has confirmed them and even given his blessings by signing them. Again, if they were the fakes of some enamored fan, they would have attached a humongous and/or erect penis on him, instead of the average-sized, flaccid penis that is Atkins'.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2015 4:11 AM

R32 that's interesting. I wonder why his wife was so insistent. I mean, I too would be proud to have such a hunk for a husband, but I'm not sure if I would want to share him with the world --and I'm gay! Just Googled him, and they're still married 55 years later! Kudos to them both!

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2015 4:13 AM

ok R34. You've convinced me.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2015 4:13 AM

[quote] He was sheepish in the first shot taken, telling his wife, "I can't believe I'm doing this." which ultimately became the "official" centerfold photo.

This one? Yeah, he looks bashful., haha I've often wondered what he was looking at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2015 4:16 AM

Yes, R37, that is the one! It was inserted into the magazine as a wall poster. Can you imagine? He was reluctant to do it, and then his cock was plastered on thousands of walls.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2015 4:50 AM

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2015 4:56 AM

Gays recall Jim for Playgirl -- straights remember him from a movie called Grasshopper, where he is seen pounding away at Jacqueline Bisset, outraging middle america.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2015 2:05 PM

It's too bad when rarely saw the asses of stars like Peter Lupus and Jim Brown. Legend has it Peter's wife sucked his cock or gave him a hand job right before the pictures were taken. He was hard in the open red bathrobe picture. His cock was plastered everywhere at the time.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2016 7:10 PM

R3 Oh my word.

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2021 12:21 AM

The asshole thread bumper is working overtime today.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2021 12:41 AM

The photo in the link below is Christopher Atkins with his dick exactly as is—not photoshopped. I have seen Christopher naked at Black’s Beach in San Diego many times. Over the years, he has been a frequent visitor, sometimes with his wife, sometimes sitting by himself or playing volleyball with other beachgoers. I haven’t seen him the past few summers, but I saw him naked quite often at Black’s in the early 2000s. Of course his face and body have aged, but the size and shape of his dick is exactly as it is pictured here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2021 1:31 AM

dickdickdick

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2021 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!