Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Sherman (the Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah guy)

Anyone here remember him?

He was really way before my time but my parents had a few of his records and I grew up believing he was totally hilarious because people told me he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2020 4:37 AM

Oh, God...major mistake it should be ALLan Sherman

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2015 9:33 PM

I searched high and low throughout the web for a vinyl copy of "My Son the Nut". Well worth the effort and expense. I'm surprised there's never been a revival of his work.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2015 10:17 PM

He wave very funny in a 1960s kind of way- my grandparents loved him

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2015 10:19 PM

[quote]Well worth the effort and expense. I'm surprised there's never been a revival of his work.

Maybe because there's so little video footage. Hard to revive someone who you can't see, in this day and age.

Maybe if he'd had a TV show

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2015 10:19 PM

In 2010, eight of Allan Sherman's Warner Brothers albums were individually released on CD:

My Son, The Folk Singer

My Son, The Celebrity

My Son, The Nut

Allan in Wonderland

For Swingin' Livers Only!

My Name is Allan

Live! (Hoping You Are The Same)

Togetherness

Sad -- he was only 48 when he died

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2015 10:21 PM

[quote]I'm surprised there's never been a revival of his work.

There's a 'Best Of...' CD on amazon with 113 reviews.

So, he clearly hasn't been forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2015 10:23 PM

Did you read his biography?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2015 10:23 PM

Like all the big American stars they sent him to Swinging London in 1966, to check out the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2015 10:26 PM

[quote]Did you read his biography?

I'd like to. Why's the kindle version $28?

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2015 10:29 PM

Allan Sherman was the creator and original producer of I've Got a Secret. But he had a bad habit of staging stunts that he thought would be funny without rehearsing or researching them well enough to make sure they would be funny. I believe the final straw was when he released 100 white rabbits on stage and invited 100 Boy Scouts in the audience to catch and keep them. The results were chaotic and destructive to the theater, without even the side benefit of being good television. Goodson and Toddman fired him for gross incompetence, figuring that if he hadn't caught on to how live television worked after five seasons, he would never improve.

The firing reduced Sherman to a state of financial hardship that was not erased until his surprise success with My Son, the Folk Singer. When he was welcomed back to I've Got a Secret as a bona fide celebrity, he seemed somber and unhappy to be there. Apparently he was too embittered by his firing to savor the victory he scored over his former employers.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2015 10:31 PM

He was so upset about the demise of the old TElephone EXchange names he wrote a protest song about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2015 10:39 PM

I guess by "revival" I meant better availability of his recordings. The Amazon offerings are very high-priced. I was lucky to get my "Nut" for $20.

OT: My other reissue dream is Peter Allen and the Rockettes at Radio City--I saw this on Showtime in the early 80's and managed to tape it; said tape died about 10 years ago. I have been on the hunt for it on digital ever since. When The Boy from Oz came out I hoped it might surface, no luck though. Any PA fans who have seen it know what I am talking about.

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2015 10:51 PM

I have My Son, the Nut on vinyl (it was my parents).

My Indian bf loves and sings Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah all the time in his Hindi accent. It cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2015 10:59 PM

R10, that stunt could get him an show at the Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2015 11:23 PM

We had his album in the house, along with Tom Lehrer's. I still automatically hear "My Zelda" for "Matilda".

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2015 11:31 PM

He was the animated voice of [italic]The Cat in the Hat[/italic] long before that Mike Myers/Alec Baldwin atrocity ever littered our screens:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2015 11:31 PM

Allan with Herman, improvising.

It's actually pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2015 11:43 PM

Allan was a terrible singer, but that made it even funnier.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2015 12:24 AM

[quote]Allan was a terrible singer

He wasn't so bad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2015 12:29 AM

**sorry...Miller**

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2015 12:29 AM

----

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2015 12:31 AM

OP, you are killing DataLounge. You know that, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2015 2:18 AM

Is that all you bring to DL, R22?

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2015 2:47 AM

I loved "God Rest Ye Jerry Mendelbaum".

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2015 3:11 AM

[quote]OP, you are killing DataLounge. You know that, don't you?

No, I'm keeping it very much alive. What are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2015 4:30 PM

As a well-hung child, I used to listen to Ratfink and Hello Muddah constantly. It cracked my shit up.

Now as a well-hung man, I don't listen to that horrid crap anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2015 4:53 PM

[quote]OP, you are killing DataLounge.

At least it'll die laughing.

by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2015 5:03 PM

He was only funny if you were Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 28September 9, 2015 6:23 PM

[quote] He was only funny if you were Jewish

Not necessarily. President Kennedy found Sherman's work very funny.

One of the things that made Allan Sherman's parodies work was the fact that the melodies were recognizable by just about everyone, no matter what generation. At age 7, I may not have known 'Green Eyes' as a big hit, but I'd heard the melody enough to appreciate the fun of Sherman's parody 'Green Stamps'. Today, music tastes are so segmented that there are no longer those songs that everybody knows. Plus, IMHO, songs today don't have melodies anyway, so how can you parody a tuneless song?

BTW, according to the aforementioned biography, the audience invited for the recording session for 'My Son The Folk Singer' was given pre-recording cocktails in order to loosen them up. Judging from some of the hysterical laughter, the drinks did their job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2015 8:10 PM

Yes, R29, what is more, I think the hysterical audience reaction on My Son the Folk Singer was "sweetened" in a recording studio after the fact. Not that Sherman didn't get tons of real laughs with his material; but the audience response on the album is almost too good. They never miss a joke and they howl at every bad pun.

by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2015 8:16 PM

He was so popular he inspired at least one imitator. I was looking through some old records at an antique and came across My Son, The Copycat by Stan Ross.

by Anonymousreply 31September 9, 2015 8:24 PM

Antique store, that is.

by Anonymousreply 32September 9, 2015 8:25 PM

Sherman's "I'm Dr. Prentiss, the Painless Dentist," sung to the tune, 'The Continental,' is one of his better parodies. And yes, there's a video. I like Sherman's work, many of his songs have recognizable tunes. Lehrer's tunes are, IIRC, mostly his own compositions.

by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2015 8:33 PM

[quote]He was only funny if you were Jewish.

I can't imagine the average gentile in Middle America getting this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2015 9:49 PM

Actually, maybe it's not so hard.

But, hysterics? No.

by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2015 9:52 PM

He's funny the same way Joan Davis is America's Queen of Comedy

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2015 11:09 PM

That is a brilliant observation, R36.

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2015 11:12 PM

Sarah Jackman was his biggest hit on the actual music charts -- obviously it wasn't only Jews who found it funny!

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2015 11:49 PM

r34 Jewish has next to nothing to do with the humor. That BIG initial laugh you hear was the audience recognizing and responding to the tune. "Frere Jacques" was a very recognizable song, although very kiddie-oriented. It was the incongruity of a child's song, aimed at adults, that helped make the lyrics even funnier than they would've been otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2015 12:20 AM

R39 it was also very topical, with references to the Peace Corps, John O'Hara, and freedom riders

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2015 12:42 AM

Sarah Jackman was his biggest hit on the actual music charts -- obviously it wasn't only Jews who found it funny!

Nonsense. His biggest hit was Hello Muddah.

Sarah Jackman was never a hit song....probably not even a single.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2015 1:06 AM

r40 I quite agree. Sherman had a laundry list there that would be easily recognizable to a broad cross-section of the American public.

Avant moi, le deluge.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2015 1:06 AM

Another great comedy record of that era was "Hello Ceil, It's Me' by Betty Walker.

I have a copy and it's still brilliant when you hear it today. Betty on the phone to her yenta girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2015 1:11 AM

Betty Walker was part of this gang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2015 1:14 AM

[quote]it was also very topical, with references to the Peace Corps, John O'Hara, and freedom riders

Not to mention Vic Tanny's gym. "Sarah Jackman" was so popular it caused a great spike in sales of John O'Hara's books, to the author's and his publisher's delight.

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2015 1:17 AM

I guess Jackie Mason is the modern day equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2015 1:19 AM

Welcome to the B'nai Brith chapter of DataLounge. OY!

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2015 1:54 AM

And here you are, queen of the welcoming committee

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2015 2:23 AM

[quote]Today, music tastes are so segmented that there are no longer those songs that everybody knows. Plus, IMHO, songs today don't have melodies anyway, so how can you parody a tuneless song?

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2015 2:41 AM

Whenever I hear "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," I invariably think of his parody which included the line "where the drapes of Roth are stored."

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2015 2:42 AM

The fact there are 50 replies to an Allan Sherman thread warms my heart!

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2015 4:02 AM

He was one of a group of comedians in the early 60s who began to make Jewish humor visible and accessible to mainstream American audiences after it had been forced to the sidelines in the 1950s. When national TV began airing live in the 1940s, most of it came from NYC and many on-air opportunities were given to Jewish performers, not the least of whom were Milton Berle and Sid Caesar.

But a number of people in showbiz who had their careers unjustly ruined by the McCarthy Communist witch hunts were Jewish. Moreover, when Jews like George S. Kaufman or Hal Block slipped up and said something controversial in the early days of live TV, many of the nation-wide complaints phoned in to the networks were virulently anti-Semitic. This led the networks to conclude that Americans disliked Jews, who were then seen less and less on TV as the 50s progressed.

Younger writers and comedians emerged from that era like Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Alan King, Shelly Berman, Woody Allen, and Allan Sherman who formed a second wave of fresher, sharper comics whose national popularity made the airwaves far more friendly to Jewish humor in the swinging 60s than they had been in the button-down 50s. A "New York" sensibility swept back into American TV, particularly in comedy, throughout the 60s. When Norman Lear came along in 1971, the USA was finally ready for him.

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2015 5:49 AM

I'm amazed (well, not amazed exactly, I'm making a point) by Fiddler On The Roof & its massive success in the '60s. It's so Jewish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2015 8:38 AM

[quote] I guess Jackie Mason is the modern day equivalent.

At age 84, Jackie Mason isn't the modern-day equivalent of anything.

Perhaps the ABC comedy "The Goldbergs' could be considered the modern-day equivalent, although their Jewishness is pretty tame.

by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2015 7:58 PM

[quote]At age 84, Jackie Mason isn't the modern-day equivalent of anything.

In comparison to Allan Sherman, he's the modern day equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 55September 10, 2015 8:01 PM

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿจ๐Ÿƒ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿค๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒบ ๐Ÿš๐Ÿก๐Ÿ ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ™

Sorry about the above, I never noticed I had this facility on my iPad before...

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2015 12:27 AM

Hate Jackie Mason.

He's a cartoon Jew. Never liked him. I don't care how old he was or is.

Jews have always been in comedy always will.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2015 1:32 AM

He was gay

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2015 8:40 PM

I liked "Jump down, spin around, pick a dress o' cotton" about a gaggle of Jewish shoppers descending on a sale table at a department store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2015 9:37 PM

Marge, is Lisa at Camp Grenada?

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2020 4:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!