Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gaydar is nothing more than stereotyping, says study

Gaydar is nothing more than stereotyping, says study

Joe Williams, 8th September 2015, 12:40 PM

The concept is not only inaccurate, it also encourages dangerous stereotypes, research suggests.

Scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison conducted the study to challenge the so-called “gaydar myth” in a new paper recently published in the Journal of Sex Research.

Researchers found that although many view the idea as harmless, it is actually still stereotyping – just in a more subtle form.

“Most people think of stereotyping as inappropriate,” said William Cox, lead author of the paper.

“But if you’re not calling it ‘stereotyping,’ if you’re giving it this other label and camouflaging it as ‘gaydar’, it appears to be more socially and personally acceptable.”

Cox proved this theory by splitting the study’s participants into three groups. One was told that the concept is real and another that gaydar is nothing more than stereotyping.

They were then shown photos of men and a statement about their interests.

The group that was led to believe gaydar is real were much more like to make assumptions based on traditional stereotypes – such as “he likes shopping”, or “his is emotionally sensitive”.

“If you tell people they have a gaydar, it legitimises the use of those stereotypes,” Cox argues.

Another reason gaydar is often misused, Cox said, was because LGBT people still make up such a small percentage of the population.

“Imagine that 100% of gay men wear pink shirts all the time, and 10% of straight men wear pink shirts all the time.

“Even though all gay men wear pink shirts, there would still be twice as many straight men wearing pink shirts,” he said.

“So – even in this extreme example – people who rely on pink shirts as a stereotypic cue to assume men are gay will be wrong two-thirds of the time.”

Previous surveys have differed in result, with some insisting that the “gay sixth sense” does indeed exist.

Last year, an American politician found himself in hot water for claiming that men from the Southern region of the country “set off his gaydar”.

The former Democratic Governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer, said: “Don’t hold this against me, but I’m going to blurt it out. How do I say this… men in the South, they are a little effeminate.

“They just have effeminate mannerisms. I would say — and I’m fine with gay people, that’s all right — but my gaydar is 60-70 percent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 7, 2020 1:03 AM

I've seen a recent study - I don't know if it is the same as that of the thread - showing that the faces of gay and straight men are guessed as gay at the same rate if guessers are offered the same description about the man's hobbies and personality.

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2015 12:30 PM

"Gaydar is nothing more than stereotyping,"

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Gaydar in pictures is silly stereotyping - it's the type of thing straight women say.

"Gaydar" between two gay men is not about the way they dress. It's about the subtle cues you see when cruising another guy - the eye contact, the quick once over, the lingering glance at certain party of the body, the look the other guy has in his eye when you make eye contact.

Spotting another gay man is about attraction and assessment of sexual availability - THAT is why it's impossible for women to have gaydar with regard to gay men. Even the lack of sexual interest cannot be used as a barometer.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2015 1:00 PM

TRUE gaydar has nothing to do with sterotyping.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2015 1:12 PM

most gaydar is, I agree

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2015 1:46 PM

Interesting study. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2015 2:02 PM

Please, you've never caught a "vibe" off someone?

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2015 2:05 PM

Gay people can tell, straight people cannot.

by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2015 2:10 PM

Some people are walking stereotypes though. Haha. Like the two Ellens.

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2015 2:44 PM

True gaydar is not guessing or stereotyping. It's intuitive and knowing.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2015 2:53 PM

R3, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2015 3:00 PM

r11 - spoken by a not gay guy.

Have you ever cruised (to use an old timey phrase) a guy while walking down the street. Have you noticed how gay men react vs. straight men? That's gaydar.

Have you ever made eye contact with a guy which last miliseconds too long - that's gayday.

It has little or nothing to do with stereotyping - though gayface is gayface, as another study quoted here noted.

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2015 7:23 PM

Gaydar is real because when a guy is sucking my cock, I can tell he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2015 7:37 PM

The "researcher" behind this is very young. It feels like more know-nothingness and gay culture taken over by the clueless or non-gay.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2015 7:52 PM

More often I find something (a connection) in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2015 9:27 PM

I don't believe this for a second. My gaydar is never wrong. I knew about gay celebs long before they came out.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2015 9:35 PM

Gaydar is offensive, politically incorrect and needs to be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2015 9:39 PM

I can recognize some people by stereotyping but that isn't always the case.

I saw Kristen Stewart., she was dressing in a beautiful dress...hair and makeup perfect yet I knew she was a lesbian, right away. So I can't say I understand it and maybe a lot of it is just stereotyping but not all of it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2015 9:42 PM

R12, I'm a gay woman and I can spot a gay man or a gay woman. It has nothing to do with anything sexual.

by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2015 9:47 PM

I've rarely been surprised.

I can even tell which straight guys would be "curious" after a couple of beers.

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2015 9:53 PM

I can tell gentiles with "goynar

Another alternative to gaydar is to wet your finger and stick it in the air. If a minigay suddenly pops onto it and rotates pleasurably, you are probably in Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2015 9:55 PM

Both those jokes fell flat R21. Don't give up the day job.

by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2015 10:03 PM

Bullshit. It's a sense only gay people have. It's real.

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2015 10:08 PM

Ms. Cox is just mad she was out of the closet to everyone but herself. The Canadian girlfriend, the WWF fandom, the really butch shoes...nothing helped.

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2015 10:12 PM

R3 You are wrong, but it is understandable since you are not turned on by women. I am telling you here and now that when a woman is in close contact with a straight man, regardless of her age or sexual appeal(unless she is just straight up repulsive)the man instinctively sends out signals of interest even if they are involuntary. I have a job where 75% of the men I work with are gay. I can tell almost immediately if a man is gay because straight men always touch your arm or place their hand on your shoulder etc when meeting for the first time(it's a very informal environment ---nothing like an office.) This was true when I was 28 years old, and it is still true 20 years later. It doesn't mean that said man wants to fuck me, it's just an involuntary biological response I guess. And I have never once been wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2015 10:13 PM

R10 is right. I can tell if a guy is gay long before I know anything about his interests or personality. The problem is straight people who think "omg, he likes a lady gaga song...he must be gay!!!"

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2015 10:25 PM

R26, can you tell even if they are from different cultures? I can't tell sometimes with some nationalities, unless they are really flaming.

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2015 10:29 PM

Gaydar and gay stereotyping are two different things. Gay stereotyping boils down to effeminate = gay. Gaydar is eye contact between men. The two terms got confused when fraus started using "gaydar" to refer to their obsessive need to identify men on the downlow.

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2015 11:21 PM

It's not "nothing more" than stereotyping. It can include stereotyping if there's a list in your head of stuff only gay people like, and you hear that stuff about someone.

For me, with men, it's gay face and gay voice. With women it's hair. I grew up taught by nuns, so my gaydar is screwed up for lesbians. There are four gay guys on my corridor where I work and I knew 3 of them were gay before I knew for sure they were gay. Two of them are introverted and meticulous, one of them is extroverted and more of a big picture person, and the fourth is sardonic. The fourth I wasn't sure of because of absence of gay face and gay voice, but there was other stuff.

I'm not obsessing over this, but people clock stuff about each other all the time. For example, at a previous job, there was a girl newly in NYC from Texas. I didn't give her sexuality any thought. We became work friends and there came a time she had a romantic crisis, and the whole time she talked about it, her significant other was "someone", not he or she. "This person." So I was thinking, oh, okay. She had long hair, no make-up, nothing in particular to signal sexuality, but there it probably was. I'll call her Tessa.. There was a woman in the office, corporate attorney, hair shorn close, always in pants, no make-up, no manicure, etc. After Tessa did tell me she was gay, she told me the other woman had come up to her and recited everything - I remember it was at least her bag and her boots, and was all like "Uh huh.", like "I know you."

That last was a few years ago. If it were now I'd probably say, is the person male or female? Or she'd probably just use the right pronoun, no indefinite.

There are a bunch of gay couples in my building. For about five of them, am I not supposed to automatically know they're gay based on obvious tells? The others I would never have known if they didn't tell me.

But when you know, you know.

by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2015 11:34 PM

R29 Are you gay or straight? Male or female?

Straight people are funny. I've absentmindedly used "person" instead of "he", but I never thought about the possible assumptions made by people who aren't aware of my preferences.

by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2015 11:44 PM

R25, a lot of gay men are super flirty though, even with straight women.

by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2015 11:48 PM

Or "person" instead of "guy", rather. Like, "Maybe I should date a person from there."

by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2015 11:50 PM

R23

Think so ? I think that many straights have it about their own sex i.e. straight guys can often spot gay and straight women can tell the orientation of other women. Again, its subtle things like a look etc....

by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2015 12:03 AM

The concept of gaydar being based on stereotypical old thinking such as a man in a pink shirt is gay, while a man in a Steelers' jersey is straight is archaic and just plain dumb. However, if the man in the Steelers' jersey has eyebrows groomed to the gods, I will clock him as gay in a hot second.

by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2015 3:21 AM

Exactly. And how is it sterotypes came to be so accurate? Hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2015 3:49 AM

Gaydar is sometimes simply about an inability to imagine the person with a partner of the opposite sex. Gays and straights can both sense that.

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2015 5:10 AM

That's bullshit, for me at least gaydar is the once over, the interaction, gay men look at you like straight men never do. Someone pretending it's about stereotypes is the clueless one.

No matter what the mannerisms, no straight guy will react to you the way a gay man will.

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2015 5:30 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2015 5:53 AM

i could tell usually with gay men by their mannerism, hand gestures how they walk, and facial expressions.

with lesbos or some bi women is the hair style, neon hair coloring or some color of the dam rainbow hand gestures how they walk, clothing, a bit more monotone voice, piercing of the face could help, and the spot on where the tattoos are at.

they are easy to me and gaydar is real

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2015 6:02 AM

This study is bullshit. It does not even grasp the concept of gaydar if it boils it down to stereotypes.

Gaydar is a instinct, an intuition, a sixth sense that someone is gay.

Once my gaydar has been activated, then I look for the gay stereotypes like gestures, clothing, interests to confirm what my gaydar has told me.

by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2015 6:12 AM

The science of GAYdar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2015 6:25 AM

If the study was confined to showing people still pictures of gay-or-straight-or-bi men (were any women shown?), then it's absurd. Still pictures can only capture a small part of what gaydar depends on.

by Anonymousreply 42September 9, 2015 9:16 AM

There are all kinds of gaydar. It's why metrosexuals were so confusing to guys whose gaydar was not very finely tuned.

The key, as others have stated, is in the interactions, you pick up a certain vibe, see how they react to certain subtle flirtations, where their eyes go, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2015 9:50 AM

You mean all those flaming fags in boys town are really straight?

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 44September 9, 2015 10:17 AM

Sorry boys, he's as straight and butch as I am.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 9, 2015 10:20 AM

That's the thing R45-- does anyone actually find that guy attractive? Yet we all "know" he's gay because enough gay guys dress like that.

What's the deal? Ditto on the so-trendy-they-look-like-Halloween-costumes outfits?

by Anonymousreply 46September 9, 2015 10:30 AM

R30, the woman was sharing a difficult experience with me and never once used a pronoun. If it's a casual thing, that's fine, but this was, to her, a pretty serious situation. She was new to New York City from Texas, had been living with "someone", had broken up with "this person", and "this person" frequently did business with the Texas woman's boss, and was not happy about the breakup. This person also posted on facebook, making cryptic but suggestive comments about her. The whole time this poor girl is telling me about the situation, it's "this person" and "They". She was afraid of it impacting her job, she was afraid of it freaking out her family home in Texas, and she was also having a rough time because she had almost no money save what she was earning at what was probably a $20.00/hour job (yeah, but you try finding your own place in the area on that money).

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2015 12:14 AM

You really needed a study to know that.

Obviously the gaydar thing is based on stereotypes. When a stereotypical conception about certain group of people is deeply engraved in a person's mind he/she will try to find all those traits in a person to classify him/her as such.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2015 12:26 AM

i figured out my gadar was broke years ago

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2015 12:28 AM

If you suspect somebody is gay, most times you're right. Is this a correct statement?

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2015 12:41 AM

R50 When it's a man you suspect is gay, yes.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2015 12:48 AM

R50 As long as he showed any stereotypical traits, but then you eave a whole bunch of people who don't fall into that category. In such case you're only seeing a small portion.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2015 12:58 AM

Stereotypes are not created by some evil committee.

They are either true or they vanish from use.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2015 12:59 AM

It seems there is a gay backlash now - the aggressive promotion (and celebration by straights) of Trans; the media giving airtime to Kim Davis types that spurs more on; "academics" like this one undermining basic gay reality and understanding

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2015 1:06 AM

There isn't really a gay backlash. Folks have moved on and Kim is the exception and not the rule here. Presidential candidates have completely shut up about it

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2015 1:11 AM

We don't know if there will be more Kim Davis types. The rest that I mentioned at R54 is true.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2015 1:23 AM

Gaydar is real, but it's like emotional intelligence or being a good judge of character; not everyone has it. Plenty of people may think they have gaydar when in fact they're just guessing based on stereotypes, but there's definitely a portion of the population that genuinely has that sixth sense. I'm not one of them: I have terrible gaydar and I am generally oblivious or confused when people are sending me those subtle signals. I've gotten better as I've gotten older but it just doesn't come naturally to me.

One of the things I like about DL is that there are ppl on here with good gaydar who've correctly identified closeted celebs (sometimes people I'd never have imagined to be gay) years before they came out or were outed via scandals or blind items. Of course, there are plenty of wishful thinkers on here too.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2015 1:23 AM

"the aggressive promotion (and celebration by straights) of Trans'

The same homophobes who celebrate Kim Davis are the ones who hate trans people. Trans people are not a threat to us, homophobes are.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2015 1:59 AM

Omg R58, you're going to slammed for that statement on this site.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2015 2:04 AM

R57 You admit you have no gaydar, so shut the fuck up about "wishful thinking".

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2015 2:58 AM

Gaydar = confirmation bias.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2015 3:47 AM

Cruising =/= gaydar. Or does it?

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2015 10:16 PM

Bumpdar

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2015 6:44 PM

I'm with [R40] all the way And most on this thread. Nobody has great gay dar as well as a homosexual or bi. Especially closet cases. My stepmom was a closet case and a narcissistic sociopath. She was always on the money about gays and other paths. She's dead now but I remember being upset at her claiming kidnapped Elizabeth Smart really ran away. She called it when she saw the 1st videos of Smart on the beach Said she looked "wirery" Of course she said about Ed Smart, "wow that queer certainly had a lot of kids". Well, I recently found a website called The fraudulent Elizabeth Smart Blogspot Well, the old girl was right again It's such a fascinating site. Elizabeth had gone goth so they had to show old images of her at around 12. That's why she never tried to escape. No Stockholm syndrome there Did Oprah really know the truth like she had with Josh Duggar or was she bamboozled again? Like with that million pieces author? Now, that guy pings to the highest of heavens. Let's be real He's a fraud all around We both noticed Elizabeth was knocked up when found Wonder if she had an abortion or went through with it? The Smarts are frauds Even the younger sister who is responsible for an innocent man's death in jail Mary Catherine has the most sociopathic eyes Yuck Go take a look at the site Such a riveting read. Logically, all fits

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2015 2:25 AM

Gaydar is about non-verbal communication, which is 95% of communication. I think the people who did this study are fundamentalists of the hysterical "straight acting, nobody should be outed until they out themselves" stripe. The deny the centrality of non-verbal communication in the gay male world, and the very real fact that often times people understand more about you than you understand about yourself. The clinging to one's ability to CONTROL what people say about you is actually self-loathing and ridiculous. It is also a huge overestimation of the importance of your "reputation" to everyone else. Nobody takes seriously the things you say about yourself if they are adults and reasonably intelligent. They evaluate you based on what you say, what you do, how you look, their stereotypes and upbringing, and also the little clues you may give out that don't square with the self-presentation. To this day my college roommate thinks I must have had some type of voodoo skill to penetrate his gay sexuality, when the reality is after I came out to him he was semi-hard when he got up every morning, whereas he never had been before. It really wasn't rocket science that I knew he was gay when he insisted he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2015 2:47 AM

I learned a long time ago to trust my gaydar, which works especially well on the non-obvious. I had crushes as a very young child on, for example, celebrities who were absolutely seen unequivocally as straight and had zero gay stereotyping features. Now I'm an adult - every single one of them I now know is gay.

It's a sixth sense and I love it. We get to have our own gay club that the hets can't join for once. And it's also reassuring to know nature built it in us for a reason...to help us find each other... Go gays!

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2015 2:59 AM

r66, which celebrities are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2015 3:02 AM

In ancient times when men who liked men were considered masculine your gaydar would have to be tuned to find those masculine traits. Nowadays, society cosider homosexual men effeminate you have to tune your gaydar to find those effeminate traits.

I'm sure most of the guys who believe in gaydar would be unable to find the gay ones in rugby, bodybuilding, wrestling, etc.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2015 4:31 AM

R65 This is a good post. Show me where his eyes go, and I'll show you a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 69June 7, 2020 12:35 AM

Gaydar isn't about interests, it's about picking up on what a guy says and doesn't say- his reactions.

by Anonymousreply 70June 7, 2020 12:44 AM

Bull. Yes, stereotyping is part of gaydar, but only a part. A big part of it is also seeing who has the body language of a couple, always a dead giveaway, and who's eying or flirting with who.

Remember Annie Proulx's story of how she came to write "Brokeback Mountain"? She was in a bar out in the country, surrounded by cowboys and ranchers. She saw a rugged older man, looking as tough and straight as railroad spike, staring longingly at a handsome young cowboy. Nothing gave him away, but that look of longing.

by Anonymousreply 71June 7, 2020 12:53 AM

Gaydar is intuitive/instinctive. It is what you sense/feel - not see/hear. What you see/hear is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 72June 7, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote0For about five of them, am I not supposed to automatically know they're gay based on obvious tells?

Garland at Carnegie Hall blaring from behind closed front doors?

by Anonymousreply 73June 7, 2020 1:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!