Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the story on Daniel J Travanti?

Is he out? We gave a lot of grief to Kevin Spacey, so why does this guy get a free pass? Or have we been wrong but him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 28, 2019 10:26 PM

He's gay and lives with a partner

by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2015 6:26 PM

Travanti was never Spacey level famous. He had a good run on HSB, but mostly his personal story focused on this addiction/recovery. Was a very different time and coming out wasn't common.

He's been out of the spotlight for nearly thirty years now. I'm sure he'll pull a Richard Chamberlain/Tab Hunter/Joel Grey soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2015 7:21 PM

All I know is he rocked a Speedo on the old Battle of the Network Stars shows.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2015 7:26 PM

Always found him sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2015 7:32 PM

R3 -- enjoy. Turn down the volume on the Chipmunk like audio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2015 7:37 PM

Isn't he dead?

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2015 7:45 PM

Pic in R4 looks sorta like crix belly

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2015 7:49 PM

He's 75, R7 .............. didn't realize he was around forty when he got his big HSB break.

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2015 7:58 PM

Was hot as fuck back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2015 8:03 PM

Has anyone here had him?

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2015 12:38 AM

He is a committed vegan and got even thinner than he was in his prime and now looks very haggard. He finally ditched the godawful hairpieces he wore for decades (not in this picture, though).

Had a reputation for being something of a demanding diva on sets. Has a big uncut Italian cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2015 12:53 AM

Thanks for ruining the thread, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2015 1:25 AM

R12, lol. He played a psycho serial killer few years ago in Criminal Minds where that pic is from.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2015 1:29 AM

He looks better here in this pic from last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2015 1:40 AM

Did he ever pretend to be straight? That is why Spacey gets such grief. The whole declaration of love on the Oscars to some woman he never seems to have seen again.

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2015 1:47 AM

I thought he was "out" a long time ago. He's made no bones about the fact that he's gay and lives with a partner. I don't think he's ever tried to hide it, although it may have been kept under wraps when he was on HSB. I remember tabloid articles that made it seem like he and Veronica Hamel were a real life "item." Isn't she gay, too? I never liked her acting; she always sneered her lines and even when she laughed or smiled it always seemed fake. She and Travanti had to do a lot of steamy love scenes where she appeared to jam her tongue down his throat. Yech!

He was 41 at the beginning of HSB. I thought he was kind of attractive, in good shape for his age. Apparently he's had a lot of problems in his life; alcoholism, a mental breakdown. But he's a good actor. Aside from HSB he did a tv movie, "Adam", the story of the disappearance of Adam Walsh, the six year old child who was abducted, beaten, maybe raped, and hacked into pieces by a psycho named Ottis Toole. Travanti played John Walsh; the scene where he gets a phone call telling him that his child's HEAD has been found in a canal is stunning. He goes into a frenzy, screaming, crying, wrecking the hotel room. I think that was some of Travanti's best acting. I'm surprised he didn't win an Emmy for it.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2015 1:48 AM

Last I heard from friends was that he was living in Lake Forest in Illinois. God knows why. Yes, he was quite the diva on occasion on sets.

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2015 1:58 AM

I think the cast on HSB gave him the nickname "Miss Foo Foo."

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2015 2:09 AM

[quote] Travanti was an athlete and good student, earning scholarships to Harvard University, Princeton University, and Dartmouth College, though he eventually attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison

I take it that those were only partial scholarships.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2015 2:12 AM

^ He turned down a full-ride football scholarship to Wisconsin to study acting (Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2015 2:36 AM

If he is out, why no mention of his being gay anywhere on internet (other than gossip boards), even on his Wikipedia page?

by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2015 2:47 AM

r21, he is out in his everyday life. He is not publicly out.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2015 2:53 AM

I think OP's pic is from Travanti's guest appearance on "Lost in Space" back in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2015 3:03 AM

I tried watching DJT's interviews on the Archive of American Television site, but he bloviates too much and goes off on these tangents, trying his damnedest to conjure up the past and paint a descriptive picture. Just get to the point, Dan! And I got the impression that he was a bit of a diva back then, who thought highly of himself and let it be known that he was a theater trained ACTOR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2015 3:21 AM

He's never screamed from the rooftops "I'm gay!", but then why should he? Why should anybody care? He's not like Kevin Spacey and John Travolta, who, despite all the evidence to the contrary, pretend to be NOT gay.

I tried watching his YouTube interviews but he's so long-winded and boring. Not an interesting person at all.

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2015 3:27 AM

He's still alive ?

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2015 3:43 AM

Judy Carne just died in Northampton!

by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2015 4:52 AM

I saw some old show (Gidget, maybe?) where he was billed as "Danny Travanty".

by Anonymousreply 28September 7, 2015 5:45 AM

I think he was billed as Dan Travanty until the 70s

by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2015 7:23 PM

I've been watching old episodes of HSB lately. For the most part it holds up surprisingly well, although it became formulaic fairly quickly (Belker on the phone with his mother, Faye barging into the squad room to whine and harass Frank, the show ending countless times with Furillo and Davenport in bed or in a bathtub). It's fun to see people in minor roles who became well known later on: Andy Garcia, Jonathan Frakes, Frances McDormand, Don Cheadle, Christopher Noth, Tim Robbins, Forest Whitaker, David Caruso...there was so many. The show is still watchable, but oh my God, did it have some unbearable characters! There's nagging, whining Faye, and loud-mouthed obnoxious Renko, and sleazy screw-up J.D. LaRue. And awful Chief Daniels. Some people find Howard Hunter awful, but looking at the show now it's obvious the poor man had undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome. I never liked Grace Gardner (played very well by Barbara Babcock), the horny, sexually expert older woman with a vocabulary and manner of speech as extensive and convoluted as her lover's, the hulking Phil Esterhaus. Steven Bochco, creater of HSB, would go on to do L.A. Law, which also featured a character of the exact same type as Grace Gardner, this time in the form of Holland Taylor. She was another incarnation of Grace: an insatiably horny older woman, obsessed with sex, an expert at it, extremely eloquent and well spoken, which of course contrasts with her sexual passion. I thought Barbara Babcock did it better.

by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2015 12:53 AM

When he was famous nobody was out...and then he kind of disappeared from public life. Coming out now would just seem like a desperate cry for attention. You're out? So who cares? Who are you again?

by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2015 1:04 AM

He guest-starred on The Patty Duke Show as a football player with a crush on Cathy. He took his shirt off in one scene and looked really good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2015 1:10 AM

There was a great thread about him here a few years ago. Apparently he was a major Mary! when the cameras were off. I had such a crush in him.

by Anonymousreply 33September 8, 2015 1:11 AM

He wasn't in a toupee on HSB, was he?

by Anonymousreply 34September 8, 2015 2:32 AM

Yes, he was. A small one.

by Anonymousreply 35September 8, 2015 2:33 AM

His best work was opposite JoBeth Williams as John Walsh in the made for TV movie about the abduction of Adam

by Anonymousreply 36September 8, 2015 2:39 AM

R33, I remember hearing back in the 80s that he was a major asshole on the set of HSB. Of course, who knows if that was true....

by Anonymousreply 37September 8, 2015 2:45 AM

Wasn't there a rumor at the time that Veronica Hamel didn't like kissing him because she thought she'd get AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 38September 8, 2015 2:47 AM

"Wasn't there a rumor at the time that Veronica Hamel didn't like kissing him because she thought she'd get AIDS?"

I don't know about that. If she didn't like kissing him she must have gotten over it, because I remember several scenes where she's obviously French kissing him. Once I remember she came in for an open-mouthed kiss when he was lying down; he made this disgusting "uk" noise, as if something he was choking on something. Her tongue, no doubt. Yuk! They really overdid it with the Davenport/Furillo sex scenes. It got so boring; ho-hum Frank and Joyce are fucking again. BORING.

by Anonymousreply 39September 8, 2015 2:57 AM

It is interesting that he sort of petered out after HSB. Did some Made for TV movies, but never moved into character parts on the big screen a la Denis O'Hare.

by Anonymousreply 40September 8, 2015 12:34 PM

He was always into older guys. His Long time BF was James Daly of Medical Center fame. His current BF has to be well into his 80s by now.

by Anonymousreply 41September 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Spacey hasn't bearded since the "Diane" episode. No one would buy it, anyway. He took Kate Mara as his date to the Golden Globes but no one entertained the notion that he was bearding.

by Anonymousreply 42September 8, 2015 12:58 PM

Dennis Franz appeared on HSB as a sleazy, corrupt cop named Sal Benedetto who eventually committed suicide. He made such an impression that he was brought back as another cop, the sleazy, tough but essentially good-hearted Norman Buntz. Buntz punches out Chief Daniels and is booted off the force, but he later showed up in a very brief spin-off called "Beverly Hills Buntz." Franz went on to star as Andy Sipowicz on NYPD Blue and won four Emmys. Franz was such a good actor. WEHT Dennis Franz, anyway? He stopped acting in 2005 to focus on his "private life." Why did he stop acting? He was such an interesting actor. always intense and compelling.

by Anonymousreply 43September 8, 2015 3:59 PM

What's the Diane episode?

by Anonymousreply 44September 8, 2015 4:15 PM

The last thing I saw him in was in an awful movie from the late 80s - "Midnight Crossing" - costarring Faye Dunaway and Kim Cattrall. I wonder if there are any good stories from that set.

by Anonymousreply 45September 8, 2015 6:26 PM

R45 Ha! I was just about to mention M.C. It is one of my favorite "so bad it's good" movies of the 80s. Until I saw M.C. I wasn't convinced that DJT was gay, but his absurdly mincing portrayal Cattrall's boss/lover was so over the top it removed all lingering doubt in my mind. I guess by that point he just didn't give a shit about what people thought. John Laughlin was hot as hell in it though. And Faye Dunaway!! My lord she chewed some scenery.

by Anonymousreply 46September 8, 2015 6:51 PM

[quote] He was always into older guys. His Long time BF was James Daly of Medical Center fame. His current BF has to be well into his 80s by now.

Oooh, good factoid. I wonder if he was the boyfriend Tyne Daly and her sibs threw out of her father's house after he died, despite the fact he'd been in a relationship w/ Daly for several years and they were, for all intents and purposes, a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 47September 8, 2015 6:58 PM

R41 His current partner is the one who had the car accident last year in Cook County, which resulted in a police vehicle being damaged, so there was a public hearing held by the Cook County Board of Commissioners to assess financial liability for repair costs.

In that hearing, the record of ownership of the vehicle (Travanti), the name of the driver (his presumed partner, John Penn), and their shared home address (in Lake Forest) all became part of the public record. They had to pay $888.87.

"John Penn" is also known as "Edward Penn" at IMDb. Many people would probably recognize him, but not know from what.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 8, 2015 7:16 PM

And public records indicate John Edward Penn is 88, so yeah, he's older than the 75-year old Travanti by 13 years.

In 1988, they both appeared in The American Playhouse television production of "I Never Sang for My Father."

I wonder if this is how they met.

by Anonymousreply 49September 8, 2015 7:40 PM

Ed Penn was the older man Elaine dated on Seinfeld. She dumped him after he had a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2015 7:43 PM

When did he date James Daly?

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2015 9:06 PM

[quote]I saw some old show (Gidget, maybe?) where he was billed as "Danny Travanty".

Better than Tranny Davanty.

by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2015 9:12 PM

Massive cock hound.

Big Bill Clinton supporter.

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2015 9:14 PM

I think he played a guy named 'Spence' (Andrews?) on General Hospital back in the day; he was a pal of Lesley's in a support group for screwed over spouses and his bitchy wife was played, I think, by Mary Ann Mobley? Not sure how or why I remember this stuff, but Spence came off as very likable and proof that Lesley could land a man.

Then he got HSB.

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2015 9:15 PM

R17, Hey, Earl, why haven't you come out? Everyone knows Tony George was your lover (that's what they called it back then) until he died. You're 86 and retired, so won't have to worry about losing roles by fessing up.

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2015 9:21 PM

R51 - More than likely in the late-60s when Travanti was still being referred to as "Dan Travanty".

There's a Cecil Smith column from October 24, 1969 wherein James Daly discussed how "sick" he was of doing Medical Center and how horribly constrained he felt by being under contract for the TV show.

The interview was held at his home in Encino (in Los Angeles) and mention was made of the litter his Springer Spaniel had just given birth to as well as the "twin litter" that belonged to "actor Dan Travanty" that was also on the premises at the time. Smith wrote that, by his careful count, there were 17 puppies in total.

Later in the article, mention was made that Daly's wife phoned during the interview. She was across the country in New York at the time with their daughter who was pregnant with twins.

Daly was 50 at the time. Travanti would have been 30. Methinks they were doing more breeding than with dogs.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2015 9:38 PM

When James Daly died his ex-wife contested the will which gave much of his estate to male partner. Tyne defended her father's will. The former Mrs. Daly went home empty-handed.

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2015 9:48 PM

[quote] When James Daly died his ex-wife contested the will which gave much of his estate to male partner. Tyne defended her father's will. The former Mrs. Daly went home empty-handed.

If I could find the link, I'd post it, but I honestly can't remember where I read it (more than once, but from the same source, which tells me it was in a book). It always surprised me because Tyne is so gay supportive, but I figured she was very young at the time, she may have been pressured by other family members and the time itself, of course.

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2015 9:55 PM

About 3 years ago Travanti came in to my office to conduct some business. he was nice but is bat shit cray! About 2 hours later Connie Selleca walked into my office too wearing sweats and a baseball cap. She is also bat shit crazy! It could have been a HSB impromptu reunion! Can you imagine if they had showed up at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2015 10:12 PM

[quote] About 3 years ago Travanti came in to my office to conduct some business. he was nice but is bat shit cray! About 2 hours later Connie Selleca walked into my office too wearing sweats and a baseball cap. She is also bat shit crazy! It could have been a HSB impromptu reunion! Can you imagine if they had showed up at the same time?

Honey, Connie Sellecca was never on Hill Street Blues.

People in bat shit crazy houses....

by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2015 10:16 PM

Sorry R60. I meant Veronica Hamel. Was a long day at work today and I got my 80's TV gals confused lol. The bat shitness must have been contagious.

by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2015 10:24 PM

; )

by Anonymousreply 62September 8, 2015 10:25 PM

Is he hung?

by Anonymousreply 63September 8, 2015 10:28 PM

R57 I don't think James Daly gave much, if anything, of his estate to his male partner.

The partner in question, Randal G. Jones, was the plaintiff in the lawsuit and brought a much-publicized homosexual palimony case to court. I lived in Santa Monica at the time and the case was being tried there. The local paper covered it.

Jones claim wasn't based on anything in the will itself. Newspaper reports said Daly's will divided things between his ex-wife and four children. The lover came to court as a "creditor" and based his claim on an (oral) cohabiters' agreement. There was nothing in writing, and supposedly what he was asking for amounted to about half the estate.

There are legal details of the case - including an outline of what their relationship existed of - in the appellant ruling, which Jones also lost. (Link.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 8, 2015 10:36 PM

[quote] Is he hung?

Most 75-year old men have low hangers. Really low.

by Anonymousreply 65September 8, 2015 11:22 PM

How does anyone know that DT is uncut? That's so depressing. I used to think he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 66September 8, 2015 11:30 PM

Thanks, R64. I did remember reading about how the family (Tyne included) threw him out of the house, but the details were very skimpy.

by Anonymousreply 67September 8, 2015 11:33 PM

R67 - Yeah, as I recall, the home was described as a quarter million dollar condo in the Marina del Rey. That would probaby be over a million today. The family came and threw all of Jones' belongings out on the front porch including his parrot.

by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2015 12:49 AM

r56, good find! DJT guest-starred on Medical Center in 1970, maybe James pulled strings to get him on the show

by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2015 2:02 AM

When they lived in California, Travanti and Penn had been living in Pacific Palisades next door to Arnold Schwarzengger and Maria. That's who bought the home when they made the move to Lake Forest in 1995, as Arnold was putting together a compound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 9, 2015 2:40 AM

I'm shocked he's 75. That's the same age as my dad, and when Travanti was on HSB he seemed so much younger than my dad. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 71September 9, 2015 2:55 AM

Looking at the old HSB episodes, I now notice that he was wearing a hairpiece. He was still attractive, though. That's how I remember him, during his Frank Furillo phase. He's quite unrecognizable now; hair gone, all grey and withered. I know everybody ages, but it's still sad. Same with Veronica Hamel. On HSB she was the incongruously gorgeous Public Defender; tall, model thin, olive-skinned, with a long mane of raven hair, sculpted cheekbones and sparkling pale green eyes (real or contacts?). She still has the long raven hair (dyed now, I presume) but her beautiful face is no more; it's now lumpy and doughy looking, no doubt due to too many fillers and too much Botox and God knows what else. She's unrecognizable, too. I think she would have aged better if she'd gone more natural, but I guess she wanted to preserve her youth as much as possible and it backfired, like it always does. Too much plastic surgery is always ruinous. Too bad; she really was exotically lovely at one time.

by Anonymousreply 72September 9, 2015 3:18 AM

Tyne Daly had a gay father!!??

That is so gay!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73September 9, 2015 3:21 AM

R44

The Diane episode was:

When Spacey won his first Oscar he took his mother and he got a lot of flack about being a closeted gay man. Four years later when he won again he brought this woman named Diane (who worked for a publicist I believe). He professed his love for her and presented her like a long term girlfriend. He had never really been seen with her before and was never seen with her again. It wasn't that long ago but it was still the days when stars thought they could get away with stuff like this. It was pre-internet domination of gossp.

Here is the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 9, 2015 3:29 AM

r59: Exactly how was Travanti bat-shit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 75September 9, 2015 4:08 AM

Years ago a DLer claimed to have had sex with him. Said he was hung

by Anonymousreply 76September 9, 2015 6:42 PM

Faye Dunaway as the blind eye specialist in Midnight Crossing: "I specialize in eye diseases...so how did I get glaucoma?"

How is this not a DL favorite?

by Anonymousreply 77September 9, 2015 7:36 PM

men R77. That was a DL iconic performance if I've ever seen one.

by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2015 7:51 PM

Travanti was very neurotic. I remember in the 90s he was always doing interviews about how Hill Street ruined his career and type cast him. It was like...that was your career.

by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2015 7:55 PM

Diane sure looked surprised!

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2015 8:07 PM

Yes, her expression is "Umm, they just told me to sit here because Steve Antin is in the can."

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2015 8:12 PM

Which one of my daughters is that? (they all sort of blur together after a while. )

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2015 8:57 PM

It's Grace, dear. the less tragic one.

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2015 9:59 PM

So, what do we know about super sexy Ed Marinaro?

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2015 10:05 PM

Didn't Ed do Playgirl?

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2015 10:22 PM

"Exactly how was Travanti bat-shit crazy?"

He's said in interviews that he had a "breakdown" when he was 23 and of course he had to struggle with alcoholism. I've heard stories that he's difficult to get along with; that doesn't really constitute "bat-shit crazy:, though. I'd like to hear some experiences from people who actually had to work with him or deal with him on some level. It would be interesting to hear exactly what the behavior was that gave him the nickname "Miss Foo Foo."

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2015 10:44 PM

Was his alcoholism because he was struggling with the closet?

by Anonymousreply 87September 10, 2015 12:53 AM

Was his alcoholism because Ed Marinaro was withholding the cock?

by Anonymousreply 88September 10, 2015 2:19 AM

Is Ed Marinaro retired? I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 89September 10, 2015 7:18 AM

R89 No. He still works. He was a series regular on Spike's series "Blue Mountain State" playing the coach. He's playing the same character in a 2015 movie, same title. He also made a cameo appearance on Days of Our Lives about four years ago, as a salty sea captain who allowed Bo and Hope to use his boat in one of their adventures. You can watch that scene here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2015 9:14 AM

Well, ED's still got all his hair, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2015 5:30 PM

Ed in a CBS afterschool special from the 80s - "What If I'm Gay?". Ed played the coach who counsels the cute young HS student struggling to come out.

If only he had starred in a Catalina or Falcon version of the same story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2015 5:37 PM

I want Ed's Marinaro sauce!

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2015 10:42 PM

Veronica Hamel was a bitter thing if there ever was one. I won the role of Joyce Davenport for HILL STREET BLUES, but Veronica and Barbara Bosson got me addicted to cocaine and pills, so I'd lose the role. Petty and jealous. Just like Barbra Streisand and Steven Spielberg. They singelhandedly ruined my career in Hollywood, Broadway, and the West End. Louise Mandrell also pushed me down the stairs at a party at Wayland Flowers home back in the 80s, too. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2015 10:51 PM

I tripped r94 on the way into Spago's in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2015 11:01 PM

Yeah, thanks Helen. Helen has always hated me since I stole Jamie Farr from her at the 1979 Emmy Awards. She couldn't take having egg on her face in front of the entire industry. I sure had Jamie's man-milk all over MY face by the end of the night. And that man is a wonder in the sack. It was the best I had since Claude Akins nearly chewed my clit off in his dressing room backstage at The Carson Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2015 11:21 PM

Susan rarely bathed.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2015 11:27 PM

Xenu is calling, Prather. Also, Prather did anal with Bernie Kopell when she guest-starred on LOVE BOAT. She also went back to see "Dr. Bricker" for quite a bit of anal dicking until the show ended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2015 11:30 PM

Honey, I'm still getting anal from Bernie. It's heaven on earth.

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2015 11:45 PM

I'm getting anal from Helen. We've made up, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2015 12:56 AM

"What If I'm Gay" sounds like a campfest

by Anonymousreply 101September 11, 2015 2:26 AM

"What If I'm Gay" starring Ed Marinaro, Evan Handler and cutie Richard Joseph Paul as the gay teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 11, 2015 3:17 AM

Evan Handler looks cute with hair. I would have done him back then. Or if he still looked like that now because back then he would have been arrested.

by Anonymousreply 103September 11, 2015 5:30 AM

That's Evan Handler? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 104September 11, 2015 8:02 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 105September 12, 2015 1:32 AM

No mention of DL fave Gabrielle Carteris? I wonder how much older she was than her character in this one?

by Anonymousreply 106September 12, 2015 2:14 AM

[quote] Travanti was very neurotic. I remember in the 90s he was always doing interviews about how Hill Street ruined his career and type cast him. It was like...that was your career.

We should all have your problems, Danny.

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2015 2:35 AM

That's great stuff, R56. In hindsight it seems like a lot of these columnists slyly outed people with little mentions here and there, or a curious photo. Most people just skim right over it but when you know what you're looking for, it's there.

by Anonymousreply 108September 12, 2015 9:17 AM

Sounds as if Travanti had become such a tiresome pain in the ass to work with that few wanted to cast him after Hill Street Blues. There are dozens of character actors of his "type" to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2015 11:22 PM

Some HSB trivia. Kiel Martin was seriously considered for the role of Arnie Becker in "L.A. Law, but was such a wreck due to his struggle with alcoholism that Corbin Bernsen got the role instead. Too bad; he would have played the sleazy, womanizing Arnie to perfection. Kiel Martin died in his midforties of lung cancer, no doubt brought on by years of smoking and drinking. I thought he was the best looking guy on HSB, but his character was so fucked up I had a hard time believing any woman would want to have anything to do with him. He was perfect as J.D. LaRue...maybe because he WAS J.D. LaRue? Anyway, it was sad he died so young. He, Michael Conrad, Rene Enriquez, and Trinidad Silva all died prematurely; very fine actors all.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2015 12:57 AM

Wow, I remember Michael Conrad died in the 2nd or 3rd season, and as a kid at the time it didn't seem like a big deal - I didn't really watch the show, although my parents did, and Conrad seemed like an old guy. I just looked it up - he had just turned 58 a month before he died! Amazing how that age once seemed old, but as I get closer to it, it doesn't seem so old.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2015 4:17 AM

Let's be careful out there.

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2015 4:24 AM

HSB was a perfectly cast show.

by Anonymousreply 113September 14, 2015 7:36 AM

Travanti was supposedly very difficult to work with. He built an awful reputation, which is why after Hill Street Blues, his roles dried up. I heard he really loved the theater anyway, so he went back to it. I've heard he's difficult in his roles there as well.

I can't believe no one has asked this yet--Is Travanti top, bottom, versatile, or some mix of those?

by Anonymousreply 114September 14, 2015 10:48 AM

I don't see a lot of people from that show still acting anymore. I haven't heard Dennis Franz's name since [italic]NYPD Blue[/italic] went off the air, and I haven't seen Bruce Weitz or Ed Marinaro in anything in years. At least Betty Thomas has her directing career to fall back on.

by Anonymousreply 115September 14, 2015 1:31 PM

I remember my mom HATED Barbara Bosson because her stupidity caused a contestant to lose on Pyramid.

I just googled this and apparently it was worth someone uploading it to YouTube.

[quote] Uploaded on Jan 22, 2010

Barbara Bosson only played this game one week in the entire history of Pyramid. This clip shows one of the reasons why; she's one of the worst ever. Of course the cordial Dick tells her that she's a good player!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2015 1:55 PM

She's better at receiving than giving.

by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2015 2:30 PM

Barbara Bosson got the role of Faye Furillo because she was married to Stephen Bochco. She sure as hell didn't get it because she was charming or talented. Her nagging Faye Furillo was one of the most unbearable characters on a show that was full of them. I always wondered how she and Frank ended up married. He was always so calm, cool and reasonable and she was always whining and bitching and acting like an idiot. I guess he must have been drunk all of the time during their courtship and marriage. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2015 3:42 PM

Furillo was having an affair with Joyce Davenport rather than continue to pretend he was still attracted to that harridan to whom he was married.

It's odd to see how things that were a big deal 30 years ago are now commonplace on TV.

by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2015 3:57 PM

R87 I've always thought so. He drank because he couldn't come out of the closet, or deal with being the stud football player who liked the showers too much. One day it just got to be too much for him and he snapped.

by Anonymousreply 120June 20, 2016 3:25 AM

Michael Conrad died of PENIS CANCER. Damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 20, 2016 4:04 AM

What was the meaning of that "pizza man" that furillo and Joyce had between them?

by Anonymousreply 122June 20, 2016 5:28 AM

He delivered the sausage.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2016 5:52 AM

I think Davenport gave him the nickname "Pizza Man" because when he first asked her out on a date (she declined) he suggested they go out for pizza. He's also Italian, so that may have had something to do with it, too.

Watching old episodes reveals that the show still holds up pretty well. It really is a good representation of the stuff cops have to deal with and the cops are a mixture of good, bad, and very, very bad. But the show became a formula very quickly: Belker on the phone with his mother, Faye barging into the squad room bitching to Frank about something, LaRue always scheming, the endless ending scenes of Davenport and Furillo in bed. And the Grace Gardner storyline got tedious very quickly; the novelty of a horny older woman wore thin just like that. After a breakup, Grace and Phil Esterhaus unite and she pants 'oh Phil! Hold me! Kiss me! Make me yours again!" Yech!

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2016 3:01 PM

MIDNIGHT CROSSING is an all time classic.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2016 6:09 PM

" What Daniel J. Travanti Will Put In His Mouth But Earl Holliman Wouldn't ! "

[i.e. How Travanti Bagged That Hot Marine Boy]

by Anonymousreply 126June 21, 2016 7:42 PM

Speaking of Earl Holliman, how is he doing these days?

by Anonymousreply 127June 21, 2016 8:50 PM

What did Daniel think of Veronica Hamel?

by Anonymousreply 128June 21, 2016 9:17 PM

There are plenty of straight difficult actors. And I'm not justifying being difficult or having a fucked up personality but when you are gay, female, or "other" you agreeableness has to always be on point, EVEN in hollywood. I can't wait for the double standard to be shattered.

by Anonymousreply 129June 21, 2016 10:08 PM

I used to peg him

by Anonymousreply 130June 24, 2016 11:23 PM

On YouTube there was (is?) a very long interview with Travanti. It's several videos; like I said, it's very long. And very dull. Travanti is not an interesting person at all. I watched some of it, but lost interest very quickly.

He was asked about his co-stars. His observations about them are incredibly boring. He had this to say about Veronica Hamel: "she's beautiful inside and out."

by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2016 11:40 PM

Travanti hit on a guy that I knew in the 80s. Straight but VGL, I don't he knew it but i did.

by Anonymousreply 132June 25, 2016 12:17 AM

^I don't think

by Anonymousreply 133June 25, 2016 12:25 AM

[quote]He had this to say about Veronica Hamel: "she's beautiful inside and out."

So he's seen the videos of her colonoscopy?

by Anonymousreply 134June 25, 2016 2:59 AM

DJT has never admitted to being gay. How can anyone know for sure. All I know is that I loved him on HSB and still love the old man that he is today.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2016 4:29 AM

He never "admitted" to being gay publicly but he never went to huge lengths to hide it, either

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2016 3:13 PM

From Wikipedia: Travanti has publicly acknowledged his past as an alcoholic who found sobriety through Alcoholics Anonymous, calling the affliction a "disease of loneliness and secrecy." In 1981, he made such a confession to Rona Barrett in an interview on NBC and even recited, from memory, all of the organization's "Twelve Steps" on camera. Captain Furillo, his best-known character, was also a recovering alcoholic, and the character was shown multiple times taking part in AA meetings.

I was going to post this on the "Partner in AA" thread but they would go absolutely, stark raving mad over there.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2016 3:34 PM

Travanti is back on TV as a recurring character on NCIS Los Angeles. He is completely unrecognizable. I had seen his character in other episodes and never had an "I can't place his face" experience. I watched an episode this evening and noticed his name in the credits. Was stunned to see he plays Callen's father

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 6, 2018 7:41 AM

If anyone ever wants to see him in his full on queendom, check out a deliciously bad B movie called Midnight Crossing starring him, DL fave Fay Dunaway, Samantha from Sex and the City and John Laughlin. He plays Fays husband but he is laughable at trying to seem straight by that time.

Obviously this was way after HSB.

by Anonymousreply 139January 6, 2018 7:47 AM

R84, he made one helluva sauce.

by Anonymousreply 140January 6, 2018 8:02 AM

[quote]R45 The last thing I saw him in was in an awful movie from the late 80s - "Midnight Crossing" - costarring Faye Dunaway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 6, 2018 8:27 AM

[quote] Travanti was very neurotic. I remember in the 90s he was always doing interviews about how Hill Street ruined his career and type cast him. It was like...that was your career.

Why do stage actors condescend towards television while gladly cashing the paychecks?

by Anonymousreply 142January 6, 2018 11:01 AM

Vintage gossip:

“Travanti, Daniel. "Was known as "miss hoo-hoo" on the set of hill street blues because the moment the camera stopped rolling, the straight mask dropped."“

by Anonymousreply 143January 6, 2018 12:14 PM

Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 144January 6, 2018 2:48 PM

Reading R143's post, why do I get the feeling this is who Daniel turned into when the cameras were turned off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 6, 2018 3:01 PM

[quote]I got the impression that he was a bit of a diva back then, who thought highly of himself and let it be known that he was a theater trained ACTOR!

And what, pray tell, is wrong with THAT?!?

by Anonymousreply 146January 6, 2018 3:33 PM

He gets a free pass because he's not a predator.

by Anonymousreply 147January 6, 2018 3:36 PM

^ Are we sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 148January 6, 2018 11:33 PM

I just watched an episode of Perry Mason called "The Case Of The Midnight Howler". DJT was the guilty one. What a sexy man he was, and he aged quite well. What a body on him.

by Anonymousreply 149April 12, 2019 2:05 PM

trtyry

by Anonymousreply 150April 13, 2019 2:36 AM

This cover should be used in textbooks as to women's role in Hollywood.

Veronica Hamel played a lawyer on HILL STREET BLUES, yet it's necessary her business suit be pulled open all the way to the waist (?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 17, 2019 1:26 PM

He reminds me of Frasier's father on FRASIER.

by Anonymousreply 152April 17, 2019 1:41 PM

Arrogant asshole. Monumental ego. Unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 153April 17, 2019 1:41 PM

R153-It's always the two bit actors who have the biggest egos. E.G.-SCOTT BAIO

by Anonymousreply 154April 17, 2019 2:43 PM

C'mon, he may be a douche but you really think he's on the same level as Scott Baio (who's not only talent-free but a Trumpster to boot)?

by Anonymousreply 155April 17, 2019 5:42 PM

He was in an interesting movie in 1971 called "The Love War", starring Lloyd Bridges and Angie Dickinson.

It was science fiction. The style was similar to The Outer Limits, except in color.

by Anonymousreply 156April 17, 2019 5:46 PM

When Bochco died last April, the Lake Forester column in the Chicago Tribune interviewed Travanti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 17, 2019 8:34 PM

"Veronica Hamel played a lawyer on HILL STREET BLUES, yet it's necessary her business suit be pulled open all the way to the waist (?)"

I guess it's supposed to be "sexy." She looks naked under the jacket and both men are pawing her. How gross.

by Anonymousreply 158April 28, 2019 3:43 AM

Trivia: Veronica Hamel was a top model in New York for years before turning to acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 28, 2019 4:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 28, 2019 4:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 28, 2019 4:44 PM

What is HSB?

by Anonymousreply 162April 28, 2019 4:46 PM

Never mind, I realized it's Hill Street Blues.

by Anonymousreply 163April 28, 2019 4:47 PM

An amazing thing about Michael Conrad; he always looked the same. He was on dozens of tv series: 'Bonanza", "That Girl", "All In The Family", "Lost In Space", "The Waltons", The Rockford Files", "Starsky and Hutch", "Soap", "Little House on The Prairie", and many others. He was in movies like "The Longest Yard" and "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" And in all of them his appearance barely changed. He seemed ageless. What a shame he died so young. He was quite a talented actor and his Phil Esterhaus was one of the best characters on HSB.

by Anonymousreply 164April 28, 2019 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!