Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Three's Company After Chrissie / The Ropers.

Since the Laverne And Shirley / Happy Days Thread is getting off track, I'll start one.

Please use this thread to talk about your feeling about "Three's Company after Chrissie left or after the Ropers Left.

I am not a great Don Knotts fan, I thought he did OK on the show, but it was much better with the Ropers. He was a good replacement for the Ropers but I like the Ropers better.

by Anonymousreply 167December 6, 2020 3:28 AM

Nothing worse than a thread controlling bottom

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2015 2:26 PM

I'm in the minority, but, I liked Priscilla Barnes and preferred her episodes to Suzanne's or Jenilee's. I liked Mrs. Roper a lot and she cancelled out leather-face Norman Fell's irritation-factor. Though I too thought Knotts a one trick pony, his Mr. Furley didn't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2015 2:34 PM

I liked them all except Larry. When I watched it as a kid. ..... Middle School. It was unwatchable. Even worse were the couple of episodes of Three's a Crowd. Uh Oh. I brought up another show. OcdP is going to have to start another thread.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2015 2:38 PM

Here's Jenilee in a DL Classic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2015 2:56 PM

Here's Priscilla Barnes-Monte's website, OP. She'd love to hear your praise, R2. Why don't you write her at her website? She's always loved talking about THREE'S COMPANY.

Oh wait she has a website with a contact page, but when you go to the page, there's no way to actually contact her. Is that supposed to mean something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2015 2:59 PM

Poor Prissy, I followed her contact link and it finally led me to a "page not found" reference. It's kind of like her career

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2015 3:21 PM

Actually she's worked pretty consistently. So fuck you Joyce. You and your gangbang bugeyes.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2015 3:42 PM

The episodes with Lana were the best.

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2015 3:47 PM

[quote]Actually she's worked pretty consistently

Yes her career as a "speaker" is consistent, of course in my day we called them "whores."

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2015 3:51 PM

I liked the shows more after Summers left.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2015 4:04 PM

I like the earlier shows better although I did think Lana brought a fun twist when the show needed something. Neither DeWitt nor Somers was a particularly good actress but I think it worked for a slapsticky, silly sitcom. Jenilee Harrison wasn't very good and noticeably younger than Ritter & DeWitt (even to my 13 year old eyes) so the dynamic didn’t work. I was mostly done watching by the time Barnes joined & I didn't think she had much of a flair for comedy either. Someone else mentioned she seemed to be more a secondary character than a member of the trio and I think that's a good assessment.

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2015 4:27 PM

No love for Larry? He married Barrie Youngfellow.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2015 4:40 PM

[quote]No love for Larry? He married Barrie Youngfellow.

No, he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2015 5:55 PM

I loved Mr. Furley! Thought he was much better than the one-note Ropers (though I'll admit everyone on that show only had one note.) Even though Lana's run on the show was very brief, her scenes with Furley were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2015 6:01 PM

Larry was repulsive. Did that actor have any other roles?

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2015 7:30 PM

Larry was gross. How anyone believed he was some kind of ladies man. His polyester suits and brillo hair.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2015 7:42 PM

I'm with R11.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2015 7:49 PM

I've been watching the 3 reruns a day that TVLD has been showing in the morning. The character of Felipe had a bigger role than I remembered. I preferred the Cindy episodes the best. She could keep up with the others with her physical comedy. I bet they all had bruises from some of the scenes that they had to do. Sure Jenilee was a little green with her acting but she was improving as her time on the show went on. The Terri years were the second best era for me. I think both of the later roommates added new ideas & dynamics that wouldn't have been possible if Chrissy was there from start to finish. Terri's nursing background really helping in more episodes than I remembered as well. I couldn't imagine what the show would have turned into if they hadn't dumped Suzanne Somers when they did. My favorite episode was when the Ropers returned & interacted with Mr. Furley. Second was the camping episode with Lana & Chrissy being present.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2015 7:55 PM

But how many times could you watch the ironing board eat Cindy?

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2015 7:59 PM

R19 Plenty since I've seen each episode too many times to count.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2015 8:02 PM

Why cant I remember Lana? Was she funny?

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2015 8:08 PM

It's because you're older than both the Ropers combined R21! She was funny to old people so check her out on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2015 8:18 PM

[R22] sweetie, I was born in 1980 so my memories of the show are based on reruns.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2015 8:21 PM

Calm down R21. It was just an obvious joke. Besides you should be able to remember her if you only saw the show in reruns. I'M CALLING YOUR BLUFF HERE & NOW!

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2015 8:27 PM

But we're not allowed to have a puppy!

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2015 8:39 PM

[R22] sorry.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2015 8:45 PM

Mr. Furley was awesome. Lana was great.

Knowing what I know now about Suzanne's behind the scenes antics makes me like her less in the show.

Also, why did Chrissy and Cindy's father look like Ricardo Montalban? He was hot, but looked nothing like them.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2015 9:30 PM

r27

cindy was chrissy's cousin not sister

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2015 9:37 PM

Chrissy's dad looked like hot rough trade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2015 9:37 PM

I always had a thing for Mr Angelino. Gotta luv those corporate bossy bottom types!

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2015 9:41 PM

Guest spots by Bob Mandan & Jeffrey Tambor were the best moments of any era in this fiasco masquerading as classic TV

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2015 9:42 PM

John Ritter got his karmic comeuppance for this abomination: death!

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2015 9:47 PM

Nice try R32. I respect John Ritter as a wonderful physical comedian. However, that show was mindless trash. He deserved much better than being stuck in yoga poses and tired innuendo about 'Greedy Getchen'

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2015 9:55 PM

Don't start knocking Greedy Gretchen or the DL will lose it!

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2015 9:58 PM

Greedy Gretchen was only seen in one episode and Teresa Ganzel is a genius who never really got her due in terms of landing an iconic role in a long-running sitcom--someone smart in LA looking for a still sexy older lady to really make their series funny should snap her up and put her on a show. Surprised she didn't do a HOT IN CLEVELAND. She'd have actually been a much more interesting replacement for Harrison than Barnes. Certainly a warmer, funnier one.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2015 10:05 PM

R12 - Barrie Youngfellow troll here. I've wondered about that. Some places online say Kline and Youngfellow were married in real life; but it's not on his or her Wikipedia. Did someone just get confused because he played her husband on the iconic sitcom IT'S A LIVING? Or were they dating/married at the time and Barrie, being star of the show and all, threw her weight around and got him the job?

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2015 10:08 PM

Come and knock on my door. The kisses are hers and hers and his three's company to. Boo bop be do do.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2015 10:11 PM

Someone on another thread claimed Lucille Ball was the original choice to play the cougar in heat Lana

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2015 10:12 PM

Lucy was rejected because all she wanted to do was crush John's ball like they were grapes.

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2015 10:21 PM

I thought it was because Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2015 12:54 AM

Too bad the producers decided to screw over Norman Fell and Audra Lindley instead of finding a way to fit them back on the show when their spinoff failed. The one episode that had the Ropers interacting with Mr. Furley showed real potential. It could have been fun to watch Helen flirt with Mr. Furley just to get a rise out of Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2015 1:02 AM

R35, that is a great thought about Teresa Ganzel. She would have been a fantastic replacement for Somers and, I think, a much better fit than Barnes was for the show. Lost opportunity there for sure.

R36, as I recall, Richard Kline was always married to someone else; he only played BY's husband in the syndicated run of "It's a Living" after TC went off the air.

R41, I agree that was lousy of the producers to do that to Fell and Lindley (even though I think they had promised to bring them back). It was also another great lost opportunity for the show as they could have very well ALL fit in just fine -- i.e., just because the Ropers were back didn't mean Furley couldn't have still been in the show, too. It would have made for a very nice ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2015 2:25 AM

The Ropers spinoff was about as bad as tv can get.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2015 2:31 AM

In the final two seasons, something odd happened to Joyce DeWitt. At the start of the show, Janet was wordly-wise and had a certain toughness. By the time the final season came around, she'd become bubbly and wide eyed. I think, on some level, she was attempting to create a "character" the way Suzanne Sommers had. Go watch an episode form season 2 and then one from season 8. It's like two completely different characters.

Also, DeWitt was very hurt and upset when she wasn't considered to become Jack's wife in the spin-off. She'd convinced herself they were going to ask her, and had a break-down when they didn't. She was very resentful that the final episode of Three's Company basically served as the pilot for Three's a Crowd.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2015 2:42 AM

Interesting, R44. Don't remember where I heard it (or maybe it was something Suzanne Somers said in an interview once) but supposedly, had Chrissy stayed in the show till the end, she and Jack would have ended up together. Again, don't remember where I heard it but there you go.

By the way, during the run of the show (I think before Suzanne left), I remember reading that the producers were considering moving Jack out of the apartment and into his own place upstairs as a way of giving John Ritter, who was getting lots of offers to make films, more time off from the show. If true, they obviously thought better of the idea because Jack never went anywhere (and neither did Ritter's film career).

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2015 2:50 AM

That wedding they had in the apartment to start the spinoff....cheap ass fucks.

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2015 2:51 AM

I loved the E! THS they did on Three's Company.

DeWitt was so jealous and bitter but relished the failure of Three's A Crowd.

They also interviewed Barnes and she seemed equally bitter. Harrison, too but she seemed cool with it stating that her character was not exactly one you would crack sex jokes to. I guess jumping to the #1 show Dallas helped make her happier in the end.

Can't remember if they interviewed Somers or not. I have heard say she has no ill will and couldn't understand why Ritter and DeWitt were so bitter since if she had gotten a pay raise then so would they.

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2015 2:56 AM

Janet became a shrill harpie once teamed up with the nurse. Let us not forget the awful nose job too.

Once Chrissy left & the ropers spinoff bombed, Janet should have been flushed, the ropers reinstalled as landlords, and jack takes in Larry & furley as his new roommates.

The cheesecake could have come from a revolving door of lady friends hooking up with the fellas.

The love triangle between furley, Lana, & Helen mentioned up thread could have been comedy gold!

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2015 2:57 AM

We had this in the UK, I was at University and fell into a state of melancholy when the series fell apart. I think it was a combination of my coming out and the series fumble that caused me to drop out at my third year.

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2015 3:13 AM

Harrison's casting on Dallas was one of the oddest castings ever. I never understood it. Joyce must have come apart at the seams when that happened.

by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2015 3:17 AM

R50 The producers basically had no choice at this point. Somers was hijacking the show at the beginning of the 1980 season and they never knew if she was gonna show up or not. The E ths is fascinating on this this subject. Somers was interviewed and she said she cracked her ribs during her Vegas show and of course the producers didn't buy it, had enough and cast Harrison. Her greedy husband wanted too much money. But they would've had to give Ritter and DeWitt more too so if it was just Somers alone she may have negotiated for close to what she wanted. She also wanted part ownership of the show which was quite insane too. That's something she never would've got.

by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2015 3:51 AM

And then she tortured us with She's The Sheriff.

That's when I first noticed her Russian weightlifter's neck.

by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2015 4:08 AM

I said Harrison's casting on Dallas. She was fine for Three's Company. No one tripped over a floor better than Jennilee Harrison. But battling for oil rights on Dallas? It was just odd casting.

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2015 4:09 AM

Cindy arrives at Southfork. Looking amazingly pretty with her grown out hair, a tan, and jeans. Patrick Duffy knows how to pack a speedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2015 4:18 AM

I liked her on Dallas even though her character was a bit of a rube. Isn't she a savvy real estate investor now?

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2015 5:02 AM

Even though I was a little gayling I was fascinated by Jenilee Harrison's breasts. They were so firm and didn't jiggle at all, even though the producers tried to get her bouncing around as much as possible. Were they fake? Or was she just really young and firm?

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2015 5:23 AM

On Hollywood Squares, Jenilee Harrison made a very innocent joke about Joan Rivers love life. This happened to be maybe after a year after the death of her husband Edgar, and Joan screamed and yelled and walked off the set, at the supposed insensitivity of someone making such a joke. Jennilee Harrison was crying in her square.

This had been reported in the Post, so who knew if it was true, but John Davidson came on Howard Stern and Howard asked him about it. Davidson got pretty serious and said it that what Joan did was inexcusable and unprofessional. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2015 6:32 AM

Found the original item. God I love the internet.

Before a taping of Hollywood Squares, Joan Rivers had the cast and crew screaming with laughter when she jokingly claimed to have spent the night with fellow Square Jm J. Bullock. But when Dallas' Jennilee Harrison tried to mine the same Rivers comedy vein with the cameras rolling, Joan exploded. Asked by host John Davidson what it was that Howard Hughes once did for 7½ hours, Harrison cracked, "I don't know what it was, but it probably made Joan happy." Rivers screamed, "Stop tape!" and said that in view of her recent widowhood the joke was inappropriate. A Squares aide says, "Jennilee made every effort to apologize for her questionable joke." Rivers says, "She got upset because I was upset, and then that got me more upset. We stood in the hall and cried." (Turns out that Hughes was testifying at a Senate hearing for those 7½ hours.)

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2015 6:34 AM

[quote] The kisses are hers and hers and his three's company to

When I was little, I thought they were singing "the kisses are herzin, herzin in. Three's Company, too. I figured it was a word I didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2015 6:42 AM

[quote] Before a taping of Hollywood Squares, Joan Rivers had the cast and crew screaming with laughter when she jokingly claimed to have spent the night with fellow Square Jm J. Bullock. But when Dallas' Jennilee Harrison tried to mine the same Rivers comedy vein with the cameras rolling, Joan exploded. Asked by host John Davidson what it was that Howard Hughes once did for 7½ hours, Harrison cracked, "I don't know what it was, but it probably made Joan happy." Rivers screamed, "Stop tape!" and said that in view of her recent widowhood the joke was inappropriate. A Squares aide says, "Jennilee made every effort to apologize for her questionable joke." Rivers says, "She got upset because I was upset, and then that got me more upset. We stood in the hall and cried." (Turns out that Hughes was testifying at a Senate hearing for those 7½ hours.)

Rivers was a loathesome cunt who could dish it out but could never take it. Humorless twat.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2015 6:44 AM

R59: when I was an 8yo watching, I didn't know the word 'rendezvous'

As a result, I thought the end was saying:

Shala Dom be de doo

Instead of:

Down at our rendezvous

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2015 6:48 AM

I am waiting for the knock at the door to confiscate my gay card since I was ignorant to the existence of the word and concept of rendezvous as an 8yo gayling

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2015 6:53 AM

I always thought that guy was singing "naughty naughty nayvoo."

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2015 10:08 AM

Jenilee wore a cowboy hat for her first scenes in both 3's Company and Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2015 1:58 PM

If I were Jamie Ewing, I would have hooked my thumbs into the waistband of Bobby's speedos, yanked those suckers down, and gone to town on his thick, veiny shaft, Jenna Wade be damned. But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2015 1:58 PM

Considering that Three's Company was a remake of "Man About The House," and "The Ropers" was a remake of "George and Milded," it was absurd for deWitt to think she'd be part of "Three's A Crowd," which was a remake of the British series, "Robin's Nest."

The Janet of "Man About The House," had no place in "Robin's Nest," so how could the "American Janet" expect to?

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2015 2:11 PM

I actually liked The Ropers spinoff. Three's a Crowd just had no real purpose.

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2015 2:33 PM

I loved Anne the neighbor, she was such a good child actress....

Give me those shoes.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2015 2:59 PM

Patrick Duffy in those black speedos - wow.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2015 3:37 PM

Jenilee must have known or blown someone to get Dallas. I mean of all the people to cast for a pivotal role for two seasons on a top rated show. Who said "Let's get that girl who replaced Suzanne Somers on that show....what do you call it ...Three's Company. You know the one who trips over everything?" It was just odd.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2015 3:41 PM

Richard Kline played Martha's dad on The Americans.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2015 3:45 PM

Joyce DeWitt and Richard Kline meet fans of the show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2015 3:49 PM

[quote] [R59]: when I was an 8yo watching, I didn't know the word 'rendezvous' As a result, I thought the end was saying: Shala Dom be de doo Instead of: Down at our rendezvous

That is hilarious. After I'd shut down my laptop for the night, I remembered I'd also misheard that lyric, too, and thought they were singing "something, something Dormez-vous," probably because I was much closer to Frere-Jacques age than rendezvousing age.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2015 3:59 PM

I used to stand up and do Priscilla Barne's flamingo move. You know you did too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2015 4:20 PM

[quote]I used to stand up and do Priscilla Barne's flamingo move. You know you did too.

I only tried the one time, then toppled over like a Weeble.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2015 4:50 PM

Pris was the only one (principal cast, supporting/guest actors, crew, executives) who wouldn't talk to Chris Mann for his exhaustive book on the show, COME AND KNOCK ON OUR DOOR.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2015 5:45 PM

So what were Joyce and Priscilla so bitter about? That the show ruined their careers?

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2015 9:18 PM

"Three's Company"? I never heard of it. I recall a hilarious John Ritter sitcom, but that wasn't the name of it.

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2015 9:23 PM

The girl they got to play Ritter's wife in Three's a Crowd was really awful. Even worse than Jennilee Harrison. They actually would have been better off going with Joyce DeWitt.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2015 9:27 PM

I hope R79 was posting on his phone while driving, and after he hit "send" he hit the jersey barrier, went spinning off the road, down an embankment, rolled over four times, and is currently caught in his car that's engulfed in flames.

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2015 9:34 PM

Mary you were good.......On the $10,000 Pyramid that is

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2015 9:36 PM

On the ETHS, the producers admitted that there was a giant mistake not allowing Jack to marry Janet. The audiences had come to expect that absolutely, the Jack character would fall in love with the Janet character, and that's where the writing in the final season was unquestionably going. One episode has Jack reading an advice column where a girl says she's in love with her male roommate and Jack naturally thinks Janet wrote it. Their banter in the episode opened doors in that relationship that had been slammed slut before. Another had Jack and Janet sign up for computer dating and of course, the computer matches the two of them up. By just having him marry this stewardess who the audiences didn't even know, they created ill will and they never gave TAC a chance.

Ritter to his credit said that it wouldn't have worked because we've already met Janet's family and they all loved Jack so the tension wouldn't have been there.

by Anonymousreply 82September 6, 2015 9:40 PM

Barnes and deWitt became best friends during the show and still are good friends. They both became bitter not at the show but at the producers and the whole way Hollywood treats people in general. I recall deWitt saying that Hollywood is allowed to treat the people that make them like garbage and when called on it, write it off to, "That's the nature of the business." She then add it wasn't the nature and it was just an excuse to allow people to be abused.

What deWitt failed to realize, is although she is correct, it's pretty much all business that sap their workers not just Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2015 9:41 PM

[quote]we've already met Janet's family and they all loved Jack

So, the Golden Girls all met Rose's daughter who suddenly turned into a major bitch once her mother had a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2015 9:42 PM

It would have been like Jack fucking his sister.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2015 9:45 PM

[quote]So, the Golden Girls all met Rose's daughter who suddenly turned into a major bitch once her mother had a heart attack.

My beer is Rheingold , the dry beer

Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer

It's not bitter, not sweet

It's the extra dry treat

Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beeeeeeer!

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2015 9:52 PM

While the actors signed standard contracts for back then (residuals for a certain number of reruns and that's it), and one would assume those contracts, particularly for later seasons, were negotiated by seasoned agents, there is the fact that 3'S has yielded several huge pots of gold the actors/their estates don't share in. It was sold into syndication for $300M, the actors didn't get any of that. It's had several subsequent lives on home video, cable, streaming, etc.

So even though it follows the actors around (how many people do you think call Joyce "Janet" to her face or ask "come and knock on my door?" when they see her) and they pretty much have to be gracious about signing DVDs, etc. that they don't get a share in.

Yes, the contract was followed. But with the series being such an ongoing windfall, it might have been gracious to set aside, what, 5%? 10%? either as a one time gift or ongoing to go to the actors. Maybe split among the principal actors with opening title credits. Same with BRADY BUNCH, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, so many series like that where the actors still have to work because they don't share in the series income. And the actors are the thing about the series that people love, not the producers or studio execs or others who are getting the entirety of the series income, so while it may be contractually what's on paper, it doesn't feel really right or fair when there's been such an abundance of money to go around.

And it's not like the actors had a huge windfall and squandered it. While they were paid well per episode for that time, the actors on these classic shows made NOTHING like what the principals on FRIENDS, FRASIER or HOME IMPROVEMENT made just a generation later.

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2015 10:00 PM

Here's what we used to sing for the theme song:

Come and knock up our whore

She's been waiting to screw

Where the pisses are hers and hers and his

Three's hump-any too

Come and fuck on our floor

Try a position that's new

There's a lovable crotch that needs your face

Three's hump-any too

You'll see that you can get laid again

You can get balled again

Orgies are calling for you

Come on over to screw

Three's hump-any too

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2015 10:28 PM

Yes Joyce DeWitt hates Hollywood so much that in interviews the old prune face bitch thinks it's funny when she calls it "Hollyweird"

Oh Joyce stick to getting drunk and appearing in the regional theatre production of Annie as Miss Hannigan, that's art imitating life if I ever saw it!

Joyce DeWitt in Annie coming to a high school gymnasium near you!

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2015 11:13 PM

Do you think Joyce's L'eggs money is gone too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2015 11:22 PM

Joyce and Ritter hated Chrissie, because they were afraid, she'd get the show cancelled or without her it would tank. Both knew it was the only "real" work they'd ever get. Ritters mediocre sitcom life, not withstanding.

Kind of like how Rhea Pearlman hated Shelly Long, for leaving Cheers. Rhea thought it would kill Cheers and her job. Oddly, Long leaving Cheers was the best thing in the world for the show and brought it back to life.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2015 11:29 PM

R90 that money is long gone! That old cunt drank it away years ago! You guys want to see something really scary? Then Google Joyce's recent DUI arrest picture, that'll keep you up at night!

But don't worry Joyce I hear Depends is looking for a new spokeperson.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2015 11:43 PM

Hooperman was Ritter's best work.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2015 11:46 PM

You were saying, R92?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 7, 2015 12:46 AM

I think Barnes was unhappy because her role was never really well-defined and she was always basically just 'third roommate.' Sometimes she was an intelligent nurse, other times she was goofy and scatterbrained like Chrissy. Most often she was just there so the title of the show was still accurate. I believe she tried several times to get out of her contract. I know she has said her time on the show was the unhappiest time of her life.

By the time she was on the show the producers weren't very subtle in considering "Three's Company" The John Ritter Show. As long as they kept him front and center the rest of the cast was replaceable. Obviously they were wrong since "Three's A Crowd" flopped pretty hard but at the time they were a bit justified in their thinking. So many cast shakeups on "Three's Company" and yet the show continued to be popular.

by Anonymousreply 95September 7, 2015 3:40 AM

Jesus h surely that picture of Somers has been photoshopped.....Three's a Crowd might have worked with a better cast. Everyone they surrounded ritter with on that show was a dud. Every single fucking one. I hate that Robert Mandan or whatever the fuck his name was. it might have helped too if the sets weren't so cheap...and didn't look just like the set of Three's Company. It's like they didn't even try.

by Anonymousreply 96September 7, 2015 4:04 AM

Come on, r96. Jessica Walter was never a dud in anything and she was well-cast as Mary Cadorette's mom. The problem was Jack Tripper, for all his alleged womanizing, was ultimately a very sexless character. At the most he was a dirty-minded little kid making obvious sex jokes. No one wanted to see him settle down with a woman and explore an adult relationship. Even Ritter didn't seem to know how to play it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 7, 2015 4:20 AM

There's a crowd was doomed from the start. The wind was already out of the sails of the mothership. Perhaps it would have worked had they done it about 3 years earlier. Also, the jack tripper character wasn't compelling enough to be on TV that long. Ritter gave a great performance, but the character was actually rather boring.

In conclusion, TV's Bob Mandan was the best thing about the crowd fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 98September 7, 2015 4:24 AM

It would have had a little more spark if it was Jessica he was fucking.

by Anonymousreply 99September 7, 2015 4:33 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 7, 2015 4:46 AM

The only problem with Three's a Crowd is that it was complete and utter shit that made the original series look like Frasier by comparison. It died a quick death because it deserved to, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 101September 7, 2015 4:52 AM

Three's a Crowd was the equivalent of The Golden Palace and Archie Bunker's Place.

by Anonymousreply 102September 7, 2015 4:59 AM

I liked the first couple of seasons bests when the show was actually raunchy. The things that I hated was every episode revolving around a stupid misunderstanding, the complete dumbing down of Chrissy and the excessive makeup that the girls wore at all times. I know the show from reruns, so I'm guessing that was the style of the times, but it was like clown mask.

The roomate's families were a complete disconnect. Like Janet's parents thinking Jack was her husband. How long have the been living together at that point?

I didn't mind Larry, Lana was annoying, Mr. Furley grew on me. However, I still preferred the Ropers, especially Mrs. Roper. I love the idea of bringing them back, even just Helen, with Mr. Furley. Shame they got screwed. I read Norman Fell didn't want to do the spin off for fear it would fail and he would be out of a job. That's exactly what happened.

I can understand why JD was pissed, the ending was terrible. It totally disregarded Janet. Even at her wedding, it was about Jack and the snooze love interested they paired him with. Janet and Terri were afterthoughts. By the end I was shocked how much they aged. It didn't seem realistic that they would still be living together, especially because Jack owned the restaurant, which had a room upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2015 5:48 AM

Joyce's mugshot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 7, 2015 2:08 PM

LOL 104. Was "Michael Jackson" an elaborate fiction created by Ms. DeWitt? One she chose to "kill off" so that she could revive her career as America's big sister? Think about it: you've never seen the two in the same room together!

by Anonymousreply 105September 7, 2015 2:43 PM

Anyone catch this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 7, 2015 3:38 PM

Thanks for linking that, r106. She gets so much shit here but I just can't help liking Joyce DeWitt. She just seems like a sweet person.

by Anonymousreply 107September 8, 2015 7:02 AM

Cum and knock out my whore we've been waiting 4 u. where the pisses are hers and hers and his, Three's company's through.

by Anonymousreply 108September 9, 2015 8:17 PM

Why did the guy who played Larry on the show stopped acting?

by Anonymousreply 109September 9, 2015 8:22 PM

Who the fuck would have wanted him?

by Anonymousreply 110September 10, 2015 12:31 AM

Did dick Kline ever actually start acting?

by Anonymousreply 111September 10, 2015 12:32 AM

Richard Kline is still acting. Mostly in theatre these days I believe.

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2015 1:18 AM

I loved Mr. Furley and never liked Mr. Roper. He always came off as a homophobe. The episode where they introduced Terri was really disturbing to me. The horrible way Jack treated her just seemed so out of character for him.

by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2015 2:02 AM

Go ahead Jack. You know you want to. I insist.

by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2015 2:08 AM

We learned on the show that the best way to get Suzanne to do anything was by waving a hundred dollar bill in front of her face and leading her to the soundstage. That method has worked well as she's shilled everything from a cheaply made piece of fabric disguised as a poncho to cures for cancer.

She'd hump a dog if there was a thousand in it for her.

by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2015 2:12 AM

Bring on the Doberman bitch. I close my eyes and think of England. And the money!

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2015 2:21 AM

R113, Jack could get really pissy. There was an episode, I think the one where he moved out, that he was very nasty to Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2015 2:29 AM

LOL, r114.

by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2015 2:33 AM

[quote]She'd hump a dog if there was a thousand in it for her.

One-fifty.

by Anonymousreply 119September 10, 2015 3:02 AM

Furley was a trip. Roper and his faces when Jack's supposed gayness came up became so tiresome. Not to mention Mrs Roper's insistence on getting laid all the time. Furley was so corny yet in a totally cool way.

by Anonymousreply 120September 10, 2015 3:09 AM

I actually thought furley came off as more homophobic than roper. In a closet case self hating kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 121September 10, 2015 4:15 AM

I love Roper's homophobia because the joke was always on him. He was lovable, but dumb.

And Normal Fell looking into the camera after zinging Mrs. Roper may be the funniest thing ever on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 10, 2015 4:18 AM

This thread is useless without Norman Fell's dick pics.

by Anonymousreply 123September 10, 2015 3:06 PM

Knotts was probably better hung than Fell . Knotts seemed like the unassuming rube who was packing an anaconda in his pants meanwhile he was a real life Mr Limpet when it came to the dirty deed.

by Anonymousreply 124September 10, 2015 3:10 PM

John Ritter never could pull off an actual good looking guy. You know you're in trouble when the writers go out of their way to say in every other episode how "cute" Jack was. They had to write it in the script cause no one would by it. Ritter was always chubby and flabby and laughable when every single female couldn't keep their hands off him.

No woman would even give Jack Tripper a second glance in real life, nor Larry either.

by Anonymousreply 125September 10, 2015 3:50 PM

[quote]I hate that Robert Mandan

Back off bitch

by Anonymousreply 126September 10, 2015 3:50 PM

R125, While John Ritter's upper body in most episodes wasn't anything to write home about, his muscular defined legs, noticeable butt & hairy chest were enough for lots of male admirers to dream about. His chest was okay to me in a couple of shows where he was shirtless but I always wondered what he would have looked like if he exercised more often. The face was a 6 or 7 out of a possible 10 for me.

by Anonymousreply 127September 10, 2015 4:12 PM

Tyler Ritter is a cutie and played the gay lead convincingly in "The McCarthys".

by Anonymousreply 128September 10, 2015 4:21 PM

I thought Richard Kline was cute. He didn't age particularly well but he looked okay when he was on the show (despite the often horrid way they dressed him).

by Anonymousreply 129September 10, 2015 11:41 PM

I hated Mr. Angelino and the kitchen rat- Pepe? Those episodes were so boring. Everything about Jack and his business was boring. Loved how that wallpaper ion the kitchen made it look Technicolor.

by Anonymousreply 130September 10, 2015 11:48 PM

Was Lucille Ball that much of a fan or did they hold out a carton of cigarettes in front of her to make her do the special?

by Anonymousreply 131September 10, 2015 11:50 PM

R129: my heart goes out to you! How long have you been institutionalized?

by Anonymousreply 132September 10, 2015 11:54 PM

LOL, R132.

by Anonymousreply 133September 10, 2015 11:59 PM

I turned off R106's video after approx 10 minutes. The Q&A was poorly paced and moderated, and Kline was too much of a talkover ham and mic hog. DeWitt and Barnes were extremely patient with, and tolerant, of him (did any of that change later in the video?). The little I did see and hear of DeWitt reinforced how decent she often came off on camera.

by Anonymousreply 134September 11, 2015 12:07 AM

[quote]Everything about Jack and his business was boring.

So true. Never liked any of those episodes.

By the way, I often wondered if the first 5 or so episodes with Cindy were written for Chrissy and retooled for Cindy only because, in those episodes, she actually had a pretty substantial role. But from that point forward (and for the remainder of that season), she was basically made a smiling mannequin with a line here and a line there but placed squarely on the sidelines of the action while Jack and Janet (and even Larry) took center stage. Looking back at those episodes now, it should've been no surprise that she would be eventually kicked to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 135September 11, 2015 12:07 AM

Felipe, R130. And ugh I hated him too!

by Anonymousreply 136September 11, 2015 12:28 AM

He was the stuff of nightmares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 11, 2015 12:28 AM

Felipe was disgusting looking. It was distracting. At least Furley was funny.

by Anonymousreply 138September 11, 2015 2:07 AM

Do they still show the episode where John Ritter's balls fall out of his shorts?

by Anonymousreply 139September 11, 2015 2:15 AM

Behind the Camera The Unauthorized Story of Three's Company. It's a surprisingly good and entertaining movie. The girls are spot on but the guy play John Ritter is a fucking mess with moobs. It was co-produced by Joyce. Maybe it was a little payback in getting such a hack to play John. If you like this show you will really like this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 12, 2015 12:19 AM

R113, that episode is on Antenna tv right now.

by Anonymousreply 141September 12, 2015 4:05 AM

I think Christmas became too broad a character by the end.

by Anonymousreply 142May 12, 2017 4:57 PM

I loved Don Knotts. Mr Furley fit in quite well with the rest of the cast. The whole Ropers bit about Mrs Roper being horny and wanting Stanley became too tiresome too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 143May 12, 2017 5:04 PM

Every actor in it was terrible. Plots were tedious. The original Robins Nest was better.

Yet I loved Threes Company. What was with its appeal.

by Anonymousreply 144May 12, 2017 5:10 PM

Audra Lindley was actually a pretty woman out of character.

by Anonymousreply 145May 12, 2017 5:16 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dean Travers. "TrIIIIIIIIIII-per!"

by Anonymousreply 146May 12, 2017 6:05 PM

I honestly forgot Larry was even a character on the series until this thread

by Anonymousreply 147May 12, 2017 8:39 PM

Ritter was an amazing physical actor. He deserved his Emmy

by Anonymousreply 148May 12, 2017 8:40 PM

By the time Barnes joined the show, John Ritter was in his best physical shape. He lost baby fat, his face looked better, his hair grew out, and his newly toned and tanned upperarms and chest were highlighted in tight pastel polo shirts that marked the end of the 70s and the advent of the 80s. This new body didn't last long. He'd mostly lost it by the Robert Mandan vehicle Three's a Crowd, and after that it was pudge city well into the grave. Nonetheless, he had a couple good, lean years there where his upper and lower halves matched.

by Anonymousreply 149May 12, 2017 10:15 PM

Do you think Ann Wedgeworth, Audra Lindley, and Jordan Charney ever sat around and discussed their old Another World days?

by Anonymousreply 150May 12, 2017 10:22 PM

John Ritter looked great on Three's Company. A few times during the show's run he had a bit of a potbelly, but otherwise he was in good shape and was really handsome. Jack wasn't supposed to be this massive hunk--for all his posturing as a horny ladies' man, he's really a sweet and awkward guy underneath. That's what made the character so popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 12, 2017 10:40 PM

DL fave Dorian Lopinto played Dean Travers' niece in one episode. Where's the Three's Company episode that Julia Montgomery ever did?

by Anonymousreply 152May 13, 2017 12:48 AM

He fills out those bikini briefs very well.

by Anonymousreply 153May 13, 2017 12:53 AM

He should of married Lana.

by Anonymousreply 154May 13, 2017 7:28 PM

Mary Cadorette got better with time.

by Anonymousreply 155June 17, 2017 10:39 PM

R88 , your version of the song had me cracking the fuck up. Because I'm still in fifth grade, mentally.

by Anonymousreply 156June 17, 2017 10:57 PM

I found Richard Kline to be way hotter than John Ritter. Loved his ass in those super tight pants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 17, 2017 11:12 PM

Kline's ass looks terrible in that pic! Was he clenching?

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2017 5:55 PM

Here's a fun gif for Kline AND Ritter fans:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2017 5:56 PM

The producers of Threes Company were ignorant, stingy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 160June 19, 2017 5:58 PM

Yes R158, he was about to comb his hair and was doing that slouch down thing guys do when they're grooming in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 161June 19, 2017 5:58 PM

I thought Three's A Crowd had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 162January 13, 2019 4:22 AM

I was a kd in the 1970s when this show was first aired. We all hated Mr. Furley and preferred the Ropers. Jenilee Harrison was ok, but then she was sidelined rather quickly. Priscilla Barnes was fine, too. But nothing matched the original cast with Suzanne Somers and the Ropers. We didn't like Lana, either, for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 163January 13, 2019 5:38 AM

I don't know how things could have evolved had Chrissy stayed on. They wrote her into a corner.

by Anonymousreply 164December 6, 2020 2:49 AM

Chrissy and the Ropers both were pretty one note. The show's problem was that it really had nowhere to go, comedically w/o them. there was n't much room for character development and Ritter was the only one with real talent.

by Anonymousreply 165December 6, 2020 2:59 AM

I liked Chrissy before she had what I can only assume was a massive stroke.

by Anonymousreply 166December 6, 2020 3:02 AM

Three's a Crowd is a great example of a show that has interesting ingredients but never comes together to amount to anything. The formula for Three's Company was slapstick, innuendo, and bedroom farce, while the formula for Three's a Crowd was ... I'm not sure what. There is no chemistry between Ritter and the woman who plays his wife, and the only premise for comedic tension is that Jack Tripper doesn't get along with his father-in-law, Robert Mandan -- who for some reason in this show comes off as super gay. I do have to say, the show is worth watching to the extent that it is fascinatingly bad, and leaves you wondering "what were they thinking?"

by Anonymousreply 167December 6, 2020 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!