Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hairstyles: The First Lady Edition Vol.1

Pick the best

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2020 1:09 AM

Nobody will ever believe this, but Lady Bird had really good hair. She was always well-coiffed.

She dressed conservatively but she dressed very well. She had some beautiful designer clothes.

Following Jackie Kennedy and with her prominent nose, she was never considered a great beauty. Lyndon was a sadistic bastard as a person. And as a politician, he lied to the American people and escalated the Vietnam war. Some people will never be able to see past those things to who Lady Bird really was.

But Lady Bird's personal style has been underestimated over the years. She deserves more credit for being her own woman and fewer comparisons to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2015 2:20 AM

I prefer Jacquline Kennadey's to Nancy Ragen's or Hillay Clinton's.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2015 2:25 AM

I sort of agree, R1. It's like Michelle Obama - if you can't get past the fact that she's not white - you'll never begin to appreciate who she really is - a wonderfully, complex (sometimes flawed) human being who has led a remarkable life. And I get that some people have lived a long time and never imagined there would a non-white U.S. First Lady.

I see people say and post things about her that are so wrong. But if you let yourself be blinded by bigotry (especially when you can never admit that's the real problem), you'll never to be able to see her objectively.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2015 2:27 AM

However much the GOP tries to canonize Nancy and Ronnie - the truth is the truth. And when they try to portray Nancy as the GOP Jacqueline Kennedy, I have to laugh.

Nancy had the worst case of GOP Helmet Hair ever - it was more impenetrable than Reagan's imagined Star Wars Missile Defense Shield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2015 2:35 AM

OP you left out the Doily Madsen.

Snack cake anyone?

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2015 2:39 AM

Martha (nee Dandridge) Custis Washington was one hot fuckin' babe.

You just had to get past that mob cap and the powdered wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2015 2:40 AM

Um, I had several surnames and "Madsen" was not one of them.

I was born Dolley Payne and I married a wealthy Philadelphia lawyer and fellow Quaker John Todd, Jr. When he died, I married James Madison.

Two rich, successful husbands - Martha Washington was a dog next to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2015 2:45 AM

OP, I wish you had included Barba Buish and Roselin Crater. They were my favorite modern FLs.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2015 3:10 AM

Barba Buish is a man.

And she likes to beat the shit out of asswads who misspell her name.

P.S. Roselin Crater's not too happy about it either.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2015 3:17 AM

I always suspected Jackie Kennedy had problem hair; maybe the opposite of Mamie Eisenhower but still a problem. Her hair was always very "set" looking like her hairdresser used a ton of hair spray. I remember seeing her in high winds and never a hair out of place. She didn't vary that style much at all.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2015 3:26 AM

Jackie Kennedy didn't have perfect hair but it was pretty good. She disliked it, because she felt it was too coarse.

What Jackie Kennedy had was a great sense of personal style and access to some of the best hairdressers in the world. Mr. Kenneth frequently did Jackie's hair was in New York. Jackie specifically did not go for the stiff, over-sprayed helmet hair. She was young and she hated that look

Someone once said that Mr. Kenneth knew how to manage Jackie's hair so that it wasn't overdone - so that Jack Kennedy would want to reach over and brush a lock of her hair off her cheek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2015 3:33 AM

No one used Mr. Ingrid of St. Olaf? Maybe Mrs. Humphrey, when she was Second Lady.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2015 3:54 AM

And Rose Nylund - he still does Rose' s hair when she visits St. Olaf or St. Gustav.

by Anonymousreply 13September 6, 2015 4:51 AM

R8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2019 5:53 AM

Nancy Reagan was the best-coiffed, for me. But I will always have a soft spot for Mamie Eisenhower, cunt extraordinaire.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2019 5:59 AM

I am sorry how could anyone call Hillary, Michelle or Eisenhower's FOTUS hair stylish?

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2019 6:15 AM

R4, Nancy Reagan's hair was appropriate for a woman of her age and station in life, particularly in the 1980s. Nancy Ragen, I'm not so sure about.

R10, I know what you mean, but that's how well-groomed women wore their hair at the time. The modern, looser hairstyles, with stray locks here and there, would have been considered unkempt, especially on a woman in the public eye. As R11 says, Jackie's hair was actually less stiff than most women's hair in the early 60s, and it was very becoming.

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2019 8:16 AM

Lou Hoover, OP, forever and ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2019 10:43 AM

r7 is humor-impaired.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote] OP you left out the Doily Madsen. Snack cake anyone?

I'm as moist as a snack cake after finding this thread!

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2019 9:48 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt actually had wonderful hair - long, thick, and natural blonde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 12:03 AM

Eleanor still had pretty damn good hair when she was older.

She wore it long but pinned up when she was first lady, as matrons did during the 1930s. Of course Eleanor was no beauty, but at least Mother Nature showed her some kindness when handing out brains, and hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 12:07 AM

French first lady.

Brigitte Macron, 66, met her husband (Emmanuel Macron, 40) when she was his school teacher, he was 14... screwed him then, ruined her job and family for the love of a kid. How many male teachers would have been fired and convicted for this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 2:45 AM

Thank you R1 for standing up for Lady Bird. If you read Robert Caro’s books about LBJ—he treated his wife like garbage. Poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 2:53 AM

This wins hands down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 2:55 AM

That is why I voted for Mamie!

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 3:20 AM

Bar Bush, vicious old WASP witch queen that she was, had great hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 3:32 AM

She’s Thing OneTwo because she ate Thing Teo, R27

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 3:49 AM

💇

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2020 11:12 PM

I didn’t even make the survey? That could drive a woman to drink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2020 11:20 PM

Eleanor had lovely hair where it counted - down below. Unfortunately, her husband couldn't satisfy her - his paralysis started at his waist, so she was forced to seek solace from with the maidens in the presidential typing pool.

When they said "There is a magnificent bush in the First Lady's office, they weren't talking about Bar!"

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2020 11:28 PM

First Ladies - lots of photos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2020 11:47 PM

R30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2020 12:08 AM

Michelle Obama's hair was very conservative Washington political wife. The same with Laura Bush.

I've noticed that since Michelle and Laura have left the White House, they don't really wear their hair in conservative first lady styles anymore. Michelle is much more experimental with her hair now. And Laura has grown her hair a little longer and it's more comfortable now.

I guess they can do that now that they are former first ladies and private citizens again just living their lives like anyone else now.

Michelle and Laura, two of my favorite first ladies ever.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2020 12:34 AM

R23, according to age of consent laws in France, a man would not have been convicted

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2020 12:40 AM

This is prophetic! I foresee a time will come when luxury dissolves into the atmosphere like a perfume, and everywhere the simple virtues root and branch and leaf and flower. And on that bench there we'll relax, and taste the fruit of all our actions. Why regret life, which is so much like a dream?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote] Brigitte Macron, 66, met her husband (Emmanuel Macron, 40) when she was his school teacher, he was 14... screwed him then, ruined her job and family for the love of a kid.

They met when he was 14, but they maintain they did not have an affair until he was 18.

If you can prove otherwise, please do so.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2020 12:43 AM

Hillary Clinton has nice hair too. I've always liked the various shades of blonde she has.

But towards the end of her reign as first lady, she had more politican hair then first lady hair. I guess because she was just elected senator of NY state.

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2020 12:45 AM

R37 this is about American first ladies, not foriegn first ladies.

Let's get back on topic please.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2020 12:47 AM

William Rufus King, the boyfriend of the only bachelor President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote] [R37] this is about American first ladies, not foriegn first ladies.

#1) I was addressing a point another poster had made upthread

#2) I will post exactly what I like, where I like, when I like, and as I like.

I have stated my boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2020 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!