Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Return and Redemption of Paula Deen

Slowly but surely, celebrity chef Paula Deen has been making her way back onto our TV screens, occasionally featured on shows hosted by one or both of her sons.

This fall, she'll join Nick Carter and Chaka Khan on season 21 of Dancing with the Stars, ABC's most popular show.

Does the old gal still have it in her? Will she have an accidental titty slip like her fellow Georgian Nancy Grace?

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2018 5:22 AM

"Well, Tom, I sure didn't know if I could learn to do those jigaboos or stepinfetchits or whatever they call 'em but I just put on meemaw's old Al Jolson records and it all came right to me! This ol' white mama got just as much rhythm as any of those cotton-pickin' cottonpickers! Whew, I'm tired! Time for some watermelon and fried chicken!"

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2015 6:53 AM

Fuck Paula Dean.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2015 7:01 AM

She'll be the first out, if she makes it at all.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2015 7:03 AM

R2

I do, every night!

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2015 7:34 AM

Her first dance will be to "Watermelon Man."

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2015 10:18 AM

I think her main problem isn't racism--I doubt she has any malice in her heart--but a lack of common sense.

Not long ago she tweeted an old picture of herself as Lucy, with one of her sons in brown makeup as Ricky. Now, a prudent person in her position would stay far, far away from anything remotely racial in tone or execution but it just didn't occur to her.

I hope to hell she doesn't come out and tap dance or something foolish.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2015 11:07 AM

Big, fat nasty cunt!!! Our media loves to celebrate some of the biggest assholes. And, then, there are all those stupid people who tune in.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2015 11:09 AM

Her publicist should have included her or her husband in the Ashley Madison dump. "BBWF SEEKS BLACK TUBESTEAK"

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2015 12:14 PM

She's been treated like a nigger!

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2015 12:17 PM

Don't forget about me, mates!

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2015 12:28 PM

Now, whatever one thinks of Deen, she's hardly one of "the biggest assholes" out there. We've got Donald Trump running for president, for Christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2015 8:15 PM

R6 that doesn't make sense, Ricky was a "white" Cuban.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2015 8:31 PM

Paula is paired with Louis Van Amstel.

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2015 10:48 AM

----

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2015 11:52 AM

PFFFT!

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2015 11:58 AM

r6, absence or presence of malice has nothing to do with whether an action or attitude is racist or not. She doesn't need to be wearing a white hood to be a bigot. Paula is a straight up racist.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2015 2:26 PM

[quote]absence or presence of malice has nothing to do with whether an action or attitude is racist or not.

R16, so true and profound.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2015 2:30 PM

I didn't like her much to begin with. I don't hate her now. She's too meh to get excited about one way or the other. Her racist behavior is what I expect from white slave staters. Back when I was still dating girls in HS, one of my best friends' mothers was from the most upper crustian segments of Memphis society, and she freaked the fuck out when I dated a Jewish girl. It's how they are, many, many white slave staters.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2015 2:42 PM

Louis is one of the few openly gay pro dancers on the show. Does Paula love the gays?

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2015 4:13 PM

[quote]absence or presence of malice has nothing to do with whether an action or attitude is racist or not.

In your opinion. However, it speaks directly to the nature and intentions of the person accused of wrongdoing, which is why it's an important concept in the law.

Calling someone like Paula Deen or Giuliana Rancic a "straight up racist" is ultimately blunting the impact when true racism occurs . The public becomes inured to the accusation.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2015 6:20 PM

R20 it's because people lack critical thinking. They've lost the ability to make any distinctions. Paula Dean and the KKK, same thing. If you refuse to identify as cisgender, then you're transphobic and no better than Rick Santorum. It's all the same.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2015 6:29 PM

The cotton wool protection the public receives from the reality that the exploitation of those without financial and political capital the is why "non-malicious" bigots flourish unbothered and in turn give credence to "malicious" bigots whose actions are the stuff that reasonable people tut at. It is the same attitudes writ large. We as a society would function better not to bury outer heads in the sand.

It happened in South Africa.

It happened in Germany.

It even happens in something as mundane as the fashion industry, when everyone is shocked, shocked every season when a model dies thanks to anorexia.

Don't give me that SJW bullshit. It is by far the greater social sin to identify a bigot than to be a bigot.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2015 6:40 PM

R21 WW for more wisdom, expressed succinctly, than we've seen here in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2015 6:47 PM

Didn't Paula Deen call a guy the "N" word because he held a gun to her head and robbed her at the bank she was working at? And she said she'd said the word before? That makes her a racist? This was in the 70s when that word was used by everyone. We've come a long way but in some ways, we've gone backwards in not even understanding time frames and situations.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2015 6:51 PM

If everyone that ever uttered the word was hung out to dry like Paula Deen was, there would be no one left to act high and mighty. Odd times we are in.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2015 7:10 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2015 1:52 AM

Paula cried like a bitch when all 3 judges gave her fives.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2015 2:53 AM

My mom (who watches TV all day) used to love Paula, but now she's all about Trisha Yearwood and that awful Pioneer Women. I'm sure some die-hards who follow her, but I bet many of her fans are like my mom and have moved on. I don't think Paula is a terrible person, but just one with bad judgement that should just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2015 8:35 AM

R28, I realize is a bit off-topic but I SECOND your emotion that the Pioneer Woman is awful, hideous, horrible. Wish her and her retarded brother (when they have him on) would LEAVE the screen for good. She is repulsive off-the-charts.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2015 8:54 AM

Am I crazy? I never say "the N word." My parents never said "the N word." And I'm old. A baby boomer. Brought up in the northeast, but still...there were bigots there.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2015 1:16 PM

Don't worry, r30, it was certainly taboo to say the N-word in the 70s. Though lot of posters' asshole parents probably did.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2015 1:19 PM

Bill Burr called it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2015 1:29 PM

R30, I'm a white baby boomer from the South and my parents never said the N word either, and neither did I. I was raised that only trashy people speak that way -- and it's true, now more than ever.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2015 1:35 PM

Feel the love of the Injustice Collectors.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2015 1:40 PM

ANYONE who claims that they've NEVER used the "N-Word" is a LIAR.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2015 1:42 PM

Is this a Gay website?

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2015 1:44 PM

[quote]Does Paula love the gays?

Her personal assistant is a big screaming queen who did a guest spot with her on Kathy Griffin's old show.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2015 3:36 PM

Miss Deen, Miss Deen

Why you be so mean

You called someone a Ni***r

Now they don't like you, go figure

But today's a brand new day

Just be careful what you say

Cause if you go a bit too far

You won't be dancing star

So mind you P's and Q's

And don't even say J*g*a*oos

Cause if you go a bit too far

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2015 4:02 PM

[quote]it was certainly taboo to say the N-word in the 70s. Though lot of posters' asshole parents probably did.

Did Paula Deen grow up in the 70s? Damn, she looks bad for a woman in her 40s. I thought she was an old Southern woman.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2015 8:15 PM

She's old. She grew up in the 50s at least

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2015 9:13 PM

Absolutely adorable on DWTS. She was so scared she told Tom Bergeron “I had white underwear when I started, but it probably ain’t white no more.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2015 8:57 PM

I'll bet she's dancing under the stars tonight.

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2018 9:33 PM

R42, Over Anthony Bourdain?

This video was all over Black Twitter at the time. I hate to admit I laughed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2018 10:04 PM

At least he didn't call her food a "culinary hate crime."

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2018 10:50 PM

That's Semi-First Lady Sandra Lee! And you're not fit to lick the horseshit off her riding boots.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2018 12:42 AM

This thread was quite prescient, OP.

A black friend of mine recently bought a new sofa and said it was a Paula Deen. I had no idea she sold anything other than kitchen items. Turns out she has furniture, clothing, and a ton of other things.

So her redemption is really is complete, at least with most of the public.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2018 1:00 AM

[quote]And you're not fit to lick the horseshit off her riding boots.

But I guess YOU are-- right, Andy?

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2018 3:52 AM

I'm another person who has never said the n-word. If you think everyone says it, that says a lot about you, your friends, your family, and your family's struggle with their trailer during hurricane season.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2018 3:23 PM

Well, in fairness, R48, are you a 71 year old woman who grew up poor in the South? Thought not.

I'm happy for her comeback and agree with President Carter that she paid far too high a price for admitting she used an obscene word 30 years ago. Sometimes honesty doesn't pay.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2018 9:18 PM

The Neelys said she was always a bigoted woman and complained to Food Network about her even though her sons essentially discovered them. This piece from Today shows Paula slip when a PA makes a sudden appearance and Paula asks if he has a gun and then asks if he's from this country. It won't be a surprise when you see him. Occurs about 0.45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2018 2:36 AM

[quote]The Neelys said she was always a bigoted woman

Then they're hypocritical liars. Well, Gina, in any case.

Paula argued for Food Network to hire them, a channel that didn't want the Neelys, for several reasons. One of the reasons was their limited repertoire of recipes. So Paula reworked some of her old recipes for them.

The Neelys were guests on her show both before and after she got them their own show. Why didn't Gina denounce this horrible racist after their contract was secure? Why did Gina wait until she was divorced, out of the Neely barbeque family, to call out Paula Deen? Attention?

Gina is a stupid cunt, trashy and an ingrate. Fuck her. I'm thrilled Paula has reclaimed most of her status and wealth...and Gina has been taken down a few rungs.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2018 4:33 AM

r50 How do you cook with those sleeves?

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2018 5:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!