Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Horn

It's been 10 years since this fabulous jazz pianist and singer left us. What are your favorite recordings of hers? Did you ever see her live?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2021 12:53 AM

Here's Shirley performing "Fever" for a rapturous audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2015 2:35 AM

Don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2015 2:37 AM

The queen of understatement. No one quite like her. Never will be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2015 3:25 AM

This very slender thread doesn't surprise me so much, but it does make me a little sad. Shirley Horn was one of the great jazz singer/pianists and never really got her due, though she did have a great third act after a period of semi-obscurity in the seventies.

She could do sexy, somber, and best of all, s l o w - like molasses, with each note like a drop of sweetness to be savored as it poured out.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2015 11:45 AM

Shirley Horn slows Burt Bacharach down to a teasing crawl.

I wish I could have seen her in concert. The live recordings are fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2015 11:48 AM

Favorite CD - Here's To Life. Met her at Berklee when I was an undergrad.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2015 1:44 PM

Yesterday.

Yeah, everyone has done the Beatles song, but she takes it to another realm as she looks back at the end of her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2015 10:12 PM

Flawless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2018 10:13 PM

Ooh! I just LOVE "Come Dance With Me (Sugardaddy Remix)" by Shirley Horn which is on the June 2005 Gap In-Store Playlist!

LOVE IT!!!!

"Come on, come on!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2018 10:36 PM

I also LOVE "Return to Paradise (Mark De Clive-Lowe Remix)" by Shirley Horn which is on the May 2004 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Fantastic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2018 10:37 PM

I love Shirley Horn OP

Truly one of a kind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2020 7:01 PM

I did see her live in New York in a small club. A friend brought me. I never had heard of her but was blown away. Wonderful. In the back of the club as a possibly inebriated Kathleen Turner. I remember that.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2020 7:32 PM

I'm jealous, r12. I never saw her live

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2020 7:37 PM

Sad that this thread only has 13 replies. I had no idea who Shirley Horn was until yesterday. I was listening to a youtube interview with Nikki Harris (Madonna's backup dancer. Apparently Horn is one of Madonna's all-time favorite singers) and wow, I am sad that I missed this until now! I have listeend to Here's to Life several times since yesterday and it's some of the most perfect music I have ever heard. This woman has not gotten the attention she deserves. These days, I'm really starting to listen to jazz instead of rock/pop.

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2021 12:21 AM

The best.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2021 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!