Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which actors on "Dynasty" were gay or bi?

It's pretty common knowledge that Gordon Thomson is gay. Not only that, but he looks exactly like Neil Patrick Harris!

A few years ago, somebody mentioned they'd heard that John James is/was gay, but John James is not only married, but his daughter Laura James also won Amerca's Next Top Model a few years ago.

I remember reading that Michael Praed was gay somewhere, but he's apparently married, so there may be no basis to that rumor being true.

Al Corley apparently wanted to play a gay character, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not straight.

Jack Coleman is apparently straight and homophobic, didn't want to play Steven as gay.

Maxwell Caulfield is suspect because his wife is so much older than him. She better have a lot of money, or they better have an open marriage.

Wasn't Helmut Berger (Peter De Vilbis) bisexual?

And of course, Rock Hudson was gay.

Wasn't Christopher Casanove also gay?

What about Wayne Northrop, Bo Hopkins, James Farentino, Geoffrey Scott, Michael Nader, Ted McGinley and James Healey?

by Anonymousreply 480March 7, 2020 4:53 AM

Jack Coleman has since played Angela's gay fiance on "The Office" and a gay character on "Scandal."

Maybe he got over the stigma.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2015 10:29 PM

I wish Al Corley was as gay (well, gayer than) as Steven Carrington.

I had a burning crush on him during the first couple of seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2015 10:35 PM

When I got the part of Steven MY WIFE told me not to take questions about if I was gay. So I think I'll just listen to MY WIFE. You know why? MY WIFE is smart about things like this.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2015 10:36 PM

What is a more beautiful human specimen than THIS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2015 10:39 PM

Who was hotter, Al Corley or John James?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2015 10:41 PM

R3, is that how Jack Coleman stayed closeted?

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2015 10:43 PM

Al Corley was way hot. I always assumed Ryan Phillipe's character in 54 was based on him.

John James was standard handsome, but his eyebrows were too much. He did all his acting with them.

BTW anyone notice how much Empire "borrowed" from Dynasty? Lots of plot points.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2015 10:45 PM

Now, who is the better singer, Al Corley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2015 10:47 PM

Prince Michael looks better to me as an older man.

He was almost androgynous on Dynasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2015 10:47 PM

Or John James?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2015 10:49 PM

John was better looking but Al was hotter. A lot hotter.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2015 10:50 PM

John James in a speedo. G-d bless Battle of the Network Stars.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2015 10:53 PM

Forgot the image.

Red is his color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2015 10:54 PM

When John was in full smile he had enough teeth for two. They were both horrible singers and actors.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2015 10:56 PM

Maxwell Caulfield managed to age better than John James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2015 10:58 PM

Of course he did, R15, because there's like a three year age difference between them.

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2015 11:01 PM

Gordon Thomson seems a bit turned on (2:19 in video) after doing the brawl scene with Jack Coleman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2015 11:17 PM

Al Corley was a million times better than boring Jack Coleman.

Corley was Pamela Sue Martin were perfect as Blake's spoiled, sullen, lost kids. Emma Samms (though beautiful) sucked too.

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2015 11:20 PM

Yeah...Emma has been thoroughly trashed by DL in past Dynasty threads. Emma was the worst recasting in history. That includes Darrin on Bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2015 11:25 PM

John James was only gay for pay.

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2015 11:28 PM

R18 here I meant to say Corley AND Pamela Sue Martin...

The thing is, if you watch Martn's last few episodes of Dyansty, it's pretty clear that something's wrong with her. She was way skinny, and eyes drooping. She was not good in those.

I think her leaving was kind of the Jump the Shark moment. Of course the consensus that it was the Moldavian Massacre.

by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2015 11:36 PM

Al Corley is straight, which is SOOO tragic because he was SOOO beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2015 11:40 PM

I believe the guy who played Dex Dexdexdex was gay (And I say was because I'm not even sure if he is still alive) and rumored HIV+. To the point where it became an issue and a problem after he was cast on some daytime soap.

This was during those dark ages when attention-seeking leading ladies would make a fuss about doing kissing scenes with men RUMORED to be gay.

That's why, no matter how flaky she may have been said to be, Linda Evans was always cool in my book. She never made a big deal about sharing kisses with Rock Hudson, even when the tabloids tried so hard to spin things that way:

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2015 12:01 AM

What about Lee Bergere who played the majordomo, Joseph Anders? His obituary only mentions a daughter and says nothing about exes.

In the 70s, he played one of the members of "the homosexual couple" in ABC's short-lived Hot L Baltimore, rather daring at the time.

He began on stage as an understudy to Danny Kaye in Lady in the Dark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2015 12:43 AM

Paul Keenan, who had the small, irregular role of stable boy Tony, was gay and one of the first semi-high-profile actors to come forward with his AIDS diagnosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2015 12:43 AM

Pa Pa gay? PA PA NO!

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2015 12:45 AM

R23 Michael Nader (Dex Dexter) discussed the HIV+ rumors during his Larry King interview in 2003 and denied that he was. I would say, those seemed to spring more from his drug use and addiction and his deteriorating appearance than being gay. Plus, he's been married three times. In fact, just married another woman less than a year ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2015 1:05 AM

What about Krystal's first husband. He had 70s AIDS case written all over him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2015 1:09 AM

Al Corley was sooooooo hot, OMG! I think he was my first gay crush ever. Since I tend to choose the wrong guys, of course he had to be straight.

Square Rooms shot straight to number 1 in France after he performed on a talk show and was approached and stalked by co-guest Alice Sapritch. She even tried to kiss him. As in French-kiss him.

Now you have to understand that Alice Sapritch was not only an elderly actress (70-ish back then), but also the ugly kind (see pic below). I don't know what went through her head that evening, maybe she was drunk, maybe she was high, but what happened then on live TV was so cringeworthy that it became instantaneously a cult segment of French TV.

Al Corley was so shell-shocked that he froze, did not react when she started to throw her tongue at his face. Michel Drucker, the host, had to separate them. Too bad that I could not find the video on youtube. At least you have an idea how she looked like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2015 1:17 AM

She looks younger than Carly Simon.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2015 1:20 AM

Rumor is that Gordon Scott (Krystle's first husband) was gay. He had appeared on Dark Shadows earlier.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2015 1:20 AM

Gordon Thomson, in his prime, was an extremely handsome man. Neil Patrick Harris is....not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2015 1:22 AM

Oops, Geoffrey Scott (not Gordon Scott)

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2015 1:23 AM

I liked the rough trade. Mr. Bo Hopkins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2015 1:23 AM

R22 Corley was a doorman at Studio 54. No way he didn't indulge in at least some dick!

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2015 1:24 AM

Bo Hopkins was like the poor man's James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2015 1:24 AM

Al Corley was banging Carly Simon at that time.

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2015 1:25 AM

Re: Emma, it was odd; she successfully paired with a post -Laura Luke on general hospital, but as Fallon she sucked

I gathered with a group of friends to watch I Want to be a Soap Star on SOAPnet (one of them was on the show) and 8 pm rolls around instead of soap Star an episode of Dynasty starts; as the cascading theme starts we were all in shock; I said - "this might get worse; it could be an Emma Samms episode!"

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2015 1:25 AM

Has anyone ever figured out if Ray Abruzzo is gay or straight?

He's never seemed to have a romance with or marriage to a woman. He's "buddies" with Emma Samms and Wendie Malick. And he's a flaming liberal who taunts the Tea Party on Twitter.

Man, he was hot in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2015 1:31 AM

Al has gay face here. But then again, all singers and band members of the New Wave era had that androgynous look. Think Spandau Ballet, Erasure, Depeche Mode, you name it... gay faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2015 1:32 AM

Emma Samms always seemed to be struggling to keep her accent under wraps.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2015 1:33 AM

Pamela Sue Martin?

Shove it, shove it, shove it

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2015 1:34 AM

This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2015 1:36 AM

Struggling? I got the idea that she never even bothered to try.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2015 3:08 AM

There was a guy on DL once who said he worked on the set of Dynasty. The guy said John James had an entourage of young men on the set who he had flings with. However, John James got married and had children and that life ended? That is weird. Billy Campbell was literally beautiful! Oh man! when I was a kid I couldn't take my eyes off of the TV screen when he was on. I think I read someone where he is gay. He looks still good but as an older or mature man who I think is still handsome but in a different way.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2015 3:08 AM

Oops, sorry, I forgot to include a picture of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2015 3:32 AM

Oh, R45! Please let it be true! Not that I really care what JJ is today since he's pushing 60, but he was a PRINCE back in the day!

It's interesting how he says in that interview above that he wanted to get to know Maxwell Caulfield better, but Max wasn't interested. Maybe Max is straight after all?

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2015 4:31 AM

Michael Praed remembers the first time he saw The Sound of Music back in 1863, and he had a crush on Liesl, how beautiful she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2015 6:10 AM

Did you know that Michael Praed's real name is Michael Prince? How funny, he ended up playing Prince Michael!

And Catherine Oxenberg was, in fact, a real princess.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2015 6:12 AM

The writer for "The Colbys", William Bast, was actually one of James Dean's lovers, and he sort of modeled Miles Colby after James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2015 6:13 AM

This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2015 6:31 AM

Come on fellow lightworkers and spiritual gurus, help talk to Marilyn and the spirits too!

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2015 6:32 AM

I've been DVR'ing and re-watching Dynasty on POP and can honestly say the sexiest guy on that show was Gordon Thomson.

I never paid attention to him when I was younger and Dynasty was in first run, back then I was all about John James, but this guy was fucking hot. Awesome hairy chest, tight build, sexy voice. He was the total package. His partner is one lucky guy.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2015 6:33 AM

I had always thought Billy Campbell was gay but seem to recall someone posting on DL a couple years ago that he's actually straight, so not sure anymore. Of course they could have been lying.

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2015 6:54 AM

Surprised how many here prefer Al Corely and John James. Jack Coleman was my everything as Steven. He was so cute and sexy - perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2015 7:07 AM

[quote] And Catherine Oxenberg was, in fact, a real princess.

She is not and never has been a princess. Her mother is, but Catherine is not.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2015 7:07 AM

Jack Coleman also played a gay character on The Vampire Diaries.

What's up with these guys who had a kind of homophobic attitude in interviews? Kevin Williams (Dawson's Creek, The Vampire Diaries, Scream movie franchise) seems to have a type when it comes to casting his shows (Kerr Smith, Ian Sommerhalder, Jack Coleman ...)

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2015 7:16 AM

R54, on IMBD it states he hasn't been married ,not that means anything one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2015 9:39 AM

Jack Coleman is the nicest guy ever, I've met him and not only he is very hot (hotter now), he is also an intelligent guy with a great sense of humor. This is a good interview of him, he talks about Dynasty and playing a gay character back in the days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2015 9:39 PM

He may be a nice guy but he is in no way hotter now than he was. That would be pretty imfuckingpossible. Though I hated him in the role and Al was a lot sexier Jack was a lot more handsome. He was downright beautiful. He just sucked the life out of the part. Or maybe it was the writers who can say?

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2015 9:43 PM

Jack was SO handsome and sexy - probably one of the most beautiful guys ever in his prime. Photos don't even do him great justice because something about his demeanor was just so attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2015 10:12 PM

He was pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2015 10:16 PM

Photos don't even do him justice, even know. He's definitely a lot sexier than he looks in his photos. He's 56 and still hot, he aged way better than Al Corley and John James.

by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2015 10:19 PM

[quote] Michael Praed remembers the first time he saw The Sound of Music back in 1863,

Wow, he IS old!

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2015 10:29 PM

Just because I am an expert regarding the taste of expensive fish eggs does not mean I am a lesbian!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2015 10:31 PM

Do you suppose Alexis would have slept with women if she felt that could get her ahead?

You know what would have been funny? When Alexis was living in the studio next door to the mansion in Season 2, if she had actually tried to seduce Krystle, and said, "Oh, Krystle, why don't we have a menage a trois with Blake! It could be a birthday present from both of us to him!" Can you imagine what Krystle's reaction would have been?

by Anonymousreply 66August 29, 2015 11:47 PM

I always thought Wayne Northrop as Michael was sexy. The whole story of Fallon banging her chauffeur was hot, and he and Pamela Sue Martin had great chemistry.

I think John James, Maxwell Caulfield, Al Corley, Jack Coleman and Gordon Thompson were all handsome men.

And let's not forget one of the members of the Carrington help... the scrumptious Tony!!

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2015 12:24 AM

R67, all Tony did for the show was "pull" for Alexis and remember that she was shooting the day that Krystle had her riding accident. He probably only appeared in about 4 episodes all together.

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2015 1:19 AM

True R68, but he looked damn good in those four episodes!

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2015 1:43 AM

According to her autobiography, Brenda Dickson had a relationship for a time with Michael Nader. They did a Tennessee Williams play together in the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2015 1:43 AM

John James was dreamy. As for the first Steven Carrington- y'all can have him.

by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2015 1:51 AM

Gordon Thompson looks nothing like NPH!

by Anonymousreply 72August 30, 2015 1:59 AM

r68 who cares if there were only four episodes? he was shirtless in most of them and he gave his wonderful jack-off material.

by Anonymousreply 73August 30, 2015 4:35 AM

If you gave Gordon Thomson Neil Patrick Harris's hair, you could kidnap Harris and replace him with Thomson.

by Anonymousreply 74August 30, 2015 7:38 AM

Martin seems to have held up the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 30, 2015 10:06 AM

Sexy Thomson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 30, 2015 10:08 AM

OP you do realise that being married in no way signifies 100 % heterosexuality right? Maybe there is truth to the rumours but these actors are bi?

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2015 12:00 PM

I had my first hard on and wet dreams when I had dreams of Michael Nader during Dynasty years. His low bedroom voice and hairy chest did it for a young guy I was then. I still like hairy chests, little bit darker guys also Latinos and blacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 30, 2015 1:50 PM

Gordon Thomson is hung like a bull...

by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2015 2:29 PM

[quote]Plus, he's been married three times. In fact, just married another woman less than a year ago.

EXACTLY!!!

by Anonymousreply 80August 30, 2015 2:52 PM

Billy Campbell was so cute when he was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 81August 30, 2015 2:58 PM

Michael Praed aged really well in the YouTube clip from r48. How I used to want off to him during his Dynasty days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 30, 2015 3:41 PM

Jack Coleman played a serial killer on Days of Our Lives, the Salem Strangler, he kidnapped and tried to kill Marlena, played by Deidre Hall who Aaron Spelling wanted for Krystal after big names turned it down but Hall couldn't get out of her Days contract, the man who shot and killed Jake aka the Salem Strangler was Roman Brady played by none other then Wayne Northrop also Michael on Dynasty.

Also Paul Keenan who played Tony on Dynasty was also on Days as the original Todd Chandler from 1980-1982.

by Anonymousreply 83August 30, 2015 4:08 PM

Note on Tony:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 30, 2015 4:27 PM

Gordon Thompson is major fem! I watched him in an interview some years back ,and he was angry because he was dissed from the reunion. Man! what a queen in that interview, major turn off.

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2015 3:19 AM

Gordon was missed in the reunion movie. Santa Barbara was going to allow him to do it, but Spelling never coordinated the dates. He later made up with Spelling because he did a stint on Sunset Beach.

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2015 6:26 PM

Adam and his chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2015 11:25 PM

[quote]Gordon was missed in the reunion movie. Santa Barbara was going to allow him to do it, but Spelling never coordinated the dates.

I never understood why they would recast in a reunion movie instead of just skipping the character. People tune in to see the original actors; that's the whole point. But it was in keeping with the rest of that dreadful miniseries, which couldn't even be bothered to recreate the Carrington mansion.

by Anonymousreply 88September 2, 2015 12:02 AM

Fake Adam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 2, 2015 12:05 AM

[quote]According to her autobiography, Brenda Dickson had a relationship for a time with Michael Nader. They did a Tennessee Williams play together in the early 80's.

They lived a Tennessee Williams play together in the early 80's.

Fixed that for ya.

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2015 12:15 AM

R88 have to agree. Jack Coleman was unavailable too that's why they went with Al Corley. They asked Pamela Sue Martin and she turned them down so we were subjected to more of Emma Samms. The reunion was just a weird mishmash of recast actors, past characters like Kirby (she really served no purpose in the reunion other than nostalgia) and a barely coherent story. The reunion only served to give the characters a happy ending but it could've been better.

by Anonymousreply 91September 2, 2015 12:40 AM

What were the major plots of the reunion? I passed. Did everyone look old and horrible with denture voice?

by Anonymousreply 92September 2, 2015 12:46 AM

Love R17's video. Everyone always talks about the catfights, but the dogfights were always great with lots of body contact and grabbing and wrestling.

by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2015 1:00 AM

The reunion movie took place only a few years after the final episode of the series aired. Jeff and Fallon end up back together. If you remember, Jeff was with Sammie Jo at the end of series. The fake Adam ends up with Kirby. Steven was with a man who was into environmental causes. That is all that I remember.

by Anonymousreply 94September 2, 2015 1:01 AM

Dex ended up dying, killed by Alexis as he cushioned her fall. Blake went to prison for like three years for killing to crooked police captain. Krystle woke up from her coma, but the people at the hospital were trying to brainwash her to assassinate Blake, but in the end, her love for him broke through the brainwashing. Jeff ended up being kidnapped by the bad guys, so Kirby had ties to the bad guys, ended up helping Adam rescue Jeff. Sammy Jo lost Delta Rho and was trying to work as a model, only to have her contract ruined by Alexis. Steven was in a relationship with Bart Fallmont, the gay husband of Sammy Jo's annulled husband Clay Fallmont. Fallon and Jeff had remarried a third time, but were in the process of divorcing again because Fallon was with Miles, but in the end, Miles told Fallon that she belonged with Jeff after he helped Kirby and Adam rescue Jeff. No mention of Amanda or Sable or Monica. If I remember all that correctly.

Speaking of Jeff being with Sammy Jo at the end of the series, there was that incest subplot with him and Monica, where Adam paid some tabloid to publish an incest rumor about Jeff and Monica. It's interesting how in Monica's first episode on "Dynasty", she told Jeff how she had a big crush on him when she was younger. And then when Jeff runs into Bliss the first time on "The Colbys", Bliss tells him that she had a big crush on him, too. What is it with Jeff and BOTH of his sisters having the hots for him?

by Anonymousreply 95September 2, 2015 8:00 AM

Well, Jeff was married to his cousin Fallon, after all.

by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2015 8:08 AM

Al Corley has made it clear he was bisexual, at least during his 54 days.

by Anonymousreply 97September 2, 2015 8:27 AM

I know Adam was supposed to be the "bad seed," but Jeff always seemed like such a jerk to me.

by Anonymousreply 98September 2, 2015 10:05 AM

Pamela Sue Martin turned them down? What the fuck was she doing?

by Anonymousreply 99September 2, 2015 12:01 PM

Really R97? Where and when and how did he make that clear? Do tell! :)

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2015 5:48 PM

I think Pamela Sue Martin was just tired of Hollywood by that time. The last film projects she had done were in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2015 5:53 PM

Okay R97, I did some research and found a Vanity Fair article where he said, "I could kiss a guy, I could kiss a girl, you were free to let your guard down." Okay, he probably did kiss some guys. I wonder just HOW MUCH he did?

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2015 6:05 PM

By all accounts Billy Campbell [playing Luke Fuller] is actually straight - confirmed at a talk given by Tales of the City author Armistead Maupin at one of his London book launches. Campbell played Dr Jon Fielding in the Tales TV adaptations and Maupin commented if he had a dime for every time he had been quizzed about Billy Campbell's sexual orientation, he'd be a VERY rich man. Campbell went on to have a long relationship in the 90s with his Rocketeer co-star Jennifer Connelly.

by Anonymousreply 103September 2, 2015 7:22 PM

Adam would get his ass whipped at least once a season. I remember one episode where Dex barged into Adam's office, chased him around the desk and then, caught him and punched his lights out.

by Anonymousreply 104September 2, 2015 8:00 PM

Adam was one mean-looking fucker. Born to play villains.

by Anonymousreply 105September 2, 2015 8:06 PM

When I was 13 years old, I decided Billy Campbell was going to be my husband.

I am still holding to that, even though he doesn't know it.

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2015 8:37 PM

Saw an 1985 episode of Dynasty the other day on the pop channel . Billy Campbell was by far one of the top 5 hottest actors ever to grace prime time. Beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2015 8:52 PM

R100/R102 Corley has over the years given more and less explicit versions of his life while working at 54. But in some tellings he's used the word bisexual to describe himself.

I just hope his m/m experimentation included some hot busboys and bartenders. Almost surely he had to put out for nasty "Stevie" Rubell.

by Anonymousreply 108September 2, 2015 9:10 PM

I wish it were Jack Coleman and not Corely who a went both ways - just one admission by Jack that he liked to get down with the dudes back in the day would be fap material for a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2015 9:16 PM

I wonder if Corley ever actually had serious relationships with guys he hooked up with, or if he was only into hooking up.

by Anonymousreply 110September 2, 2015 9:28 PM

How about how Blake was always saying to Jeff that he was going to adopt him? Dude, he is married to your daughter!

by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2015 10:02 PM

R111, he just didn't want to lose Jeff as a son-in-law. Jeff was the son he wanted, not Adam or Steven.

by Anonymousreply 112September 2, 2015 10:20 PM

R95- good summary, but... I don't think Dex died. The person telling the story of what happened to him said something like "Alexis somehow turned herself around in mid-air like a cat and landed on Mr. Dexter. He didn't fare too well."

by Anonymousreply 113September 3, 2015 12:17 AM

R111 Jack Coleman, really? He had a ferret face, like a blond Frank Burns.

by Anonymousreply 114September 3, 2015 12:31 AM

Not R111, but R109 I meant to respond to.

by Anonymousreply 115September 3, 2015 12:33 AM

Jack Coleman had that 80's Sting thing going on. He was not sensitive as Steven the way Al Corley was, but Steven was supposed to be jaded after that 'tanker' accident that required plastic surgery. Guess that forgot that with the reunion movie when Corley assumed the role again, lol.

Billy Campbell was Virginia Madsen's bf at the time of Dynasty. He was so cute in Tales of the City - yes we wanted him to be gay.

John James was such an ego maniac. He had no chemistry with any of the women he was paired with on Dynasty or The Colbys.

by Anonymousreply 116September 3, 2015 12:52 AM

The only person John James had chemistry with was himself. If I looked like him that would be enough for me too.

by Anonymousreply 117September 3, 2015 12:57 AM

As handsome as John James was, Jeff was a boring romantic. He didn't have much personality other than, "This is the way things OUGHT to be. Fallon ought to love me. Blake deserves respect." I think the real reason Blake loved Jeff so much was because Jeff was such a brown noser. Jeff really had no identity of his own. He wasn't funny, he wasn't creative, he was extremely straight-laced. His life revolved around having Fallon requite his love.

by Anonymousreply 118September 3, 2015 1:02 AM

It was kind of perfect though. Think about people that good looking you know in real life. No matter what anyone may say everything is handed to them and they never have to try. It makes them a bit shallow and boring. It's the truth though no matter what anyone might say.

by Anonymousreply 119September 3, 2015 1:06 AM

Jack Coleman was the sexiest man alive in the 80s, R114. I realize taste is objective, but to my taste Al Corely was not only not good-looking her was actually what I'd call ugly. Jack on the other hand was gorgeous: his face, his body, his voice, his smile, his mannerisms - just the perfect guy. The fact that he played a (sometimes) gay character was the icing on the cake. He had hot chemistry with every man and woman on the show - from his lovers to his siblings to his own damn parents LOL.

by Anonymousreply 120September 3, 2015 1:08 AM

Hard to believe Campbell is straight. His "romances" always seemed PR business. He is 56, never married and best known for his gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 121September 3, 2015 1:19 AM

R119 No. Tsss, Americans and dl.

by Anonymousreply 122September 3, 2015 1:26 AM

How old are the people on this thread?

I'm 34. I used to watch Dynasty reruns on FX when I was 13.

by Anonymousreply 123September 3, 2015 1:36 AM

I'm 45 and I watched Dynasty when I was 13-18.

Jack Coleman was very bland. Al Corley was hot.

by Anonymousreply 124September 3, 2015 1:47 AM

Jack Coleman always looked like the kind of guy who'd be in a Falcon video in 1985.

John James was so fucking hot and I always thought he was one of the better actors (of his age cohort) on the show.

by Anonymousreply 125September 3, 2015 1:49 AM

Helmut Berger ...BI??!!

Oh, my sides. That queen never touched a woman in his life, OP. Unless it was to snatch her Fendi chiffon scarf for himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 3, 2015 1:55 AM

[quote] Oh, my sides. That queen never touched a woman in his life, OP. Unless it was to snatch her Fendi chiffon scarf for himself.

Bitch who asked you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 3, 2015 2:27 AM

Suck it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 3, 2015 2:28 AM

John James today looks much older than Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 129September 3, 2015 2:55 AM

[quote] John James today looks much older than Joan Collins.

That's what happens to smokers.

by Anonymousreply 130September 3, 2015 3:00 AM

R130, that makes so much sense! John James does look like he's been smoking lots of cigarettes over the years. He sounds like he has breathing problems.

by Anonymousreply 131September 3, 2015 3:02 AM

Sorry, R124, but Jack Coleman was so much sexier than Al "Butterface" Corely. I mean it's not even a contest. Corely always looked hunched over, half-asleep, constipated, and about to cry. Coleman played Steven as a virile stud apt to bend any of his castmates over - male or female - and take them from behind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 3, 2015 3:54 AM

Coleman was a Ken doll. Corley was sexy.

by Anonymousreply 133September 3, 2015 3:56 AM

They were both cast as "Ken dolls" but neither really fit the mold. Corely wasn't good-looking enough and Coleman was oozing too much animal charisma to be a proper "Ken doll" type.

by Anonymousreply 134September 3, 2015 4:02 AM

Excuse me, but are you high? Steven Carrington was a much more interesting character when Corley played him. He was sad, tortured, and disgusted by his father's business practices. Not a Ken doll at all.

When Coleman took over Steven became duller than dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 135September 3, 2015 4:06 AM

Coleman has aged very well, much better than many of the cast members. But I preferred Corley in the role.

I loved Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon but what was her fucking problem? She left good roles in Nancy Drew and Dynasty and then disappeared. Was it really health issues or that her film career bombed and she never wanted to be a TV star?

by Anonymousreply 136September 3, 2015 4:09 AM

I think you're confusing your affinity for certain storylines and writers for the actor playing the role, R135.

Steven under Coleman's stewardship was anything but dull. In fact he was ssex on a stick - fucking multiple members of both sexes with reckless abandon. In fact, in many ways his Steven was a prototype for today's "no label" millennial sexuality movement. But again, that was the writing.

What Coleman himself brought to the role that Corely never could was a confidence and comfort in his own skin that elevated the character from "victim" to hero in a very that was very liberating to many viewers. You can see the difference in the picture below. Corely, on the right, looks like he's about to hurl himself off a cliff in despair. Coleman on the left, looks like he's on the prowl for some booty and he'll take whatever looks good to him today - guy or girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 3, 2015 4:13 AM

Like the poster upthread, I saw Dynasty for the first time on FX. Maybe standards changed a lot in the intervening years, but to me John James was hot. He was just stuck with a dull, kind, well-meaning character

His noble character, the male Krystle, only became interesting a few times, mostly in season 9, with the incest implications (even before Adam noticed and pointed it out.)

Incidentally, with male fights, Jeff's with Adam in S9 was the best...but I loved Adam's fight with Coleman in the weight room. Until Claudia stopped it (one of Bellwood's worst scenes ever).

by Anonymousreply 138September 3, 2015 4:16 AM

Loved Thomson and Coleman's fight at the gym. Thomson, Coleman, and James were the trifecta of hot - each a different type, each so perfectly sexy in their own way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 3, 2015 4:21 AM

Wow, we have a Jack Coleman troll. Who knew?

I'll give you this, you adorably crazy queen, he has aged well and is actually sexy NOW.

But he was NOT HOT as Steven. I DO wish he and Billy Campbell had been allowed to have a love scene back then, though.

by Anonymousreply 140September 3, 2015 4:53 AM

Here is a scene from late in Pamela Sue Martin's run. She's not looking good, or acting like Fallon. Go watch and early scene and compare it.

She reminds me of MacKenzie Phillips from the drugged out episodes of One Day at a Time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 3, 2015 5:09 AM

On the subject of the fights, there was a fight between Steven and some other guy (not Adam) that happened in the gym and it was almost a gay wrestling video....nobody came in to break them up and I remember the fight ending with them both collapsing on top of each other as if they'd both cum. I can't find it on YouTube - maybe one of the Dynasty aficionados knows the one I'm thinking of. I'd love to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 142September 3, 2015 5:25 AM

R142 That was with Bart Fallmont, right? One of the Fallmonts who's father was played by Richard "Oscar Goldman" Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 143September 3, 2015 5:44 AM

R141, she does look tired out. But remember, the character also had just recovered from an accident that had left her paralyzed temporarily.

She's a lot more mature and laid back compared to the high spirited, wild child of Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 144September 3, 2015 5:46 AM

R136, she left to do other roles. I remember reading that she produced this film (and starred in) about cocaine abuse. I think it was close to her- the issue. Problem a family member had, or husband.

by Anonymousreply 145September 3, 2015 6:00 AM

this link talks about why she left and what was going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 3, 2015 6:07 AM

R142 That was IIRC with Bart Fallmont .

Their romance didn't amount to much on Dynasty but they were married by the time of the sad, shitty reunion movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 3, 2015 6:16 AM

R136 I think she left for many reasons . Fallon was watered down by the time Pamela left. She wanted at least at first more film roles and a slower pace from the weekly TV grind. She was also suffering from hair loss and health issues. Cystitis I believe. Plus she has said the show turning into a glamour campy 80s style program wasn't her cup of tea. The role of Fallon fit her like a glove and when she left it truly was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 148September 3, 2015 7:34 AM

[quote]Fallon was watered down by the time Pamela left.

True, she hated that the slut aspect went away. In the first episode, it was clear she'd fucked most of the Denver Broncos, which her daddy owned.

[quote]She wanted at least at first more film roles and a slower pace from the weekly TV grind

She and Al Corley (and on Charlie's Angels, Kate Jackson, complained nonstop about the unrealistic quality of the scripts).

by Anonymousreply 149September 3, 2015 7:47 AM

Of the three, Jackson is the only one who had a career after the show they were complaining about. Martin deserved to do better post-Dynasty. One wonders if she wasn't the one with the drug problem, as referenced above. Corely was no special talent, but at least his vacating the role gave us sizzling hot Jack Coleman in all his "Princeton" athletic wear giving the "fuck me" eyes to the likes of Billy Campbell and Heather Locklear. What a total stud!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 3, 2015 8:42 AM

Call me crazy but I thought Christopher Cazenove playing Blake's younger brother, Ben, was incredibly sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 3, 2015 10:39 AM

Another Cazenove fan here. Very do-able.

by Anonymousreply 152September 3, 2015 10:43 AM

Blake Carrington's dad must have fucked around a lot.

An American, an African -American and an Australian.

by Anonymousreply 153September 3, 2015 11:03 AM

And if the series had gone on longer, Sable would have been his long-lost half-sister.

by Anonymousreply 154September 3, 2015 11:07 AM

Blake Carrington's dad was a whore.

by Anonymousreply 155September 3, 2015 1:45 PM

Helmut, liebchen! Looks aren't everything after all, and if those long evenings get a little lonesome, well, there's always your Deutsche Gramaphone LPs dear.

by Anonymousreply 156September 3, 2015 1:50 PM

Michael Praed interview from 2010 - he was still an extremely handsome man. He reminds me a bit of an older Fassbender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 3, 2015 1:55 PM

I recall Praed as Robin of Sherwood, the British TV drama. He left for Dynasty and the role of Robin was taken by Sean Connery's son, Jason.

Michael-Robin...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 3, 2015 2:03 PM

Jason-Robin..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 3, 2015 2:04 PM

Jason Connery was no Michael Praed - or Sean for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 160September 3, 2015 2:07 PM

Praed looks pretty good still. He has those cheekbones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 3, 2015 2:13 PM

Jason on the other hand..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 3, 2015 2:13 PM

"Oh I is so intelligent you best trembles when I walks by. You done serves me the wrong caviar. I prefers Petrossian Beluga. Ain't you impressed ? Yeah, you can buys clothes and stuffs but you can't buys intelligence and I's intelligent as shit. That champagne is burnt too Alexis. Now you know I's something; I knows when the champagne is burnt so there !! And I am intelligent. Has I mentioned how intelligent I is ?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 3, 2015 2:48 PM

r163, take your unfunny racist shit to some other thread.

This is about gays on Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 164September 3, 2015 3:08 PM

FF R163, what a stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 165September 3, 2015 3:15 PM

"Here dear. This is two dollars which should be enough to board a mass transit bus and return from where you came."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 3, 2015 3:26 PM

Speaking of Dominique and the hot men of Dynasty, Richard Lawson who played Nick Kimball, Dominique's bad-boy oil Baron take-charge tall cup o' hot chocolate and eventual husband just got married in real life..... to Beyoncé's mom Tina Knowles! Does that make Beyoncé and Troy Beyer related somehow? I'd like to see Blue Ivy star in a remake of Rooftops when she's old enough. Beyoncé could play the Etta James role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 3, 2015 7:41 PM

Did they ever once try to explain how Fallon was suddenly english?..Gordon Thompson, from what I hear, has a huge cock and knows very well how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 168September 3, 2015 8:01 PM

I'm in the minority here. I never thought Al Corely was attractive. In fact, I thought he was ugly. I loved Jack Coleman though and thought he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 169September 3, 2015 8:03 PM

R168

No, they never explained how Fallon was suddenly English.. then again, when Emma Samms took over, Fallon had Amnesia so maybe that accent just came with it!

I'm really in the minority as I didn't mind Samms in the role of Fallon. I don't think it was her acting that was bad, but rather the writers changed how the Fallon character behaved.

by Anonymousreply 170September 3, 2015 8:05 PM

It is very hard to imagine Samms pulling off what Martin did so easily in the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 171September 3, 2015 8:08 PM

Emma Samms couldn't do an American accent to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 172September 3, 2015 8:20 PM

Amanda lost hers in the swimming pool brawl with Sammie Jo.

by Anonymousreply 173September 3, 2015 8:59 PM

Billy Campbell also had a long relationship with Sela Ward.

My sister saw them canoodling in NYC and said they were astonishingly gorgeous.

They were in their prime at the time.

IIRC he's pretty much left acting and worked as a sailor in the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 174September 3, 2015 9:15 PM

R173, Amanda also lost her looks in that pool!

by Anonymousreply 175September 3, 2015 9:20 PM

The best dogfight was between Dex and Adam in season 9 when Dex found out Adam had been sleeping with Virginia. Dex lunged at him and they flew over tables and chair, he got Adam pinned against the wall, as he whimpered like a girl lol

by Anonymousreply 176September 3, 2015 9:30 PM

R167, he's also a Scientologist.

Not only that, he's the father of Bianca Lawson aka Kendra the Vampire Slayer.

by Anonymousreply 177September 3, 2015 9:33 PM

R167, I just KNEW that Dominique had to be related to Beyonce somehow, being in the black music business!

by Anonymousreply 178September 3, 2015 9:37 PM

I' d expect to see more love for Geoffrey Scott here. Has even one photo been posted?

WEHT?

by Anonymousreply 179September 3, 2015 9:55 PM

[quote] Not only that, he's the father of Bianca Lawson aka Kendra the Vampire Slayer.

Bianca Lawson's mom is Denise Gordy, who if I remember correctly, was Anna Gordy's niece. Anna was one of Berry's sisters and Marvin Gaye's first wife. Marvin had an affair with Deinse. The affair produced Marvin III. Anna and Marvin adopted Marvin III and raised him as their child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 3, 2015 10:13 PM

Geoffrey Scott couldn't keep up with the pretty boys. He was more assless chaps and glory.

by Anonymousreply 181September 3, 2015 10:46 PM

Kevin Conroy (the voice of animated Batman) played Bart Falmont on the show. My God, he was smoking in his day. A&E aired A Midsummer Night's Dream from Central Park in the early 80's and he was shirtless for most of it, and just drool worthy. I always thought he was gay in real life.

Geoffrey Scott was on Dark Shadows in the early 70's playing Lara Parker's husband and he had bad skin and couldn't act to save his life. One scene with Jonathan Frid where they both forgot their lines was hilarious as they did not look at each other but spoke their lines side glancing at the teleprompter.

by Anonymousreply 182September 3, 2015 11:22 PM

I always imagined that Jack Coleman was one of those blond guys who nevertheless had a thick, nearly jet-black taint pelt. Yay or nay? And how might we find out?

by Anonymousreply 183September 3, 2015 11:27 PM

Ask his WIFE R183!!!!

by Anonymousreply 184September 3, 2015 11:54 PM

seeing that Jack isn't a natural blond I'd say the carpet doesn't match the drapes.

by Anonymousreply 185September 3, 2015 11:57 PM

Well, hello!

Maybe this is how you can find out R183!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 4, 2015 12:00 AM

No love from me for Geoffrey Scott. He was awful as Sky Rumson on Dark Shadows. He was unbearable as a temporary Billy Lewis recast on Guiding Light. And he sucked as Mark Jennings on Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 187September 4, 2015 12:10 AM

[quote]I' d expect to see more love for Geoffrey Scott here.

He and Richard Lawson were the hottest men on the show. Christopher Cazenove was distant third.

by Anonymousreply 188September 4, 2015 12:44 AM

Remember when Karen Cellini played Amanda for about 3 weeks? That was very strange.

by Anonymousreply 189September 4, 2015 12:45 AM

Wow. Wayne Northrop wasn't so bad looking himself.

Who knew he was hiding that under his chauffeur's uniform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 4, 2015 12:58 AM

I always thought Wayne's face was busted. Funny that his future Daytime Wife was originally considered for Krystal.

by Anonymousreply 191September 4, 2015 1:19 AM

I loved how Jacks hair got darker as he continued with the show. By the time he left it was very dark blonde almost brown. He was even more sexy with the darker. Amazing how they did well with the Steven recast but failed miserably with all the other Carrington spawn. The show lost its focus and attention to detail even before Moldavia. Stories, casting, pretty much it all except the look of it which I think the producers thought would be enough to keep pulling in viewers but the ratings sank like a stone with the start of the 85-86 season deservedly so

by Anonymousreply 192September 4, 2015 1:27 AM

The clearest "Jump the Shark" moment of any show ever was the Moldavia Massacre. The show went from being good to bad in one single episode, and never really recovered.

by Anonymousreply 193September 4, 2015 1:32 AM

I love it that the show created some elaborate set up to explain the new Steven, but when it was time for the new Fallon or new Amanda the show just couldn't be bothered.

by Anonymousreply 194September 4, 2015 1:33 AM

I like the way you think, R186. And R192 I also liked Jack letting his hair go darker! I also liked how he gained a few pounds as the series progresses, going from a lean, defined body type to a more muscular build. I wonder if any of the other actors or actresses ever had the opportunity to see Jack naked on the set. What a treat that would have been!

by Anonymousreply 195September 4, 2015 1:46 AM

I think not making a big deal of it usually goes better. Yes Wayne's face is busted but that's what made him hot.

by Anonymousreply 196September 4, 2015 1:51 AM

R132 = Jack Colemen typing from a soon-to-be-closed internet coffee bar.

by Anonymousreply 197September 4, 2015 2:23 AM

R191 that is Ms. Deidre Hall to you peasant!

The Queen of Daytime.

by Anonymousreply 198September 4, 2015 2:23 AM

R194 and when Al Corley came back to do the reunion, they didn't explain that change either. Maybe Stephen was in another oil rig explosion, and had MORE plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 199September 4, 2015 2:26 AM

I didn't mind the Moldavian Massacre. I don't think that's an unrealistic type of storyline. But as far as cliffhangers go, it was hard to beat because it was so shocking. What sucked about it is that all of the main characters survived. But the show got ridiculous with Dex and Alexis going to rescue the King, meanwhile, Krystle being kidnapped and replaced by a doppelgänger, and Fallon missing and having amnesia, all of those situations happening at th same time.

by Anonymousreply 200September 4, 2015 2:47 AM

The Krystle kidnap was SO RIDICULOUS! But I LOVED it. I think it was my favorites storyline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 4, 2015 2:51 AM

The show got bad the minute season 6 started and they all staggered out of the church. The writing turned to shit. They must have switched show-runners or head writers or something.

by Anonymousreply 202September 4, 2015 3:07 AM

I loved the Krystle/Rita storyline, too! I loved Rita, she cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 203September 4, 2015 3:22 AM

There were individual scenes of Rita/Krystal that were fun, but in general it dragged on way too long and wasn't that entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 204September 4, 2015 3:24 AM

[quote] There were individual scenes of Rita/Krystal that were fun, but in general it dragged on way too long and wasn't that entertaining.

It was even more ridiculous than the Moldavian Massacre and it was a complete snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2015 3:41 AM

The Rita/Krystal story was ridiculous but I still loved it.

I actually think Linda Evans is a good actress. She was great in the first season and she had chemistry with all of her co-stars, but most of all, Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 206September 4, 2015 3:43 AM

Yep, a lot of people around here call Linda Evans wood, but she did a subtle and good job with the good scripts in season 1. The quality of her character's script faded fast in season 2, though I thought Alexis was well written... I remember thinking she was literally kind of dangerous.

I also enjoyed the doppelgänger storyline (Evans part, the leathery George Hamilton's hamming it up not so much.) But I'm a sucker for dopplegangers... I think they're hilarious storylines and almost always when it involves a female character the imposter has some southern accent worth of regional dinner theater.

by Anonymousreply 207September 4, 2015 4:03 AM

The Rita story was terrible and the ratings reflected it. God, that show got bad.

The first year is great, with Fallon being a hose bag, and tortured Steven. Then in season 2 it reached new heights with Joan Collins.

After that it was a steady decline, with the bottom falling out in season 6.

by Anonymousreply 208September 4, 2015 4:13 AM

Which season was the worst? 7 or 8? I don't remember much about 7 but didn't 8 have that lame gubernatorial race between Blake and Alexis?

Season 9 was surprisingly good and well written.

by Anonymousreply 209September 4, 2015 4:58 AM

R209 David Paulsen from Dallas was brought in for the last season to improve the storylines and it worked. At least the series ended on somewhat of a creative high. But of course they had to do the reunion film which sucked because they ended the series with a cliffhanger with Blake shot and Alexis Dex going over the balcony.

by Anonymousreply 210September 4, 2015 5:31 AM

I checked out from Dynasty long before Season 9, and I haven't the will to view any of what I missed, even though people say that final season was a turnaround. The show was a mess for years, yet as an adolescent I continued to watch for the first few seasons, as for me and my friends it was trashy and fun must-see TV.

Dynasty's (and The Colbys', in addition to it being "Dynasty Lite") downfall was all of the asinine casting issues (i.e., firings, characters disappearing without any explanation, terrible recasts), writing (i.e., slow and monotonous, repetitious and monotonous, dropped storylines, dumb storylines [i.e., Fallon taken by the UFO]), convoluted character relationships (e.g., "I'm your cousin/nephew/sibling/father/mother/foundling/no relation at all. Oh, wait! Let's retcon everything and make it even more complicated and nonsensical), and changes in character personality and motivations that seemed to come from nowhere (e.g., Joseph attempting to kill Alexis and Krystle. Really? And that's only one of many).

I did not mind the Moldavian Massacre. Yet, they missed an opportunity to develop some strong storylines from what could have been a pivotal and dramatic moment, reintegrate Matthew back into the show for a substantial and meaningful story arc, bring back Lindsey as a bombshell with revenge on her mind, and shake up the existing characters. The MM was a joke because of how it was written and how the aftermath - or lack thereof - was handled, which the powers that were were always good for.

by Anonymousreply 211September 4, 2015 5:57 AM

I think Claudia should have died in the Moldavian Massacre, considering how she died a year later in the fire at La Mirage.

I remember the first time I saw that episode when I was 13, it was on a Friday night, and I was so shocked, I couldn't wait until Monday night to see the next episode. I was so scared that Jeff would have been killed off before he could find Fallon, who was still alive and waiting to be found.

by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2015 6:10 AM

R212 Considering it was annoying Emma he ended up finding instead of Pamela Sue he would've been better off dead lol. You must've been watching it on Soapnet or something at the time and hadn't heard he was going to be on the spin off.

by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2015 6:23 AM

R209 yes, I've heard season 9 was good, but I'd checked out by then. I did watch that terrible reunion though. At the end, all the characters were sitting around watching "home movies" which were really just scenes from the show. Complete with close-ups and editing. It was so very bad.

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2015 6:38 AM

I remember Joan Collins blaming The Colbys for all Dynasty's creative and ratings troubles. She made a point to say she would never appear on it, and she never did.

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2015 6:44 AM

I think having two similar shows was just too much. The Colbys I think was good in concept but just ok in execution. It had too many characters even though a lot of the plots were done fairly well and could've been on Dynasty. Having Jeff and Fallon absent (James and Martin that is) from Dynasty definitely created a void in the show .

by Anonymousreply 216September 4, 2015 7:11 AM

Upthread someone said Deidre Hall was up for Krystle. I love her as Dr Marlena Evans but can't imagine her version of Krystle in the first season. Dee couldn't be so submissive and compliant .

by Anonymousreply 217September 4, 2015 7:45 AM

R213, I watched it every weeknight at 9:00pm on a brand new baby cable network called FX from 1994-1995.

Back in its infancy, FX played lots old shows like Batman, Mission: Impossible, Nanny and the Professor, Hart to Hart, etc.

FX was a very different network than it is today. It had the "FX Apartment" and you had people like Jeff Probst (before the Survivor gig) answering viewer fan mail and commenting between commercial breaks. As much as I love the edgy FX of today, I miss the good old days of the more intimate FX apartment.

by Anonymousreply 218September 4, 2015 7:58 AM

R218 I think I saw season 9 on ABC in its original run. My parents were petty liberal about "bedtime" and "content."

I definitely saw it on FX--that's where I fell in love with Wonder Woman. FX had a viewer survey: 1970s WW vs 1940s WW. I remember being so disappointed that no one liked the campy 40s version.

by Anonymousreply 219September 4, 2015 8:23 AM

The way the Carringtons treated Claudia, an outsider from day one, was just cruel. After the Moldavian Massacre they pretty much threw her away like a broken toy.

by Anonymousreply 220September 4, 2015 8:45 AM

God, R220, you sound like Claudia.

Please don't throw a baby off the ledge.

by Anonymousreply 221September 4, 2015 11:32 AM

Not plausible, R199, because nobody would ever pay a doctor to make them look like Al Corely - no matter how deformed they were. More likely explanation would be that the doctor's excellent work creating Steven's new and improved face "wore off" over time, regressing back to his original, unimproved visage (albeit without the scarring from the explosion).

by Anonymousreply 222September 4, 2015 1:03 PM

r221: a high point of the series for me.

I also loved the Moldavian massacre. A high point in eighties television for me. Second would be Krystle's kidnapping and replacement with doppelgänger Rita.

After that storyline ended, I think I fell out of regular viewing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 4, 2015 1:07 PM

Gordon Thomson cruised me in the sauna at the YMCA in Toronto many years ago... and I was too shy to do anything at the time... So no doubt in my mind that he was/is Gay...

by Anonymousreply 224September 4, 2015 1:12 PM

Tense dinner at the Carrington mansion with Blake, Krystle, Adam, Amanda, Steven and his new boyfriend Luke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 4, 2015 2:15 PM

Regarding the clip above: I just realized that the actors playing the gay characters (a little less than convincingly) are straight while the actor playing the homophobe (very convincingly) is gay.

By the way, how did Adam manage to go to Yale if he grew up poor white trash in Montana?

by Anonymousreply 226September 4, 2015 2:41 PM

Catherine Oxenburg is quite pretty but egads what a lousy actress she is. And the one they replaced her with, Karen Cellini, wasn't much better.

by Anonymousreply 227September 4, 2015 2:48 PM

R227 I don't think anyone watched Dynasty to see Streep or Olivier type acting. But Oxenberg really fit in to the fabric of the show. Spelling was so cheap not to give her a modest raise and replacing her with that horrible Karen Cellini was a huge mistake. I think the mentality was we will recast anyone in these roles (Samms was all wrong too) as long as we have the big 3 Forsythe, Evans and Collins no one will give a shit. Yes the audience cared big time. I think Dynasty still holds the record for the biggest tumble from #1.

by Anonymousreply 228September 4, 2015 2:56 PM

Except for Jack Coleman, who was such a hunk and a huge, huge improvement over sad-sack mopey Al Corely, the recasts on Dynasty SUCKED and I agree with R228 they were a major reason for the show's fall from popularity. They couldn't even be bothered to explain who had what accent. First Fallon's American, then British (except when she makes a half-hearted attempt once every few weeks to do an American accent). First Amanda is British, then a dowdy American. Blake, who is American, has a brother is from Australia with a British accent. The brother's daughter, also from Australia, has an American accent. It's as if they completely did not care about any of this and thought the audience was to enthralled by the "witty put-downs" and jaw-dropping suspense to notice/care (we weren't).

by Anonymousreply 229September 4, 2015 3:12 PM

Cellini was truly awful as Amanda. She was discovered in the Hard Rock Cafe, and she went right back there after she was axed.

by Anonymousreply 230September 4, 2015 3:13 PM

R229 you bitches are so basic you missed the point! Dynasty was about extremely wealthy people that you could never hope to know! They had so much money and class and were such jetsetters that they just coudln't help but pick up all kinds of different accents. It's just what happens when you live a life of luxury!!!

by Anonymousreply 231September 4, 2015 3:22 PM

I think other shows have tumbled just as quickly from #1, but most times it's due to a time slot change; Dynasty's fall was self-created through bad writing and bad re-casting.

That 1984-85 season was Dynasty at its peak -- if not creatively, then in impact (it would've been creatively if Pamela Sue Martin had stuck around). I also think it's worth noting that the 84-85 season, when it was #1, was the season with Steven and Luke's romance -- I think people underestimate the cultural impact that had -- the majority of TV viewers tuning in each week to see a romance develop between two men.

by Anonymousreply 232September 4, 2015 3:27 PM

They should have worked out a deal with Oxenberg. The recast was horrible. But it probably didn't matter at this point because the show had turned to shit. Why they even brought Matthew back after Claudia had died made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 233September 4, 2015 3:29 PM

[quote] Catherine Oxenburg is quite pretty but egads what a lousy actress she is. And the one they replaced her with, Karen Cellini, wasn't much better.

Mummy!

by Anonymousreply 234September 4, 2015 4:32 PM

I'll raise your Amanda's Mummy with a Kirby's Puh...PAH!

I was going to say Adam was the only Carrington kid not replaced but then I remembered that shitty "reunion" and he was replaced. Speaking of which, why was Alexis in the fashion industry??? What happened to Colbyco?

by Anonymousreply 235September 4, 2015 5:10 PM

Hard Rock Cafe, R230? I would have assumed Hooters!

by Anonymousreply 236September 4, 2015 5:37 PM

Yes, R236. But I don't remember her having big-uns. Just how little she resembled Oxenberg. Including her flat American accent which really constrasted with Oxenberg's clipped mid-Atlantic speech patterns.

by Anonymousreply 237September 4, 2015 5:42 PM

Samms hardly resembled Martin. Samms was chubby while Martin was rail-thin.

by Anonymousreply 238September 4, 2015 5:45 PM

Oh, I forgot about Kirby. She was such a wuss, even worse than Krystle. She was like some fragile flower.

by Anonymousreply 239September 4, 2015 6:20 PM

R231 Calm down Joan. You're too old to get that excited without risking a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 240September 4, 2015 6:51 PM

Oh Linda, at R240. Still bitter that Thompson had your love, Yanni?

by Anonymousreply 241September 4, 2015 7:20 PM

It must have been the thing...even Jamie Sommers had a doubleganger.

by Anonymousreply 242September 4, 2015 8:54 PM

I liked it when Blake stepped out of the shower and announced the prior year was a dream.

by Anonymousreply 243September 4, 2015 9:38 PM

Harold Faltermeyer took Corely and gave him Square Rooms which was rejected by Laura Branigan. Faltermeyer had worked with Branigan's Self Control and he said, the song would make him the next Laura Branigan.

Seeing that neither Branigan nor Corely ever had a top ten hit after that statement he was right.

Seriously who on Earth would want to be the "next Laura Branigan."

by Anonymousreply 244September 4, 2015 9:41 PM

I caught Linda Evans and Joan Collins on stage in Legends a few years ago in Beverly Hills. Terrible show. One of the worst scripts ever. And Evans had no idea how to act on stage.

Not fun.

by Anonymousreply 245September 4, 2015 9:45 PM

I saw Joan Collins on a stage in Tijuana with a German Shepard in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 246September 4, 2015 9:54 PM

Watched the Square Rooms video the other day again. Corley easily rivaled Coleman in hotness .

by Anonymousreply 247September 4, 2015 10:36 PM

He should have called it queer rooms.

by Anonymousreply 248September 4, 2015 10:40 PM

You're full of shit, Linda at R246.

It was a Belgian Malinois.

by Anonymousreply 249September 4, 2015 10:50 PM

Forever Krystal. The love that lasts forever. By Charles of the Ritz.

Note the billet doux from 'Blake' in the ad. 'I'll love you forever. Blake.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 4, 2015 10:59 PM

The bath and body range.

' Just open this flap, to release its luxury'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 4, 2015 11:01 PM

The romance continues.

Carrington cologne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 4, 2015 11:03 PM

R250 couldn't you have just said love letter?

by Anonymousreply 253September 4, 2015 11:05 PM

Joan got a cheapie scent too.

Spectacular.

'It's a shopping spree on Rodeo Drive. It's knowing there's no limit on your credit card. It's looking fabulous in everything you bought. Its returning nothing. Ever. '

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254September 4, 2015 11:06 PM

Hahahahaha, R247. That's a good one! Al Corely looked like a drugged-up Neanderthal and that was on a good day. Jack Coleman was chiseled perfection from head to toe and everywhere in between. There's a reason the show hit #1 with Jack in the role (not to mention how it only survived one season after he quit).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255September 4, 2015 11:06 PM

R253, I'm gay. Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 256September 4, 2015 11:07 PM

OMG! These luxurious fragrance adds are hilarious! Good finds!

by Anonymousreply 257September 4, 2015 11:17 PM

I can't be the only one who gets hard thinking of a drugged-up Neanderthal.

Al Corley was the best. Jack Coleman was a polyurethane facsimile.

by Anonymousreply 258September 4, 2015 11:17 PM

OMG! the TV commercial ...did they sell a lot of this crap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 4, 2015 11:19 PM

Never found Claudia attractive but she's looking great these days. So is Al.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 4, 2015 11:36 PM

Coleman is the one that held up the best. He still looks hot.

I watched an interview with Oxenberg... she must have had some (bad) plastic surgery. She didn't even look like herself.

by Anonymousreply 261September 4, 2015 11:41 PM

Pamela Sue Martin looks like her brain is eating her eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 4, 2015 11:44 PM

My grandmother, who never watched Dynasty, always wore Forever Krystle. You could find it at KMart well into the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 263September 4, 2015 11:44 PM

But a young, healthy Pamela Sue couldn't be beat. Too bad she was such a fucking nut case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 4, 2015 11:46 PM

Good lord you must be blind as a bat, R258! Corely was a mopey dullard compared to Jack Coleman with his carpe diem vigor and devlish grin. But don't take my word for it - look at the ratings! Jack's relationship with William Campbell's Luke was front and center 84-85 and that's when Dynasty hit #1. It's no coincidence that ratings took off dramatically when Corely excited. He just didn't connect with the audience. Jack on the other hand gave off such animal magnetism that the public had no choice but to tune in - they were helpless against his allure. Jack left after season 8 and the show was cancelled over year later. Corely returned for the trivium which was neither a critical of ratings hit. Numbers don't lie, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 265September 5, 2015 12:07 AM

r262

Seriously, she wouldn't look bad if she knew how to apply make up correctly. Women's Lib for all it's good still needs to go back to the basics of teaching women how to apply make up. You need to put make up on so it looks like you're not wearing any.

by Anonymousreply 266September 5, 2015 12:17 AM

[quote] You need to put make up on so it looks like you're not wearing any.

What utter nonesense!

by Anonymousreply 267September 5, 2015 12:20 AM

I have to chime in as another Al Corley fan. He was gorgeous - especially in his (immensely cheesy) Square Rooms music video. Jack Coleman was a bland replacement. I'm surprised he has so many fans here! I will say that Jack has aged very well. I remember enjoying him on the first season of Heroes. he looks better now than he did on Dynasty.

He is not a Ken doll though. The Ken doll of Dynasty is of course Ted McGinley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 5, 2015 12:24 AM

The highlight of the Forever Krystle TV spot is when she drags the stopper down between her tits and then gives a dirty little chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 269September 5, 2015 12:31 AM

[quote] But don't take my word for it - look at the ratings! Jack's relationship with William Campbell's Luke was front and center 84-85 and that's when Dynasty hit #1.

Steven and Luke's relationship had nothing to do with Dynasty being #1 in the ratings. Yes, it was a novelty to have ongoing gay characters on a network show in 1984, but that was not why viewers were tuning in. Viewers were there for the over-the-top, camp, lifestyle of the wealthy and glamorous plots.

The fact they saw about 3-4 minutes of a gay romance each week may have lured in a tiny handful of viewers. But it would have turned off a larger number of viewers who probably stopped watching. But for most, it was just the storyline you had to sit through while waiting for the next Alexis scene or the next Krystal and Blake scene.

by Anonymousreply 270September 5, 2015 12:59 AM

If The Colbys had been on first and longer it would have been a lot better than Din-asty

by Anonymousreply 271September 5, 2015 1:09 AM

If the gay storyline had been responsible for Dynasty hitting #1 in the ratings, other shows would have flocked to add gay characters.

But none did. In fact, five years later in 1989, advertisers pulled out in droves when a thirtysomething episode featured a post-coital scene between two gay men, both of whom were peripheral characters.

by Anonymousreply 272September 5, 2015 1:19 AM

The point is when Jack Coleman assumed the time of Steven (whatever the storyline) ratings went way way up! Letting butterface Corely go was the best thing to ever happen to Dynasty's ratings. No coincidence that the show crashed and burned as soon as Coleman left. Without his sex appeal to distract from the dismal storytelling Dynasty was up shit creek.

by Anonymousreply 273September 5, 2015 1:56 AM

A friend in my past swore he picked up and hooked up with John James whom he met at a charity fundraiser after Dynasty went off the air.

by Anonymousreply 274September 5, 2015 2:09 AM

Wouldn't doubt it, rumor is James is gay as a goose. Forsythe supposedly dubbed him "John Flames."

by Anonymousreply 275September 5, 2015 2:24 AM

The person who played Steven had zero to do with the ratings. The reason for the show being a hit with three words "Alexis Carrington Colby". It was the interplay between her and Blake that people turned in for. No one really gave a fuck about Steven. Fallon did make the show fun in the beginning, However.

by Anonymousreply 276September 5, 2015 2:48 AM

I loved Catherine Oxenberg and Michael Nader together. Ah...

The funniest scene ever on Dynasty was when Rebecca Fallmont(Please Don't Eat The Daisies' Pat Crowley) was killed when she ran into a parked taxi cab. She died of internal injuries hitting a parked cab. Yeah..

by Anonymousreply 277September 5, 2015 3:12 AM

I liked when they found photos of that congressman dressed up as Alexis pushing Mark Jennings off that building.

by Anonymousreply 278September 5, 2015 3:13 AM

Now I'm thinking of anyone called 'James' that I think flames, so I can substitute James for Flames.

by Anonymousreply 279September 5, 2015 3:38 AM

Happy to be of service, R279 (as is John Flames, at rest stops and gloryholes all across southern California, to hear Forsythe tell it).

by Anonymousreply 280September 5, 2015 3:46 AM

[quote]' Just open this flap, to release its luxury'

I used to suggest this to Gordon Thompson all the time. He'd never take me up on it. My flaps remained untouched by man.

by Anonymousreply 281September 5, 2015 3:52 AM

Kathleen Beller ended up marrying Thomas Dolby. Apparently she blinded him with science.

by Anonymousreply 282September 5, 2015 4:01 AM

Real Dynasty Barbie Dolls!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 5, 2015 5:14 AM

I enjoyed both Corley and Coleman as Steven, but to claim Coleman as being responsible for Dynasty's ascension in the ratings is re-writing history. It was definitely Joan Collins who injected life into the show and sent it into the stratosphere. Her Alexis is iconic, probably one of the top 5 characters from the 1980s that will be remembered forever.

by Anonymousreply 284September 5, 2015 5:22 AM

Please acknowledge the different but equal appeal of Al Corley and Jack Coleman. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 285September 5, 2015 7:39 AM

That's hard when you find one of them totally unappealing, R285. Personally, I never found Al Corely at all attractive. Coleman's definitely more up my alley (or I wish he was - haha). I also always thought Gordon Thomson and John James were very very hot. Michael Nader also had his moments as did a few others. I think it would be more accurate to say that Corely and Coleman both have their fans (although I would suspect that taking away all nostalgic feelings for particular eras of the show, a man like Jack Coleman would typically turn more heads than someone like Al Corely, but that's just a good guess).

by Anonymousreply 286September 5, 2015 7:46 AM

Forever Krystle smelled like some kind of laundry product of the era. Tide powder or drier sheets.

by Anonymousreply 287September 5, 2015 9:45 AM

[quote]I liked when they found photos of that congressman dressed up as Alexis pushing Mark Jennings off that building.

That episode was just one a week or two ago. He looked more like Frank-N-Furter than Joan Collins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288September 5, 2015 10:04 AM

That's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 289September 5, 2015 10:08 AM

R260 Al has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 290September 5, 2015 12:14 PM

R290 I think he looks pretty ok for 60.

by Anonymousreply 291September 5, 2015 2:31 PM

That song Square Rooms is just so bad. It does sound like something Laura Branigan would have recorded.

by Anonymousreply 292September 5, 2015 2:32 PM

R288 thanks for posting that. Hysterical. There was also a shot of him where you could see his full body, all decked out in Nolan Miller's finest. He was looking over the balcony after pushing Mark.

by Anonymousreply 293September 5, 2015 2:35 PM

It gets worse. I guess this is Al's follow up. Cold Dresses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 5, 2015 2:35 PM

I'll never forget that queen Christopher Schemmering's opening sentence in his overview of Dynasty in "The Soap Opera Encylopedia":

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes every Wednesday night: Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 295September 5, 2015 2:44 PM

I don't understand his reference, R285. Didn't Dynasty follow a fairly typical trajectory both creatively and ratings wise? (I.E took a while to find it's footing, became wildly popular and peaked, then declined in quality and ratings until cancellation).

by Anonymousreply 296September 5, 2015 3:14 PM

[quote]That song Square Rooms is just so bad. It does sound like something Laura Branigan would have recorded.

Bitch, they gave it to me first and threw it in their face, after I wiped my ass with it.

by Anonymousreply 297September 5, 2015 3:54 PM

R291 not even close to aging as good as Coleman has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298September 5, 2015 4:16 PM

Oh... My... God... R294...

That shit is so... SCARILY EMBARRASSING....

Who the fuck directed that?

Who the fuck thought it a good idea to use a shirtless male ballerina in a tutu?

And what is up with Corley's AWFUL dancing? Absolutely dreadful! And what the hell is he wearing, a bag!?

And what's the deal with Corley in the gay couple photo?

It's too bad, Corley could have had Howard Jones' career.

One thing I can't deny, I love Corley's buttery blond hair.

by Anonymousreply 299September 5, 2015 5:06 PM

Since John James took the John Travolta route of getting married with a family...

Do we think John and John ever met each other and hooked up back during the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 300September 5, 2015 5:08 PM

Season 8 was imo by far the worst season. It had the terrible UFO storyline which was embarassing. I actually feel sorry for Emma Samms being saddled with that one. It also had the mad Leslie, who was very unconvincing as a seductress. She was like nails down a blackboard. Also the Sean Rowan thing was pure pantomime stuff! If you can think of a worse season I'd like to hear it?

by Anonymousreply 301September 5, 2015 5:46 PM

Attention data loungers. Please can all references to John James cease immediately. Reference should be made to John Flames.

by Anonymousreply 302September 5, 2015 5:52 PM

'It had the terrible UFO storyline which was embarrassing'

Honey, those Dynasty writer bitches were strangers to embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 303September 5, 2015 5:53 PM

I wouldn't have minded so much if they had rounded off that UFO story-line, but it just tapered off. It was just an excuse to break up jeff and Fallon, a very ellaborate excuse! Fallon took it all so seriously, it got tedious very quickly, like that UFO meeting they went to? haha

by Anonymousreply 304September 5, 2015 6:01 PM

Didn't the UFO thing happen on The Colbys?

by Anonymousreply 305September 5, 2015 6:32 PM

The UFO thing started right and the end of the last season of the Colby's but most of it was played out in Dynasty ie the aftermath. I have just remembered those cheesy flashback scenes where they showed the aliens, really bad masks haha oh it was woeful, how did they all keep a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 306September 5, 2015 6:44 PM

In an interview posted above, John Flames said that if "The Colbys" had been renewed for a third season, the UFO storyline would have been played out as Fallon having a nervous breakdown, and Jeff and Fallon dealing with it. Actually, it would have been pretty consistent with the earlier mental problems she had.

You know, sometimes, I wonder if amnesia is a real thing? Or if people just fake it? My aunt had a nervous breakdown in the early '90s, she disappeared for awhile, and then when the police picked her up, she had been sleeping in a ditch, she said she didn't know who she was. Then she used a different name, her middle name plus some other name. Honestly, I don't know if she really had amnesia or if she was just faking it. She's been in and out of mental institutions ever since.

by Anonymousreply 307September 5, 2015 7:30 PM

BWAA HAA HAA The alien abduction. Emma can't even thump her steering wheel convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 308September 5, 2015 7:37 PM

Opps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309September 5, 2015 7:37 PM

Catching up on the POP episodes I DVR.

Was just treated to seeing Rock Hudson chained to a wall in Paraguay after being roughed up by the evil military. One of the tortures then proceeded to stick his thumb into Hudson's bleeding open wound on his leg.

OOPS!

Guess Daniel Reese got his revenge on that guy!

by Anonymousreply 310September 6, 2015 3:01 AM

Here's an interview with Al Corley from back in 1984. He says he'd do a porno with Laurence Olivier.

What a sweetie. You know, there was just something about him that WAS Steven. He really put himself into that role. Very honest performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311September 6, 2015 9:58 AM

All Corely is a huge closet case, in my opinion. The type hides in plain site associating with anything and everything gay and yet insisting that they are somehow straight.

Let's see: his career as a studio 54 "doorman" in the 70s? Gay. His euro trash flamboyant dance music? Very gay. His only still known acting roll as Steven Carrington #1? Breakthrough gay. Giving interviews saying that he'd like to make porn with Lawrence Olivier? One of the gayest things spoken ever by anyone, anywhere.

Come on, who's had him? My guess is the list is long, thick, and veiny.

by Anonymousreply 312September 6, 2015 1:07 PM

Plus he pings like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 313September 6, 2015 1:11 PM

It reveals nothing, but Al Corley is a very devoted father.

by Anonymousreply 314September 6, 2015 2:14 PM

The only good part of the UFO storyline was the brief scene where Jeff mocked Fallon for it, to her face.

It might have been salvaged if they had played it like a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 315September 6, 2015 2:28 PM

Season 6 was my favorite it was the longest and had Alexis at her most willful! What's everyone elses favorite season?

by Anonymousreply 316September 6, 2015 5:09 PM

R316 YES! That season was hysterical. I loved all the stuff regarding the South China Sea lease, and how Alexis kept undermining Blake! And of course also for the fact that Clay Fallmont is in this season!

by Anonymousreply 317September 6, 2015 5:51 PM

[R17] how about that campy scene in her office when Alexis tries to seduce Blake? in that scene you realise that this woman just wanted a bit of sex with the man she truly loved. If Blake had slipped her one every now and then she would have been easier to get along with. Never mess with a scorned horny woman haha!

by Anonymousreply 318September 6, 2015 5:56 PM

Instead of a present day reboot of Dynasty I'd like a prequel. Starting about 1960.......now that Mad Men is gone.

by Anonymousreply 319September 6, 2015 6:04 PM

[quote]Instead of a present day reboot of Dynasty I'd like a prequel. Starting about 1960.......now that Mad Men is gone.

Oooh, that could be good. Blake, the rising young executive; Alexis, the power-hungry tough broad; Krystal, the hooker with a heart of gold; Jeff, the high school heartthrob experimenting with his sexuality...

by Anonymousreply 320September 6, 2015 6:10 PM

Umm in 1960 Krystle would be about 15 and Jeff a very young child !

by Anonymousreply 321September 6, 2015 6:11 PM

They can flash forward to '68, R321.

by Anonymousreply 322September 6, 2015 6:16 PM

And Blake's dad having flings left and right!

by Anonymousreply 323September 6, 2015 6:19 PM

There has been talk about a Dynasty comeback of some kind for about 5 or 6 years now. It won't ever happen, because they know it belongs in the 1980s. They brought back Dallas and after the initial flurry of nostalgic enthusiasm, it bombed, and was cancelled. No way are they going to gamble on bringing back a soap which has not been relavent for 26 years!

by Anonymousreply 324September 6, 2015 6:24 PM

Karen Cellini had a "look" that Spelling really liked in those days. She bear more than passing physical resemblance to Tracy Scoggins, who was playing Monica on The Colby's. High cheekbones, big teeth. Shame Spelling didn't notice that Cellini had zero acting experience and it showed.

Yes, Kevin Conroy (Bart Fallmont) is indeed gay. In fact I had him while he was playing Jerry on AW.

by Anonymousreply 325September 6, 2015 6:34 PM

Do people consider the Dallas reboot a "bomb"? It was on for three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 326September 6, 2015 6:35 PM

You have very broad tastes, R325. To my eyes Tracy Scoggins had very striking, very beautiful features (especially those eyes) while Karen Cellini was quite plain-looking. Katherine Oxenberg was very beautiful and charismatic - her replacement was like a dishrag in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 6, 2015 6:48 PM

What i mean is that although Dallas ran a few seasons the fact is it belonged in its own time. A Dynasty comeback would mean making it into an entirely different show. i doubt it would work. It should be left in 1989 where it breathed its last breaths. I don't count the stupid miniseries of 1991.

by Anonymousreply 328September 6, 2015 6:52 PM

My favorite Dynasty season is season three because it's when Adam shows up.

Who else watched John James as Dr. Rick Decker on.ATWT?

by Anonymousreply 329September 6, 2015 7:00 PM

She was a terrible actress but in no way was Karen Cellini a dishrag. She was fucking gorgous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 6, 2015 7:01 PM

Different tastes I guess - I find Cellini's looks very Midwestern, frauish, frumpy, matronly (whatever synonym you want to use)... no matter how much the dressed and gussied her up. Scoggins I feel had quite striking looks, far surpassing plain ol' Cellini. Not calling Cellini ugly but she didn't have "movie star" looks which I believe Scoggins definitely did.

by Anonymousreply 331September 6, 2015 7:09 PM

So, was Carly Simon the Taylor Swift of the early '80s? Was she the go to beard for gay male celebrities?

What was she doing in a relationship with Al Corley, 11 years her junior?

Btw, I think Corley is currently divorced.

by Anonymousreply 332September 6, 2015 7:18 PM

After Hagman died, the showrunner, Cynthia Cidre, tried to turn Dallas 2.0 into a Mexican telenovela. That's why a lot of viewers bailed.

by Anonymousreply 333September 6, 2015 7:28 PM

A prequel would be in many way interesting. Although a prequel would also mean pre -fortune/pre over the top glamour. If you take away the over the top glamour it won't be "Dynasty".

by Anonymousreply 334September 6, 2015 8:12 PM

Alexis was born with money.... jet-setter from an early age.

by Anonymousreply 335September 6, 2015 8:27 PM

So why was Caress broke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336September 6, 2015 8:51 PM

[quote]Alexis Morrell was born in either May or June (she's a Gemini) of 1937 in London, but was schooled in Switzerland. She was the daughter of a Royal Warrant holder as British tailor to King George VI. She has a younger sister, Caress Morrell (who changed her name from Cassandra). She was first a painter and attended the Royal Academy of Arts, but dropped out after nearly a year and worked as an artist's model in Brussels.

In 1954, Alexis met Blake Carrington when she was 17 and, three days later, Blake proposed to Alexis. Within a month they were married. Alexis gave birth to their first child, Adam Alexander Carrington, but on the morning of September 29, 1957, baby Adam was kidnapped. When Alexis reached out to Blake for support, she was met with coldness. He threw himself into building his company, Denver-Carrington. However, in the back of her mind, Alexis was upset with Blake for calling off the search for Adam and he was now trying to replace their first son with Steven Daniel Carrington. Blake continued his focus on building his Denver-Carrington empire, and, feeling neglected, she reached out and started an affair with Cecil Colby. Eventually, she became pregnant again and did not know the paternity of the child. She later gave birth to a daughter, Fallon, who would turn out to be Blake's. Alexis became jealous of the attention that Blake showered on their daughter. Following Fallon, Blake and Alexis had their third child, Steven.

During the final years of their marriage, Blake went on several business trips often leaving Alexis alone for weeks on end. She started an affair with Roger Grimes, the estate manager of the Carrington Estate, who encouraged Alexis to pursue her dream as a painter and built her an artist's studio on the grounds. One particular afternoon, Blake found the two in bed. In 1965, he divorced Alexis and exiled her from Denver for years, paying her a lavish settlement on the condition that she never contact him or their children again.

During her exile from Denver, Alexis led a jestset lifestyle, travelling to exotic places such as Capri, Portofino and Cannes. She was romantically linked to several men, including Jason Colby, Zachary Powers, and Rashid Ahmed.

She was living in Acapulco until she was called to testify against her ex-husband in court in 1981.

From wikipedia

by Anonymousreply 337September 6, 2015 8:56 PM

Actually on paper it was Blake who was the real villain of the show. He was an asshole, neglected his wife, banished her from her kids when she dared cheat on him after years of coldness, then treated his kids badly especially his son, eventually killing his son Steven's lover, also he raped Krystle when he found she was on the pill. They may have whitwashed him but he continued to be a sanctimonious hypocrite throughout the rest of the shows run. No wonder Alexis had a vendetta against him.

by Anonymousreply 338September 6, 2015 9:30 PM

That summary at 337 doesn't make sense. Was Steven the second or third child? And where's the mention of Amanda?

by Anonymousreply 339September 6, 2015 9:41 PM

Steven was third.

by Anonymousreply 340September 6, 2015 9:46 PM

A prequel would never work. Alexis would have to be pregnant the whole time.

One awful bit of writing I remember was when Krystal and Blake's daughter were born. Krystal goes "I'll name her Christina. After a person I once knew who showed courage". Huh? Who is this person? Why did we never hear of her before? Why did we never hear of her again? Terrible, terrible writing.

by Anonymousreply 341September 6, 2015 9:48 PM

R338 they really swept the rape under the carpet, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 342September 6, 2015 9:48 PM

Come on R342, do I even have to say it?

by Anonymousreply 343September 6, 2015 10:06 PM

I always thought Pan Am should have been a prequel to Dynasty, with Margot Robbie playing young Krystle.

by Anonymousreply 344September 6, 2015 10:08 PM

I MISS PAN AM!

by Anonymousreply 345September 6, 2015 10:21 PM

LOL, R343!

by Anonymousreply 346September 6, 2015 10:23 PM

R343 Oh, this was "rape rape". He forcefully penetrated her when she didn't want it. It was unambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 347September 6, 2015 10:33 PM

R342, Blake did reference the rape to Rita in Season 6, so it's not like it was completely forgotten.

Actually, I don't think people find spousal rape that alarming if it's a single incident. If it's an ongoing thing, that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 348September 6, 2015 10:46 PM

R348 Are you trolling? Rape is rape! If your partner doesn't want to dish out, find a lover/ mistress or a prostitute, anyone who is willing.... don't rape your spouse or anyone!

by Anonymousreply 349September 6, 2015 10:51 PM

R348 = Blake Carrington

by Anonymousreply 350September 6, 2015 10:56 PM

In the early 80s there was no law against spousal rape in many places. Not sure about Colorado. It's a relatively recent thing believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 351September 6, 2015 10:58 PM

Actually i was watching season six, and the whole part where Rita is masquerading as Krystle. She keeps rejecting his sexual advances and he goes mad, gets quite violent, so although we were meant to soften towards the character he was always full of unresolved anger, he was controlling, and his relationship with Krystle was patriarchal, at times creepy.

by Anonymousreply 352September 6, 2015 10:59 PM

R349, I certainly don't condone rape. At the same time, I don't think every instance of rape is equally bad. Context qualifies it. While spousal rape is bad, I don't consider it to have the same weight as date rape. Anyway, it's not like the ratings back then went down after Blake raped Krystle.

by Anonymousreply 353September 6, 2015 11:00 PM

[quote] I don't think every instance of rape is equally bad.

Well, that saves me calling the crisis line.

by Anonymousreply 354September 6, 2015 11:02 PM

Did "daytime" steal story lines from Dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 355September 6, 2015 11:02 PM

Are we at least in agreement that child rape is worse than spousal rape?

by Anonymousreply 356September 6, 2015 11:04 PM

Adam certainly inherited Blake's predilictions for rape. he raped Kirby and as I recall tried to rape Dana at one point.

by Anonymousreply 357September 6, 2015 11:05 PM

The worst by far is Eskimo on Puerto Rican rape in the parking lot of a Piggly Wiggly. I mean, can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 358September 6, 2015 11:06 PM

R356 Rape is rape. Both are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 359September 6, 2015 11:06 PM

The viewpoint was certainly different back then. From "Dynasty" to "General Hospital".

Today, you wouldn't be able to get away with that kind of storyline where a rapist continues to be a good guy. On "Buffy", they had to give Spike his soul back afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 360September 6, 2015 11:08 PM

I was molested in Denver.

by Anonymousreply 361September 6, 2015 11:09 PM

The point is, a marriage could still possibly survive after spousal rape. It's not necessarily a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 362September 6, 2015 11:10 PM

I thought Blake was a prick from the beginning. That's why I was always on Alexis' side.

by Anonymousreply 363September 6, 2015 11:11 PM

I think Dynasty did inspire a sudden emergence of long lost first wives or even just long lost female characters, after Alexis showed up in her hat, veil and villainous fury in October, 1981 (having first appeared nameless and faceless in the May cliffhanger of that year.) Liz Taylor played Helena Cassadine in November of that year. Y&R produced Dina Mergeron in April, 1983. Alexandra Spaulding emerged on Guiding Light in Feb. 1984.

by Anonymousreply 364September 6, 2015 11:12 PM

R362 A marriage where a spouse is beaten regularly can also survive , that's not a deal breaker either.

by Anonymousreply 365September 6, 2015 11:16 PM

R365, I'm talking about an isolated incident rather than an ongoing thing.

by Anonymousreply 366September 6, 2015 11:18 PM

R365 Yes, and if you only beat your wife once, that's not a deal breaker either. Perfectly acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 367September 6, 2015 11:22 PM

[quote]Are we at least in agreement that child rape is worse than spousal rape?

Context, baby, context!

by Anonymousreply 368September 6, 2015 11:23 PM

My Tourette's is out of control!

by Anonymousreply 369September 6, 2015 11:26 PM

It wasn't rape rape.

And watch me on the 19th season of The View! This Tuesday, baby!

by Anonymousreply 370September 6, 2015 11:33 PM

We watched it play out. Blake raped Krystal. He had sex with her when she didn't want to. He forced her. It was horrible.

They never should have even made it a storyline if they were going to have them stay together. It sent a terrible message. And it was quite early on, too. First season, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 371September 6, 2015 11:42 PM

Awful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372September 6, 2015 11:45 PM

Thank you R371 and R372 You proved my point! - And Blake was a pig AND a dog!

by Anonymousreply 373September 6, 2015 11:58 PM

It makes you wonder how many times he did that to Alexis! Then again, Alexis probably enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 374September 7, 2015 12:09 AM

Are we sure this wasn't a Luke and Laura type of thing? You know.. a "seduction?"

by Anonymousreply 375September 7, 2015 12:10 AM

That rape scene was pretty ugly... but also a good indication of why Dynasty was a different, better show in Season 1 and Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 376September 7, 2015 12:37 AM

You should have seen john's rape scenes from Bachelor Father. Horrific.

by Anonymousreply 377September 7, 2015 12:40 AM

Except for the lack of Jack Coleman, season 1 & 2 were among Dynasty's best.

by Anonymousreply 378September 7, 2015 12:52 AM

[quote]You should have seen john's rape scenes from Bachelor Father. Horrific.

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 379September 7, 2015 12:59 AM

I wouldn't mind a mini-series to restart the show and test the water. At least most characters are still available and can be resurrected as needed. Unlike Falcon Crest which had the bad habit to always kill off characters. Just do a 10 episode season on ABC Family and lets see how things go. And while at it, give Dallas another try too, just make it about the Ewings. Who ever wanted Dallas about the Ramoses? Sigh...

by Anonymousreply 380September 7, 2015 1:00 AM

The Jack Coleman and Al Corley fan girls are exhausting. Current day Corley would be perfect for the Jeff Conaway story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381September 7, 2015 1:02 AM

Corley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382September 7, 2015 1:03 AM

the Lifetime Jeff Conaway biopic

by Anonymousreply 383September 7, 2015 1:05 AM

Coleman hasn't fared much better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384September 7, 2015 1:10 AM

After watching Cold Dresses I had to switch to camp Jack. I can never look at Al the in the same way. However neither will ever come close to the hotness that was Max.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385September 7, 2015 1:18 AM

Coleman's headlining Heroes Reborn this fall on NBC so I'd say he's getting the best roles of any Dynasty alum at the moment (apologies to JC). Just proves hotness never dies and Jack's portrayal of Steven really did make millions of dicks hard and set millions of pussies on fire.

by Anonymousreply 386September 7, 2015 1:20 AM

OMG! HEROES REBORN? I didn't hear about that. You just made my day R386 YAY!!! (and Coleman was kinda hot in Heroes)

by Anonymousreply 387September 7, 2015 1:29 AM

What is Linda up to these days? According to her imdb profile she took only a handful of roles after Dynasty, even though she was in her mid-40s when it went off the air.

by Anonymousreply 388September 7, 2015 1:40 AM

R387 where have you been? It was Greenlit a long time ago and it's been mentioned here more than half a dozen times!

by Anonymousreply 389September 7, 2015 1:47 AM

r364 Rich husbands banishing their deceitful wives to another continent and forbidding contact with their children was very trendy on soaps in the early 80s.

All My Children did it first with millionaire Palmer Cortlandt's exiled wife, Daisy Cortlandt coming back to Pine Valley and posing as a stranger named Monique Jonvil in order to have a relationship with her 18 year-old daughter Nina.

Soon after that, One Life to Live did a similar storyline with Olympia Buchanan, the exiled wife of millionaire Asa Buchanan, coming back seeking revenge against her ex-husband and a relationship with her two grown sons.

Both those storylines began in 1980, before the Dynasty version of it.

by Anonymousreply 390September 7, 2015 1:59 AM

[quote]posing as a stranger named Monique Jonvil in order to have a relationship with her 18 year-old daughter Nina.

Ooh, kinkaaaay!

by Anonymousreply 391September 7, 2015 2:16 AM

I just know Sean Cudahy was titty fucking Monique.

by Anonymousreply 392September 7, 2015 2:51 AM

I'm not sure about Sean and Monique, but I did walk in on Monique/Daisy's mom, Myra Murdock, relating Jasper Sloane.

by Anonymousreply 393September 7, 2015 3:33 AM

Excuse me, relating = fellating. Fucking auto-correct.

by Anonymousreply 394September 7, 2015 3:36 AM

Jackie on Assistance used to do that for 20 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 395September 7, 2015 3:37 AM

When Alexis first appeared in 1981 i think the audience was meant to side with her a bit. She immediately came across as being more tolerant and loving of her kids than Blake. Krystle and Blake's relationship from the start was meant to be messy I think, it was meant to be conflicted. But by season 4 they seem to have decided to drop that in favor of selling them as the ideal romantic couple, very saccharine and sweet. Hence the fragrances et al 'To my darling Krystle, I had this perfume made for you because I think it's as beautiful as you...' etc they made a mistake in not keeping their marriage complex.

by Anonymousreply 396September 7, 2015 8:08 AM

I think once Jack Coleman took over the role of Steven around that time, R296, his handsome good looks and winning smile sort of put Blake and Krystle in such a good mood all the time that they couldn't help but fall in love all over again, basking in Steven's newfound handsomeness and sex appeal and the invigorating effect it had on the whole household. Compare that to Season 9 after Jack left, Krystle went downhill very quickly and was shipped off to Europe with health problems. "The Coleman Effect" in action.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397September 7, 2015 8:29 AM

Don't you worry, R354. I can pencil you in for an appointment down at the Help Centah .

by Anonymousreply 398September 7, 2015 8:31 AM

Can we at least all agree that being raped by Jack Coleman in any context could never really be considered "rape" rape?

by Anonymousreply 399September 7, 2015 8:34 AM

Blake was a monster. He killed his son's lover, because he caught them hugging each other. Alexis was Blake's Karma and, as always, Karma is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 400September 7, 2015 8:40 AM

[quote]"The Coleman Effect" in action.

Thanks for the laugh. The Jack Coleman troll is just determined to find some a way to attribute Dynasty's success and failure to Jack. LOL.

Jack was on Scandal too. Maybe you should go pitch your Coleman Effect ideas on a Scandal thread.

Oh, and he was on Days of Our Lives too. Try pitching The Coleman Effect on one of the Days threads. There are four or five threads going right now.

by Anonymousreply 401September 7, 2015 8:40 AM

Coleman did have that plastic-ky look, like he could have had some heavy-duty surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 402September 7, 2015 8:49 AM

R400 Blake killing Ted Denard was an accident. He didn't mean to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 403September 7, 2015 9:34 AM

Oh please it may have been accidental, but he wished Ted harm, he attacked the guy! Don't defend that asshole Blake, he was a total fraud.

by Anonymousreply 404September 7, 2015 10:28 AM

R404 The death was a complete accident. Blake was a jerk, but not a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 405September 7, 2015 10:41 AM

Blake didn't kill Ted Dinard... At least he didn't "kill kill" him... - Yes, it was "only" manslaughter, but it happened, because Blake was a meddling control freak, who couldn't leave it to his offspring to deal with their own affairs.

by Anonymousreply 406September 7, 2015 10:47 AM

No it wasn't a complete accident. Physical assult resulting in an accidental death isn't a "complete" accident.

by Anonymousreply 407September 7, 2015 10:51 AM

Blake didn't mean to kill him, just push him away from Steven. He was wrong to do it but it was an accident.

by Anonymousreply 408September 7, 2015 10:54 AM

No, the assult wasn't accidental, only the death.

by Anonymousreply 409September 7, 2015 11:00 AM

He was convicted for manslaughter, and got away with two years on probation. Wouldn't it have been great if he had been sent to prison, and let the rest of his family develop their characters? Fallon could have gone back to being a party slut, Krystle could have had another fling with Matthew Blaisdel and Adam could have pursued all the guys he wanted, who in return could have made more intrigues among each other.

by Anonymousreply 410September 7, 2015 11:03 AM

Did Blake send Krystle to Europe for that fee healthcare?

by Anonymousreply 411September 7, 2015 1:20 PM

I find it funny how Blake kept Krystle's brain condition a secret for several years before telling her after she had endured nearly two seasons worth of alarming funny turns. When was it she sustained this illness? does anyone know? I still think he should have told her about it.

by Anonymousreply 412September 7, 2015 1:51 PM

I think I recall them claiming her brain was injured back when Alexis fired the gun that made Krystle's horse throw her, causing her miscarriage in Season 2. I am sure there was some dialogue that basically said you can thank Alexis for bonkers Krystle.

by Anonymousreply 413September 7, 2015 2:21 PM

Wasn't she thrown down the mansion stairs? That must have given a bump on the head.

by Anonymousreply 414September 7, 2015 2:40 PM

Plus there were all the Krystal vs. Alexis fights where the two threw each other around like rag dolls. Her brains probably got pretty scrambled.

by Anonymousreply 415September 7, 2015 2:43 PM

R412... what condition?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416September 7, 2015 2:54 PM

They totally wasted Diahann Carroll on that show - it's almost as if the Shapiro's didn't know what to do with her character. Originally, they were going to make Kirby her daughter (Dominique and the butler had a tryst or something like that), but they chickened out and brought in that dull Troy Beyer.

by Anonymousreply 417September 7, 2015 3:54 PM

I'm sure Joan didn't want another bitch on the show to compete with. Like Blake, they softened Dominique and she became very bland - no fault of DC who was game to be a rival bitch. They should never have made Dominique Blake's half-sister.

by Anonymousreply 418September 7, 2015 4:12 PM

Agree with R417 & R418. Dominique (whom I read was initially to be named "Jimmie Todd" and was to be a force with whom to be reckoned, with the Carringtons squarely in her bullseye) was yet *another* wasted opp on that show.

Re Troy: In her defense, it's easy to be dull when one is nearly invisible with no storyline. I swear, she had five lines throughout her entire run, and disappeared after providing testimony against Claudia after the La Mirage fire (conveniently done from her hospital bed where she was one of the few people injured at that event - a la the MM), and I don't recall even seeing her *at* the damn party!

by Anonymousreply 419September 7, 2015 4:39 PM

Didn't Troy have a fling with Prince?

by Anonymousreply 420September 7, 2015 5:28 PM

What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 7, 2015 5:49 PM

John James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422September 7, 2015 6:01 PM

R422 - He looks totally rapey in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 423September 7, 2015 6:06 PM

The one thing on Dynasty I never got over was Pamela Sue Martin leaving as Fallon. Samms was horribly miscast and Spelling should have stepped in and pulled a Bobby Ewing and brought Martin back and given Samms a plum role (one of Sable's daughters on the Colbys, for example).

It's odd, I think when producers are making bad decisions like replacing Amanda with an American actress and Fallon with a British one and accents be damned they've all made so much money they're just showing up to collect a check and crank the shit out.

Imagine having one of those jobs? You hit it big with a TV show for whatever reason, you become insanely rich and then you ride it out not giving a crap about continuity, the fans, etc. and then a few years later, the show's gone and you can retire to Palm Springs in a nice house with a pool and never have to worry about money again.

Nice.

by Anonymousreply 424September 7, 2015 6:15 PM

I think a lot of people imagine that. LA is full of them.... they are called waiters.

by Anonymousreply 425September 7, 2015 6:19 PM

The thing with Pamela Sue was that she never wanted to come back. They offered her ungodly amounts of money so it's not like they didn't know what they were losing. The funny thing with Emma, as bad as she was, she had chemistry with Alexis and would have made a great Amanda. There were so many actresses at the time who would have made a better Pamela Sue. It's really too bad that Forsythe couldn't stand Jane Badler because she would have been great. Just coming off of V. The one time he throws his weight around end we end up with Emma.

by Anonymousreply 426September 7, 2015 6:29 PM

[quote] Current day Corley would be perfect for the Jeff Conaway story.

Talk about a backhanded compliment!

by Anonymousreply 427September 7, 2015 6:31 PM

Troy Beyer DID date Prince....didn't know this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 7, 2015 6:47 PM

Terri Garber and Emma Samms should've swapped roles: based on her appearance in North and South, Garber would've made a great Fallon, while Samms had the right demeanor and accent to play Ben Carrington's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 429September 7, 2015 6:56 PM

Spellings nitwit daughter Tori suggested Emma for Fallon while watching her on GH. There was no was they were gonna get Pamela back considering how Fallon was written on The Colbys and up until the last year of Dynasty. Emma improved in Dynasty's last season but not enough to make you forget Pamela.

by Anonymousreply 430September 7, 2015 7:04 PM

Pamela Sue Martin was the Shannen Doherty of "Dynasty". The show was never the same after she left.

by Anonymousreply 431September 7, 2015 7:31 PM

Why didn't they just recast Brenda in "Beverly Hills 90210" instead of writing her character out?

by Anonymousreply 432September 7, 2015 7:32 PM

[quote]Why didn't they just recast Brenda in "Beverly Hills 90210" instead of writing her character out?

Perhaps Spelling learned something from all of the shitty recasts on DYNASTY that helped sink that show.

by Anonymousreply 433September 7, 2015 7:56 PM

Alexandra Spaulding was always going to appear on Guiding Light, there's no relation whatsoever to Dynasty bringing on Joan Collins. Beverlee McKinsey was a daytime superstar already from Another World and had a spin-off, Texas, tailored for her. Ironically Joan Collins ended up being one of McKinsey's replacements on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 434September 7, 2015 8:06 PM

Why did Forsythe not like Badler?

I've known people that have worked with her and say she is sweet. She also keeps in touch with her V castmates, well not Marc Singer...everyone on that show hated him.

by Anonymousreply 435September 7, 2015 8:57 PM

He just didn't like her for the part. I don't think it was personal . . . all I know is he nixed her. Here's what she looked like around the time. I think she would have kicked ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436September 7, 2015 9:09 PM

R435 I think Badler wasn't seriously considered for Fallon. Emma was the only one to my mind that Spelling wanted and the Shapiros liked her too. That was until they saw her in action and tried to get Pamela back. It mystifies me considering Dynasty was #1 at the time that Spelling would botch such a huge recast and cast Emma Samms. Guess he thought having John, Linda and Joan plus casting Heston and Stanwyck for the Colbys and the sheer escapism of both shows would be enough. It seems after Moldavia there is just this half ass attempt to do anything and think the audience would go along with it.

by Anonymousreply 437September 7, 2015 9:17 PM

[quote] It mystifies me considering Dynasty was #1 at the time that Spelling would botch such a huge recast and cast Emma Samms.

Chalk another one up to The Coleman Effect. The Steven recast was so successful, such a home run, so far and above the original, Spelling and the Shapiros no doubt felt invincible. With Jack aboard, the cast was happy (see below), business was good, they should have known lightning doesn't strike twice like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 7, 2015 10:10 PM

Bear in mind, Aaron Spelling wasn't exactly producing for HBO. He was about making hits that made money. Emma Samms was a popular soap star... they probably thought they could gain some viewers. The Shapiros were no more discerning, just even worse with their casts of Kathleen Bellers and Michael Brandons. Spelling at least appeared to be doing some math.

by Anonymousreply 439September 7, 2015 10:32 PM

I love how after Karen Cellini left Blake and Alexis went back to talking about their three kids.

by Anonymousreply 440September 7, 2015 10:36 PM

Was Amanda ever even mentioned again after Season 7?

And what was wrong with Kathleen Beller? I found Kirby to be quite a sympathetic character, until she started planning to kill Alexis.

by Anonymousreply 441September 7, 2015 11:21 PM

The character of Kirby could have been good. I just hated the actress.

by Anonymousreply 442September 7, 2015 11:24 PM

Sorry, couldn't stand it anymore.Had to use ignore.

by Anonymousreply 443September 7, 2015 11:24 PM

I liked the actress.

Has anybody ever seen the old TV movie Are You In The House Alone? starring Kathleen Beller, Blythe Danner and Dennis Quaid?

Kathleen Beller was good at playing rape victims.

by Anonymousreply 444September 7, 2015 11:27 PM

[quote] Kathleen Beller was good at playing rape victims.

Gloria Allred should be in touch soon, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 445September 7, 2015 11:33 PM

r444. I have to admit Beller was great in that movie. It's an effective little chiller-turned-afterschool-TV-special. I just didn't like her as Kirby. She was introduced as this delicate little flower and it was schmaltzy, and she was always whining. She was insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 446September 7, 2015 11:55 PM

The thing that double sucked was that Emma Samms, though a limited actress, was quite delightful as Holly Scorpio. She had a great chemistry with Tristan Rogers, and they had lots of fun storylines on General Hospital. They were funny, too. It harmed GH greatly when she left, and harmed Dynasty greatly when she came aboard.

Just as an aside, I heard that Samms was returning to General Hospital a couple of years ago. I tuned in. She was playing Holly, but the writers seemed to have zero idea of what the character had been in the '80s. They turned her into some kind of grifter. It was really really bad and quite lame.

by Anonymousreply 447September 8, 2015 12:01 AM

Kathleen Beller has a transgender for a child.

She's almost 60. She still looks good, you can see her in the background in the photo in this article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448September 8, 2015 12:10 AM

So, interestingly, there are two modern TV shows that closely parallel the first season of "Dynasty".

The first one is "Kingdom". The title alone is similar to "Dynasty".

The patriarch, Frank Grillo, is Blake Carrington. His girlfriend, Lisa, (Krystle) is the ex-girlfriend of Frank Grillo's former MMA champion Matt Lauria (Blake's employee Matthew Blaisdel), who has long been absent (Matt Lauria having been in jail, Matthew Blaisdel been away in the Middle East). Frank Grillo also has a younger son Nick Jonas (Steven), who is struggling with his sexuality, while the older child (Jonathan Tucker, Fallon) is wild, but there's not that much similarity between Jonathan Tucker and Pamela Sue Martin, other than how promiscuous they are. Then there's the ex-wife, Joanna Going (Alexis) who has been absent from the children's lives.

I guess Nick Jonas is the Al Corley of the 2010s, between playing the gay son on "Kingdom" and having a music career!

But then, Don Johnson and Chace Crawford are also starring in a new series called "Oil", which was the original title of "Dynasty". Don Johnson plays the wealthy oil tycoon, like Blake Carrington. He has a son and daughter. The son works on the oil rig, just like Steven, and he doesn't get along with his father. The daughter sleeps with the chauffeur, just like Fallon. Chance Crawford is trying to strike out on his own, just like Matthew Blaisdel, and he makes friends with the son. Chance Crawford's character is also married. Who wants to bet that the wife is going to have an affair with the son, just like Claudia did with Steven?

by Anonymousreply 449September 8, 2015 7:53 AM

R449 I would add Empire to that list. Mogul at the head, gay son he can't deal with, bitch ex-wife, wild child kid- tons of elements directly from Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 450September 8, 2015 8:15 AM

Comparing modern day shows with Dynasty? That like comparing apples with shoulderpads.

by Anonymousreply 451September 8, 2015 9:04 AM

Linda Evans never wore shoulder pads. You can see it if you look very carefully, and you can see it in every scene she did on Dynasty. She clearly had shoulder implants.

by Anonymousreply 452September 8, 2015 4:10 PM

Gordon Thomson is on this new web series called Winterthorne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453September 9, 2015 2:30 AM

Kathleen Beller was perhaps cast because she was able to hold her own in The Betsy opposite Sir Laurence Olivier, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, and Jane Alexander.

She also showed her big, bushy whore's cunt to Tommy Lee Jones who wasted no time in fucking it.

by Anonymousreply 454September 12, 2015 6:52 AM

I can only imagine that it must have been extremely frustrating to write for this show. Just imagining every bit of ambitious idea and story line getting dumbed down to a bitchfest dialogue or a catfight. Never a challenging or fresh story. Likewise for the production design. Great wardrobe pretending luxury, but no budget for exterior shots ever.

by Anonymousreply 455September 12, 2015 2:06 PM

Not mentioned so far: Blake's father - Tom Carrington - played by gay actor Harry Andrews. Totally agree with you R421, Grant Goodeve as Chris Deegan was a missed opportunity. He was a good actor too. I was excited when he was introduced on the show but that gay flatmate storyline went nowhere. I guess the TV executives weren't ready to stomach showing a gay relationship where (shock horror) genuine affection might actually be displayed. Apparently Spelling himself expressed some unease at the gay storylines ... anyone have any specifics?

by Anonymousreply 456September 12, 2015 2:59 PM

R455 A LOT Of The Dynasty writers came from daytime soaps including creators Richard and Esther Shapiro and the husband and wife team of the Pollacks.

by Anonymousreply 457September 12, 2015 6:21 PM

Kathleen Beller also had a bit part in The Godfather Part II in the theater scenes with Young Vito (Robert DeNiro).

by Anonymousreply 458September 13, 2015 1:44 AM

Linda Evans had the weirdest body - the upper body of a linebacker, and the lower body of a POW.

by Anonymousreply 459September 13, 2015 6:34 PM

For a while there, a lot of the nighttime soaps used rape, marital or otherwise, as a plot device. And when they made THE COLBYS, they guiltlessly lifted the Adam/Kirby rape storyline and applied it to the Fallon/Miles storyline. No originality at all.

by Anonymousreply 460September 13, 2015 6:38 PM

R459 is right. Linda Evans was Amazonian when she was younger. It worked in The Big Valley where she didn't have to be so glamourous. To me she always looked a little out of place with the glitz. I suppose that was part of the plot though. When she was young she was perfection in the looks department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461September 13, 2015 6:46 PM

She really was the shit in the Big Valley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462September 13, 2015 6:49 PM

A pretty good cover of "Square Rooms" by Mexico City rockers Finde

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463September 14, 2015 2:47 AM

John James did a movie with Anna Nicole Smith and they made a documentary about it. James is prominently featured in the doc.

by Anonymousreply 464October 8, 2015 11:40 PM

In the reruns recently, I found Dex Dexter to be pretty sexy. (Loved the chest hair.)

by Anonymousreply 465October 9, 2015 12:24 AM

Dex in Speedos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466October 9, 2015 12:28 AM

A man comfortable in his nakedness.

by Anonymousreply 467October 9, 2015 12:31 AM

I remember in Season 8 when it seemed like Fallon and Dex were going to get together. They ran into each other at the gym, and Dex was swimming in a speedo.

Isn't it funny how with just about every new character on the show, Dex has a history with them: Sammy Jo's father, Leslie Carrington, Krystle's cousin...

by Anonymousreply 468October 9, 2015 7:38 AM

Another vote here for Mike Nader -- so handsome, and that sexy voice!

He was a gorgeous perennial in the Frankie and Annette "Beach" flicks.

by Anonymousreply 469August 26, 2016 3:17 PM

Christopher Cazenove, who played Ben Carrington, was DILF-y.

by Anonymousreply 470August 26, 2016 8:45 PM

Barbara Stanwyk was a dike as was Elizabeth Arden. Lorenzo Llamas was bi too.

by Anonymousreply 471October 27, 2016 7:35 AM

He looks nothing like my man

by Anonymousreply 472January 27, 2017 9:13 AM

Bump in honor of Gordon Thomson

by Anonymousreply 473September 27, 2017 5:08 AM

Kriby's son was born female and then transitioned to a man and then married a man.

Okay, I get it.

Not really, but okay.

by Anonymousreply 474September 27, 2017 6:02 AM

Regarding the thread title: No one's mentioned one of the most handsome guys on the show -- Ray Abruzzo.

Never married, never connected with any actresses.

His social media presence is very sweet ... absolutely hates Trump and posts lots of pictures of his horses and dogs. Seems like a very nice man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475September 27, 2017 6:06 AM

r475 I don't know who he is, I didn't watch with all the Colby bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 476September 27, 2017 6:10 AM

[quote] What is Linda up to these days?

Oh, I'd say 225, 230

by Anonymousreply 477September 27, 2017 11:51 PM

Wow, R477, you're a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 478February 22, 2020 2:27 PM

Can I just bring this thread back to what's really important.

R32... that dreadful Walmart Venus de Milo in the background.. and backlit!

by Anonymousreply 479February 22, 2020 3:58 PM

Was that a thing in the 80s R479?

by Anonymousreply 480March 7, 2020 4:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!