Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Crawford

What becomes a legend most?

Crawford. Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2020 9:10 PM

I love post mortem photographs. Who was she?

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2015 9:42 AM

NOT ONE OF US WERE ONE OF HER FANS!!

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2015 9:52 AM

was

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2015 9:52 AM

Eat your Weirdo

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2015 10:07 AM

Oh Joan. Couldn't you have toned down the eyebrows? They're really distracting.

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2015 10:50 AM

Those Blackglama ads did massive retouching, and even made that braying mule Martha Mitchell look, well, glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2015 11:32 AM

For comparison...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2015 11:38 AM

The one truly beautiful photo for this campaign was of the other Mommie Dearest herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2015 11:46 AM

The first legend in the ad campaign was Bacall. They picked her up at the Dakota in a sedan and on the drive to the studio, she asked mockingly, "Is this any way to treat a legend?". After that, each succeeding legend was picked up in a limousine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2015 11:52 AM

Crawford skinned the little critters herself.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2015 12:03 PM

That's not actually a mink. It's what was left over after my dear Norma Shearer had her back deforested.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2015 12:22 PM

Judy Garland was so tanked she couldn't even stand upright--but they got the shot by letting her lounge in the coat on the floor.

For Joan, what became a legend most (she thought) were matchy-matchy homemade clothes and plastic coverings on as many items in one's life as possible.

Lucille Ball looks really embalmed in her Blackglama shoot, and you know it was heavily airbrushed.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2015 12:47 PM

For the legend in every gay man....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2015 3:02 PM

How about a SEMI-legend?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2015 3:42 PM

Dietrich's was one of the best. She oozed old school "glama."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2015 3:54 PM

God, the Natalie Wood picture is horrific! Did she sue? it's in the link (dunno how to post that pic in particualar)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2015 4:46 PM

The wighting on Maweena's wegs was to distract you from wegendary wong wivving and fawwing down dwunk.

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2015 8:32 PM

Stanwyck's ad is totally fierce!

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2015 9:29 PM

The Natalie Wood ad ran the month before she drowned.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2015 10:16 PM

[quote] The Natalie Wood ad ran the month before she drowned.

I still remember her last words....

"SPLASH"

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2015 10:22 PM

Alas, Gary did NOT talk Lucy out of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2015 10:25 PM

SMELL ME, lessors.

Breathe in the magnificence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2015 10:41 PM

Fieeeeerrce!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2015 11:26 PM

I think Lillian Hellman must've been the ugliest woman of the 20th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2015 11:36 PM

some backround...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2015 9:18 AM

Forget that, Marilyn has spoken an urgent message! This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2015 10:15 AM

Come on, spiritualists and lightworkers, help talk to Marilyn too! She also contacted you!

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2015 10:17 AM

Marilyn Monroe beats Tired Old Joany anyday. Crawford looks like a dead dog compared to the beauty that is Marilyn. Joanie did have a nice nose and chin job before films, and some cheekbone and jaw work done, but you just can't beat a natural like MM! And her fugly face shape and ginormous forehead can never be changed. And that old hag was a lousy dull insipid "actress", Marilyn could have done all her films and more in a heartbeat, without fail! Marilyn was not fond of that shitty bitch, let's respect and agree with MM's opinions of that idiot Joanie, huh?

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2015 10:25 AM

God Detreich was great. She exuded style and glamour effortlessly. She is what Madonna aspires to be, but can never come close to, even though she copies her a lot! BITCH

by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2015 11:05 AM

If you think about it, both Marilyn and joanie were very similar, both trashy whores who used sex to achieve a status they truly didn't deserve. Anyone agree?

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2015 11:11 AM

Rita Hayworth was the real deal. Gorgeous inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2015 11:15 AM

Let's remember that goddamn bastard Joan Crawford hated Marilyn terribly and even made some inappropriate disrespectful and hurtful remarks about her! Damn what a cold, cold, heartless bitch and bully! How can she hate Marilyn?! I feel so sorry for Marilyn and no love for that loser Joan! Goddamn cunt!

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2015 11:18 AM

Marilyn was even less interesting than the mad woman Crawford all these glamour girls are second tier stars compared to the real talents of Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Jean Arthur, Judy Holiday, Irene Dunne, Carole Lombard, Judy Garland and myrna Loy!!

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2015 11:35 AM

Joan sexually harassed and forced herself on Marilyn too! How cruel! Now I know why the evil queen from Disney's Snow White was inspired by her!

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2015 11:38 AM

She also harrased our beloved Rock. Can you imagine having that creep come on to you in the shower?? YUK!!

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2015 11:41 AM

Crawford was a beast of a woman. That face could make a train take a dirt road.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2015 11:42 AM

Joan really did a number on poor Marilyn. No wonder Monroe detested that damn witch. I don't blame her, Joan Crawford was demented and really evil.

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2015 11:48 AM

Monroe was a talent free image, and Crawford was a drunken old bitch! NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2015 12:11 PM

I think it was a great campaign but the slogan has always seemed ungrammatical and rather vague to me. What becomes a legend most? Doesn't really make sense.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2015 12:32 PM

Streisand was included at the tender age of 26.

Some of the "legends" went unrecognized by the public, having been out of the public eye for a while.

At the height of the ad campaign's popularity, Peter Rogers would mail you full size posters of any legends you requested at no expense.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2015 12:42 PM

Liz looked great (and she could act)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2015 1:33 PM

Vicki Frederick's shot is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2015 2:21 PM

r24 Looks more like Richard Boone.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2015 8:58 PM

R39, how does it not make sense?

become: to look attractive on someone; to be flattering to someone

What becomes a legend most? Blackglama.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2015 9:28 PM

[r18] During the shoot something went wrong and the photographer snapped Stanwyck at that moment. When they were choosing which photo to use, Peter Rogers asked her if she wanted to use one of the typical glamour ones or go with that one which he felt said STANWYCK. She chose that one saying she'd never seen that word spoken on the page before. Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2015 9:56 PM

Judy probably pawned her free mink.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2015 10:29 PM

Can the wiccans, spiritual ppl, and lightworkers just help Marilyn already!!! She just warned me again!

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2015 12:29 AM

This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2015 12:30 AM

Gloria Swanson was 82 when she did hers, and she still looks beautiful and striking. The gloves are fierce and they photographed her with her signature flower :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2015 2:55 PM

Who is this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2015 3:23 PM

The two gals alone would have been fine...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2015 3:26 PM

I thought R24 was Sir Ian McKellen.

by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2015 3:36 PM

R50, that's Tommy Tune.

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2015 4:23 PM

Wasn't this one the very first 'Legend' ad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2015 4:26 PM

No, Bacall was the first "legend" in the ad campaign.

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2015 4:34 PM

I guess the standard for legend has dropped if Janet Jackson did an ad.

Man, Garland does look stinking drunk in that photo.

I didn't see a photo of Stanwyck or Natalie Wood on that Blackgama page.

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2015 4:34 PM

"I didn't see a photo of Stanwyck or Natalie Wood on that Blackglama page."

Both fucked by Robert Wagner, in case anyone cares.

by Anonymousreply 57September 7, 2015 3:44 AM

I agree about Barbara Stanwyck's FIERCENESS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 7, 2015 3:57 AM

Lucy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 7, 2015 4:49 AM

Damn, did they retouch the hell out Lucy. If you saw a regular picture of her from that time, she was a walking advertisement about the dangers of drinking and smoking on the skin. In fact, when she did Life With Lucy in the 80s they used so much makeup and soft lighting on her she almost looked embalmed.

by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2015 4:52 AM

Lana Turner is almost unrecognizable in her shot.

They never got Kate Hepburn, did they?

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2015 5:00 AM

No, they never got Kate. I'm sure they contacted her, and she gave them an obscenity-laced tirade and slammed down the phone.

by Anonymousreply 62September 7, 2015 5:03 AM

Stanwyck looks like Bea Arthur as Maude. Why is she shouting?

by Anonymousreply 63September 7, 2015 5:49 AM

How badly do you think Bardot regretted her ad after becoming a born-again animal rights fanatic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 7, 2015 5:56 AM

Stanwyck's son must have walked in the studio when they took the shot.

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2015 6:22 AM

[quote]The Natalie Wood ad ran the month before she drowned.

Which is odd, because it looks like it was shot after she was drowned.

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2015 6:24 AM

Kate Hepburn never did commercials. Why should she?

She was the heiress to the Corning Glass fortune.

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2015 7:09 AM

[quote] For Joan, what became a legend most (she thought) were matchy-matchy homemade clothes and plastic coverings on as many items in one's life as possible.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 68September 7, 2015 8:09 AM

I believe she's mouthing the 4-letter vulgar term for excrement.

by Anonymousreply 69September 7, 2015 8:36 AM

Forget that, there's something else more important, regarding, Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share this message from her! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She has commanded me to share this message on what really happened for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

by Anonymousreply 70September 7, 2015 8:38 AM

[quote]Who is this?

Tommy Tune

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2015 9:06 AM

Lucy looks more like Charles Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 72September 7, 2015 12:28 PM

They used Joan Fontaine, but not sister Olivia.

It's not too late!

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2015 12:32 PM

That ad campaign should be revived for the beautiful Miss Cillian Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 74September 7, 2015 1:23 PM

There's an old fur store down the street from me that still has a couple Blackgama ads in their window. They even have the Joan Fontaine one. I'm so tempted to break in and steal them.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2015 2:14 PM

Did the ladies get the fur used in their ad? In that case, Ann Miller was robbed!

by Anonymousreply 76September 7, 2015 2:29 PM

R51...I had that one. I got it from the Blackglama dealer on Geary in SF back in the 70s. The story goes that Rudy hated how gay he looked and refused to allow it to be printed in the coffee table book that was eventually produced.

by Anonymousreply 77September 7, 2015 3:39 PM

Why don't you offer to buy them r75?

by Anonymousreply 78September 7, 2015 3:42 PM

R77, I hope the photographer responded, "But, my dear, I've captured your essence."

by Anonymousreply 79September 7, 2015 4:17 PM

r75 Do you live on So. Broad Street in Philadelphia? If so, did you notice who the celebrities are on the other 3 posters?

by Anonymousreply 80September 7, 2015 4:30 PM

Hi R80! Yes, I do live by Meglio's in South Philadelphia. That's the one I'm talking about. I can't remember the other posters, I only remember Joan Fontaine. I'll swing by tonight and take a couple of pictures in the windows.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2015 3:53 PM

It looks like COVID is finally gonna kill the fur industry. What would Joan say if she were here?

by Anonymousreply 82November 22, 2020 8:36 PM

I'm feeling down. Please post some Bette disses of Joan to cheer me up.

by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2020 9:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!