Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do celebs who don't live behind 10 feet high walls or in heavily guarded apartment buildings keep themselves safe?

Like Sarah Jessica Parker and other celebs who live in old townhouses in NYC? There could be a stalking maniac waiting for them just around the corner or hidden behind the stoop at any minute. Do they have security guards patroling the street on a regular basis or do they believe in the good of people?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 24, 2021 8:23 PM

Well first you have to become irrelevant like Sarah Jessica Parker.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2015 6:45 PM

What's also interesting about SJP's home is that it's located a stone's throw away from the house that was used as Carrie's home in Sex & The City. Well, more than one house exterior was used during the series but this one is the one that the Sex & the City tour bus stops at.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2015 6:53 PM

Well the doors to the complexes lock of course. Do you expect them to live in a complete bubble 24/7? Some of the biggest stars do almost always have a team with them, but for most of course they go out as a "normal person".

NYC is safer than most places. Tons of people walking the streets in New York, leads to greater anonymity and New Yorkers just tend to go about their business and not give a fuck.

It is in the hot spots of LA they are more likely to be mobbed. If they do get a bad stalker they get the police to intervene like anyone else would.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2015 6:54 PM

I've wondered this too. Celebs and wealthy people in general spend a fortune in Brazil on security, yet in other parts of the world you'll see celebs living amongst the hoi polloi with nary a concern.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2015 6:55 PM

[quote] living amongst hoi polloi.

There. I corrected that for you, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2015 7:25 PM

So hoi polloi doesn't require an article?

Is that a bona fide grammar troll?

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2015 7:28 PM

It's ho polloi wot requires articles...and $$$.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2015 7:52 PM

The "the" is already built into the expression "hoi polloi."

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2015 7:54 PM

They have security, I have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2015 8:08 PM

The really big stars have security. I once saw Brad and Angelina on a New York Street. They were just walking along casually but I did notice like 4 big guys surrounding them. They were kind of hidden but they were there ready to pounce if anything happened.

The difficult thing is people who are sort of famous. (I know two people like this. Thy are famous enough to be noticed or stalked BUT not famous enough to be able to afford security. They just have to be really conscious and do normal stuff other people do like alarm systems and rely on the police etc.

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2015 8:25 PM

Ask SEAN AVERY out in the Hamptons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2015 8:35 PM

From someone much smarter than R5:

[quote]Hoi polloi is Greek for “the common people,” but it is often misused to mean “the upper class” (does “hoi” make speakers think of “high” or “hoity-toity”?). Some urge that since “hoi” is the article “the hoi polloi” is redundant, but the general rule is that articles such as “the” and “a” in foreign language phrases cease to function as such in place names, brands, and catch phrases except for some of the most familiar ones in French and Spanish, where everyone recognizes “la”—for instance—as meaning “the.” “The El Nino” is redundant, but “the hoi polloi” is standard English.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2015 8:41 PM

As R3 said, a lot of celebrities like living in NYC because mostly, New Yorkers will leave them alone. Having 8 million other people around, the city allows celebrities some anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2015 8:52 PM

The shoot horses, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2015 9:42 PM

Jackie On assistance used to walk all over the damn place in NYC by herself. I saw her numerous times, including once sitting on a bench in Central Park having a smoke. If there was security with her, they were totally invisible.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2015 9:51 PM

Sorry...Onassis. ..damn auto correct!

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2015 9:53 PM

[quote] It is in the hot spots of LA they are more likely to be mobbed. If they do get a bad stalker they get the police to intervene like anyone else would.

LAPD has it's own dedicated stalker squad/division

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2015 10:00 PM

R15 & R16 wrote:

[quote]Jackie On assistance used to walk all over the damn place in NYC by herself.

[quote]Sorry...Onassis. ..damn auto correct!

BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAA!!!!111ononenone

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2015 10:01 PM

Jackie On assistance is hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2015 10:05 PM

I think I laughed so hard a year or so ago. It was either reading Slashdot or DL.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2015 10:09 PM

I think R15 just inadvertently created a new DL personality.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2015 10:14 PM

Maybe they want to live their lives instead of cowering in fear?

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2015 10:43 PM

LOL, r15 I almost dropped my laptop! As far as SJP, I thought she'd just gallop away form any stalker

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2015 10:45 PM

Celebrity or not, I always wonder about the safety of townhouses. They look so easily accessible.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2015 10:49 PM

I meant brownstones in NY, not the suburban townhouses.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2015 10:50 PM

Gwyneth moved from her West Village townhouse into a secure doorman loft building in Tribeca and cited the additional security as the reason.

Seems like actors like the Gyllenhaals just walk around by themselves.

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2015 12:11 AM

Maggie Gyllenhaal moved from Greenwich and Jane, across the street from Phillip Seymour Hoffman's building, to Park Slope to get away from the paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2015 12:16 AM

Taylor Swift recently bought two adjoining apartments in a building in lower Manhattan and her security team occupies the other apartment.

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2015 12:20 AM

r27 or maybe she wanted to be close to the lesbians.

On a serious note, she is stalked by paparazzi? Really?

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2015 1:32 AM

Swift has those crazy young fans that will go up to her. But she also feeds it by doing planned pap walks.

Julianne Moore walks around NY by herself all the time. I think if you go about your business and dress and act like a normal person, no one will bother you. Plus, New Yorkers don't seem to give a shit about chasing after celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2015 12:46 PM

Jackie On assistance is my new favorite thing.

Every time I go to NYC, I hope to see Julianne Moore walking around. I've seen dozens of celebrities in NYC and LA and have never had the inclination to speak to any of them---but I would try to speak to JM. She's pretty much my favorite celebrity.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2015 12:58 PM

Jonathan Rhys Meyers put his house up for sale last year. His house was listed so the address was out there, there were photos and he's just famous enough that the listing was mentioned in Variety, etc.

Then I guessed he changed his mind and continued to live there. Okay, he's not the most famous actor in the world, but all it takes is one nutcase. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable living in a place that had its address publicized and photos still readily available online.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2015 1:03 PM

I haven't had tears rolling down my face laughing about anything on the now sure DL in years. . .but when "Jackie On assistance" showed up, Shitty Little Ann took a backseat! Best Auto Correct ever!

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2015 1:10 PM

Celebrities who live anywhere but Tribeca or the West Village are usually left alone. You never see NYC paparazzi pics on the Upper West Side or Park Slope. All the the LA celebs moved to Tribeca and brought the paparazzi with them.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2015 1:22 PM

Come on people, it wasn't THAT funny.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2015 1:33 PM

Oh, r35, Jackie On assistance is the best thing to happen to DL since the new format began.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2015 1:41 PM

In the 1970s, I used to run every morning around Reservoir. Jackie O would often be jogging along with everyone else. She was always alone. Same with her sister... I'd often see her out and about. No one paid any mind.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2015 1:46 PM

I LOVE Jackie On Assistance!!!

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2015 2:04 PM

I worked in a very upscale hotel in Chicago and I asked a few celebrities this, why stay here when you can stay at the Four Seasons or Peninsula or Ritz? The answer was, this is a nice small hotel, who's ever gonna think a celebrity would be here?

And we had lots of them, including Miss Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2015 2:59 PM

Is it true that Jackie On assistance used to trade her food stamps for smokes at the local bodega R15?

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2015 3:04 PM

This thread is why I, a straight female, stick around. Only here could Jackie On Assistance spin up from next to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2015 5:22 AM

My neighbor is a celebrity. No security, and this isn't even a doorman building. She and her husband, also well known, do fine. As someone said earlier, it helps to be uptown instead of downtown. And she isn' t in her 20s or 30s. I know about five celebrities in this no-frills part of Manhattan who blend just fine. Makes me think it is possible if you want to live without attention.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2015 12:29 PM

R10 is correct. Think about the actors who are the obsessions of DL's stalker frau crew. While they probably don't get recognized a whole lot (most people don't know who they are) I'm guessing that real like stalkers are an omnipresent problem.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2015 12:42 PM

OP, you realize now, that if something ever happens to Sarah Jessica Parker, you are going to be the prime suspect.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2015 12:50 PM

R44, she has *clop*clop*clop* something like six lives left as long as she doesn't let Mat do the driving.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2015 1:01 PM

John Lennon, Rebecca Schaeffer, and Versace.

I think I might always be a little nervous.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2015 1:02 PM

SJP and hubby sold that 10th Street townhouse back in July. It had been on the market for awhile and they took a loss on it.

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2015 2:39 PM

Sure fans may go after SJP: but if they want to ride her, they'll still have to rope her first.

by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2015 2:47 PM

They never lived in that one, R47. They still live in their W Village brownstone but I'll refrain from mentioning the Street.

by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2015 2:47 PM

How am I just discovering this thread? I’ve lurked DL 10 years. I have never fucking laughed so hard in my life. OMG

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 3:05 AM

Thank you for bumping this r50. I missed the origin of Jackie On Assistance somehow and never thought I run across it--certainly wasn't expecting it when I opened the OP tonight!

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 3:18 AM

Excellent R1. This is why I come here.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 3:24 AM

Pro tip: have breath that could strip paint from a car body

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 3:26 AM

I assumed Jackie On Assistance was a YT celeb.

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 3:33 AM

I worked for an actor who had security. First, there are very few people out there who are looking to do physical harm to actors and the people who are crazy enough to want to do that usually announce themselves far in advance (letters/emails/phone calls). So the security can check into them, check into their criminal records, and get a sense if they are actually a threat. The only place that actors really need security is when they go to bars or clubs, because drunk men will try to get in fights with them. Either due to alpha bullshit or in order to sue them. So security keeps the riffraff away.

Studios pay for security during the filming of a movie because a film shoot announces where an actor is going to be for several months and the actor is staying in a hotel, so security would do stuff like check for cameras in the room before they return at night. In terms of their homes, celebrities often pick secure locations With walls/geographical boundaries. They have contracts with security companies and some additional precautions. The actors and their staffs are in contact with security (usually one lead bodyguard who has a full time job for that actor).

Young musical talent is probably the most in need of protection and a full bodyguard staff far more than a 30-50 yr old actor. Kids and teenagers mob musicians and a mob is chaos. So in reality, Ariana Grande is far more in need of full-time security staff then say, Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 3:46 AM

R44:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]They still live in their W Village brownstone but I'll refrain from mentioning the Street.

11th

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 3:56 AM

I cannot believe it's been four years since Jackie On assistance.

Time flies.

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2019 5:14 AM

She really does look like a foot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2019 5:33 AM

All but the highest paid actors/stars try to live like normal people. Many that I have known go out and do normal things like eat in restaurants and shop in stores without people bothering them. There is a HUGE difference with what an actor looks like when they are "camera ready" and when they are dressed down and don't want to be recognized. A baseball cap, dark glasses and lack of makeup allow a lot of people to eat in restaurants. If they want publicity, they dress the part, if they don't, most can get away without anyone really spotting them.

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2019 5:46 AM

Keanu Reeves does not use security regularly...I guess he has an alarm system for his house.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2019 6:19 AM

[quote]Celebs and wealthy people in general spend a fortune in Brazil on security

Uh, it’s Brazil, one of the most dangerous places on the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2019 6:28 AM

It's not usually a problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2019 8:17 AM

[quote]Having 8 million other people around, the city allows celebrities some anonymity.

Seriously, I've lived between a couple of celebrities once. One of them I'm friends with, the other is a pretty huge celeb and has been for years.

I have this theory that in NYC, besides most people not caring about celebs, you don't actually "see" them when they're in plain clothes unless they're very nearly right in front of you because everyone is so busy going from place to place it takes a bit for your brain to acknowledge them.

I've had friends run into Julianne Moore or Maggie Gyllenhaal and not know it until they were a couple of feet in front of them. I've been out with my friend and no one knows who she is unless they're right in front of her or we're stopped somewhere standing around. The other celeb, no one ever seems to bother.

Also, I always tell the story about some friends and I running into Nicholas Cage, talking with him and we didn't realize it until after because sometimes people look different when you see them in person. A few times I've spotted celebs and if I like them I might smile and nod. They see it, they do it back and we both keep on moving. That's enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2019 8:57 AM

Where's Fredo, I mean, Chris Cuomo live?

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2019 9:07 AM

How odd, why is Sarah Jessica Parker living in an apartment. Wouldn't she be more at home in a stable. I suppose she is Matthew Broderwicks 'companion animal'.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2019 9:12 AM

Cases like Rebecca Schaeffer are obviously very sad but statistically a celeb isn’t more likely to be attacked by a random stranger or stalker than regular person. Tons of ordinary people have stalkers, or are victim to random stranger attacks.

I work in the entertainment industry and the amount of stalking is shocking (basically all celebs, even very minor ones, have stalkers) but they are mainly cyber-stalkers, people who write constant letters, or fans who show up to every public event the celeb does. It’s worrying - my partner is being stalked by a fan right now who has tweeted horrible things about me - but they tend to be very transparent and so can be monitored. And although it’s annoying and scary it’s very rarely a physical threat. Real-life fan stalking is nearly always restricted to showing up at stage door or fan events, or maybe at worse hanging around outside the person’s home. Tom Hiddleston lives near my family and there are always random fan girls hanging around his local cafe.

And of course that is stalking but it’s still a far cry from physically attacking someone or breaking into their house. I don’t know any actors or celebs who are worried about a risk to their physical safety, they tend to be more concerned with cyber stalking.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2019 9:24 AM

Lucille Ball lived for eons in her mansion right on a corner lot at 1000 Roxbury in BH. Everyone knew where she lived. No guards, no 'security'/ and no it was not because it was a 'different era' Not even a fence around the property!

Perhaps because those who commit no evil have no reason to fear it.....and the converse is also true.......

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2019 9:30 AM

Idiotic r68. Plenty of people who are not evil have had evil done to them, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2019 10:43 AM

They don’t live on 11th.supposed to move there but I guess the renovations are still underway

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2019 10:52 AM

You couldn't just live in a suburban house, that doesn't have secured grounds.

But I suppose Marilyn did - you could have just walked up and watched her from a window, I suppose, if you were stalker inclined or curious.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2019 11:03 AM

Kurt Cobain trying to be in cognito.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2019 11:08 AM

I thought Jackie on Assistance was an off-off-broadway one-woman show?

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2019 11:12 AM

[quote] How odd, why is Sarah Jessica Parker living in an apartment.

She doesn't live in an apartment building. That whole 5 story building is her house.

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2019 12:14 PM

I think living in an doorman and concierge apartment would be physically safer than a townhouse, but less private. Your neighbors (in the same building) would have easier access to you and know who your guests are, where you order take out from, what size clothes you wear and who does your dry cleaning. That kind of thing. If you live in a townhouse your guests still know who they are and the delivery people still know your minor details, but none of them know all the minor details.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2019 12:25 PM

I worked at Robert Kree on Bleecker when Sarah lived around the corner. My client owned the brownstone abutting SJP’s from the back. Her lawyers crafted a “Panic Exit” agreement, hiring contractors to cut a tasteful door in the fence and she was given keys so she could pass directly through his garden, through a hallway and exit out his front door entrance one block over. They sealed it back up when she sold it.

I’m sure celebs or their handlers do this regularly.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2019 12:43 PM

You are stuck with a flock of their staff smokers if you live nearby. Celebrities change cars. Staff is always carted about in a Suburban or Escalade and in need of a smoke break.

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2019 1:00 PM

Most celebrities who walk around trailed by security are mental cases who have a much higher opinion of their importance than the rest of the public, or are paranoid for no reason at all. Unless you've had threats against you it is ridiculous to go to those lengths.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2019 1:15 PM

I found myself walking directly behind Chelsea Clinton pushing a baby carriage in NYC this summer. Very difficult to figure out who the secret service were with all those people.

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2019 2:12 PM

Celebrity body guards are security theater, secret service are real security. So makes sense they weren’t obvious.

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2019 2:46 PM

Jackie On Assistance is my new drag persona

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2019 4:38 PM

R80 I see Malia Obama on the streets of Cambridge when school is in session. I never see any obvious security.

I know damn well that doesn't mean she's not carefully protected, just that they're intentionally unobtrusive.

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2019 5:35 PM

That’s why Bradley and Brooke chose townhouses right across from the 6th Precinct on 10th St. Like having constant police presence at your door,

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2019 5:41 PM

I always thought Jackie on Assistance was some old British tv comedy about a feisty deprived pensioner or welfare mum.

I bet SJP's townhouse has a front door like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2019 5:51 PM

I've seen a lot of people I'd consider in need of security out and about in NYC. I'm not sure what's the calculation, but I think a lot of people don't want to live in a bubble and just take chances.

I've seen Rachel Maddow in restaurants and maybe her security is hidden, but she was just sitting with friends and a few people asked for and received selfies.

I saw Jonathan Groff leave a Hamilton performance walk down the street and be trailed by someone wanting to talk to him. He just kept walking and the guy tired.

Jimmy Fallon was sitting with a friend at a Broadway show, but I did notice he was gone the moment it ended, before bows.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2019 6:00 PM

I recently found out Wentworth Miller now lives in a very small village/town in Connecticut. Heard his house is very small (houses in that area are around $200k) and I doubt he has security. Not sure what he does there, but he doesn't seem to have a job there so maybe writing.

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2019 6:16 PM

He's from a very small village in England, so maybe he likes living in a small town.

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2019 6:25 PM

R87 he was born in England to American parents, but the family moved back to Brooklyn when he was around 1.

by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2019 6:46 PM

As several of you have mentioned, it's the lesser known celebrities with stalker fans who are likely in the most need of protection from fans.

Take DL as an example. There are so many threads about C-list actors on here where their crazy fans come to DL to exchange the results of their stalking expeditions.

When I first found DL a few years back, I remember stumbling on a thread, it was about Lee Pace, IIRC, where the stalker-fans had figured out that one of his (non-famous) friends had gotten married and they found the guy's FB or IG and went through it and found some wedding photos whose settings were left "public" and found Lee in the background of several of those photos and spend a few hundred posts speculating who he was talking to and what he was eating.

As I've also learned on DL, fan stalkers are more likely to target C-list actors, because you can be one of the top Ben Barnes fans, but there are millions of Brad Pitt fans.

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2019 7:08 PM

^^Coming back to me now that one or more of the fans had left comments on the friends IG, things that to their twisted minds seemed "nice" (e.g., "Lee looks so hot in those photos. Tell him Lucy from London says hi!!" and were incensed that the groom had deleted their comments and made the photos private. (Though having experienced those sorts of situations in the past, a few of the more enterprising ones had made screen caps of the pics and were taunting those less fortunate by not disclosing where they'd posted them.)

And other shit you could not make up, lol

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2019 7:13 PM

As a former resident of the Dakota in NYC, I can say, firsthand that that is why John Lennon and other celebs occupied that building originally.

Lots of people think of it as a celebrity enclave but in the past it was merely another in the long long of higher end apartment buildings in New York. The rents in the 1960's I heard from the older residents were never raised and the price per sqft were some of the cheapest in the city.

John Lennon was basically looking all over the city in 1973 to move from a loft in Tribeca and the Dakota presented itself in that it was a doorman building with only one entrance and exit (save for the not often opened "funeral gate" on W73rd). To gain entry, one must clear the outer gate and doorman, then enter through the small "security office" off to the right to enter the courtyard and access apartments. This coupled with the lack of hallways makes it hard to enter and find a particular resident.

Later, other celebrities began to realize the same and the celebrity enclave was born. However, in recently years since Lennon's homicide, the building has become MUCH more selective about those who attract attention and has turned down a number of celebrities for occupancy.

by Anonymousreply 91August 18, 2019 7:17 PM

When I saw Jimmy Fallon's name mentioned above I immediately thought "surely to God Jimmy Fallon doesn't need security. If I was him I'd dump my security so I could get someone, anyone, to pay a little attention to me". LOL But then I saw he was just dining with a friend.

by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]But then I saw he was just dining with a friend.

R92 meaning?

by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2019 7:22 PM

[Quote] As a former resident of the Dakota in NYC, I can say, firsthand that that is why John Lennon and other celebs occupied that building originally.

Well, I hope he was happy there, but it didn't really help him anyway to live in a guarded building, did it?

by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2019 7:23 PM

Anne Coulter lives in my building. We have a doorman and the usual security cameras, but that’s it. I see her walking down the street alone.

You’d think if there were anyone who’d be ducking nasty comments or villagers with pitchforks, it’d be HER.

I think New Yorkers don’t want to give celebrities the ego boost of recognizing them.

by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2019 7:27 PM

[quote] [R92] meaning?

Meaning that my initial split second assumption before reading further was that he was there with security, only to be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2019 7:28 PM

It doesn't matter how much security a celebrity has. If someone wants to kill someone badly enough they'll find a way to at least try. Just ask John F. Kennedy, & Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2019 7:30 PM

R2, the tour bus stops at 68 Perry Street, much to the annoyance of neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2019 7:30 PM

68 Perry has a chain across the steps with a note suggesting to slip a donation into the box for an animal rights organization if you take pictures in front of the house.

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2019 7:37 PM

R27 Philiip was separated from his wife when he died. She and the kids lived at Greenwich and Jane, he was on Bethune between Greenwich and Washington.

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2019 7:39 PM

R39 For decades Ethel Merman lived at the Hotel Lombardy on 56th near Lex.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2019 7:41 PM

R98 There is still a SATC bus tour 15 years after the show ended?

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote]John Lennon was basically looking all over the city in 1973 to move from a loft in Tribeca

Interesting, Tribeca must've been a ghost town in 1973. There was nothing going on in that neighborhood back then.

by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2019 7:50 PM

I think the jeopardy is much higher now than in decades past. One of the commonplaces of living in LA in the "old days" was turning around at the Mayfair market on Santa Monica and seeing, "oh, there's Lizbeth Scott buying vegetables." Or sitting at Musso & Frank's looking at the booth next to you seeing Buddy Epsen nursing a scotch. I used to live a block from Jane Fonda and Ton Hayden in Ocean Park in the 80s and you'd see here sitting on the front porch (a relatively humble house). Now, Jennifer Lawrence's dog walker needs to be careful.

by Anonymousreply 104August 18, 2019 7:51 PM

R26 for two years before moving to The Dakota, John and Yoko lived at 105 Bank Street in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 105August 18, 2019 7:51 PM

R47, where was this house on 10th? They may have owned it, but never lived there. Have been in the same brownstone for decades.

by Anonymousreply 106August 18, 2019 7:55 PM

R97 Reagan didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 107August 18, 2019 8:03 PM

R103 Right you are. The acronym TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal) didn't exist in the 70s. It was created by real estate folk to make the neighborhood sound important, which means higher commissions.

by Anonymousreply 108August 18, 2019 8:03 PM

I’d become paranoid if I had security people around me 24/7. I’d constantly worry that they were gossiping about or making fun of me behind my back.

by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2019 8:04 PM

read up on your history a little, r108

by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote]I have this theory that in NYC, besides most people not caring about celebs, you don't actually "see" them when they're in plain clothes unless they're very nearly right in front of you because everyone is so busy going from place to place it takes a bit for your brain to acknowledge them.

That's an interesting observation and in my personal experience it's quite true. The only times I've ever noticed a celebrity in NYC is when they're right next to me or in front of me, whether it's on the street or in a restaurant or other public place. I can't recall ever noticing a celeb from across a room or across the street.

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2019 8:13 PM

[quote][R97] Reagan didn't die.

Apparently you missed where I said "at least try".

by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2019 8:18 PM

My partner in s good at spotting celebs I am not he has spotted most of the celebrities that live in his neighborhood (Chelsea). Most wear sunglasses the ladies don’t wear makeup and wrap themselves in scarves.

by Anonymousreply 113August 18, 2019 8:18 PM

We live in a post-celebrity culture.

by Anonymousreply 114August 18, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote]My client owned the brownstone abutting SJP’s from the back. Her lawyers crafted a “Panic Exit” agreement, hiring contractors to cut a tasteful door in the fence and she was given keys so she could pass directly through

It really was very tasteful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 18, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote]My client owned the brownstone abutting SJP’s from the back. Her lawyers crafted a “Panic Exit” agreement, hiring contractors to cut a tasteful door in the fence and she was given keys so she could pass directly through

It really was very tasteful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 18, 2019 8:24 PM

I have lived on the UWS of Manhattan my whole life, and Woody Allen was the only celebrity I've ever seen in NYC where I immediately processed that "oh, there's Woody Allen walking down the street towards me."

He is very unique looking and we was dressed like Woody Allen-- baggy pants, baggy shirt, glasses, etc.

There are countless others who I've had the whole "that guy looks familiar...where do I know him from....too old to be one of my friends...someone I met from work...how do I know that guy... oh right, from TV, lol. I've seen him on TV...."

by Anonymousreply 117August 18, 2019 8:24 PM

R15 I'm someone who doesn't LOL easily, but I laffed til I cried at "Jackie On Assistance."

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2019 8:28 PM

I passed by both Matt Bomer and Tuc Watkins when they were in town doing The Boys in the Band. No one was making any kind of a fuss and they went by totally unnoticed. And yes, they're both stunningly hot in person. New Yorkers are too busy trying to get from point A to point B to stop and chat with anyone - even celebs. Now, at the stage door of a show, that's a totally different story. I only did it once to see what the fuss was all about and I found it sort of depressing. So many people desperate for their favorite stars to acknowledge them and you'd hear people say "this is my 5th time to stage door this week." WHAT? Do you have a life? I couldn't tell how many of these people were actually New Yorkers or tourists from flyover land wanting to make everyone back home jealous about their picture with that guy who was on Alias.

by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2019 8:38 PM

R119 What guy?

by Anonymousreply 120August 18, 2019 8:41 PM

This is a funny story: I was meeting some friends for dinner one night. As I'm walking over to the table where they are at, I see a guy who looks very familiar. He was around my age (mid-20s at the time), good looking, and dressed the way people I knew dressed. So, thinking he was a friend from college or something, I shout out "Hey buddy! How's it going!" and shake his hand.

Only as I got to "how's it going" I realized that I didn't know him in real life, I knew him because I'd seen him in a movie the night before.

His fame was new enough that he probably thought I was just an overly exuberant fan and was thrilled that anyone recognized him, and I just played like we knew each other somehow and exchanged a few lines of conversation before I extricated myself and joined my friends a few tables over.

by Anonymousreply 121August 18, 2019 8:42 PM

R121 Who was it? And what did your friends waiting at the table think/say afterward?

by Anonymousreply 122August 18, 2019 8:46 PM

They missed it-- noisy crowded NYC restaurant and I was still pretty far away from them.--they hadn't seen me come in

by Anonymousreply 123August 18, 2019 8:48 PM

Children of the president don't get lifetime secret service protection. After the president is out of office only children under 16 years old get protection.

by Anonymousreply 124August 18, 2019 8:54 PM

R124 I was wondering about that. It would be incredibly expensive to protect all these family members. Who actually gets life time secret service protection? Only the president and his wife?

by Anonymousreply 125August 18, 2019 9:01 PM

[quote]After the president is out of office only children under 16 years old get protection.

This is "generally" true but it's possible to ask for extensions for even adult college age children for unspecified periods even after a President leaves The White House. (However, no one knows what those periods are.) I'd also hope that for some of these children their parents can afford private security even after that.

[quotes]Who actually gets life time secret service protection? Only the president and his wife?

Correct. It should be added that protection is also provided, temporarily, for candidates that meet certain thresholds and for other parties while running for President & under certain special circumstances. Condoleeza Rice even had it for a period after she left the White House.

by Anonymousreply 126August 18, 2019 9:19 PM

NY is like London, such a big city where people are busy living their lives to bother a celebrity. The only one I saw with security was Prince Harry visiting an exhibition, and it was only one security officer. Samantha Cameron was just walking to her office alone when her husband was Prime Minister. All of them go shopping, walk along streets and go to restaurants without being bothered.

by Anonymousreply 127August 18, 2019 9:22 PM

Not celebrities, but I worked for a Saudi Prince and Princess, not just a regular ol' Prince/Princess but HRH in line to be king. They traveled the world as normal people. The only time they had problems with the paparazzi is when they were mistaken for some celebrity (they are both are model gorgeous.)

However, his mother a Dowager Princess of the highest order had the most insane security set up I've ever seen. At her compound in Beverly Hills - I kid you not, she has an actual Los Angeles Police Department substation at the gate of her estate. 24/7, there were at least 7 to 9 armed LAPD officers who were moonlighting as security detail for hire protecting her place. It was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 128August 18, 2019 9:35 PM

I'd still quite like to know how on earth that Ke$ha (sp?) woman managed to break into Paisley Park and roll across the lawn to knock on the bedroom window waving her demo aloft.

by Anonymousreply 129August 18, 2019 10:14 PM

I can only imagine what kind of protection Jabba The Trump is going to demand once he's vanquished from the White House.

by Anonymousreply 130August 18, 2019 10:22 PM

^He probably won't leave his tower or golf clubs very often since there are not many friends left after his presidency.

by Anonymousreply 131August 18, 2019 10:29 PM

Even I knew hoi polio meant common people...do people get confused about that? I guess the term is seldom used any more.

by Anonymousreply 132August 18, 2019 10:35 PM

Black stars need security because their fans won't leave them alone. It is a shame...I think I will talk to my black friends.

by Anonymousreply 133August 18, 2019 10:43 PM

garbo managed it for 50 years............seriously tho I think stalkers are probably more of a problem in LA than NY. You can go out in disguise and blend in with the crowds in NY, use rear entrances, etc etc............

by Anonymousreply 134August 19, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]I passed by both Matt Bomer and Tuc Watkins when they were in town doing The Boys in the Band. No one was making any kind of a fuss and they went by totally unnoticed.

Because 99% of the population have no idea who the fuck they are.

by Anonymousreply 135August 19, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote]garbo managed it for 50 years.

Greta Garbo?

by Anonymousreply 136August 19, 2019 12:51 AM

I agree - I never or rarely notice celebrities. In most cases, they are just really short and tiny. Ive seen Julianne Moore many times but each time I noticed her, it took a few minutes of walking directly at each other on a quiet street. Brooke Shields - because she is tall - stands out more.

by Anonymousreply 137August 19, 2019 1:00 AM

Although he's not a big star, Jason Beghe just bought a 6000sf condo in Chicago and you can see right into it from the street. Even with blinds, it's easy to see into his home because it is almost street level. Paid a lot for it, too.

by Anonymousreply 138August 19, 2019 1:34 AM

I was hot for Jason Beghe as the tough-cop-turned-whimpering-pussy in THELMA & LOUISE.

by Anonymousreply 139August 19, 2019 1:37 AM

Brooke Shields, Courtney Love lived on W. 10, the Horsey gal on Charles St

by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2019 2:14 AM

Don't worry about me, OP, if anyone gets too close I'll just kick them away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2019 2:29 AM

SJP was on Charles - behind the house that was used as her place in SATC. Then she moved to West 10th between 5th and 6th. Now she apparently bought 2 brownstones next to each other on west 11th near Bleecker - my guess is so Broderick can live next door and they can continue to raise kids together while living (more) separate lives.

I do find it odd that they like houses rather than apartments. I would think apartment would provide more security.

by Anonymousreply 142August 19, 2019 4:28 AM

Wealthy Co-ops and private neighborhood watch groups hire than own police officers to police their neighborhoods. Private security monitors a person or equipment that is moving around this is via a studio, industry contract were there is a risk or perceived threat.

A wealthy person can hire a private security firm to protect them. This is usually an upgrade on high end personal insurance and it is to limit the liability of the wealthy person and their insurance company.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2019 5:15 AM

SJP hasn’t moved from Charles.

by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2019 9:47 AM

A client of mine is a celebrity, and they have a house in upstate NY, and an flat across Central Park with a doorman, et al. A crazy fan always shows up at her house and gives them gifts in upstate, but doesn't bother her in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2019 10:15 AM

[quote] bet SJP's townhouse has a front door like this.

Here is her front door. They bought the townhouse next door and will make one mansion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2019 10:45 AM

I'm just shocked SJP and Broderick can even afford such magnificent properties. I've never considered either of them A list stars.

by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2019 10:50 AM

I get that the crazy fan probably thinks she'll run into the celebrity eventually, but still, if I was the gift-giving type, I'd send something through the mail so it wouldn't freak the celebrity out. It gets scanned, assistants probably see it first, it just seems safer and more considerate all around.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2019 10:58 AM

Sending or giving a celebrity a gift is so pathetic. A celebrity once replied after being asked about fan gifts that he thought some of them were very creepy (like fan books with pictures etc. or really personal letters) and he also felt sorry for them bc they're obviously very lonely people who have nothing else or no one else in their life.

I also doubt that they keep any gifts. I would never eat cookies or chocolates that a random person sent me.

by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2019 11:17 AM

R149 how come?

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2019 12:52 PM

Some people a more prone to getting star struck than others.

by Anonymousreply 151August 19, 2019 12:54 PM

[quote]I would never eat cookies or chocolates that a random person sent me.

What if it's not someone famous, but someone you know only peripherally whom you hear perform on a regular basis, and you like their music? One of them has a concert coming up and I thought of bringing good chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 152August 19, 2019 12:59 PM

There are youtube videos of random people knocking at Anderson Cooper's home. Sometimes a housekeeper opens the door. I'm scared for our dear femmy and fragile Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2019 1:56 PM

[Quote] Sending or giving a celebrity a gift is so pathetic. A celebrity once replied after being asked about fan gifts that he thought some of them were very creepy (like fan books with pictures etc. or really personal letters) and he also felt sorry for them bc they're obviously very lonely people who have nothing else or no one else in their life.

Well that type of shit happens all the time at conventions. Especially the fan books. I don't really get why some fans give them things that a celeb could easily buy themselves. Seems like a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2019 1:56 PM

[Quote] What if it's not someone famous, but someone you know only peripherally whom you hear perform on a regular basis, and you like their music? One of them has a concert coming up and I thought of bringing good chocolates.

I would not eat something that a stranger gave me and from what I've heard, most celebrities don't do this either. So I don't get why people waste time or money on these "gifts". If you actually personally know someone, I don't see the problem.

[Quote] Well that type of shit happens all the time at conventions. Especially the fan books. I don't really get why some fans give them things that a celeb could easily buy themselves. Seems like a waste of money.

On a message board for my favorite TV show, the women there (40s+) regularly created fan books with pictures and messages for their favorite star. They also recorded videos and made little movies for him. I thought this was super creepy and who actually wants to watch videos of middle aged women singing songs, reading texts and poems to their favorite TV actor?

They also found his sister's Instagram account, befriended her and also sent her creepy gifts. The admins finally deleted the forum. I felt sorry for the sister bc she had two little kids and the freaks even shared private photos. I bet they have a secret FB group now and continue their creepy fan books and stalking.

by Anonymousreply 155August 19, 2019 2:24 PM

r1 is one of the best r1s in DL history

by Anonymousreply 156August 19, 2019 2:26 PM

R155 what is your favorite TV show? And who is the actor in question?

by Anonymousreply 157August 19, 2019 2:30 PM

What kind of personality is a fan? I don’t get it. I’ve never fantasized about people I don’t know and am too prideful to be any kind of a groupie. DL astrologers, is it a certain sign more prone to this? Maybe those awful Scorpio’s !

by Anonymousreply 158August 19, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]Well that type of shit happens all the time at conventions. Especially the fan books. I don't really get why some fans give them things that a celeb could easily buy themselves. Seems like a waste of money.

I worked with a well known celebrity for about three months. Fans can be very creepy people.

by Anonymousreply 159August 19, 2019 2:33 PM

I only get star-struck when I see/meet a really gorgeous guy, famous or not. I get tongue-tied and act like an idiot. But just because someone is famous or on a TV show or movie? No.

by Anonymousreply 160August 19, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote] I'm scared for our dear femmy and fragile Anderson.

Don't worry: Benjamin Maisani still lives in the house and I know for a fact that he could knock you down with just a slap of his huge cock in your face.

by Anonymousreply 161August 19, 2019 2:42 PM

I'm in the West Village and within a four-block radius are Brooke Shields, Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman, and Edie Falco. Never once have I seen any of them with obvious security. And Paul Rudd's kids go to (or used to) a nearby school. Same deal.

by Anonymousreply 162August 19, 2019 2:44 PM

Unfortunately many celebrities (especially the ones who came from little to nothing & the younger ones) get the big head once they get some fame and fortune and consider themselves too good to interact with fans. It's all part of their ego trip. The old timers, those whose careers are either over or waning are more often than not very nice to the fans who approach them.

by Anonymousreply 163August 19, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote] I only did it once to see what the fuss was all about and I found it sort of depressing. So many people desperate for their favorite stars to acknowledge them and you'd hear people say "this is my 5th time to stage door this week." WHAT? Do you have a life? I couldn't tell how many of these people were actually New Yorkers or tourists from flyover land wanting to make everyone back home jealous about their picture with that guy who was on Alias.

When Darren Criss did How to Succeed there was ALWAYS a crowd of people there. At the time I was fucking this blatino across the street who had such a smooth hole, but anyway, I noticed that there were people waiting DURING the shows and talked to a few of them. A lot of them had purchased Playbills on ebay and traveled to NY and not seen the show. They were just there to try to meet Darren Criss. I found it very creepy and sad and also he definitely fits in the profile of someone who is both not famous enough to fund full time security but had some creepy ass stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 164August 19, 2019 2:57 PM

NYC and other large cities are safe because the people who live in the cities do worship these celebrities the way tourists do. For them these people are just neighbors who happen to be famous, not the other way around. Once you get over the fact your next door neighbor is on HBO there is very little to see.

by Anonymousreply 165August 19, 2019 3:00 PM

re: gifts

It's a way for Stalker Fans to prove to other fans that they know the celebrity better than anyone else by buying him something they think he would really want.

Problem is they are usually wrong.

So Johnny Cutetwink is being interviewed by a Buzzfeed reporter over lunch in an Italian restaurant and,the reporter mentions that when she asks him if the restaurant choice is okay, he says, yes, I love Italian food and I've been wanting to eat here, because his manager had impressed on him the value of being polite and charming.

Fiona Fanfrau reads that and sends Johnny books about Italian food for his birthday and for Xmas and uses phrases like "ciao!" when she sends him @ tweets he'll never read.

by Anonymousreply 166August 19, 2019 3:10 PM

^^^that is so pathetic. Some people were born without a dignity gene.

by Anonymousreply 167August 19, 2019 3:12 PM

[quote]I'm just shocked SJP and Broderick can even afford such magnificent properties. I've never considered either of them A list stars.

Why? Who says they paid cash for the homes? Most celebs don't. Kathy Griffith claims she did but that is rare. Broderick made a couple of million from "The Producers" on Broadway alone not including the movie. He has done big movies and well as his wife. True they didn't get $20 million paydays but neither get Equity or SAG minimum either. Parker has been working since she was a kid. She's done movies, stage and TV. She also gets paid in syndication as a producer of SITC. A million dollar down payment on a townhouse is not unreasonable and I'm sure as working actors they can get the mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 168August 19, 2019 3:16 PM

Was this the thread where Jackie On assistance was born?

by Anonymousreply 169August 19, 2019 3:19 PM

SJP and Matthew Broderick have been working since they were kids on stage, TV and film.

Sarah Jessica Parker also has done tons of fashion work which is very lucrative.

The idea that they wouldn't be able to afford a nice home in NYC is silly.

by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2019 3:27 PM

Still, isn't a brownstone in Manhattan 10-20 millions depending on the size? And they bought two of them.

by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2019 3:31 PM

Exactly. The type of property they own is akin to something Jeff Bezos would live in.

by Anonymousreply 172August 19, 2019 3:34 PM

I was working at Gibson's in chicago and the prince of jordan was coming in to eat. This was back in 04 or 05? I had never heard of this guy but security spent a whole day at the restaurant doing god knows what before they deemed it 'safe' for him to come in and eat.

by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2019 3:44 PM

R171 and R172 -- it depends when they bought the brownstones and the condition they were in when they bought them.

Ten years ago those buildings would have been much less money--NYC real estate circa 2019 is out of control

And don't discount the money Parker made from SATC and the various movies. She and Broderick work regularly too-- she's in some Showtime series (or was) called DIvorce and his career seems to be sailing along as well.

If they've made smart investments (and they seem like the type who would) then they may have a lot more than you realize.

by Anonymousreply 174August 19, 2019 3:51 PM

They don't always make good investments... After paying to gut renovate another townhouse in their neighborhood as a flip, they still couldn't sell it for more than they originally paid and lost several million.

"Celebrity super-couple and serial real estate hunters Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick did not do so well with their attempted flip at 20 East 10th Street, a 25-foot wide, 6,800-square-foot townhouse with seven fireplaces. They paid nearly $19 million for the place in 2011, renovated it, and tried to resell it for $25 million a year later (they never lived in it). But they found no takers, and the price was chopped to $22 million, then $19.95 million, before finally entering contract in March. Now the sale has hit public records, and when you factor in renovation costs, it's clear that the A-listers lost several million dollars on the house. It sold for "just" $18.25 million. Better luck next time!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 19, 2019 3:58 PM

^^^ I failed to mention that in her desperation to sell that house, SJP even filled the master closet with some of Carrie's famous outfits.

by Anonymousreply 176August 19, 2019 4:00 PM

Of course, SJP can afford it. Not only as producer (read:money maker) from SATC series and movies - but the huge endorsement deals. Thanks to the Carrie role, she was one of the most in-demand endorsers for fashion for years. She can pay cash for a $20 million house. Girl is a workhorse who could have kicked back and enjoyed her wealth long ago but is probably one of the hardest working celebrities out there. Growing up in extreme poverty will do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 177August 19, 2019 4:03 PM

That’s not a secure apartment for SJP. It’s a stall.

by Anonymousreply 178August 19, 2019 4:10 PM

I got ousted from Madonna's Manhattan SIDEWALK around two years ago. Me and a group of tourists were just standing there when out come about four bodyguard looking types who told us to move. We went across the street and ten minutes later her garage opened up and a big Cadillac Escalade SUV went roaring out. Couldn't tell if she was in it though.

by Anonymousreply 179August 19, 2019 4:12 PM

I don't really feel comfortable saying which celebrity this is, but an older celeb who was still popular in the 2000s talked about fan mail and gifts in interviews and basically encouraged it. He'd make sure he would be photographed with a fan gift every so often, like a handmade blanket or a book, but also would tell stories about how he would never throw anything away on a flight or in an airport because a fan would take it and it was freaky.

But then the fans posted a big secret of his on their little fan board and it got picked up by the tabloids and the celeb shut it all down. I found out because I was working with a memorabilia company at the time and one of this celebrity's awards was being sold on eBay, and we knew he wasn't selling it, but we could no longer contact his people to alert them. (Someone had taken a photo of the award while at one of his offices and posted it on eBay, pretending they owned it and were selling it.) We finally got his official webpage moderator to respond back and found out what had happened. That incident probably didn't help matters, either.

It was just interesting that this guy had been famous since the 1960s, and it was right around 2008 before he finally had to ice out the fans because they got too crazy and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 180August 19, 2019 4:18 PM

[quote] Still, isn't a brownstone in Manhattan 10-20 millions depending on the size? And they bought two of them.

I think you really don't understand how much people get paid.

Both of these people will have nice residual checks coming in for the rest of their lives. They have been major parts of films and tv shows that are still popular and will probably always be. The Lion King, Sex and the City, Ferris Bueller, these are all aired and watched ad nauseum.

by Anonymousreply 181August 19, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]Now the sale has hit public records, and when you factor in renovation costs, it's clear that the A-listers lost several million dollars on the house. It sold for "just" $18.25 million. Better luck next time!"

Tax deduction, they made money off it.

[quote]I got ousted from Madonna's Manhattan SIDEWALK around two years ago. Me and a group of tourists were just standing there when out come about four bodyguard looking types who told us to move. We went across the street and ten minutes later her garage opened up and a big Cadillac Escalade SUV went roaring out. Couldn't tell if she was in it though.

I used to walk past her W 64th ST apartment a couple of times a week and the paparazzi were permanently ensconced right across from her entrance. They were there even though she was in Argentina shooting "Evita" on the chance she made a surprise visit home.

by Anonymousreply 182August 19, 2019 4:31 PM

[quote] It was just interesting that this guy had been famous since the 1960s, and it was right around 2008 before he finally had to ice out the fans because they got too crazy and dangerous.

I've often wondered about old celebs and security. I've seen Angela Lansbury and Tyne Daly and Mary Beth Peil wandering alone around NYC and while I don't think anyone would do anything to harm them I do wonder how quickly they could get away from a weird fan.

by Anonymousreply 183August 19, 2019 4:40 PM

For the most part, the celebs live in good neighborhoods and police do patrols.

As for SJP and the townhouse she was trying to flip...If I remember correct from living downtown for many years, the sidewalk is narrow in front of the house. It's a nice street but that area has been ruined by NYU and other schools nearby. Too many college kids, skateboards, noise and all kinds of shit. I'm not sure I would want to pay 20 million to live around that. There are other townhouses in nicer neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 184August 19, 2019 4:48 PM

I would prefer a townhouse on the UES - much quieter and no shitbag NYU students everywhere. God, they're annoying.

by Anonymousreply 185August 19, 2019 4:51 PM

Yes r169 It’s r15

by Anonymousreply 186August 19, 2019 4:59 PM

R155 my favourite are the fans who make books dedicated to their ship. Filled with drawings of 2 actors doing God knows what. Of course if said actor finds it creepy, then they're a total asshole.

And I think it's weird when they follow siblings on social media. I've lost count of how many photos/videos have been posted from private accounts. But they just think it's totally normal to do that type of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 187August 19, 2019 6:02 PM

They scream!

they shout!

they let it all out!

by Anonymousreply 188August 19, 2019 6:03 PM

In the 90s, SJP bought her mother one of the historic houses on St. Luke's Place.

by Anonymousreply 189August 19, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote] And I think it's weird when they follow siblings on social media. I've lost count of how many photos/videos have been posted from private accounts. But they just think it's totally normal to do that type of stuff.

As I noted above, R187, that was one of the things that freaked me out the most when I first found DL--how these fans seemingly had zero boundaries in terms of friends and siblings of the Z-list celebrities they were stalking and how they'd come to Datalounge to post their findings.

Odder still was that many of them seemed to be middle aged women, in their 30s, 40s and even 50s, not the 14 year old girls I'd expected.

by Anonymousreply 190August 19, 2019 6:16 PM

R190 lots of middle aged gays are like that, too.

by Anonymousreply 191August 19, 2019 6:19 PM

R190 as well what about young women sending nudes or young guys sending dick pics even to married stars? Crazy comes in all sizes.

by Anonymousreply 192August 19, 2019 6:27 PM

Fans are complete weirdos, and very entitled.

Two years ago I very briefly was professionally associated with a C-list TV actor. To this day one of his fans cyber stalks me. I block her, she creates new accounts just to follow me. I have no idea why. I haven't spoken to the actor in years, have nothing to do with him. Not sure why she's willing to go to such effort just to monitor what I have for dinner.

My partner is also an actor and we're dealing with a stalker fan, though I'm not sure if she's delusional or just doing it to show off. Her entire life is spent hanging around outside celeb events (like awards shows and movie premieres) and accosting celebs for selfies, which she then posts on social media with a caption like, "OMG had the most incredible night of my life at the Emmys, still hungover from partying till 2am, thank you SO MUCH [celeb] for inviting me!!" Bitch you never stepped foot inside, and only spoke to that celeb for two minutes when you accosted him as he was leaving.

She's even gone through bins looking for discarded tickets (for things like Broadway opening nights), and picked discarded tickets off the sidewalk, so she could photograph them and put them Instagram and pretend she was there as an invited guest.

by Anonymousreply 193August 19, 2019 6:28 PM

Talking about a celeb's work is fine.

Talking about Gossip on a Gossip board is well, what people do here. I think it gets out of hand and creepy when it starts being less based in fact and more based on the delusions of a clearly sick person calling someone else "TIMMY" and making up entire scenarios that clearly never happened.

Figuring out where that person lives or is and constantly following them around is creepy. I don't even understand how people have money for that!

I'm with Rose O'Donnell when she said she would openly and willingly sign autographs for kids but not for adults.

Kids and even teens just want to show how much they love the person.

[quote]Sending or giving a celebrity a gift is so pathetic.

Lots of celebs don't mind this. Some are smart enough to say not to do it and to instead donate to their favorite charity instead of spending time and money doing this. I still remember Taylor Swift wearing a sweater a fan made her because she genuinely liked it. I think that happens occasionally.

I think sometimes people aren't creepy, they're just kind. The problem is you never know what kind of person you're getting.

[quote]I also doubt that they keep any gifts. I would never eat cookies or chocolates that a random person sent me.

Some do keep gifts if they're especially good.

The only time I've seen celebs accept this is if the food came directly from a place. As in, the "fan" paid for it and it was sent to the celeb that way. Otherwise, I'd never eat anything like that! People are crazy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 19, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote]The only time I've seen celebs accept this is if the food came directly from a place. As in, the "fan" paid for it and it was sent to the celeb that way. Otherwise, I'd never eat anything like that! People are crazy!

Why is that a better scenario?

by Anonymousreply 195August 19, 2019 6:44 PM

R195, because there's zero contact between the person and the food?!?

It's no different than a person asking a bartender to buy you a drink at a bar. The bartender prepares it and hands it to you.

You should never take a drink a stranger hands you and drink it.

by Anonymousreply 196August 19, 2019 6:48 PM

I had a wealthy neighbor in NYC that had been attacked in her townhouse. One person knocked on her door and she thought it was a delivery and opened the door. Two men rushed in and tied her up and put her in the utility room in the basement. She was stuck down there for half of the day. They robbed the entire house and knew she had a built in safe behind her bed. It had to have been someone who had worked on the house

Afterwards they had a major security system put in and also had a vestibule built in near the front door with very nice decorative wrought iron gate/wood door designs that were super reinforced with bullet proof glass and so the visitor could be buzzed in, but they couldn't get past the vestibule. They also had decorative wrought iron gates installed in the back of the house. It didn't look like security fence/gate. It was very, very expensive, but very attractive and tasteful. They also had panic rooms built in that house and their house in the Hamptons

by Anonymousreply 197August 19, 2019 7:21 PM

I think Taylor Swift is very nice to her fans, I once saw a report, think it was either 60min or on abc...she invites some of her fans to her apt for a listening party before the new album is released.

She has a lot of security though...

by Anonymousreply 198August 19, 2019 7:21 PM

r193 that is CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 199August 19, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote] My partner is also an actor and we're dealing with a stalker fan, though I'm not sure if she's delusional or just doing it to show off. Her entire life is spent hanging around outside celeb events (like awards shows and movie premieres) and accosting celebs for selfies, which she then posts on social media with a caption like, "OMG had the most incredible night of my life at the Emmys, still hungover from partying till 2am, thank you SO MUCH [celeb] for inviting me!!" Bitch you never stepped foot inside, and only spoke to that celeb for two minutes when you accosted him as he was leaving.

Do people out in cyber land actually buy that this person is hanging out with whatever actor they took a selfie with? I have friends that do the whole selfies with famous people thing but it's pretty obvious that they're not friends and that Bruce Willis is likely not besties with a thirty year old podiatrist from Paramus.

by Anonymousreply 200August 19, 2019 7:49 PM

Rihanna lived in London for the past year and appears not to have needed day to day security.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 19, 2019 7:52 PM

I think regular people are more stalked than celebrities to be quite honest. Who would want to take to the time and money to follow some of those delusional assholes?

by Anonymousreply 202August 19, 2019 8:00 PM

R193, this person sounds fascinating. They'd be a good subject for a movie or TV show. That's some seriously insane, delusional behavior.

by Anonymousreply 203August 19, 2019 8:29 PM

This is one of my favorite pics: Paul McCartney and his youngest daughter Beatrice at an LA grocery store. Years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 19, 2019 8:37 PM

They just need a handful of people to maybe believe them R200.

That's all they want.

by Anonymousreply 205August 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Beatrice McCartney turns 16 this year. I hope she stays away from modeling and acting.

by Anonymousreply 206August 20, 2019 1:04 AM

I became obsessed with and stalked a D list gay celebrity a long time ago. I sent gifts, traveled to appearances and events, tracked him and anyone connected to him online and wrote letters. I was a mess at the time. There was a lot going on in my life I wasn't addressing It was pathetic and so unlike me to do anything even remotely like this. Therapy, time and the right meds finally helped me stop.

by Anonymousreply 207August 20, 2019 2:59 AM

R207 well at least you finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 208August 20, 2019 5:20 AM

R146, the house in your video is on Charles Street, they didn't buy next door. Their purchase was side-by-side houses on the north side of 11th between West Fourth and Bleecker, both still under construction

by Anonymousreply 209August 20, 2019 8:00 PM

Forgive me.

by Anonymousreply 210August 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Don't worry R210, you're still going to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 211August 20, 2019 9:14 PM

Danielle Steel obviously thinks ridiculously overgrown hedges will keep her safe from prying eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 21, 2019 10:06 AM

Those hedges, most likely planted long before she owned the property, are there more to keep prying eyes out than to keep people out. I'm quite sure there are more secure barriers on the other side of those hedges the public can't see.

by Anonymousreply 213August 21, 2019 11:23 AM

R203 i'm thinking Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 214August 21, 2019 12:38 PM

[quote]The acronym TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal) didn't exist in the 70s.

Yes, it did. I remember hearing the name but not knowing where it was. My roommate worked there in 1975-76 in some kind of furniture factory. Knoll? He called it Tribeca. Also, I hung out with Danny Fields for a month or two in early 1978; he took me to parties there, and called the neighborhood by name. And shortly thereafter, I left New York, so I'm sure of the timeline.

by Anonymousreply 215August 21, 2019 2:21 PM

Danny Fields was cutting edge - lived in Far West Village loft before it was celeb central

by Anonymousreply 216August 21, 2019 3:29 PM

I lived on E. 10th then, r216. My memory is that he lived farther south than that. Does the Village extend from 14th Street to Houston all the way across the island?

by Anonymousreply 217August 21, 2019 3:36 PM

R217 - He was way over west 10th a block from the Hudson River. Still the Village. But also West 10th turns south west of 6th Ave - so would be south and west of East 10th.

by Anonymousreply 218August 21, 2019 4:01 PM

I guess that must have been it. I must have thought we were going south. Thanks, R218.

by Anonymousreply 219August 21, 2019 4:09 PM

R217, The Village is 14th to Houston, Hudson River to Lafayette Street/Fourth Avenue. Central Village: Sixth Avenue to Lafayette/Fourth Avenue. West Village: Hudson River to Sixth Avenue. Far West Village: Hudson River to Hudson Street.

The original West Village Eastern boundary was Seventh Avenue. Realtors have extended it to Sixth Avenue to increase rental and co-op/condo prices for bigger commissions.

by Anonymousreply 220August 21, 2019 5:39 PM

how much money does this SJP make?

by Anonymousreply 221August 21, 2019 8:26 PM

Well to be fair, in the pic at R204, people just thought that was a little girl out shopping with her grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 222August 21, 2019 8:38 PM

Jackie On Assistance = Gold. Proof auto correct is really a bitchy, judgemental gay man,

by Anonymousreply 223August 25, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote] I got ousted from Madonna's Manhattan SIDEWALK around two years ago. Me and a group of tourists were just standing there when out come about four bodyguard looking types who told us to move.

I'm sure they chose their words carefully, though. Legally you cannot be forced to move from a city sidewalk, which is the property of the city, not Madonna.

If you had stood your ground, they would have been forced to let you stay or risked a public complaint about their boss which could easily have made Page 6.

by Anonymousreply 224August 25, 2019 4:50 PM

Madonna is a disgusting has-been. Fuck her!

by Anonymousreply 225August 25, 2019 11:44 PM

Mark David Chapman also had Paul McCartney and Elizabeth Taylor in his sights but he settled on John Lennon because Lennon was the most "accessible" due to Lennon's desire to try and live a more normal, socialized life in New York. The place where celebrities feel so comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 226August 26, 2019 12:20 AM

What does "Jackie On Assistance" refer to? The fact that the late Ms. Kennedy got all of her money from her rich husbands?

by Anonymousreply 227August 26, 2019 12:21 AM

R227 the poster meant to write "Jackie Onassis" (the name she used for the rest of her life) but Autocorrect changed it to "Jackie On assistance." And, yes, it's funny because here on DL we've often referred to Jackie as a kept woman.

by Anonymousreply 228August 26, 2019 9:46 AM

Liv Tyler’s NY front door. Great comfy lived in house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 28, 2019 10:57 PM

r68 that was also before the internet era. even if a fan wanted to do harm, they wouldn't have been able to find out where she lived...and crazy people aren't great at putting pieces together.

by Anonymousreply 230November 26, 2019 2:31 AM

Manhattan along with much of Brooklyn (the other town or row house and mansion rich borough), is vastly safer than say 1950's through parts of 1980's when people were fleeing due to crime. Back in the day it was fairly common for all apartments on lower floors, facing back yard, or below grade to have those retractable gates on windows. Now unless one is in parts of the Bronx or whatever, no one bothers any longer.

Do break ins still happen? Yes, but by and large town/row house living is no more dangerous than multifamily. When things do happen it is because people don't follow common sense.

A townhouse in Chelsea was robbed because owner went out and left windows open. Fact this home was not far from Fulton Houses made that security lapse even more silly.

Everyone has cameras these days, which act both as a deterent and to help catch criminals after the fact. Large multifamily is only safe as either building lobby staff, or other security such as residents not letting people they don't know follow them into building, or opening door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231November 26, 2019 2:47 AM

Then you have situations like this, proving once again being in multifamily with a 24/7 attended lobby is no guarantee of safety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232November 26, 2019 2:48 AM

Case in point nearly everyone on that part of UES knows Madonna's compound. Something she herself contributed to by trying to commandeer street parking for her "security", but she's been in that mansion for almost a decade or whatever, and nothing has happened. You walk past there and there aren't hordes gaping, gawking or otherwise annoying the Material Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 26, 2019 2:53 AM

"You walk past there and there aren't hordes gaping, gawking or otherwise annoying the Material Girl."

Her elderly fans would get cold standing out there in November.

by Anonymousreply 234November 26, 2019 3:26 AM

She'd probably turn the hoses on them, that or let out the dogs.

*LOL*

by Anonymousreply 235November 26, 2019 3:31 AM

For this reason, West 10th Street block next to 6th Precinct in the West Village is hot for celeb townhouses - despite not necessarily being the prettiest block, it’s like 24/7 serious security.

by Anonymousreply 236November 26, 2019 5:45 AM

Seriously most just leave the alone.

No one really cares, they go to gyms, groceries etc and are barely noticed.

by Anonymousreply 237November 26, 2019 7:35 AM

Janeane Garofalo lives in the West Village in a regular apt. No guards.

by Anonymousreply 238November 26, 2019 7:49 AM

Greta Garbo sightings in NYC, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 239November 26, 2019 9:54 AM

For all that "I vant to be alone..."; Greta Garbo went out her Eastside apartment like any other New Yorker and was rarely bothered. Shopping, hairdressers, just for walks, to pay visits.....

Suppose however as years past few people actually knew who "Greta Garbo" was, or even cared.

by Anonymousreply 240November 26, 2019 11:18 AM

[quote] I became obsessed with and stalked a D list gay celebrity a long time ago.

Him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241November 26, 2019 1:02 PM

[Quote] She'd probably turn the hoses on them, that or let out the dogs. *LOL*

Of course she would have something in common with Mr Burns lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242November 26, 2019 1:21 PM

R226

Know someone who ran into Mr. Paul McCartney sitting on steps of a Yorkville church early one morning with Nancy Shevell (then still his gf, now wife).

At first she did a double take, but upon hearing his voice was sure. Just said "hello" to which the couple responded, then went about her business. IIRC Ms. Shevell lived on UES prior to marriage, so that might explain why they were walking about that nabe early morning.

by Anonymousreply 243November 27, 2019 8:52 AM

A friend lives in the little village by one of Paul McCartney's houses in England, and he says Paul hangs out in the local pub, and often plays in the pub's pickup band for hours at a time. No one makes a fuss.

by Anonymousreply 244November 27, 2019 2:45 PM

I heard Janeane Garofalo (with her boyfriend) lived in Fran Lebowitz's closet?

Fran teaches Janeane mannerisms and witticisms during the day and sets her off each night.

The protege to one day take over as the High Priestess of Old New York.

by Anonymousreply 245December 10, 2019 8:31 AM

That is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 246December 10, 2019 8:36 AM

Once you cross about 29th street say west of Lexington and start going south you can't fling a dead cat without running into a celeb. Things only increase as you get down to Gramercy Park, Chelsea, Union Square, etc.....

Whole Foods on Union Square is a great place to find them, as others have stated these people look entirely different when not done up for a film or whatever. You're standing in line or in an aisle when you meet someone and bulb doesn't go off at once, but after a moment or two...

Ran into late Robert Culp at UQ Whole Foods, that smile gave him away. It was like the father in Everybody Loves Raymond said "he still had all his teeth and then some..."

There are tons of maps giving addresses of celebs homes in NYC. Many are culled from property records for those who purchased homes under their own names rather than a LLC or something.

Jimmy Fallon and Jim Parsons have homes in Gramercy Park proper (that is apartments or whatever that get those coveted keys to the private park). Jonny Lee Miller and his wife/family live in East Village where apparently actor goes out and about without anyone batting an eye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 10, 2019 11:06 AM

For your girls that like interior decorator porn:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 10, 2019 11:13 AM

When Jackie Kennedy moved to NYC in late 1964, she lived on a pittance. When she married Onassis in 1968, she lost her Secret Service protection. Caroline and John retained the right to theirs until they were adults, but Onassis provided their security from his own security force, which was superior to the U.S. Secret Service. Caroline published a quote that Jackie loved the ability to basically blend in with New Yorkers, but during the Onassis era, his security force was there in the background.

Jackie had charge accounts, an allowance and early on occasionally received lavish gifts from Onassis, but all that ended after his son, Alexander, died in accident in 1973 because Onassis had myasthenia gravis and was losing his mind. He thought there was a "Kennedy curse" (hogwash) and believed Jackie cursed him and his family. After his death in 1975, Jackie fought for only about $25 million, which was peanuts as Onassis was a billionaire. His witch daughter Christina got almost everything, but she was a partier who drank up to a dozen Coca-Colas daily and didn't survive long. Her daughter, Athina, inherited everything and is a very wealthy lady. Jackie was never on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 249December 10, 2019 11:35 AM

R248

We went over this in another thread.

Widow Onassis and one of the Kennedy brothers started in on Christina Onassis in car before they'd even left the cemetery. Christina Onassis who already detested Jackie O with a red hot passion couldn't believe that her father's body wasn't even cold in his grave and her "wicked" step-mother was already starting on about money.

Onassis was in process of divorcing Jackie, and or was seriously considering beginning proceedings when he died. His will had made clear Jackie was to get very little if he died before divorce was complete. Christina Onassis turned around and shocked everyone by giving Jackie O that $25 million when she certainly didn't have to do so. At time words in effect were " it would be worth more never to have to see Jackie Kennedy again...".

Please don't pity Jackie Onassis; she got buckets of money from a marriage that didn't last very long, not to mention all the stuff she bought/was given during her brief marriage to Onassis. She lived very carefully on that settlement, with her fancy man (Maurice Tempelsman) handling investments Jackie O left an estate nearly twice size of divorce settlement.

by Anonymousreply 250December 10, 2019 12:03 PM

r79 Chelsea Clinton is no longer entitled to Secret Service protection - she is too old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251February 29, 2020 3:39 AM

I wonder if Jackie On Assistance was one of those clients who was legendary among st the welfare office employees.

by Anonymousreply 252June 30, 2020 5:56 AM

Condoms, Rose! CONDOMS CONDOMS CONDOMS!

by Anonymousreply 253June 30, 2020 6:19 AM

R106 From 2015

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 30, 2020 5:25 PM

Most celebrities when they’re not working can pretty much walk down the street like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 255May 24, 2021 6:27 PM

The West Village is one of the safest neighborhoods in NYC. Someone stalking a townhouse would likely be visible. But it’s also why the block/area where the West Village cop station Sixth Precinct is located is a big celeb area.

by Anonymousreply 256May 24, 2021 6:50 PM

R256 Janeane lives there.

by Anonymousreply 257May 24, 2021 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!