Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tall, masculine men aged around 35 years old perceived to be most dominant

Simple increases in a man's height and age automatically makes them appear more dominant, a new study suggests. Researchers used computer graphic manipulations to make subtle alterations to images of men's faces. Participants in the study were asked their opinions on the men, based on how tall, masculine and old they appeared to be.

The study, by scientists at the University of St Andrews, shows that simple increases in a man's height and age automatically makes them appear more dominant.

The research, published by the SAGE journal Perception, sheds light on why Hollywood directors might choose certain actors to play leading roles.

The study was carried out by Carlota Batres, Daniel Re, and Professor David Perrett of the Perception Lab at the University's School of Psychology & Neuroscience.

Carlota and her team used computer graphic manipulations to make subtle alterations to images of men's faces. Participants in the study were asked their opinions on the men, based on how tall, masculine and old they appeared to be.

When the researchers made 25 year old men look 8 cm taller, up to a decade older, or made their faces more masculine (by for example increasing the prominence of their eyebrows), the onlookers thought the men looked more dominant.

Maximum dominance was achieved by increasing perceived height and masculinity while maintaining a man's age at around 35 years.

Carlota Batres, who led the research, said, "Understanding what influences dominance perceptions is important since a dominant appearance in male faces is associated with a variety of social outcomes, ranging from high rank attainment of cadets in the military to high levels of sexual activity in teenage boys.

"Dominant people are also favored as leaders during times of intergroup conflict and are more successful leaders in the business world. Hence, understanding what it is that makes someone look dominant is important given its influence on a variety of social outcomes."

Professor David Perrett, Head of the Perception Lab at the University of St Andrews added, "Such perceptions may also follow reality: taller men being more formidable opponents and strength increasing with age until a man gets to his mid-thirties."

The researchers say the study also provides some insight into casting choices made by film directors, since male leading roles are often played by actors who fit the dominance description in the study. Channing Tatum (1.85 meters tall, 35 years old), for example, is often cast to play strong and dominant characters, from the interplanetary warrior Caine Wise in "Jupiter Ascending" to the experienced male dancer "Magic Mike."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2020 12:39 AM

no shit, sherlocks.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2015 11:40 AM

Hot!

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2015 11:47 AM

Let me summarise this brilliant ground breaking research.

Colton Haynes, 175cm 27yo, not dominant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2015 11:52 AM

Novak Đoković 188cm, getting more dominant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2015 11:56 AM

Irish ginger beast rugbyman Paul O’Connell, 198cm 35. DOMINANT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2015 12:11 PM

Shorter guys can be dominant too.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2016 12:15 PM

Sorry, this is clearly the feminine features troll taking reverse psychology for his obsession to new heights.

by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2016 12:29 PM

You know, however much this study cost, they could have given half the cash to me and I would have given them all that information and more within 6 hours. Typed and formatted, no less.

So could my 79-year-old mother. Or my cat (she'd be even cheaper).

by Anonymousreply 8March 7, 2016 2:14 PM

As I've said here before, many researchers don't seem to know what makes a face masculine. For one thing, eyebrow prominence is related to ethnicity. Women seem to have higher eyebrows. Since testosterone doesn't change eyebrow hair, it is unlikely men would have thicker ones. That is a cultural association. Many of these studies change facial features in a way that is cultural.

by Anonymousreply 9March 7, 2016 2:27 PM

It's not really rocket science. The age of 25-40 is the general age range of most people's fathers during their formative years, so it's logical to conclude that most will see men with similar age-related traits as the most dominant.

by Anonymousreply 10March 7, 2016 2:30 PM

I agree with R10. I think our parents have a lot of influence on our perceptions of these types of things.

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2016 2:36 PM

and yet so many of them are bottoms...

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2016 2:45 PM

I'm shocked, shocked by these findings! Men -- particularly the tall ones who tower over others -- who are still youthful enough to be physically strong and formidable but old enough to have gained wisdom, experience and social connections, are perceived as most dominant? We learn something new everyday.

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2016 3:10 PM

"Let me summarise this brilliant ground breaking research: Colton Haynes, 175cm 27yo, not dominant."

Well, as we all know, Miss Haynes is the exception to a LOT of rules...

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2016 3:17 PM

I love the tall and the small

by Anonymousreply 15March 8, 2016 2:11 PM

A tall, masculine man aged around 35 sounds pretty fucking perfect to me. I like a man old enough to know what he wants and how to get it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2020 12:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!