Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Imogen Poots? What kind of name is that?

As far as I know, "Poot" or "pooting" means....well, exactly what it sounds like.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 3:48 PM

Fuck you OP

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2015 1:54 AM

Unfortunate last name. Funnily enough, her middle name is Gay. Imogen Gay Poots.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2016 4:01 AM

I have always seen pooting to mean farting.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2016 4:12 AM

There are worse names, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2016 4:49 AM

When exactly did actors stop changing their names to something more user-friendly? The 60s? The 70s?

It's easy to laugh at the excesses of Old Hollywood, but the studio bosses were right about a few things. Actors are personalities, writ large on giant screens. And they are brands. Audiences long to identify with a brand, follow the brand. They simply cannot do so with an unpleasant, undistinguished, or off-putting name.

Mia Wasikowska, I'm looking at you. You have talent, presence, and an unconventional beauty. If you had a simpler name, you'd be giving Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2016 5:28 AM

It's hideous!

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2016 7:07 AM

Is she from the Netherlands? Poots sounds like a Dutch name.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2016 7:12 AM

What's not to like???

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2016 7:26 AM

R5, I think the name changing slowed down in the sixties and seventies as it became unfashionable to look down on ethnic names, and stopped dead when Arnold Schwarzenegger hit the big time.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2016 7:34 AM

Poots does sound like a Dutch name. She's gorgeous, so she can get away with the name. If she were ugly, it would be a different deal.

And I think r9 is right - many of the names that got changed in the past were deemed too ethnic. Trying to erase your ethnicity is looked down upon now, although there are certainly actors still doing it. Personally, I like that everything hasn't been managed and manicured into oblivion, and somebody with a name like Poots - however unfortunate - can still make it.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2016 7:48 AM

Gorgeous? I think not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2016 7:52 AM

What should she change it to, R5, Wendy Windbreaker?

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2016 8:44 AM

How 'bout Fanny Frrrraaapp?

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2016 8:53 AM

R11 I bet she's laughing cause she just ripped one. She has to live up to the name.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2016 3:47 PM

why do people laugh when i say my name.....Bigus Dickus

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2018 11:38 PM

funny name

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 2:55 PM

she was good in that zombie movie

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 2:59 PM

I actually wonder how much the name is affecting her. Imogen Gay Poots. GAY POOTS.

She's a pretty decent actress (compared to her peers), and can pull off a lot of different accents, looks and character types. For example she's two entirely different people in Peter Bogdanovich's "She's Kind of Funny That Way" and the Jeff Buckley biopic she was in.

I think she was set for a real career breakthrough when Todd Field was going to adapt the award-winning novel Beautiful Ruins, with her attached in the central role. A few years have passed now and it's since gone through several prestige directors (Sam Mendes was the most recent one). I'm not even sure if she's still attached to it. But it's a good part for her.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 3:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote] It's easy to laugh at the excesses of Old Hollywood, but the studio bosses were right about a few things. Actors are personalities, writ large on giant screens. And they are brands. Audiences long to identify with a brand, follow the brand. They simply cannot do so with an unpleasant, undistinguished, or off-putting name.

Hmm.

Well, there are two things you have to remember. First of all, the studios wanted to give stars first names which were more modern and up-to-date the year they became stars, which is why Frances Gumm became Judy. It's not that Judy was necessarily a better name than Frances; it's just it sounded more modern in the 30s. It would be as if a male star renamed himself from "James" to "Jaden" today.

Next of all, they were always trying to get rid of "ethnic" last names in favor of WASPy last names, which is why Allen "Woody" Kaminsky became Woody Allen, and Doris Kappelhoff became Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2019 3:47 PM

[quote] Audiences long to identify with a brand, follow the brand. They simply cannot do so with an unpleasant, undistinguished, or off-putting name.

Two words: Arnold Schwarzenegger

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 3:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!