Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Zach Quinto says he is at a level no gay actor has ever been before

[quote]“So, I do not disagree with you; I do feel like I occupy – not in any self-aggrandizing way – a space where I have looked to my peers and looked around me and said, “Well, who else can I look to?” And there isn’t anybody else. That to me is significant and personally gratifying as I consider my own journey to self-acceptance, but again, I just think, “Don’t let it slow me down.” And I don’t. I don’t create an issue where there isn’t one, and I think the more that we’re all able to do that then the more diversity will present itself.”

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277June 7, 2020 12:46 AM

I totally agree!

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2015 1:19 PM

I wholeheartedly agree!

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2015 1:21 PM

Urban Dictionary self-absorbed: A person who cannot stop thinking about themselves, and constantly reminds all others around them of their good and bad qualities.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2015 1:23 PM

Matt Bomer, Neil Patrick Harris for two.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2015 1:24 PM

Matt Bomer? He had a procedural on USA network and bit parts in a couple male stripper movies...

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2015 1:27 PM

Gay doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc., are also at a level Zach Quinto has never been... or will be.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2015 1:28 PM

I knew I had forgotten somebody to add to the "Faces Begging to Be Slapped, 2015" thread!

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2015 1:28 PM

Too tired to read the link. The OP - have you mangled the gesture? There have been many gay actors who were superstars. Rock Hudson, for example. Is Quinto talking about being an OUT actor? He's not the most successful gay actor by far.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2015 1:31 PM

[quote]Is Quinto talking about being an OUT actor?

Yes, of course they are talking about out actors. Who cares if someone is secretly gay, if they aren't out it doesn't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2015 1:33 PM

[quote] Matt Bomer? He had a procedural on USA network and bit parts in a couple male stripper movies...

And Zach Quinto has, what, a few appearances on one of the gayest shows on television and a film franchise that's successful for its name value and which anyone could have been plugged into and it would have been a success. If you and Quinto would pull your heads out of his ass and get some much needed air, you'd see the most popular thing he's ever done is Jonathan Groff.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2015 1:34 PM

The full relevant quote.

[quote]With the exception of yourself, there are not any big-name out gay actors getting lead roles in action movies. Not Matt Bomer, not Andrew Rannells, not Neil Patrick Harris. Why do you think there aren't any major LGBT actors besides you getting top billing in major Hollywood action films? I mean, why can't we have a gay James Bond?

[quote]I mean, we can, right?I'd like to think so.

[quote]Sure. I definitely think that we can. Matt Bomer is one of my favorite friends. I've known him for 15 years - longer. I know Andrew. These are friends of mine. The fact that so many of my friends who are openly gay have flourishing, thriving careers is really exciting. That in and of itself is progress if you consider that 15 years ago, when I started acting professionally out of college, you couldn't even count on both of your hands the number of openly gay actors in any form, television or film. It was a totally different issue 15 years ago, and that's not a very long amount of time to have made such progress.

[quote]So, I do not disagree with you; I do feel like I occupy - not in any self-aggrandizing way - a space where I have looked to my peers and looked around me and said, "Well, who else can I look to?" And there isn't anybody else. That to me is significant and personally gratifying as I consider my own journey to self-acceptance, but again, I just think, "Don't let it slow me down." And I don't. I don't create an issue where there isn't one, and I think the more that we're all able to do that then the more diversity will present itself.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2015 1:36 PM

He's not incorrect. Luke Evans and Lee Pace are arguably his only peers as far as out gay actors who can be cast in central roles in studio tentpoles, but neither are as out as Quinto - Pace is not "out out" yet, and Evans is ... 70% out or something. (Sort of like how Mao was 70% right.)

R8 = moron.

Matt Bomer has no career outside Ryan Murphy, who casts him in gay or gayish roles, and the Magic Mike movies, which are an embarrassment. And Neil Patrick Harris appears to be abandoning acting for variety hosting and Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2015 1:40 PM

So we're not counting Ian McKellan whose been in all the Lord of the Rings movies, plus the X-Men films? I'd say he's at the top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2015 1:46 PM

Yeah Ian McKellen is the only example I can think of that really invalidates his statement. He has starred in this big Hollywood movies as straight characters.

But I guess because he is so much older Zach Quinto wouldn't look at him as a peer career wise.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2015 1:50 PM

Ian McKellan is locked into "wise old owl roles" where sexuality isn't a big issue for his characters; it's a different ballpark than what Quinto and younger actors are offered.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2015 1:53 PM

I wouldn't say that Magneto is a "wise old owl role", but I personally think he was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2015 1:55 PM

Quinto is playing a emotionless, sexless alien. If he was playing the lead heartthrob in one of those movies, then I'd say he had gone where gay man had never gone before.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2015 2:02 PM

[quote]He's not incorrect. Luke Evans and Lee Pace are arguably his only peers as far as out gay actors who can be cast in central roles in studio tentpoles, but neither are as out as Quinto - Pace is not "out out" yet, and Evans is ... 70% out or something. (Sort of like how Mao was 70% right.)

He's incorrect about his daydreaming to be the first gay James Bond. If Lee Pace is "out out" Pace will still be way more likable among both men and women, gay and straight, than this stuck up, emotionless face loudmouth.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2015 2:16 PM

[quote] you'd see the most popular thing he's ever done is Jonathan Groff

What am I? Chopped Liver

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2015 2:28 PM

OP is a sneaky bastard. Taken out of context, it sounds like some bullshit from Jason Patrick or Ed Norton or the Mulrooney guy from AHS.

ANYWAY, the quote would explain his numerous backfat-revealing twee fashion choices. The child needs a mentor and there's nobody to guide him.

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2015 2:37 PM

I'm the Greatest Star!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2015 2:46 PM

So does Quinto think he could get a movie financing based on his name being attached to it? Because I guarantee you he could not.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2015 3:22 PM

I'd actually say he IS the best of the youngish out actors. Whether "Heroes", "Star Trek", even in the terrible "The Slap" he always gives a good performance.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2015 3:26 PM

Do our names mean nothing to him ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2015 3:30 PM

Quinto does realize that when he was cast in Star Trek, he was not out of the closet, and that since he's come out, he's really done very little and, other than Star Trek, he has the career of a middling C-lister. Of course they weren't going to replace him as Spock because he's gay, and everyone put on a big happy face about it at Paramount, but one wonders if he'd have gotten the role in the first place if he'd been out before they begun casting. He needs to sit the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2015 3:49 PM

Vin Diesel needs to come out so Zach can have someone to look to.

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2015 3:55 PM

I need to sit down? Sit down? But, but, but. Truvada! Issues!

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2015 3:56 PM

R24 it must be nice living in the parallel universe you live in, where Cary Grant lived his life as an openly gay man.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2015 4:02 PM

Agreed, R20, this was the question Quinti was responding to:

[quote][bold]With the exception of yourself, there are not any big-name out gay actors getting lead roles in action movies. Not Matt Bomer, not Andrew Rannells, not Neil Patrick Harris. Why do you think there aren't any major LGBT actors besides you getting top billing in major Hollywood action films? I mean, why can't we have a gay James Bond?[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2015 4:06 PM

*Quinto

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2015 4:07 PM

Insufferable douche.

Anyone who sits around thinking about that kind of stuff is not introspective or deep. They're delusional and self-absorbed.

And seriouly, I'm a star trek fan, and even I don't think he's that big a deal.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2015 4:11 PM

I'm sorry, what action films has Quinto gotten top billing in? Star Trek is a Sci-Fi franchise he got before he was out.

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2015 4:13 PM

And, R32, he was the only actor homely enough to play Spock. It's not as if they could cast someone else.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2015 4:16 PM

He us a bit if a pretentious ass, but I still understand the hate for him on here.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2015 4:35 PM

He's the villain in the just released Hitman 47 film but his role is apparently quite limited and badly written.

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2015 4:41 PM

Bitch Please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2015 4:49 PM

R29 The answer to that question is because directors won't cast them. They're too add aid of alienating people when they can go with a safe choice.

You know it's bad when openly gay directors like Roland Emmerich won't even cast a single openly gay actor or actress to play characters in film about Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2015 5:01 PM

The answer is OVERSEAS MARKETS. End of.

by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2015 5:04 PM

[quote]Anyone who sits around thinking about that kind of stuff is not introspective or deep. They're delusional and self-absorbed.

What? How could he NOT think of this? Everything Zach Quinto said was the honest truth, if you are an out actor trying to navigate a mainstream career there aren't other actors to look to. No one has done this before.

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2015 5:12 PM

Yeah, he should have had Luke Evans to look up to, because Evans was out and proud when he was younger. But he went back in the closet and ruined it. He's 100% out again now, just not openly proud and defiant.

Quinto has a willingness to discuss gay issues in Hollywood and in general, and he deserves our respect for that. Fuck Evans, who, if he hadn't had a major interview stopping him, would probably be fully closeted and using beards like his buddy Henry Cavill. In fact, he actually did have a sort of beard, but again, the Advocate interview prevented him going forward with the "relationship."

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2015 5:16 PM

Yeah overseas markets and overseas financing (CHINA CHINA CHINA) are the problem. Homosexuality is still illegal in roughly 75 countries, including several states in the Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia, and most of the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2015 5:17 PM

He's right. He's the only out actor who plays straight macho roles on a regular basis-- "The Slap" was awful, be he played a macho guido-ish alpha-- that's the sort of role a Bomer or Harris couldn't pull off.

The other reason I'm a big Quinto fan is that he's a great role model for all the non-effeminate gaylings, the ones likely to hide in the closet because that seems like a lot better choice than having to spend their time with a bunch of showtunes'n'Prada loving sissies. Seeing guys like Quinto lets them know that just because the media focuses on that subset of gay culture, there are plenty of guys who are more like them.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2015 5:17 PM

R42 Quinto, WTF are you talking about?!

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2015 5:21 PM

I think Bomer and NPH could pull off The Slap role and others similar, the problem is that they might not be getting the same chances. Bomer's biggest role was a straight man and NPH's now biggest role wasn't only one of a straight man, but a womanizer. He was also in Gone Girl in a straight role.

by Anonymousreply 44August 25, 2015 5:24 PM

R44 thanks for educating that dumbass ass-licker. Bomer and NPH could both pull off that The Slap character easily. It's not like it was difficult profound character ffs

by Anonymousreply 45August 25, 2015 5:50 PM

I honestly pretty skeptical on whether they could have either. Sure, Matt Bomer and NPH have played straight characters, but the personalities of Barney and Neal were much more about being funny/charming.

I do agree with R23 that I think Quinto is a more talented actor than his peers.

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2015 5:53 PM

NPH as an angry alpha guido? No.

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2015 5:58 PM

Quinto was excellent in Angels in America and Glass Menagerie onstage. Doubt if Bomer or NPH could have topped him, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2015 6:01 PM

R47 They could have changed the character to an angry, alpha white trash type.

by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2015 6:01 PM

Still not seeing it R47 - it wasn't the ethnicity, it's just that NPH plays likeable charmers, not angry alphas

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2015 6:03 PM

I would think NPH's name would be more likely to get a film greenlit or get you financing than Quinto's. He will always have Spock, until that franchise dies. But he is getting big roles like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2015 6:09 PM

[quote] But he is getting big roles like that anymore.

Anymore? He's never gotten them.

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2015 6:10 PM

I thought he was pretty good in AHS: asylum.

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2015 6:13 PM

I like Bomer and Harris very much but there is NO way in hell they could have played the part Quinto played in "The Slap". NO f---ing way. ANd I thought Quinto was excellent. The posters who make the point about him being closeted when he got Spock, Spock being unattractive (that's the point) AND Star Trek being a tentpole franchise, are all right. It remains to be seen what Quinto continues to be able to do.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2015 6:16 PM

Quinto, you've tried to closet yourself to get into hollywood, don't get too cocky about being out.

by Anonymousreply 55August 25, 2015 6:20 PM

Can you name 2 movies with Quinto being a leading man?

by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2015 6:30 PM

Is James Franco still in the closet? He gets more roles and acclaim than Quinto.

[quote] Why do you think there aren't any major LGBT actors besides you getting top billing in major Hollywood action films? I mean, why can't we have a gay James Bond?

Ummm, what about Vin Diesel and The Rock and Bradley Cooper and Hugh Jackman and Tom Cruise, and oh, wait, you mean out of the closet LGBT actors? This journo should be shot then set on fire pretending closeted for financial reasons = straight.

by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2015 6:31 PM

I like him even more now and will support everything he does.

by Anonymousreply 58August 25, 2015 6:36 PM

I think Tom Cruise would be closeted even if he wasn't famous and lived a regular life as an accountant or something. More ISSUES than a newsstand with that one.

by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2015 6:37 PM

James Franco just likes playing head games with everyone, he'll never confirm anything. He's bi from everything I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2015 6:37 PM

i'd like to occupy that arse hole of his

by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2015 6:38 PM

James Franco is straight and into underage girls. He pretends to be gay to get people's attention away from that.

by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2015 6:43 PM

Carnegie Mellon water has ego douche, no doubt. All of these mediocre actors think so high of themselves. Joe Mango is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2015 6:43 PM

Both Luke Evans and Lee Pace have had more msinstream success than Quinto, so I'm not sure what universe he's living in.

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2015 6:51 PM

R64 You should say more successful than Quinto even when he was in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2015 6:54 PM

As we said before, Lee Pace is not out-out and Luke Evans is out but not vocal like Quinto.

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2015 6:54 PM

Quinto is just bitter he wasn't a hearthrob when he was closeted.

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2015 6:56 PM

So, on the one hand, Quinto complains that there is no one else out there -- for him -- to turn to as a role model, and on the other hand, goes around and makes absurd claims about the gay community and our apparent lack of ability to know where and when to use a condom... When can we expect another ridiculous proclamation coming from a privileged white guy?

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2015 6:57 PM

R67 - Huh? He had lots of fangirls when he was playing Sylar on Heroes, including that batshit woman who kept claiming she was secretly married to him.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2015 6:58 PM

I can't stand him. Can't stand his uber gayface and his attitude. Just want to smack the smirk right off of him.

by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2015 6:59 PM

R69 He wants to be a major hearthrob, the top of them all, not a minor one.

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2015 7:02 PM

R71 - Oh I see.

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2015 7:03 PM

Why is he happy that he look around and sees no one else? You'd think he'd want to see more gay actors leading action films.

He also neglects to point out he really wasn't out when he got the part in Star Trek.

I think it's actually the gay directors and producers that are letting down gay actors. They go out of their way to cast straight actors even for gay roles. But as long as no one calls them out for this they'll continue to do the same.

I guess everyone has seen this Variety article on why there are so few out A list actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2015 7:03 PM

I just wish he didn't come across as such an insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2015 7:05 PM

It actually wouldn't hurt Quinto sex up his image a bit. The hairy/swarthy thing is very hot.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2015 7:06 PM

He'll never be as big as Caitlyn Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2015 7:06 PM

From the headline, I thought he was talking about sheer hairiness.

by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2015 7:06 PM

Lee Pace even has bigger eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2015 7:10 PM

I wonder if Quinto's brother is gay as well. He's a big photographer in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2015 7:19 PM

Common problem with some out guys is they are overcompensating on the fact that they are gay and out, by behaving/talking mighty of themselves etc. So I guess super highly ambitious Quinto wasn't ready to come out, but saw the gay teen suicide issue as an opportunity make a name for himself.

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2015 7:19 PM

R68 Except everything he said is true. Be a whore all you want, but you have to accept that if you don't use condoms you are going to get STIs and HIV. Some diseases you can get even with condoms. Sorry but it's reality even if it's inconvenient to admit it.

I get it, gay people didn't like Larry Kramer asking them to be more responsible either. The same way black people call Don Lemon and Obama and every successful responsible black man an Uncle Tom, no matter how liberal they are.

Ignore him and reality if you want, just don't expect anyone to feel bad for you when you get AIDS and meningitis and antibiotic resistant strains of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis and no untainted person ever wants to sleep with you or be in a relationship with you ever again.

by Anonymousreply 81August 25, 2015 7:28 PM

He is right. Funny, I was just thinking of him yesterday and how he is the only out gay actor who consistently plays straight roles with no commentary. I don't think he will be a major actor-- I see him being a character actor. He won't be a heart-throb, but that is not because he is gay-- it because he has unconventional looks.

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Which is why we needed one of those rugged handsome types to come out, as an already established leading man. Luke Evans won't discuss his sexuality, but he's out, and he's all we got.

by Anonymousreply 83August 25, 2015 7:39 PM

Quinto needs to tone down the queeny.

R83 You want that, not sure about other out actors, because Evans will sweep all the roles from them for being rugged when some studios are okay with out actors, Luke Evans springs to their minds.

by Anonymousreply 84August 25, 2015 7:46 PM

I never hear of this Luke Evans creature anywhere except DL. He must need a new publicist because he doesn't get placed in much media.

by Anonymousreply 85August 25, 2015 7:49 PM

It is sad that Matt Bomer's career didn't take off the way everyone expected. He is stuck with Ryan Murphy. Even some of his fans are kissing the hands of Ryan for employing him again as it was clear he wasn't getting any other offer.

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2015 7:49 PM

I would rather watch Quinto playing a hot sexy role, gay or straight, than Bomer. Homer freaks me out. Quinto can be photographed to be both sexy and socially normal. Every 3 shot of Bomer, he looks like a freak. Beautiful, freak, beautiful, freak.

Maybe when there is a big Hollywood movie that includes a gay character, some director will hire Quinto and we'll see if he can bring the heat, or not.

by Anonymousreply 87August 25, 2015 7:53 PM

Why do you think Matt Bomer looks freak? Does he behave like one as well?

by Anonymousreply 88August 25, 2015 7:55 PM

He did put his baby in the closet. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 89August 25, 2015 7:57 PM

Quite surprising that those DL "thinking people" expected more out of Bomer. He's the corniest, cheesiest example of hot guys with normal talent.

by Anonymousreply 90August 25, 2015 8:01 PM

His aspie behaviour is controlled in performances, R89. (Are you P/M/B/R Troll and thus an aspie as well?)

Bomer's eyes are not always controlled in performances. Let's face it, he gives off not sexual heat.

Quinto could perform a guy who could fuck you blind, against a wall, or in a broom closet, or on a hospital gurney, or in a sling, or taxi, or some exciting outdoor spot, etc.

by Anonymousreply 91August 25, 2015 8:02 PM

Do you realize that the most successful gay actors are actually long time friends Quinto/Bomer/Pace/Parsons?

by Anonymousreply 92August 25, 2015 8:02 PM

I like Lee Pace. I have never seen Parsons in a film.

by Anonymousreply 93August 25, 2015 8:05 PM

Likely Bomer had a fall out with Quinto because he chose to marry Halls. Quinto was probably in love with him since their CMU days. That's my impression.

Parsons is not very close with any of them.

by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2015 8:07 PM

Lee Pace isn't out, so fuck him. I don't know what he's waiting for, a rom-com leading man role? He has absolutely no excuse. It was cowardly and shameful.

R94 Quinto said he's close with Bomer, so what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 95August 25, 2015 8:08 PM

Parsons is close to Lee Pace. He, Lee and Matt are high school buddies.

by Anonymousreply 96August 25, 2015 8:11 PM

Lee Pace and Luke Evans, you wouldn't even know who they are if you don't care about the Hobbit movies. Their Q scores are only high on DL, just like Matt Bomer. They are not successful romantic leading men. I don't see either of them in the same league as Quinto.

Even if you aren't a fan of Quinto, most people would recognize him from Star Trek or Heroes or Margin Call or Girls.

Maybe that will change for Luke Evans after Beauty and the Beast, but Quinto is much closer to a household name than Lee or Luke.

by Anonymousreply 97August 25, 2015 8:14 PM

R95 Are they going to publicly discuss unrequited love with names and faces attached? Likely not. But I follow Quinto's news, he said somewhere he went through such heartbreak once and complained about his married friends with kids are no fun.

by Anonymousreply 98August 25, 2015 8:14 PM

Parsons, Pace and Bomer are all from Spring Texas but Parsons did not go to Klein High School. I do not think he knows the latter two socially.

Bomer was friends with Pace in high school and Quinto in college.

Quinto used Bomer's husband as a publicist but fired him some years ago. Lee Pace also used Simon Halls but fired him as well.

by Anonymousreply 99August 25, 2015 8:18 PM

r97 Evans was the lead in Dracula Untold that made 200 million worldwide so don't be silly

by Anonymousreply 100August 25, 2015 8:19 PM

R99 correct

by Anonymousreply 101August 25, 2015 8:19 PM

I don't know anyone who saw Dracula Untold, whatever the fuck that is. And I'm in my 30s, not an old fart.

by Anonymousreply 102August 25, 2015 8:20 PM

I think hosiery is something which is very magical in my world

and I'm veering off into complete poetry now.

by Anonymousreply 103August 25, 2015 8:21 PM

I'm not being silly, R100. I didn't see that and it wasn't critically acclaimed. I'm in my 30s, too.

by Anonymousreply 104August 25, 2015 8:21 PM

I haven't watched Dracula Untold either. Never heard of it in fact. And I'm a movie junkie.

by Anonymousreply 105August 25, 2015 8:22 PM

Quinto is most well-known to the general public, and Bomer somewhat because of Magic Mike and White Collar. I don't think the average person would recognize Luke Evans or Lee Pace if they were sitting next to them on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 106August 25, 2015 8:23 PM

Off topic, but Parsons and Pace are friends.

by Anonymousreply 107August 25, 2015 8:23 PM

I would especially appreciate Pace if I knew he had sizemeat. I want him most of the 4 to have sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 108August 25, 2015 8:24 PM

NPH is the most well known to the general public. But that hasn't translated to big acting roles for him.

by Anonymousreply 109August 25, 2015 8:24 PM

I just looked up this Dracula Untold crap. It has 22% on Rotten Tomatoes.

[quote] Neither awful enough to suck nor sharp enough to bite, Dracula Untold misses the point of its iconic character's deathless appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 25, 2015 8:25 PM

R106 I can agree on this. But Bomer became household name to millions of middle aged women who read 50 Shades of Grey. They watched Magic Mike and White Collar after they found him through 50 Shades hype.

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2015 8:26 PM

No one said it was a good movie, r110. It made money though. Quinto's last movie bombed at the box office

by Anonymousreply 112August 25, 2015 8:27 PM

R97 Lee Pace has like gazillions of twitter, fb pages, tumblr blogs dedicated to his role in The Hobbit, Pushing Daisies and even The Fall so sit down.

by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2015 8:28 PM

[quote] Lee Pace has like gazillions of twitter

What? I just checked and Pace has 200k followers. Quinto has 1.1 million.

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2015 8:31 PM

R114 What year did Quinto joined, fool? I said twitter pages dedicated to his role and even to his self, not his twitter.

by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2015 8:33 PM

I will not sit down, R113! How dare you tell me to sit down! btw I'm already sitting down.

Like a lot of people, I have heard of the Hobbit and the book it was based on but can't stand those movies, especially the fact that they stretched one book into three movies to squeeze as much money from those nerds as possible.

I have heard of Pushing Daisies but did not watch it. I don't even know what The Fall is. I would have to look that up.

Just because someone is your favorite actor or you stalk everything they do, that doesn't mean they are relevant to the general public.

by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2015 8:34 PM

Whoever keeps pushing this Dracula Untold crap, the budget was $70 million and it's opening weekend in the US was $23 million.

The Avengers made a billion worldwide. $200 million worldwide is honestly not a huge success when it didn't even make its budget back in the US. I doubt there will be sequels.

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2015 8:37 PM

R116 Yet you think You and your gay idol are any different.

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2015 8:39 PM

[quote]Quinto used Bomer's husband as a publicist but fired him some years ago

Does anybody know why he fired that dirty old fuck?

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2015 8:42 PM

Luke Evans was the villain in Fast & Furious 6 (global BO 788 million) and he was a central character in the latter two Hobbit moves (global BO 955 and 960 million, respectively).

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2015 8:42 PM

Who is my gay idol? I am not a Quinto fangurl I just know who he is the way most people do.

Lee Evans and Luke Pace I would not know if not for people obsessing about them on DL.

Same with Matt Bomer until Normal Heart I hadn't seen him in anything except that Ryan Murphy show that got cancelled after about 6 episodes. Maybe Luke will take off after Beauty and the Beast. I don't have anything against him, I hope he does become successful, I'm just stating reality is all.

by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2015 8:43 PM

r119 Because he's a lousy publicist?

by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2015 8:43 PM

Lee Pace is not aging quickly into a new man face. Not unsuccessfully. But he looks quite different than he did for 10 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2015 8:44 PM

Luke Evans won't actually say he is gay right? I mean I know he did back in the day but now I thought he will only say shit like "I prefer to keep my private life private" and such.

by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2015 8:44 PM

For pity's sake, Quinto was specifically asked about action movies. Someone here was kind enough to give us the whole question and answer. Don't you people know how to read?

That said, the good point has been made that Quinto was not "out" when he was cast at Spock. And also, just as importantly, Spock is far from your typical action movie hero.

by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2015 8:44 PM

R120, Just like the Star Trek movies are not successful because of Quinto, none of those films were successful because of Luke Evans. Good for him for landing the role but you can't come into the 6th film in a franchise and take credit.

by Anonymousreply 126August 25, 2015 8:45 PM

R119 if you are an actor who actually WANTS publicity, then Simon Halls is a terrible publicist. The only people who use him are very private celebrities like Frances McDormand and Matthew Broderick, and directors/producers, who only have rudimentary publicity needs and may only need PR every two or three years.

by Anonymousreply 127August 25, 2015 8:47 PM

Actually, all of you need to shut up because the most successful openly gay actor is Jim Parsons.

by Anonymousreply 128August 25, 2015 8:47 PM

R123 There's a full video of it on Youtube. He looks fine than in that still.

by Anonymousreply 129August 25, 2015 8:47 PM

R127 Except Frances MacDormand and Matthew Broderick aren't Matty's competitions.

by Anonymousreply 130August 25, 2015 8:50 PM

If you are talking about television actors, then yes, R128. He's been on Broadway and The Normal Heart, but not a leading man film star and never will be. He can play gay and nerd roles, that's it. Maybe a psycho genius ocd serial killer villain as he ages.

Jim Parsons is successful in the way Joey from Friends or George from Seinfeld is. Not even Jennifer Aniston or Julia Louise Dreyfuss.

by Anonymousreply 131August 25, 2015 8:51 PM

R124 He's gotten a little better. There was a fairly recent interview with him actually discussing his sexuality. Still not as frank as the Advocate interview, however.

R128 And good luck to him getting roles when his shit show is over.

by Anonymousreply 132August 25, 2015 8:55 PM

The only gay actors who are successful A-List movie stars are the ones who remain closeted. Leo, Cruise, Keanu, Bradley etc.

I would love to see one day where everybody is outed, just all of them. Stop all this closeted/bearding nonsense and just get it the fuck over with and move on. It's just sad and disheartening that in the year 2015 this shit is still going on, like it's the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 133August 25, 2015 8:56 PM

R133 Still there will always be people enough to form a country the size of USA who think man on man is abnormal and just wrong and disgusting, and unfortunately not in a million years you can change these people's minds even with all the public figures coming out. Live with what you have, gay marriage in 50 states.

by Anonymousreply 134August 25, 2015 9:03 PM

NPH was super masculine in his cameos in the silly "Harold and Kumar" films. He played a much more convincing straight bro than he did with Barney.

by Anonymousreply 135August 25, 2015 9:06 PM

R135 Yeah he played a perverted having a hard on those two asian guys and cums at the car's back seat thinking of them.

by Anonymousreply 136August 25, 2015 9:08 PM

R117 Dracula Untold more than tripled its budget worldwide, which makes it a profitable movie. It's US opening weekend is not that important, since the majority of its money came from overseas.

That being said, neither Evans or Quinto is A list.

by Anonymousreply 137August 25, 2015 9:11 PM

THIS is A list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 25, 2015 9:22 PM

Jesus, which twin has the toupee?

by Anonymousreply 139August 25, 2015 9:23 PM

We get it R137. You liked Dracula.

But in reality 70 times three equals 210, so no, not more than tripled it's budget. If you said almost tripled more people would take you seriously but you come off like you are either lying or exaggerating or don't know what you are talking about. In the US it made somewhere in the 50s total after a 23M opening. Fantastic Four had a higher budget at 120M, but had a similar opening at 25M and was widely considered a bomb.

200M ww is not even worth the investment to studios when The Avengers and others are making a billion on a similar budget. And yes, opening weekend in the US matters a lot to producers and studios and the people actually making the movies because of pirating and bootlegging and most of the people who really want to see something are going to see it opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 140August 25, 2015 9:25 PM

It's a wax figure, not a twin R139.

by Anonymousreply 141August 25, 2015 9:27 PM

[quote] It's a wax figure, not a twin [R139].

No shit!? REALLLY???? Get the fuck out of here!!! Mind blown, dude!

by Anonymousreply 142August 25, 2015 9:28 PM

Can we get back on the topic of how this quinto fucker talks and acts like he's been out since puberty?

R141 Everybody knows Beady Couper actually has a nicer looking twin.

by Anonymousreply 143August 25, 2015 9:30 PM

R140 That was the first time I posted about Dracula Untold in this thread. I could care less about the movie or Luke Evans. I was explaining how box office works, since you clearly don't seem to understand it all. The movie made $215 million worldwide on a $70 million budget. That is a success for a movie. Box Office Mojo reported the figure, not I.

The Fantastic Four had a much higher budget and is considered a bomb because it failed in every market and will not even double its budget worldwide, which is considered a bomb. Overseas saves movies all the time. The U.S. Is only one market.

You obviously know zero about movies or the film industry if you think a movie making over $200 million worldwide isn't worth a studios time. Very few films make that kind of money. It's all about budget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 25, 2015 9:34 PM

R143 Quinto did come out at a time in his career which was risky. Clearly it didn't pay off for him. His publicists probably would have talked him out of it but he came out without telling them.

by Anonymousreply 145August 25, 2015 9:39 PM

You think he regrets his decision, r145?

by Anonymousreply 146August 25, 2015 9:40 PM

I don't think he regrets his decision because he is happier now than he would have been in the closet but he would probably be more successful if he stayed in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2015 9:42 PM

I immediately thought of Ian McKellen and Neil Patrick Harris as being equal to or surpassing Zachery Quinto. There's also Matt Bomer and a few others that are at or near his level.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2015 9:43 PM

Zach Quinto's only regret is that he didn't star in DRACULA UNTOLD.

by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2015 9:43 PM

Seems like it R146 Regretful people usually talk too much.

by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2015 9:43 PM

[quote] Zach Quinto's only regret is that he didn't star in DRACULA UNTOLD

he's ugly enough to pull it off without make up

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2015 9:45 PM

R145/r147 Stop defending the closet, you stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 152August 25, 2015 9:45 PM

I don't think he regrets it. He's just pissed no one ever threw him a parade for it the way they did NPH.

Quinto probably thought he had joined the ranks of the forever A-list when he got Star Trek. In a sense, he's probably got it made for the rest of his life, since Star Trek actors have a secure paycheck for the rest of their lives, even if they never do another thing. Appearances alone will keep him solvent. But he likely figured he was going to get role after role after role, so it was safe to come out. And now that the career part hasn't really panned out the way he'd hoped, he's looking to the community to help boost that ego.

by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2015 9:47 PM

Neil Patrick Harris is probably the most well known out gay actor. Now he's doing variety shows but that probably won't pan out. After cancellation he needs to start looking for movie roles. He's not leading man material but he could do bit parts like he did in Gone Girl and possibly romantic comedies. If ugly man Adam Sandler can do it why not Neil.

Most people actually don't know who Zachary Quinto is. If you say the guy who plays Spock they get it, but it's not like he's Chris Evans or Chris Pratt.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2015 9:50 PM

lol at R149

Saying someone is happier out of the closet is defending it R152?

R144 Looking forward to all the Dracula sequels with higher budgets and promotional tie-ins that will prove you right.

by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2015 9:50 PM

He somehow does seem like "Damn, i shouldn't have listen to those jealous gays". No matter how much he talks about gay related topics, his insecurities are showing. Bad acting on that part. His reason of coming out that was gay teen suicide issue didn't pay him well or as he expected, so he's scrapping the bottom of the barrel to create issue one after another to get recognition. Wonder what's next?

by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2015 9:54 PM

R155 I'm right that it wasn't a flop, since it unlike you I actually understand how the box office works. But it isn't the type of film that would generate a sequel or a franchise. It did however make a profit for Universal.

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2015 9:57 PM

[quote] [R144] Looking forward to all the Dracula sequels with higher budgets and promotional tie-ins that will prove you right.

Well, that likely won't happen, but if a film does well enough internationally, there will usually be a sequel, and this film did well enough internationally. Hell, even Joe Dirt got a sequel, but Dracula is an exploitable title and franchise that, besides grossing $215m ww, also likely made at least another $100m from all the ww ancillary sales (DVD, VOD, cable, free TV, airline, streaming, etc.)

It would not surprise me to see a sequel made, with a much smaller budget, primarily for the international market. So whoever posted all that isn't completely clueless, despite all the naysayers on here.

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2015 10:00 PM

He looks like a monkey.

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2015 10:02 PM

Maybe Rupert Everett can give Quinto some tips about how to deal with dashed expectations and modest fortune.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2015 10:02 PM

Quinto has a nice solid torso. If he'd muscle up, he'd look unbelievably hot.

The be looks like Caitlyn Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2015 10:03 PM

I haven't read this entire (long) thread. Have people discussed THE SLAP?

That's a potential career-ender right there.

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2015 10:04 PM

SMELL HER

by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2015 10:06 PM

If something is profitable enough there will always be sequels.

R158 is right, if anything there will be direct to dvd sequels not even starring Luke Evans targeted specifically at international markets but nothing with a huge budget and theatrical release because its US gross did not justify that.

Fantastic Four on the other hand will get rebooted again after it goes back to Marvel. Maybe Quinto and Evans can duke it out for the rebooted role of Mr. Fantastic?

by Anonymousreply 164August 25, 2015 10:07 PM

Speaking of Rupert Everett, was Helmut Berger really bi, or totally gay? And wasn't Helmut Berger openly "bi" with everyone assuming he was gay? I guess I'm not old enough, and only know Berger in the glow of his cult status. But I'd say he had a pretty fabulous career of memorable and important films, far more so than Quinto seems to be heading towards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 25, 2015 10:07 PM

Can we please stop talking about Dracula Untold? There might be a sequel, there might not. There might be a reboot in a five years with a younger, hotter actor! Who cares? You still need more time to see how much it affects Luke's career as a leading man. He dropped out of The Crow, but he landed Beauty and the Beast. Not quite leading, but it's a major role. I don't even know why I'm defending him, I don't like him.

by Anonymousreply 166August 25, 2015 10:07 PM

[quote] Can we please stop talking about Dracula Untold?

Fuck you. Go play hall monitor somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 167August 25, 2015 10:09 PM

Hitman has an 8% on Rotten Tomatoes, those are the movies Quinto gets to do. No wonder every sane gay actor wants to stay closeted.

by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2015 10:11 PM

R167 Go ahead, continue to post about it. Fill up the thread talking about one stupid movie! You'll just end up F&Fed and ignored, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 169August 25, 2015 10:13 PM

Not if we F&F you, first.

by Anonymousreply 170August 25, 2015 10:13 PM

Here's a new thread for everyone who wants to continue discussing Dracula Untold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 25, 2015 10:15 PM

R168 Sane is being out and proud. It's 2015, there's no excuse to keep quiet. But keeping quiet is at least better than playing coy/lying and using beards.

by Anonymousreply 172August 25, 2015 10:15 PM

See, if you ignore the little cunt who got her panties in a twist about the handful of Dracula Untold posts, the thread reduces by half. If she'd just shut up in the first place, there would have maybe been three posts.

by Anonymousreply 173August 25, 2015 10:19 PM

R172 It was sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 174August 25, 2015 10:29 PM

[quote]It's 2015, there's no excuse to keep quiet.

It's 2015, there's no excuse to dictate people. The difference between you and those actors is, you came out people go "oh good for you" and "whatever", but when these actors come out people will go "What a waste of handsome man!" "Aww that's a shame! I will NEVER see him the same way again!" Get that? Don't be cocky.

by Anonymousreply 175August 25, 2015 10:47 PM

He's seriously a douche. Can't believe Colton and Groff fucked him.

by Anonymousreply 176August 26, 2015 12:59 AM

[quote]Can't believe Colton and Groff fucked him.

Oh sweetie, you think they fucked me?

by Anonymousreply 177August 26, 2015 1:01 AM

I believe if he's a little more successful before he will pull off the Bradley Cooper or at least James Franco as he seems like the kind who will go aggressive for the path he chose.

by Anonymousreply 178August 26, 2015 1:13 AM

R177 You do scream top, but you don't have as big of a dick as one would expect from such an obvious seeming top. You'd easily be the bottom if you weren't into such twinky guys.

by Anonymousreply 179August 26, 2015 1:21 AM

Since he is so full of guts, why won't he tell us about his fucking position? If he says he's a top, then would he dare to be this loud if he's a bottom? Because that face alone is packed with ego.

by Anonymousreply 180August 26, 2015 1:30 AM

Isn't the guy who was announced as Barry Allen in The Flash movie a young out actor?

by Anonymousreply 181August 26, 2015 1:35 AM

I knew Zachary Quinto was gay the first time I saw him, long before he came out.

by Anonymousreply 182August 26, 2015 1:36 AM

R182 He will kill you if he reads this, he thinks he can pass as straight.

by Anonymousreply 183August 26, 2015 1:48 AM

Ain't no way Quinto can pass for straight, he's clearly gay. Voice, mannerisms etc. are all pretty obvious. He's not flaming, of course, but there's definitely a touch of sugar there. And I'm not snarking on him, I myself am at the same point on the "gay spectrum" that Quinto is. Not femme, but not entirely butch either.

To his credit, he never did the bearding shit or pretended to be straight before he came out.

by Anonymousreply 184August 26, 2015 2:02 AM

Zachary Quinto is a good actor and has given some really strong performances. However, in my opinion , he is nowhere near head and shoulders above other out gay actors in his generation. NPH, Jim Parsons, Wentworth Miller and Matt Bomer are equally good actors and have turned in strong performances in the work they have been given. NPH was excellent in HIMYM, Parsons literally owned the BIg Bang Theory and Matt Bomer gave an absolutely beautiful performance in The Normal Heart. My problem with Quinto is his egotism. Instead of addressing the real issue which is the institutional homophobia in the movie industry, he made it all about him. No out gay actor , including Zachary Quinto, is being given the opportunity to be leading men. Rather than taking the opportunity to confront this issue head on, he postures and preens that he has no peers to look to, giving validity to the false premise that the playing field is fair and equal. Mr. Quinto's talents aside, this has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with fear and discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 185August 26, 2015 2:15 AM

R185 Did you even read the full quote, in context?

I forgot about Wentworth Miller, but he he never made an impact as a film actor. He played the Lying Piece of Shit Game, so it wasn't like his gayness was preventing him from breaking out. He would have toed the Hollywood line if it had paid off for him, but it didn't. He's back on TV though, and it's good to have an out actor on shows people actually watch. He's willing to talk about gay issues now too.

by Anonymousreply 186August 26, 2015 2:21 AM

r185 He never said he was the most talented out gay actor. He said that he reached the highest level in terms of career. Neil Patrick Harris is mainly a TV actor turned host. He doesn't have much of a film career and Matt Bomer is best known for a basic cable show with bit parts here and there. If Leonardo or Bradley comes out(I doubt they will), they would be the most successful.

by Anonymousreply 187August 26, 2015 2:38 AM

The struggle is rather real..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 26, 2015 2:43 AM

Gypsies at M.'s B-day party:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 26, 2015 2:44 AM

My captain is ready for take-off:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 26, 2015 2:47 AM

He loves to show how great and fortunate his life is to the gays around the world. Even many struggling straight actors don't get to live that kind of life.

by Anonymousreply 191August 26, 2015 2:51 AM

I'll give you "The Fairy" part, R81, but "Truth" not so much. Your shame is showing, and you missed my entire point. Quinto speaks his mind and is widely criticized for it, and then bemoans that there is no leading gay man to mentor him. Well, princess, there's a lot of gay men who didn't get mentored and had to learn to lead on our own. When we stuck our foot in our mouths, we had to own up to it and learn from it. Clearly, Quinto has done neither. Nor does he want to be the change that he wants; I don't see him mentoring younger out actors... unless he gets something out of it.

As to your truth, if putting younger negative men on Truvada saves even one life that would otherwise be lost, then it's worth it. I love how people like you and Quinto let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The reality is that young gay men are increasingly seroconverting, and rather than shame them, this mentor would prefer that they openly and honestly evaluate their options. I'd rather that Quinto hadn't stepped in it in the first place because I think his message was more about shame than responsibility. Funny how every example you cite has the same issue and accusations levied against them.

R81, it seems Quinto's message of shame really resonated with you. Why are you so bitter?

by Anonymousreply 192August 26, 2015 3:43 AM

I'd say he's at a douchebag level few gay actors have ever been before.

by Anonymousreply 193August 26, 2015 3:46 AM

Andrew Rannells has Judd Apatow writing and producing an upcoming film vehicle just for him. It's already been green-lit by Universal.

Enjoy your spot at the top while it lasts, Miss Quinto.

by Anonymousreply 194August 26, 2015 4:00 AM

LOL R192 I clearly hit a nerve.

Look at R11 again for context because you are imagining things he did not even say probably based on your subjective situation and your skewed opinion of him because of his previous statements. You have to take all your emotion and defensiveness out of it and just look at reality and what he actually said. You must be positive or there's no way you would be so defensive. You threw a lot of low blows at both Quinto and I and you don't even realize that makes you sound way bitter than either of us ever could. We have nothing to be bitter about because we've been responsible and are merely trying to help people from ending up like you.

I'm not going to say you got what you deserved because no one deserves that, but it's just plain irresponsible to rely on a brand new, magic, untested pill to bareback strangers and not expect to have any consequences. These diseases and infections are so easy to prevent yet people do what they want anyway and then are surprised when they end up positive and get mad at the world for their own mistake.

If you think Quinto is shaming anyone, that is just your defensive guilt for making such terrible mistakes and having to live with the consequences. Of course we would prefer fewer people end up like you because aside from your misery, medication regimen, and increased health care expenses to everyone else, you are the reason the gay community has so many nasty stereotypes and guys don't want to come out of the closet and be associated with us. You aren't just hurting yourself with your decisions. You are literally the reason people hate us and all of this is so easily preventable you have to be a moron or mentally ill to ignore the wealth of information constantly thrown in your face to protect you from yourself. This isn't new. Larry Kramer was shouting it from the rooftops before I was even born.

This is not specific to gay people, straight people get pregnant at 14 and get STIs, too, but gay people have much greater consequences than straight people do. Gay people are not forgiven for their mistakes the way straight people are, and it sucks, but again, it's reality. I'm sorry, I wish it wasn't.

I'm not ashamed of anything. I'm grateful I've been responsible instead of having unprotected sex with hundreds of strangers and stupidly expecting no consequences. I'm not bitter, I don't have anything to regret. If this sounds bitter to you it's because you are not aligned with reality.

Young people are stupid. Their brains are not fully formed yet. They have strong biological urges. No one is saying don't have sex, we are saying be responsible and don't take stupid risks. If you want to bareback get a monogamous boyfriend, but even then there's a chance he could cheat on you.

It's like eating doughnuts all day and expecting to be thin. As good as they taste and as much as you may want them, it isn't reality to stay healthy on a diet of sugar. But just have one a week and you'll be OK. It's why your parents tell you to go to bed so you aren't tired and cranky the next day. Clearly you don't like being told what to do, but it's for your own good because you don't seem smart enough to do the right thing on your own.

by Anonymousreply 195August 26, 2015 4:50 AM

[quote]Andrew Rannells has Judd Apatow writing and producing an upcoming film vehicle just for him.

Andrew Rannells is too obviously gay to ever just have a "normal" mainstream career, though I wish him lots of success.

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2015 12:26 PM

[quote] Andrew Rannells has Judd Apatow writing and producing an upcoming film vehicle just for him. It's already been green-lit by Universal.

This is the best news I've heard all day, since it will put an end to not only Andrew Rannells' career, but Judd Apatow's, too.

by Anonymousreply 197August 26, 2015 3:20 PM

I would say Sir Ian McKellen is on a level no open gay actor ever was! He came out years ago, is still in the buisness, he did a lot of things for the community, he is a great speaker, he is successfully all over the world, he did TV, stage-rolles and movies and most fans will never forget his Gandalf! And he had one Oscar-nomination! So this is a lot and much more than Mr. Quinto ...

by Anonymousreply 198August 26, 2015 3:27 PM

How is it that you all know so much about these people? Here's a suggestion: LIVES. Get one of your very own.

by Anonymousreply 199August 26, 2015 3:32 PM

He's actually the first gay actor ever who still pays a mortgage, fucks models and stars in TV shows very few people bothered watching.

by Anonymousreply 200August 26, 2015 3:38 PM

R185 screw the leading man bit, Quinto cannot even get a good decent supporting part in a film and hasn't nabbed one since before he came out. He's so cocky and full of himself..

by Anonymousreply 201August 26, 2015 3:38 PM

[R199] Well, it takes you 5 minutes to find out this information or just watch a few movies, go to the theater, read a bit in the newspapers, whatever you do in normal live, that's all opportunities!

by Anonymousreply 202August 26, 2015 3:44 PM

r198 Sir Ian has two Oscar nominations. One for best actor and one for best supporting. Both of them after he came out. I agree with rest of your post :)

by Anonymousreply 203August 26, 2015 3:46 PM

R203 Thank you, didn't know that! Then there is much more to do for any other open gay actor now and in the future to reach this goal

by Anonymousreply 204August 26, 2015 3:55 PM

And the reason MacKellan has been able to be successful (besides the fact that he's a wonderful actor) is because he's too old to be going after leading man action roles (even when he first came out, which was at 50), he's British, which automatically gives him cache over his American counterparts, and he's not aggressively trying to be a star, just a working actor. When your goal is to be the gay James Bond (hello Rupert Everett), you set yourself up for failure.

by Anonymousreply 205August 26, 2015 3:58 PM

Show Me the Money. Gay Male Actor Net Worth:

McKellen 55M

NPH 35M

Stephen Fry 30M

Nathan Lane 18M

Quinto 14M

Matt Bomer 9M

by Anonymousreply 206August 26, 2015 4:04 PM

[quote] Matt Bomer? He had a procedural on USA network and bit parts in a couple male stripper movies...

And a GOLDEN GLOBE, beyotch!!! Which places him at the very top of gay faerie mountain.

by Anonymousreply 207August 26, 2015 4:08 PM

What about ME, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 208August 26, 2015 4:41 PM

R206 just set the record straight bitches!

by Anonymousreply 209August 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Be honest. If you were a studio and a director came to you to pitch a movie and had Quinto as their leading man, would give them financing? If so, how much?

by Anonymousreply 210August 26, 2015 4:56 PM

If the script was marketable and compelling R210.

Personally I feel "the name" factor of an actor is overrated. For many people it boils down to: is this a movie I want to see? Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 211August 26, 2015 5:15 PM

If the script was marketable and compelling [R210]. Personally I feel "the name" factor of an actor is overrated. For many people it boils down to: is this a movie I want to see? Is it any good?

You'd be 100% wrong. It's all about casting for all but the tiniest of indies, which no one is really investing in at the production level these days. If you want to get a $5-20m indie film financed, you begin with an international sales agent and a proposed list of actors for the lead roles. They will look it over and tell you what names mean anything in the international market, because if you're raising financing, that's where your first money is going to come from, international pre-sales.

by Anonymousreply 212August 26, 2015 5:19 PM

There's a lot of evidence that names don't really matter with blockbusters, but I'm not sure about indies.

by Anonymousreply 213August 26, 2015 5:23 PM

[quote] There's a lot of evidence that names don't really matter with blockbusters, but I'm not sure about indies.

But that's only because the "blockbusters" are franchise/tentpole films. If you have a super hero movie, that super hero is the star, not the actor. But even things like "San Andreas" need someone like The Rock to help bolster international sales. You may look at larger budgeted blockbusters that aren't franchise films and think there are no "names" in them, but what they contain are names that are big in the international markets. People (I suppose understandably) have this idea that North American box office is the be all-end all of success. Look at the newest Terminator film. By all accounts, it was a big disappointment stateside and will top out at $90m, but worldwide, it's already surpassed the take of the last Terminator, and it only just opened in China this weekend, where it smashed box office records. If the franchise gets another go-round, it will be because it still has enormous juice internationally.

The reason international names are so important in smaller budgeted films (anything under $30m) is because they are usually not in the action or horror genre (and horror always does well no matter what because it can be produced for so little). International audiences don't always go right to dramas or comedies and will pass them up if there isn't a name in them that's popular.

by Anonymousreply 214August 26, 2015 5:38 PM

I'm glad someone brought up Whishaw. At present, I would say the most viable out gay male actors under 50 in English-language film and TV are Zachary Quinto, Luke Evans, Ezra Miller, and Ben Whishaw. I would include Lee Pace but for the sake of convention (the so-called "The Ehrenstein Rule") he is not "out out" but if he was, I would include him with those four. I think Pace would have come out publicly already if it were not for Richard Armitage, who is struggling to get a foothold in Hollywood post-Hobbit.

by Anonymousreply 215August 26, 2015 6:08 PM

[quote] I think Pace would have come out publicly already if it were not for Richard Armitage, who is struggling to get a foothold in Hollywood post-Hobbit.

Why didn't he come out pre-Armitage, if he was that eager?

by Anonymousreply 216August 26, 2015 6:13 PM

Before Richard Armitage was like four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 217August 26, 2015 6:17 PM

Sure and he had The Hobbit, Marvel's Guardians and AMC show already booked so he was not in a hurry to tell people he fuck men.

by Anonymousreply 218August 26, 2015 6:20 PM

R208: Right, Ben Whishaw, also a great actor, he plays in his own league, he is a character actor, doing his stuff and he doesn't care much about fame. You cannot compare him to Quinto, because Whishaw is very special and very talented. I'm not sure if Quinto is at this level with his acting abilities.

by Anonymousreply 219August 26, 2015 6:36 PM

What about me? ME! ME! ME!

by Anonymousreply 220August 26, 2015 6:41 PM

Ben Whishaw is hotter and a better actor than Zach anyway. He's doing much more interesting work.

And he seems down to earth, unlike SOME people.

by Anonymousreply 221August 26, 2015 7:25 PM

I'd knock Ezra Miller off that list. He is a straight boy looking for some attention without committing to anything. Worse than Lily Rose Depp and her "Fluidly Sexual" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 222August 26, 2015 7:28 PM

Nobody wants to take up my proposition that Helmut Berger buries this current crop on the criteria of glamorous movie star stature and really interesting films?

by Anonymousreply 223August 26, 2015 8:41 PM

No, because it's wrong. Now shut up already.

by Anonymousreply 224August 26, 2015 8:48 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 225August 26, 2015 8:52 PM

Can someone provide a link to when and where Luke Evans came out? Last I heard, he was pretending that his publicist was his girlfriend and then following it up with an interview about how he doesn't talk about his private life. I am admittedly not in the loop, though.

by Anonymousreply 226August 26, 2015 8:57 PM

This is from 2002.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 26, 2015 9:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look, r227. The reason that that The Advocate reran that old article in 2011 is because that's when Evans was running around pretending to be straight. It was their way of trying to shame him about his re-closeting. I was just wondering if there had been any updates since then.

by Anonymousreply 228August 26, 2015 9:39 PM

Bitch Puh-lease.

by Anonymousreply 229August 26, 2015 9:50 PM

R228 Yeah there's been quite a lot you missed....

by Anonymousreply 230August 26, 2015 10:18 PM

It would have been better if he referenced other actors who are out, rather than making it all about him. Playing Spock is not exactly Streep or Day-Lewis level of success.

by Anonymousreply 231August 26, 2015 10:22 PM

But does anyone know who Evans is? He has been in some high profile movies and still people really don't have a clue about him. Same to a lesser extent with Lee Pace. Outside of DL.

by Anonymousreply 232August 26, 2015 10:22 PM

Evans and Pace couldn't be picked out of a lineup by the general public. I only know about them from here on DL, and I just scroll past the posts.

by Anonymousreply 233August 26, 2015 10:29 PM

public recognition is hardly a variable anymore. Matt Bomer probably has more public awareness than Luke Evans or Ezra Miller, but I guarantee you he will never get the kind of offers those two are fielding right now.

by Anonymousreply 234August 26, 2015 10:31 PM

R234, Miller is pretty set. I was talking about Evans he has been in two huge franchises and no one knows him, even by face. Same with Pace. Neither of them broke out. Nor are they headlining any movies as leads. That Dracula was some October Hollween crap and was panned from the direction, script and acting. Pace has the lead in a show that still has not broken out after its second season.

by Anonymousreply 235August 26, 2015 11:17 PM

Evans is staring in the live action Disney film Beauty & The Beast with a huge cast. I'm not sure what Pace is up or Quinto for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 236August 26, 2015 11:53 PM

r230, would you care to enlighten me instead of being cryptic about when/where Evans came out since his awful attempt at bearding? I've genuinely tried looking and I can't find anything except that old article from 2002 that he has since retracted and a statement that he doesn't talk about his private life. I'd like to support his work if he is, as posters here claim, out.

by Anonymousreply 237August 27, 2015 12:57 AM

I keep hearing that Alexander Skarsgard is ready to come out.

by Anonymousreply 238August 27, 2015 1:07 AM

[quote] I keep hearing that Alexander Skarsgard is ready to come out.

As what, talented?

by Anonymousreply 239August 27, 2015 1:07 AM

As Gay! He was good in The Diary of a Ternaged Girl.

by Anonymousreply 240August 27, 2015 1:09 AM

You Matt Bomer and Quinto gay ass lickers quit being delusional, neither of them are known outside DL and gay circle.

by Anonymousreply 241August 27, 2015 1:33 AM

So 240 posts and not a single one of them mentions Zach's relationship with his model boyfriend? They make such an amazing couple. If as people are saying (I don't believe is true) he hasn't achieved anything noteworthy professionally, one of the things he's managed to get right is to sustain a loving, stable and lovely relationship with his partner. And that in the gay scene is a rarity.

by Anonymousreply 242August 27, 2015 1:36 AM

I think ZQ has already hit the peak of his career and will be forgotten in a few years. He's a character actor, not a lead, and he's okay, but nothing that great. There's a zillion other actors just as good or better who are also handsome. I think he's incredibly lucky to have done as well as he has.

by Anonymousreply 243August 27, 2015 1:51 AM

Quinto is a phenomenal actor but he does appear to be having trouble breaking out from Star Trek. The Agent 47 movie he did was pure garbage. Evans, Whishaw and Miller's futures look better.

by Anonymousreply 244August 27, 2015 1:59 AM

I'm happy that he's with a model but don't you think his fame enables that? If he were a nobody he would not be bagging male models with that fug face and body.

by Anonymousreply 245August 27, 2015 2:04 AM

The model boyfriend is too young and looks like a girl. They look like father and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 246August 27, 2015 2:11 AM

R242 They are in an open relationship and ZQ is a manwhore. That's why Groff left him.

by Anonymousreply 247August 27, 2015 2:11 AM

That looks like a dude to me R246 albeit with long hair but a bloke nevertheless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 27, 2015 2:29 AM

Another one where he looks like himself, manly. In fact I suspect he's top and Quinto bottom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 27, 2015 2:32 AM

Gays hate out gays!!!

by Anonymousreply 250August 27, 2015 2:35 AM

He looks like a young Caitlyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 27, 2015 2:39 AM

You keep on saying that R251... do you realize Catlin is a transsexual woman whilst this is a handsome, young gay man?

by Anonymousreply 252August 27, 2015 2:47 AM

The model boyfriend Miles McMillan is from a wealthy La Jolla family. He probably has a trust fund bigger than Quinto's bank account.

by Anonymousreply 253August 27, 2015 2:51 AM

Funny, I might be wrong but they look like a normal family to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 27, 2015 2:53 AM

ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 27, 2015 2:56 AM

@R253 are you suggesting that's why Zach dates him? Surely he has his own money with the Star Trek franchise and that

by Anonymousreply 256August 27, 2015 3:00 AM

Matt Bomer is a mainstream STAR. I know he is reviled on DL because of his partner but there's no denying he's the only one of this gay bunch that str8 folks would know on sight by name.

by Anonymousreply 257August 27, 2015 3:06 AM

Bomer's PR in this site is such a bore, just like Bomer himself.

by Anonymousreply 258August 27, 2015 3:10 AM

Well, Evans latest movie, 3 Seconds, just got shut down indefinitely, so there goes that. Funding must have fallen through because they had a cast and we're shooting soon.

by Anonymousreply 259August 27, 2015 3:15 AM

Funding didn't fall through. The production company couldn't get the tax credits they wanted from the state of PA, probably because they couldn't provide enough local jobs with the production. The cast they had lined up was plenty to get funding. They will most likely move it to another site.

by Anonymousreply 260August 27, 2015 3:25 AM

[quote] Bomer's PR in this site is such a bore, just like Bomer himself

He's a GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER!!!! Like Sharon Stone . . . like MADONNA!

What's wrong with you b*itches??!!!

by Anonymousreply 261August 27, 2015 3:26 AM

Bomer is one person I wouldn't know existed if it was t for the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 262August 27, 2015 3:29 AM

R261 Jared Leto won an OSCAR, and he got a big movie deal after that. Bomer? Everyone knows it was Simon. Fake bitch won't get far.

by Anonymousreply 263August 27, 2015 3:31 AM

Where do you honestly see Zachary Quinto's career in 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 264August 27, 2015 3:31 AM

Well, r260, they lost one of their actors, too. The article said the the project is complete scrapped. It did not sound that good anyway. Paycheck movie.

by Anonymousreply 265August 27, 2015 3:52 AM

R264 rich?

by Anonymousreply 266August 27, 2015 3:57 AM

This is probably a minority opinion, but I don't think he is that compelling of an actor (although maybe I just have not seen enough of his stuff). He was effectively creepy on the beginning of Heroes when he was briefly shown in the shadows at the end of each episode, but once they made him a main character with a lot of screen time, he was pretty annoying and one-note and helped drown the show (writing did not help). I thought he was good in the first Star Trek, but the sequel, it seemed more like he was just imitating Lenard Nimoy (again the writing was not the greatest). The romance with Uhura didn't help and came off as forced and contrived, but that probably had more to do with it being out of character for Spock and bad writing than a gay man playing a straight role.

by Anonymousreply 267August 27, 2015 4:12 AM

No, I'm just saying that Miles isn't a gold digger because he has a ton of his own money.

by Anonymousreply 268August 27, 2015 4:20 AM

I don't think Zach is a gold digger, so Miles's wealthy family has nothing to do with it.

If you're a twinky actor or a gay male model, you have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 269August 27, 2015 4:22 AM

Miles is 13 years younger than ZQ. He's young and dumb. He's the perfect guy to agree to Quinto's open relationship ideas. I doubt it's about money.

by Anonymousreply 270August 27, 2015 4:24 AM

The couple is big time vain, but ZQ is trying to hide it by bitching like a politician but fails and ended up looking like a joke. He's just an actor and not even that big of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 271August 27, 2015 4:31 AM

The Evans movie shut down because Pennsylvania legislature hasn't passed a budget, and without a budget the state won't provide rebates for the production.

by Anonymousreply 272August 27, 2015 6:21 AM

He makes a good Spock. He was good on AHS 1 and 2 but they were all kind of the same note characters.

by Anonymousreply 273August 30, 2015 3:41 AM

Quito is talented but suffers from perez hilton face. Has one weird, long face.

by Anonymousreply 274September 17, 2015 9:02 PM

R274 that is a mean thing to say about someone. I think he's fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 275June 7, 2020 12:36 AM

2015 bump troll strikes again. This is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 276June 7, 2020 12:38 AM

Spacey? Unflattering as the comparison may be, " ... Over his decade-spanning career, Spacey has won two Academy Awards, a Tony Award, a Golden Globe Award, four Screen Actors Guild Awards and a British Academy Film Award. He was nominated for a Grammy Award as well as twelve Primetime Emmy Awards. Spacey received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999, and was named an honorary Commander and Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2010 and 2015, respectively. ... "

by Anonymousreply 277June 7, 2020 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!