Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classic Hollywood Dykes

Greta Garbo

Claudette Colbert

Marlene Dietrich

Barbara Stanwyck

Tallulah Bankhead

Hillary Clinton

Am I forgetting someone?

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2020 11:30 PM

Joan Crawford - Enjoyed the occasional muff.

Janet Gaynor - In a Lavender Marriage with Adrian for 20 years.

Jean Arthur

Mary Martin

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2015 4:47 AM

Why so many people assume that Hillary is a lesbian ?

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2015 5:27 AM

Agnes Moorehead

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2015 5:37 AM

[quote] Why so many people assume that Hillary is a lesbian ?

R2, I just assumed that OP was Kelt . She loves her Classic Hollywood, but can never resist getting in an Anti-Liberal, Racist, Pro-GOP jab when she has the chance.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2015 5:47 AM

Kay Francis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2015 6:36 AM

Marlene and Tallulah fucked everyone, men and women. They were insatiable bisexuals. Crawford, too.

Spring Byington and Marjorie Main were longtime lovers. Marjorie was the top, I imagine.

Hattie McDaniel made Tallulah B. stop feeling homesick for the South.

Katharine Hepburn, no surprise

Maxene Andrews, the cute brunette on the left of her sisters act.

The Merm

Jacqueline Susann

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2015 6:48 AM

Rosalind Russell always liked to hit the dance floor with pretty ladies at parties. She'd lead, of course. Her hubby, Freddie Brisson, lived with Cary Grant before he married Roz.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2015 6:53 AM

You are all going to yell at me but I don't think that Stanwyck or Hepburn were gay. Hepburn is debatable, but I believe that she WAS sexually and romantically involved with Howard Hughes, Spencer Tracy and Leland Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2015 7:02 AM

The case for Stanwyck being gay:

She married two gay men, Frank Fay and Robert Taylor. After two divorces, she never married again or was even seriously linked to any man for the last 5 decades of her life. (After their divorce, Taylor had a long-lasting marriage that produced two children, so he could've been bi, or just trying hard).

She lived with her "personal secretary" (female) for the last two decades of her life.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2015 7:22 AM

Lizbeth Scott, Lilyan Tashman, Lena Horne, Jane Darwell, Dame Judith Anderson, Mercedes McCambridge, Sandy Dennis, Capucine, and Patsy Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2015 7:33 AM

wow, tons of closeted lesbian back then. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2015 4:03 PM

Stanwyck was not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2015 6:05 PM

I think Bette Davis was the only female star from classic Hollywood who was 100% straight. All of the other ladies were lesbian (closeted) or bi.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2015 6:32 PM

Claudette Colbert?? News to me.

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2015 6:43 PM

"The only star in Hollywood that Crawford didn't fuck was Lassie."

-Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2015 6:44 PM

Has anyone read that gargantuan 1000 page (partial) biography of Stanwyck and does it contain anything about her being gay or bi, please?

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2015 6:46 PM

How is Hillary Clinton considered Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2015 6:50 PM

What about Maureen O'Hara? Very beautiful but never exuded any sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2015 8:46 PM

I haven't read it but apparently it doesn't, R16. It seems the author would only write things she could confirm from an original source herself, or something like that. Anyway, I read a bit through Google books and if you read between the lines I think she hints a little here and there. She does establish that Joan Crawford was bisexual via a story of Joan getting caught fucking a female actress at a party, and then later she says of the time that Barbara was over at Joan's place a lot, (paraphrasing) "Joan was the only one who could comfort Barbara".

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2015 9:03 PM

Gene Tierney was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2015 9:24 PM

Alla Nazimova was a silent mo vie star who allegedly started referring to the other lesbian/ bisexual act resse.s Lilyaing part of the "Hollywood sewing circle ". She had also been a Broadway star and she made a few talkies in her later years. Tallulah, Dietrich, and Crawford were big fans. Lilyan Tashman was another lesbian actress who was in a lavender marriage with the gay Edmund Lowe.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2015 9:56 PM

Edith Head?

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2015 4:09 AM

Forget that, there's something else more important, regarding, Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share this message from her! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She has commanded me to share this message on what really happened for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2015 4:15 AM

Frances Farmer? And she had mental issues the length of a river.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2015 4:27 AM

Marilyn Monroe sucked Stanwyck's cock.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2015 4:51 AM

Stanwyck was very close to Nancy Sinatra, Sr.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2015 5:18 AM

The great Myrna Loy was rumored to be a lesbian or bisexual, but there are those on DL who refute that. And since R10 has broadened "Classic Hollywood" by including Sandy Dennis and Capucine, why not add perhaps one of the biggest stars of Sandy and Capucine's era-- Dame Julie.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2015 5:30 AM

Judy Holliday

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2015 5:32 AM

Marjorie Main. Marie Dressler.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2015 5:35 AM

[quote]Claudette Colbert?? News to me.

In 1996, when she died, the National Enquirer ran one of its most infamous headlines: "Secret Claudette Colbert Took to her Grave—She was a Lesbian!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2015 5:40 AM

OMg the MM troll is a fraud! he or she said last week that she will kill herself himself to be with MM. what happened? why that annoying person is still here?

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2015 5:53 AM

Ernest Borgnine

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2015 6:00 AM

I had never heard that Kay Francis was a lesbian, but when I did a search I found this great blog about Kay Francis and Lilyan Tashman in their film "Girls About Town", a pre-code film about I saw some years ago (I have it somewhere in a video box). The blog has a lot of photos from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2015 6:26 AM

[quote]I think Bette Davis was the only female star from classic Hollywood who was 100% straight. All of the other ladies were lesbian (closeted) or bi.

Bette allegedly had an experimental romp with Mary Astor. She blew up at an interviewer who asked her about it decades later. Bette hated men even though she was straight.

Ethel Merman was not a lesbian. She knew that people often assumed she was Jewish and/or a lesbian when she was neither. "I don't even like looking at it in the shower," was Ethel's comment on pussy.

Dorothy Arzner, the only woman director in the 1930s, was well-tailored lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2015 6:59 AM

Clara Bow was not interested in women. She loved cocks so much.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2015 3:37 PM

Lizabeth Scott....big ole muff diver.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2015 5:05 PM

How about Elaine Stritch?

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2015 5:18 PM

"Bette allegedly had an experimental romp with Mary Astor. She blew up at an interviewer who asked her about it decades later."

I didn't know that, any link ?

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2015 5:41 PM

Spring Byington Debbie Reynolds-she once belonged Agnes Moorehead

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2015 5:42 PM

Sorry, R38, I read it in a book, ages ago. Couldn't tell you which one.There are many books written about Bette.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2015 5:44 PM

Thank you r38 it's ok, I just wondered why Bette would blow up at the interviewer exactly, if the interviewer had "attacked" her about it or something. Anyway good choice for Bette, Astor was hot (aka handsome in lesbian language).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2015 6:01 PM

Didn't RJ Wagner out Barbara Stanwyck as a heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2015 7:14 PM

The fabulous Edna May Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2015 7:40 PM

R23 Well that was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] After two divorces, she never married again or was even seriously linked to any man for the last 5 decades of her life.

It was established that she had a four-year affair with the bisexual Robert Wagner, who was 23 years younger than her. And had at least a one-night stand with the much younger gay actor Farley Granger. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't have at least a one time thing with Elvis when they made Roustabout, or with one or more of the boys on The Big Valley, some looks she gave Lee Majors on there wasn't exactly maternal. I don't think she was a lesbian but a dominant bisexual who preferred her men to be younger and/or weaker.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2020 12:34 AM

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, I was discussing Barbara Stanwyck in R45.

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2020 12:45 AM

R10 had the most accurate list of anyone that's posted. And, for the zillionth time, Agnes Moorehead was not a lesbian. That was just Paul Lynde being bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2020 12:52 AM

R45, that's what Wagner claims....

Not sure I'd trust him.

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2020 12:54 AM

R48 There isn't really a reason to lie about it. If he was trying to cover up his male loves, he already had his legendary love affair with Wood. There's no reason to claim one with Stanwyck, years later if it didn't happen. If he was going to invent an affair with a legendary Hollywood actress there others whose names were bigger, in 2008, when he wrote the book. To generate headlines, he could have invented one with Marilyn, Bette, or Joan. And, there would be no reason for the out gay Farley Granger to invent a romp with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2020 1:06 AM

Farley Granger was out as "bi" - wouldn't be surprised if he invented some affairs with women so straight people would buy his book.

As for Robert Wagner, Stanwyck is dead, so she can't disprove his claims

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2020 1:12 AM

If Bette had a gay romp with "The Astor " as Bette called her don't you think her cunt Daughter VD Hyman , would have spread the word by now .

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2020 1:13 AM

R50 The others I mentioned were dead as well, and would have generated much bigger headlines and interest in his book.

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2020 1:27 AM

R52, that's great if you believe everything Wagner wrote. I don't.

Not a fan of the "Old Queer Talks About All the Starlets He Fucked Who are Dead and Can't Dispute His Claims" genre

by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2020 1:46 AM

Sheree North.

Thanks to r43 for mentioning the fabulous Edna May Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2020 1:58 AM

Louise Brooks?

by Anonymousreply 55June 7, 2020 2:12 AM

That SusieLee insider said that the (lesbian) writer who was writing a Barbara Stanwyck biography was disappointed when in her researches found out that Barbara wasn't gay and all the alleged men she hooked up with turn out to be true. Also, most of the mentioned women were bi, not "dykes"

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2020 8:57 PM

R11 is right. In the future the DL will be discussing which of today's much-touted screen lesbians were really straight all along.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2020 9:12 PM

The thing is, they and their entourage are also long gone, so it's very hard to confirm any of the rumours.

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2020 9:16 PM

I will however advance one suggestion.

Dame Flora Robson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Dorothy Arzner.

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2020 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!